PDA

View Full Version : One name to put away for a rainy day...

Chadman
08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Given the lack of real depth in the Steelers RB's, it would be very wise to keep an eye on TB RB Derrick Ward who is looking like a cut-list possibility....

proudpittsburgher
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I was watching the Tampa game on replay the other day, and I was thinking the same thing. What is it with players who go to Tampa and lose all of their abilities?

frankthetank1
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
if ward gets cut the steelers should pick him up right away. he would be a great addition and would provide depth at RB that we need. i wish the steelers would of signed justin fargas, but if the steelers got ward i would be even happier

phillyesq
08-24-2010, 09:34 AM
I kind of thought of him a while ago when I saw that he was on the bubble in Tampa. Assuming that he hasn't completely lost his ability, he could be a nice complimentary piece and insurance for Mendy. The question is - who would he replace?

At this point, I'd have to think that Mendy, Moore and Redman are all locks at RB. Summers seems to be the FB by default, but perhaps if Ward is added Summers goes and is replaced by Johnson/McHugh when the Steelers use a FB, and by Legursky as the goal line FB.

Interesting decision, but Ward could be a useful guy.

ikestops85
08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Didn't Ward sign a pretty big free agent deal with Tampa? I'm just wondering if he would be willing to take backup money to play for us.

I kinda like our backs right now. With Mendy, Moore and Redmen I think we have 3 very capable backs. Summers also seems to be improving (except for his blocking).

Who would Ward replace? Moore? Have we given up on Dwyer already? Don't get me wrong ... I like Ward but I'm not sure where he would fit.

JPbucco
08-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Contract isn't guaranteed. Once Ward gets cut he'd sign for ANYTHING...especially after spending 3 years in Tampa.

aggiebones
08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure what value he would have...except for watching from the sidelines. He's not replacing Mendi. I doubt at this point he could do better than Moore who is proficient in what he does for us. Now could he at this time replace Redman in short yardage. He'd be a waste for us really. And I doubt he wants to come here to site when there's several other options for him to contribute maybe. Frankly, I think he was an over-hyped fantasy football by-product.
I'd rather we spend our time chasing down any RT that gets cut.

williar
08-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd swoop up Derrick Ward in a minute and gladly send Summers packing, if necessary. Like many have already expressed, I am not too comfortable with our RB depth. I like what we have in Mendy, Moore and Redman but I think we could use one more stud not named Summers to get us through the season. It's a long season and you know these guys are going to get nicked up. When the emphasis being put on the run game another strong RB should be welcomed.

Chadman
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
The problem with the Steelers RB's at this point is this- if Mendy gets hurt, we have Moore & Redman splitting carries- hardly an awe inspiring combination. Both players are handy role players, but not exactly #1 RB types if injury occurs. Ward has the skill set to contribute as a #1 RB if Mendy was to get hurt- in fact, he's kind of similar to Mendy in many ways.

If McHugh/Johnson is the 3rd TE/FB hybrid- Summers is expendable.

And Dwyer needs to morph into an NFL player in the next few weeks to save a roster spot for himself.

DrCalculus
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
If he does indeed get cut, I gotta think he's going to St Louis. Rams need a backup to Steven Jackson in the worst way, and Spagnuolo knows him from their days together in NY.

calmkiller
08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't want him. What will I do with my Ward Jersey when one says H. Ward and one says D. Ward. Pass on that reason alone.

1st and Goal--
08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Good idea! His name came up a lot when he was available in the past. No doubt he is a good one. CTTAI he played against the Steelers in 2008 and did a lot of damage. I remember looking up his profile before and saw how extremely injury prone he was. But I just noticed that in 08 he played in l4 games with the Giants and last year appeared in all l6 games with the Bucs, although he rarely started. Nonetheless, it seems he's not injury plagued now and would be worth looking at.

I guess nobodys buying Vincent again. Too bad, he really seems to try hard and doesn't look bad in these pre-season games.

If not Vincent, Wright, or Summers. Then the Steeler's should be looking for a 4th no? I'll bet there will be a number of quality RB's like Ward available soon. This league is just loaded with RB's. It's sad though, if they have to go out and get one.

1st and Goal--
08-26-2010, 05:01 PM
You mentioned Dwyer earlier. I forgot about him. I thought he was injured, but I just saw in another thread where he practiced today. You know, bringing someone in is always a possibility, but I sure wish they have what they need already here.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Good idea! His name came up a lot when he was available in the past. No doubt he is a good one. CTTAI he played against the Steelers in 2008 and did a lot of damage. I remember looking up his profile before and saw how extremely injury prone he was. But I just noticed that in 08 he played in l4 games with the Giants and last year appeared in all l6 games with the Bucs, although he rarely started. Nonetheless, it seems he's not injury plagued now and would be worth looking at.

I guess nobodys buying Vincent again. Too bad, he really seems to try hard and doesn't look bad in these pre-season games.

If not Vincent, Wright, or Summers. Then the Steeler's should be looking for a 4th no? I'll bet there will be a number of quality RB's like Ward available soon. This league is just loaded with RB's. It's sad though, if they have to go out and get one.

CTTAI? I suck at computer abbreviations.

stlrz d
08-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Come To Think About It?

Just a guess...never seen that used before but it makes sense in the context I suppose.

nttawwt.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
nttawwt.

I know what that one means, but at first glance, my mind first thinks of this:

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/LRG/16/1602/K82FD00Z.jpg

instead of this...

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Seinfeld_not_anything_wrong_small.jpg

:lol:

1st and Goal--
08-27-2010, 07:26 AM
[quote="1st and Goal--":2k8v5qdi]Good idea! His name came up a lot when he was available in the past. No doubt he is a good one. CTTAI he played against the Steelers in 2008 and did a lot of damage. I remember looking up his profile before and saw how extremely injury prone he was. But I just noticed that in 08 he played in l4 games with the Giants and last year appeared in all l6 games with the Bucs, although he rarely started. Nonetheless, it seems he's not injury plagued now and would be worth looking at.

Come To Think About It?

Just a guess...never seen that used before but it makes sense in the context I suppose.

nttawwt.[/quote:2k8v5qdi]

exactly! ntiwwt---as soon as I saw "nttawwt" the 1st thing that hit me was "not that I would want to" and I was going to post ntYwwt--why not? but I looked that one up [after I had no luck in finding CTTAI. Not that there's any thing wrong with that is fine-- ty.

I have been seeing in a lot of posts IIRC and OTTOMH and as you said they made sense "in the context" but I did look them up to be sure. So I started using them myself. It never occurred to me to look up and see if Come to think about it was listed. It just seemed like such a common phrase I just figured it was valid. I must admit it's not pretty, but neither is OTTOMH.

What has been happening is when I'm reading posts they are reminding me of other things. This post about Derrick Ward brought to mind the game against the Giants in 08. They beat the Steelers with the short passing game and had us backed up deep in our own territory all day. Derrick Ward was a key player in that game. CTTAI he is also a very capable runner although that day he was used mostly in the passing game.

I'm a little surprised that there is no abbreviation for such a common expression. I'm going to dig a little bit further and see if I can find something similar that RuthlessBurgher would find more palatable. LMAO

1st and Goal--
08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Oh! Oh! Close to paydirt.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/~/search/a ... ring=on&s= (http://www.acronymfinder.com/~/search/af.aspx?Acronym=think+about+it&Category=Slang&Page=1&string=on&s=)

It seems that just about anything you say there is an acronym for it. CTTOI

Shawn
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure what value he would have...except for watching from the sidelines. He's not replacing Mendi. I doubt at this point he could do better than Moore who is proficient in what he does for us. Now could he at this time replace Redman in short yardage. He'd be a waste for us really. And I doubt he wants to come here to site when there's several other options for him to contribute maybe. Frankly, I think he was an over-hyped fantasy football by-product.
I'd rather we spend our time chasing down any RT that gets cut.

Agreed I don't see much of a vertical move with Ward vs Moore. I tend to want to see what Redman can do when the regular season starts personally.