PDA

View Full Version : another reason

birtikidis
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
to cherish the Rooneys.
with the loss today, the Pittsburgh Pirates clinch their 18th straight losing season. A record for all 4 major sports.
to those of you who complain with the Rooney way, i think this puts it in perspective no?

Sugar
08-20-2010, 10:27 PM
It's Football v Baseball, maybe these BB people should appreciate the Steinbrenner way since the Yanks are the winningest team in that game.

birtikidis
08-20-2010, 10:34 PM
well, it comes down to ownership making the right choices in how to run a team. the owners of the pirates aren't interested in building a good team.

sd steel
08-20-2010, 11:35 PM
It's Football v Baseball, maybe these BB people should appreciate the Steinbrenner way since the Yanks are the winningest team in that game.

Hey the Padres are getting it done this year without a big payroll. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.....except the Buccos of course.

Wallace108
08-21-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm glad I hate baseball ... I wouldn't be able to put up with the Pirates' ineptitude.

Sugar
08-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm glad I hate baseball ... I wouldn't be able to put up with the Pirates' ineptitude.

:Agree

Of course, I come here to talk football. I don't care at all about the other games.

grotonsteel
08-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Nutting makes his profit from the revenue sharing agreement in MLB. His business model is to keep the payroll as low as possible and earn the profits.

I think MLB needs to crack whip on such franchises. These small market franchise are given money to improve their team but Nutting is literally abusing it by pocketing the money himself instead of spending in on team payroll.

SteelHoss
08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Nutting makes his profit from the revenue sharing agreement in MLB. His business model is to keep the payroll as low as possible and earn the profits.

I think MLB needs to crack whip on such franchises. These small market franchise are given money to improve their team but Nutting is literally abusing it by pocketing the money himself instead of spending in on team payroll.

:Agree Speaking for myself, I am very grateful that the Rooneys are the Rooneys!
Not only are the Rooneys football people...they are sports loving people. I don't know that it can be said that Nutting is baseball loving or sports loving. Back in the day the Pirates were owned and managed by baseball loving people. The Pirates fielded some competitive and championship teams during that era. Former General Managers, Branch Rickey, and recently passed away, Joe L Brown, were instrumental in building and fielding those teams. As with the Steelers...the Pirates were adept at finding and developing young players and signing the right veteran players when needed. They were also consistant with their manager choices...Danny Murtaugh, Harry Walker, Chuck Tanner. Jim Leyland. They had in place a formula for winning and they didn't have to break the bank to do it. Sound familiar? :2c :)

feltdizz
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM

They had a chance to bring Jim Leyland back (he said he was interested in the job) and the owners said no... that right there let me know they don't care about winning.

great stadium... horrible team.

Lemieaux tried to buy the Pirates as well but he wasn't able to. I've never seen a team so content with losing. I remember We Are Family and Stargill and Parker, Pena, Bonds and Bonilla..

it's a shame.

AkronSteel
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
As much as I agree with being happy that the Rooney's are our owners and run the best NFL franchise around. I actually think the Pirates are finally headed in the right direction. There is a ton of young talent not only on the MLB roster but also scattered through the minors. I think we all may be able to enjoy baseball in the Burgh again real soon!!!! It's been a long time coming but I think they are actually about to turn the corner. Take it for what its worth.....I'm a life long Pirates fan and the best memories I have are from the Bonds, Van Slyke and Bonilla days!!! Just get some darn starting pitching and another quality right handed bat and they could compete sooner as opposed to later!!!! God we can only hope!!!! LOL

:2c