PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Clark won't play in Denver

fordfixer
08-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Steelers' Clark won't play in Denver
Monday, August 23, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10235/1082097-100.stm

Steelers safety Ryan Clark will not play in Sunday night's game in Denver for preventative health reasons, he confirmed to the Post-Gazette today.

Clark, who lost his spleen and gallbladder after playing in the high altitude in Denver in 2007, was held out of the Steelers game there last season, a Monday night game on Nov. 9. As he did last season, Clark will make the trip to Denver and be with his teammates on the sideline.

"I still want to play but I understand if I'm not going to play a Monday night game, I'm definitely not worried about this one," Clark said. "We'll still go through the same process. I'm glad it's not as big an ordeal as it was last year."

Clark, who has sickle cell trait, wanted to play last year after doctors told him he was not likely to experience the same blood reaction that caused him to lose his spleen and gallbladder. However, coach Mike Tomlin took that decision out of his player's hands and said he would not dress him for the game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10235/10 ... z0xUgXF2un (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10235/1082097-100.stm#ixzz0xUgXF2un)

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
http://blog.solar-states.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/duh-duh1233387823.jpg

1st and Goal--
08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I saw this last night on BTSC hopping around Steelers sites and blogs and it was confirmed in this mornings PG. Of course, this is just playing it safe because of that strange medical situation from a few years back.

You know, a lot of little things are falling into place this year----in a way it's sort of reminding me of 2005. Since this is just pre-season, what better way to get a good look at all the other possibles and maybe some CB/S types.

Anyway, someone will have to fill in for him. I suppose it will be that Will Allen we picked up in FA earlier. Oh, heck! I decided to check that depth chart someone posted last week and I see where Mundy is the backup to Clark. That was why I started this post. I've been trying to figure a way to scratch Mundy when I do my final 53 next week. I figured when they put in the 1st group of subs it would be Mundy and ?. Then maybe I could see that even ? was more active or alert than him. I don't know maybe this will work out since if he starts I suppose you could get a line on him. Well, if he starts, his bu will be Cro-Smith. Some other possibles are CB Keenan Lewis[is he hurt] who has been mentioned as being a possible FS and maybe longshot Crezdon Butler who supposedly has been playing several spots in the secondary. We'll see how this plays out Sunday night.

Now the following could be considered controversial. The reason I'm posting it here is because I remember reading couple years ago a poster said he wasn't too thrilled with Timmons. Mainly, because he could not see him as an ILB. No way he said. CTTAI, I tend to agree with him. Couple this with the fact that how much time has he had at OLB. Very little, if any. Of course for obvious reasons. My own observation has been that if LeBeau didn't come up with that ingenious way of using him in 2008 all this talent he has might have been wasted. So now I'm thinking are the Steelers wasting his athletic ability using him at ILB[has he really ever shown he can stop the run]. Regardless, why would it not be possible to use him as a S. Incidentally, there is a precedent for this. In 2008 some of those roles he was doing were exactly what Troy Polamalu did. Dulac, the PG writer mentioned this several times.

I have seen him in deep coverage on a WR in the EZ and it was not possible to be better. No doubt he can cover TE and/or backs out of the backfield---this was how we got to the SB in 2008. I wonder why this has never been considered. Imagine this guy pounding some of these hotdog WR's coming across the middle. This sort of crossed my mind when I saw that Clark was out for the game. What do you think?

1st and Goal--
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry ford fixer. Did not see your post about Clark. What happened was I saw this item on a Steeler blog early this morning. Then it was in this mornings PG. I typed the post out but did not send it thinking it might be too controversial or laughable.

I think that new messages or posts are not entered while I am on the board. Anyway, I was on the board for several hours and then decided to go ahead and post the thread. I checked the board as it was say around 9am or so not thinking to update it and went ahead and posted it. Consider it a reply to this thread.

BURGH86STEEL
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Not playing Clark is the right decision. Will give the younger players a chance to see what they can do.