PDA

View Full Version : Players satisfied with this year's training camp

fordfixer
08-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Players satisfied with this year's training camp
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 21, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 95812.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695812.html)

Coach Mike Tomlin said the 2010 season ultimately will determine what the Steelers were able to accomplish during training camp.

As for how Tomlin ran his fourth camp, the consensus among the players appeared to be this: difficult but fair.

The Steelers broke camp Friday after a light practice in preparation for tonight's exhibition game against the New York Giants.

"It wasn't as tough as the first one, but it was tougher than the last two," outside linebacker James Harrison said. "The first one was totally different, my way or the highway."

While not as exacting as the camp he ran in 2007, Tomlin nevertheless put his players through the paces at St. Vincent College.

The players' only off day during the three weeks of camp came after the first preseason game. The Steelers even had a light practice the day the team went to Canton, Ohio, to watch defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction.

Tomlin was mindful to get established veterans their rest and give them time off, such as mornings when practices were devoted solely to special teams.

"He took care of some of the veterans and older guys," inside linebacker James Farrior said.

Free safety Ryan Clark agreed.

"I think it was a good camp because coach Tomlin balanced the time on the field and off the field very well this year," Clark said. "Our first camp was probably too hard, guys wore down. Then some people say last year's camp was a little too easy coming off the Super Bowl. I think this was a good balance of both."

Worilds ready to go

Rookie outside linebacker Jason Worilds will make his Steelers debut tonight at the Meadowlands.

Worilds has been hampered by a tender hamstring, and the Steelers held the second-round draft pick out of last week's game as a precaution.

"If I needed to be out there, I could have been out there, but it ended up being a rainy day and anything can happen on those types of days," Worilds said. "I'm glad I sat out."

Worilds is making the transition from defensive end to linebacker and needs all of the playing time he can get, whether it is in practice or a game.

The Steelers likely will err on the side of caution tonight because they don't want Worilds to aggravate the hamstring injury.

"He's going to get a look," Tomlin said. "I don't know if it's going to be any more extensive than anyone else at his position."

Toning it down

Antonio Brown hopes for a repeat performance after catching three passes for 84 yards and a touchdown against the Lions.

What will be different, the rookie wide receiver said, is how he acts after making a play.

Brown earned the nickname "Rod Tidwell" from his fellow wideouts because of his after-the-catch theatrics against the Lions.

He attributed those to the excitement of playing in his first NFL game.

"I'm a humble kid," Brown said. "You'll see a lot more of me throwing the ball back to the ref."