PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney gets booted out of Giants press box

cruzer8
08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Dan Rooney gets booted out of Giants press box
02:06 PM

Recommend One of the most beloved people in the NFL is Dan Rooney, who stepped down as chairman of the Pittsburgh Steelers after becoming the U.S. ambassador to Ireland. But even though Rooney is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he apparently isn't well-known enough to be allowed to hob-nob in the press box at New York Giants games.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says Rooney got the boot on Saturday night when he flew to New York to see his team play a preseason game and reports that . . .

First off, there's not just the press in press boxes. NFL scouts sit there, often club officials are there, hangers-on, all kinds of people.

Dan flew in from Ireland just to see the game apparently, he really, REALLY misses watching his team play in person then flew back to Ireland Sunday. Sometime before the game began and after I chatted with him, one of the press box attendants ordered him out of the press box and back to the private box which he had a ticket for.

Dan left without protest, which is typical of him. Someone else saw this happen and when he was asked who the gentleman from Pittsburgh was that he had just ordered out, he was told he was the owner of the Steelers, a Hall of Famer and Ambassador to Ireland. Oops, the guy said, he didn't know.

Know your NFL history, dude.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ress-box/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/08/dan-rooney-gets-booted-out-of-giants-press-box/1)

California-Steel
08-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Also didn't one of the Rooney daughters marry the past owners granddaughter? I know I read this somewhere.

Yeah I knew I was right. Read it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Mara

Steelers>NFL
08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
No disrespect to Mr Rooney, but this is kind-of funny.

ramblinjim
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Assuming everything was done in a respectable manner, it is kind of funny. I could imagine me asking the owner of say the Pittsburgh Pirates to leave the press box as I would have no idea who he was and then feel like a complete fool later on.

phillyesq
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
This is kind of funny, but more than that, it is great to hear that Dan Rooney handled this situation with class.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Wasn't some security worker at Heinz giving Rich Eisen and Rod Woodson a hard time about getting field access at some point last year (or possibly the year before that)?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Something doesn't add up right here. What, was he dressed as a bag person, no one with him, just sort of sitting in an empty seat?

I would have imagined he would have been in the protection and company of the Giants poweratti (since he and Mr. Mara share a grandaughter). No one kind of said "Hey, that's Dan Rooney, he can stay!" ??

Signed,

Oliver Stone

eniparadoxgma
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
...back, and to the left.

feltdizz
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Ed could have said something but it would killed the story.

cruzer8
08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Wasn't some security worker at Heinz giving Rich Eisen and Rod Woodson a hard time about getting field access at some point last year (or possibly the year before that)?

Eisen was ok but Woodson didn't have his ID. You'd think the yellow HoF jacket would have been ID enough. :D

frankthetank1
08-23-2010, 05:59 PM
why was dan rooney in the press box and not his private box? i find that odd, but what a douche to tell dan rooney where to sit. what a jackass. i just lost a lot of respect for the new york football giants reading this story.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
why was dan rooney in the press box and not his private box? i find that odd, but what a douche to tell dan rooney where to sit. what a jackass. i just lost a lot of respect for the new york football giants reading this story.

I wouldn't blame the Giants. It was probably some high school kid, or 50 year old with three jobs, who had been given clear directions of the sort: "No press pass, no press box", and didn't feel he had the job security to make exceptions on the spot. Who wants to be demoted to selling beer in the nosebleed seats? :lol: :lol:

fezziwig
08-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Just goes to show how humble the guy is. First for not tossing his name and credentials around and secondly not being a camera hog like Jerry Jones, Al Davis to name a couple that mug for the camera and attention anytime they can. Last but not least, he doesn't wear flashing clothing, big jewlry. or walk around as if he is something special.

If the story is true or 100% correct, funny stuff and it makes him all the more likeable.

proudpittsburgher
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM

I wouldn't blame the Giants. It was probably some high school kid, or 50 year old with three jobs, who had been given clear directions of the sort: "No press pass, no press box", and didn't feel he had the job security to make exceptions on the spot. Who wants to be demoted to selling beer in the nosebleed seats? :lol: :lol:

You mean to tell me that no one in the press box, from either new york or Pittsburgh, recognized Mr. Rooney and told the kid/man/idiot, "Hey, this one's OK, he owns the team." And along with everyone else, LOVE that Mr. Rooney just acomodated the request to leave without dropping a "Do you know who I am?" Dan Rooney is the man.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM

You mean to tell me that no one in the press box, from either new york or Pittsburgh, recognized Mr. Rooney and told the kid/man/idiot, "Hey, this one's OK, he owns the team." And along with everyone else, LOVE that Mr. Rooney just acomodated the request to leave without dropping a "Do you know who I am?" Dan Rooney is the man.

That's what I mean, something doesn't add up!

BTW, proudpittsburgher - who's making the hit in the first of your three sig clips?

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
BTW, proudpittsburgher - who's making the hit in the first of your three sig clips?

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1203/fantasy_u_weswelker_300.jpg

ramblinjim
08-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Indeed Dan Rooney is the man. :Bow

proudpittsburgher
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks, Ruthless. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks, Ruthless. :tt2

It is odd how we refer to it as being Welkered instead of being Clarked.

When Ryan Clark took out Willis McGahee with a similar hit, we said that he was also Welkered, not Clarked.

Weird.