PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams - net (+) or (-) ?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
In the run blocking, he seems very effective.

In the pass blocking ... well, suffice it to say, I'm glad he's not on Ben's blind side.

Would it be worth it to line a TE up on the right for a lot of plays, whether run or pass? The TE could stay in and help on passing plays, and if they are there for most plays, the D wouldn't be able to key in on whether a pass or a run is coming.

Or, if there has to be that much position planning to just keep Adams on the field, is that enough evidence that he shouldn't be?

Oviedo
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I think he will be a + but not without moments of angst. Keep in mind he is coming in late and missed all the OTAs because we had no idea Colon would be hurt. he is definitely playing catch up and combined with a transition in positions it is going to be rough for awhile.

Discipline of Steel
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
OK, but how good a pass blocker was he before? I suggest the limit of his improvement there will not be very high.

D Rock
08-22-2010, 01:14 PM
He signed for an unguaranteed contract that wasn't even that large. And he did it a couple months into free agency.

There's a reason no one else picked him up for this year. He's not that good anymore.

Snatch98
08-22-2010, 01:25 PM
How many teams were looking at him as a RT is the question and did he lower his asking price for the Steelers because he liked his chances of winning? Either way it's a experiment and it's a little early in the game to REALLY pass judgment. I think once he adjusts to that position he'll be solid. As that one Aaron Smith conversation posted on this board mentions...learning to put the other hand on the ground is really difficult because of your muscle memory and reversing everything.

Lebsteel
08-22-2010, 01:34 PM
If Hills continues to impress, make him our LT and move Starks to RT. Would we be better off? Probably not, but, Hills has been impressive. I'd like to see him get more 1st team time next game just to see how stands up against the 1st team Dline of the Broncos.

Too much moving around I'm sure with Pouncey probably the new center and either Adams/Scott the new RT.

Snatch98
08-22-2010, 02:27 PM
If that's the case why not just put Hills at RT? I think Starks will continue to do well at the LT position. He's been playing there for a while now. I doubt you'll see Starks moved especially after Kugler's comments earlier in the season about not moving people all over the place on the offensive line. Kugler could also be the one responsible for Hills and his further development.

blacknblue80s
08-22-2010, 02:35 PM
If Hills continues to impress, make him our LT and move Starks to RT. Would we be better off? Probably not, but, Hills has been impressive. I'd like to see him get more 1st team time next game just to see how stands up against the 1st team Dline of the Broncos.

Too much moving around I'm sure with Pouncey probably the new center and either Adams/Scott the new RT.

After seeing Hills have no trouble handling Mathias Kiwanuka, I would at least llike to see him get a chance with the 1st team. Starks has looked horrible.

Snatch98
08-22-2010, 02:43 PM

After seeing Hills have no trouble handling Mathias Kiwanuka, I would at least llike to see him get a chance with the 1st team. Starks has looked horrible.

Pretty premature if you ask me. I'm all for Hills to get a chance to play but this is the preseason and everything is still pretty vanilla.

blacknblue80s
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Pretty premature if you ask me. I'm all for Hills to get a chance to play but this is the preseason and everything is still pretty vanilla.
Normally I would agree, but Starks has always struggled with speed rushers and now looks slower than ever. Hills pancaked Kiwanuka at least 2 times and wasn't beat once that I saw.

I would at least like to see him start a couple series with the 1st string offense in the preseason.

ikestops85
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Adams is an old dog so teaching him new tricks such as playing on the right side after so many years on the left will take awhile. I have been impressed at how well his run blocking has been and a bit dismayed at how poorly his pass blocking is. However, I think that will improve once his footwork on the other side becomes second nature to him.

We do know he will either equal or even exceed Willie's penchant for getting penalties called on him. :(

buckeyehoppy
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Slowzell's feet are frozen molasses. I didn't think that I would ever see the player who would prove to be slower than Fatt Maxx. But, I believe, I have been proven wrong. Slowzell Adams makes Fatt Maxx look like Usain Bolt. No wonder he came so cheap and was on the market so long.

And what about Max? I'm not quite ready to cede his starting spot to a guy who has only dressed for a handful of games in his career. There's something to be said for having an experienced guy in that position when the rubber meets the road. For now, I can live with Max being the LT. That might be more true the first 4-6 weeks with Ben out and where we'll be likely to run the ball more. And Max, ironically enough, isn't that bad in run support despite his slow feet. There's something to be said about throwing a huge body on a pursuing defender in the run game.

OTOH, before Hills got hurt, he was being touted as a Top 50 draft pick, once upon a time. The fact that we got him at the end of the 4th Round spoke to an injury that it took him at least a year to recover from. It then took him another year to round back into football shape and back into a football mindset. I'm not surprised it has taken this long for him to "get it".

I let the pre-season play itself out with regards to Adams. To be fair, he is moving to the other side of the line after how many years? And how long has he been working at it? But, if Jonathan Scott can play RT and do it as well as Slowzell, I'd rather keep him around. I'm assuming there was a reason that he was brought in for more than the reason that he was a student of Sean Kugler. He's got to be able to play somewhere on this line.

Shoe
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
He signed for an unguaranteed contract that wasn't even that large. And he did it a couple months into free agency.

There's a reason no one else picked him up for this year. He's not that good anymore.

Exactly.
Not to mention the fact that his champoinship caliber team didn't see fit to bring in back for another year (a la what we did with Hampton). My bro is a Dallas fans, so I've watched a lot of their games too... this guy seemed to average a penalty a game. And that doesn't seem like it'll change.

It shows some level of desperation on our part frankly, that we have to take a flyer on this guy (albeit not much a committment). I would be happier to see him walk honestly.

cruzer8
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Exactly.
Not to mention the fact that his champoinship caliber team didn't see fit to bring in back for another year (a la what we did with Hampton). My bro is a Dallas fans, so I've watched a lot of their games too... this guy seemed to average a penalty a game. And that doesn't seem like it'll change.

It shows some level of desperation on our part frankly, that we have to take a flyer on this guy (albeit not much a committment). I would be happier to see him walk honestly.

Dallas didn't want to pay him what he wanted and he wouldn't renegotiate.

phillyesq
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Compared to Colon, I don't think that there is any question Adams will be a negative. Overall, I think he'll be a slight positive.

Adams has looked very good when run blocking, and the Steelers love to run right. I'd think that a big body like Adams should help wear down defenders if the Steelers are running late to preserve a lead.

Adams hasn't looked good in pass protection, but neither has Starks or anybody else. I'm confident that a veteran will be able to find ways to get the job done, and I'm more comfortable with Adams than Scott or any other option. Depending on Colon's recovery, I think the Steelers will almost have to look to add a tackle early in the draft next year. I think Adams will be a decent band-aid, but this is a position that will need a long term answer.