PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall a versatile every-down back

fordfixer
08-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Mendenhall a versatile every-down back
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 21, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 95857.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695857.html)

Marshall Faulk rushed for 1,319 yards and caught 86 passes in 1998.

Edgerrin James followed that the next two years in Indianapolis by averaging 1,631 yards on the ground and scoring a total of 35 touchdowns.

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had an up-close look at both of those running backs during his brief time on the Colts' coaching staff a decade ago. He gets flashbacks when he sees Rashard Mendenhall.

"He is a good combination of both those guys," Arians said. "He has that kind of skill set. There is no doubt he can do what those two did."

It's an understatement that the Steelers have high hopes for Mendenhall in his third year. Despite his rookie year being limited to 19 carries and his second year marred with a benching because of a lack of attention to detail, Mendenhall is the player the Steelers are relying on in the running game.

They decided not to re-sign Willie Parker in the offseason and didn't bring in veteran running backs to compete with Mendenhall.

There was a reason for that.

The Steelers expect Mendenhall to do everything this year, meaning he will rarely come off the field.

"My goal is staying out there until I can't," Mendenhall said. "That's my role."

In this era of the running back by committee, the Steelers are looking in a different direction when it comes to Mendenhall.

"He is such an explosive player that you just don't take those guys off the field," Arians said.

Arians plans to use Mendenhall much more than the 242 carries and 1,108 yards he totaled last year. He expects to utilize Mendenhall more out of the backfield as a receiver as well. Mendenhall caught 25 passes a season ago and found the end zone eight times.

Mendenhall is expected to be the third-down back, the goal-line back and possibly the short-yardage guy, too.

"There are not a lot of those types of players in the NFL that can play in every situation," running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. "He is capable physically and athletically to play in all those areas."

That's not something that happens much anymore in the NFL. Franchises are trying to protect their star running back. Atlanta plans on cutting Michael Turner's workload this year to preserve his durability.

"That is something we don't worry about here," Wilson said. "The best guy is going to play, whether it is one guy, two guys, three guys or four guys. You always want your best players out there at all times."

Other teams simply don't have a single back they can feature the way the Steelers plan to do with Mendenhall.

"You have one guy who can run, but he can't catch," Arians said. "He is a good runner, but we need a receiver on third down. Look at Philadelphia. You don't see LeSean McCoy pass block too much."

One of the things that attracted the Steelers to Mendenhall and one of the reasons they choose him in the first round of the 2008 draft was how he became a complete running back during his junior year at Illinois.

He rushed for 1,681 yards and caught 34 passes while scoring 19 touchdowns for the Illini.

"I think it's because I can do everything well," Mendenhall said. "I did it in college, so I believe they have confidence in me doing all those things."

Mendenhall showed flashes during one of the Steelers' final training camp practices. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hit Mendenhall out of the backfield on a swing pass, and he outran the speedy Lawrence Timmons to the end zone for a 20-yard touchdown.

"If we can get him out in space," Roethlisberger said, "we think he can be special."

Captain Lemming
08-21-2010, 06:05 AM
He really can do it all. Few are so adept at swinging the ball away from his body inviting a hit to cause a fumble.

He can single handedly turn a boring game where the Steelers look to be cruising to victory into an exciting, heart pounding, finish that we may or may not lose.

Sugar
08-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds like their going to run him until the wheels fall off. :wink:

sd steel
08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
He really can do it all. Few are so adept at swinging the ball away from his body inviting a hit to cause a fumble.

He can single handedly turn a boring game where the Steelers look to be cruising to victory into an exciting, heart pounding, finish that we may or may not lose.

You will be happy he is on your team. There might be a fluky fumble here and there, but he is going to be a huge weapon for us this year. Fumbles happen, get over it.

Captain Lemming
08-21-2010, 09:52 AM
[quote="Captain Lemming":1v1zuo57]He really can do it all. Few are so adept at swinging the ball away from his body inviting a hit to cause a fumble.

You will be happy he is on your team. There might be a fluky fumble here and there, but he is going to be a huge weapon for us this year. Fumbles happen, get over it.[/quote:1v1zuo57]

Yeah you are right. I like the guy, always have but in the midst of last week, when I was thinking, not again, when will he learn? The timing set me off a little.

stlrz d
08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
[quote="sd steel":3rtljyhn][quote="Captain Lemming":3rtljyhn]He really can do it all. Few are so adept at swinging the ball away from his body inviting a hit to cause a fumble.

You will be happy he is on your team. There might be a fluky fumble here and there, but he is going to be a huge weapon for us this year. Fumbles happen, get over it.[/quote:3rtljyhn]

Yeah you are right. I like the guy, always have but in the midst of last week, when I was thinking, not again, when will he learn? The timing set me off a little.[/quote:3rtljyhn]

Fumbles do happen but a lot of Mendy's could be prevented with better ball security. The one against Detroit is the type that is unacceptable. He's running down the field and someone just poked it out.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Adrian Peterson needs to work on his ball security after a recent bout with fumblitis as well. That aspect of a RB's game can be fixed. Just ask Tiki Barber.

Sugar
08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Adrian Peterson needs to work on his ball security after a recent bout with fumblitis as well. That aspect of a RB's game can be fixed. Just ask Tiki Barber.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I don't think that Mendy is on Peterson's level as a runner, but I'd love to be wrong about that.