PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger completes 6 of 8 passes, but Leftwich, Dixon

fordfixer
08-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Roethlisberger completes 6 of 8 passes, but Leftwich, Dixon more productive in win
Sunday, August 22, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10234/1081905-66.stm

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Ben Roethlisberger took his latest step Saturday night, 15 miles across the Hudson River from where NFL commissioner Roger Goodell put his own foot down four months ago.

This first live, televised public appearance by Roethlisberger this season played uneventfully. In fact, Roethlisberger was the only one of three Steelers quarterbacks who failed to lead his offense into the end zone.

Playing in his first NFL game since Goodell, from league headquarters in Manhattan, suspended him in April for at least the first four games of the regular season, Roethlisberger took 20 snaps, completed 6 of 8 passes, threw one interception and produced three points over nearly 1 1/2 quarters of work at New Meadowlands Stadium, playing host to just its second game.

The Steelers ultimately won, 24-17, to raise their preseason record to 2-0.

"First time out, I thought he did some nice things," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He moved us. It was a good start."

Jeff Reed kicked a 26-yard field goal for the only score in Roethlisberger's three series to start the game.

It was Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon who stole the show for the Steelers at quarterback. Leftwich rifled a 68-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace to give them a 10-7 halftime lead. Dixon came on as the third Steelers quarterback of the game and directed his first two series into the end zone to start the second half.

Isaac Redman ran 12 yards for the first touchdown behind Dixon to end a 78-yard drive. Dwayne Wright bulled over from the 2 to end an 82-yard drive under Dixon.

Roethlisberger threw for 76 yards and left with a 3-0 lead and a sub-par passer rating of 64.6.

"It was good to get back out there, that was the most important thing," Roethlisberger said. "I enjoyed that."

Tomlin was asked about the disruption Roethlisberger's suspension might be causing.

"You know, I don't care about the disruption, quite frankly, when it comes to his performance," Tomlin answered. "He's a professional. His job is to play and to lead us and he's done that. He needs to continue to do that. And we'll deal with all the other things we have to deal with in the appropriate manner."

Leftwich completed 3 of 6 passes for 95 yards and a 135.4 passer rating.

"Leftwich was back there with a little bit too much time," Giants coach Tom Coughlin complained.

Dixon completed 7 of 8 for 82 yards and is 13 of 15 for 200 yards and one touchdown pass in two games.

Quarterback Charlie Batch did not play.

Tomlin said the Steelers are on point with their plans at quarterback.

"We wanted Ben to have a productive training camp and preseason, and we wanted to get the other guys ready to play."

Not long after Roethlisberger left, the Giants took a 7-3 lead, thanks to a 75-yard drive by their third-string quarterback against the Steelers' first team. With Eli Manning (head) and Jim Sorgi (shoulder) out with injuries, the Giants turned to first-year pro Rhett Bomar to start and he played the entire game, a rarity in the preseason.

Bomar connected on a 45-yard pass to Steve Smith, who took the ball away from cornerback Bryant McFadden at the Steelers' 30 to start the Giants' only touchdown drive of the first half. That drive ended when Ahmad Bradshaw ran straight off left end as linebacker James Harrison and McFadden ran inside. Bradshaw ran 9 yards untouched into the end zone to put the Giants on top, 7-3.

The Steelers went back up in spectacular style on Leftwich's 68-yard scoring pass to Wallace. Wallace sped behind everyone and Leftwich hit him at the 15, a pass that sailed in the air for 60 yards. That score gave the Steelers the lead, 10-7.

Roethlisberger's interception with 6:02 left in the first quarter was a three-way mistake. The first occurred when right tackle Flozell Adams missed his block on Justin Tuck, who beat him to the inside and chased after the quarterback. Roethlisberger, scrambling to his right to get away from Tuck, threw deep toward Wallace sprinting down the right side -- but not nearly deep enough.

Cornerback Corey Webster had the best position to grab the pass away from Wallace, who missed his attempt to knock it down.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor got into a punching match with Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks after the fourth play of the game and both were ejected.

"I was blocking downfield and trying to finish my block, and the next thing I knew, he was throwing punches, so I tried to defend myself," Nicks said.

Tomlin was not happy about Taylor's actions, condemning "post-snap" penalties and calling Taylor's actions "dumb."

The Steelers nearly had a second touchdown but ran out of time in the first half. With the ball at the 1 and 12 seconds and no time outs left, Mewelde Moore was stopped up the middle on third down for no gain and the clock ran out.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10234/10 ... z0xJC5vL16 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10234/1081905-66.stm#ixzz0xJC5vL16)

Crash
08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Bouchette listing QB ratings is downright sad and comical at the same time.