PDA

View Full Version : Does this make me an evil person?

ramblinjim
08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I've never been one to want a player to get injured; I just don't. Now don't get me wrong, if we are playing the Patriots in the AFC Championship game I would prefer that Tom Brady is in his hotel room, laying in the bathroom, doubled over in pain with the flu and cannot under any circumstances actually play in the game. But I don't want anyone gunning for his knees or anything like that. Heck, he can feel just fine the next day for all I care.

But there is a piece of me that would like to see Favre get so beaten up in one of these games that he finally just says "I'm done. My doctor said I can't play anymore." I'm not a Favre hater but I'm so sick of the Favre-love that this guy gets. Yeah, it's cool that he's played for 20 years and he seems like a good guy in interviews, sure sure sure. But do I have to continually hear how he's the greatest quarterback of all time? :HeadBanger Blah, I'm sick of it.

Guess what Favre has that Ben has? One fewer ring, yeah that's right. Favre has one SB ring and the one he has may well have been on a team of the decade style team. He's played on GREAT teams that didn't win the Superbowl. Last years Minnesota team was stacked, there were teams in Green Bay that were loaded and he couldn't get it done because of his propensity to choke in big situations.

Favre is a great player and he deserves Cal Ripken like props for his longevity but come on, enough of the Favre love already.

Ok, I'm done.

MCHammer
08-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Favre's embarrassing "look at me" routine has caused him to lose a lot of standing in my eyes, but if we're gonna go down this route I'd rather imagine a Polamalu induced injury to a few mouthy Bengal receivers during a game.

grotonsteel
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
To be frank i don't care about a Favre...but he is one heck of a drama queen...

Only guy that pi$$es me off is that Marsha...a.k.a Tom Brady....maybe because i was in NE region for 3 years...Those Chowda eating people always made me hear Brady is this, Brady is that...Steelers win because of refs.....Tonio did not had that TD....Blah Blah Blah...

Another thing is the treatment refs give to Manning and Brady.

I really hope Steelers whack Marsha's ar$e big time this season.

proudpittsburgher
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
It's not evil, it's natural. Favre brings this on himself with his act. He knows what he is doing, and everyone else does too, but he just keeps doing it. Look, look, look at me. I can't stand that, so I too wish Favre not necessarily gets hurt, but has a season of disappointment, and then watch the player support turn on him. That would be pay-per-view for me.

feltdizz
08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
If Favre has a bad year he is 41 and that will be the excuse. I hate how he said he came back because he felt he owed the team. They offered him more money.

The reason I want to see him rolled off the field is because that is the only way the guy will leave. I don't mind if he plays 4 more seasons but stop the bogus "I don't know" act and just play.

It's sad to see a football hero turn into a side show but that is exactly what Brett is turning into. The guy can easily put up decent stats with the team he is on and he is fun to watch at times but the soap opera is old and watchiing guys fly down to Mississippi to kiss his Wranglers is kinda pathetic.

The schedule is torture this year, guys are still hurt (because they had to play us last year, LOL) and they aren't used to going this deep into the playoffs. I expect a 7-9 year from them.

phillyesq
08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't wish any serious injury to Favre, but when the Steelers played them last year, I was rooting for Silverback to implant him in the Heinz Field turf, no question.

Sugar
08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I figured the guy just didn't want to do camp so he waited until it was half done before comitting.

He doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I really don't see the Vikes winning with or without him, though they may come close again.

The only thing I think of is how I would feel betrayed if Ben retired and then came back to play for the Browns or Bengals. That's how the Green Bay fans must have felt.

MCHammer
08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
True, but as I recall Favre started this garbage at GB. He was reported at the time as being a jerk in terms of mentoring Rodgers, who didn't get the opportunity to start as #1 until his 3rd season in the NFL. And that was after the whole first coming out of retirement saga that ended with Favre going to the Jets.

I don't know anyone in GB, but I would think at a certain point a large portion of the fan base must have been ready to let him go. That wouldn't make it any easier to see him come back as a Viking, but I honestly think I would resent Favre a lot if I was a GB fan.

At some point, his antics approached selfish disloyalty in my opinion. He arguably stunted the professional development of Rodgers for years and who knows how that affected the team's drafting decisions as they had to wonder what QB/offense they would have for several years.

I also recall watching more than a few games in his last couple years at GB where his heart wasn't in the game and he more or less carelessly chucked interceptions at times or otherwise didn't give it his all. Just my opinion, but my disgust with Favre began a while ago and if anything I like him more now than I did his last few years at GB.

JTP53609
08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I support favre and here is why...

1. Is it Brett Favre or the media trying to make stories up of he is back he is not...sure he did retire in 2008 but then came back, but other than that there was alot of "sources say that brett favre is retiring" "sources say he is coming back"...the sources are tying to make a story when he has not even done anything. We all agree that the media loves to make stories out of nothing and I believe they do the same thing with Favre to a certain extent.

2. There are much worse things a guy can do other than be undecided on whether or not to keep playing football. He is not hooking up with hookers (michael irvin) he does not go around and make a fool of himself by constantly being arrested for drugs or dumb things. He just likes playing football and if he quits then he will never play it again, so I say, take your time and make a decision, somtimes you have to think of yourself, especially if you are a polished veteran who still has great skill.

If you hate him becasue the media reports his every move and shows his plane in the air and his SUV riding around and his loud truck along with him throwing to high schoolers, than why do you hate him should'nt you hate the media??

cruzer8
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Favre does this every year because he doesn't want to go to camp. The media turns it into the circus that it becomes. Blame the media. Favre uses the retirement excuse because he can't come right out and say, "I just don't want to be there for camp". Seriously, if he wanted to be with the team he'd still be there injury and all. He just didn't want to be in camp. That's why for 2 seasons in a row now he has reported the day camp has broken.

And they did offer him extra money but the reports are that he isn't taking it.

PS - I get sick of hearing about it too.

Dee Dub
08-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I predict that Farve is going to the Well one too many times. This year Father Time is going to get him. He is going to wind up with an embarrassing performance this year and be forced to go out in a not so memorable way.

You cant keep tempting the law of averages. And do so with a pompous/selfish approach.

ramblinjim
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, for me it's more the media. I'm sick of hearing about Rich Eisen camped out at his house. :HeadBanger

feltdizz
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM

1. Is it Brett Favre or the media trying to make stories up of he is back he is not...sure he did retire in 2008 but then came back, but other than that there was alot of "sources say that brett favre is retiring" "sources say he is coming back"...the sources are tying to make a story when he has not even done anything. We all agree that the media loves to make stories out of nothing and I believe they do the same thing with Favre to a certain extent.

2. There are much worse things a guy can do other than be undecided on whether or not to keep playing football. He is not hooking up with hookers (michael irvin) he does not go around and make a fool of himself by constantly being arrested for drugs or dumb things. He just likes playing football and if he quits then he will never play it again, so I say, take your time and make a decision, somtimes you have to think of yourself, especially if you are a polished veteran who still has great skill.

If you hate him becasue the media reports his every move and shows his plane in the air and his SUV riding around and his loud truck along with him throwing to high schoolers, than why do you hate him should'nt you hate the media??

Favre texted a few teammates saying "This is it" He has a website that had "stay tuned" on it a week ago.

The guy loves the attention and this is why some are tired of him. He acts like he isn't involved but we all know the guy is calling up ESPN and texting corny things to keep his name in the news. He probably watched the young guy have a decent game and then made up his mind. He just can't let the youngins have their fun.

now as far as shady things go... when your OL is keeping Strahan from getting the sack record and you run a bootleg into his arms it demeans the game. When your team is iin a position to go to the SB and you throw a selfish pick instead of letting the FG kicker get a shot it demeans the game. When you intentionally say effe it and throw 2 of the worst INT's EVER in the playoffs to lose the game because you don't really care..

the problem with Favre is he has a Kobe-ish type personality without the extra rings. There are times when Kobe deliberately refused to shoot to prove a point. There are also times Favre intentionally goes gunslinger to prove a point.

Djfan
08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
He really retired IMO, but the reason for coming back for his daughter came up. Sounds reasonable to me.

If I could play and do it on my terms I would, too. He is still better than many QBs in the starting position.

BTW, Stlrzd lives in Green Bay.

Also, I hope Marsha gets planted like a corpse soon. He's the slimiest QB out there.

Ghost
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
I gained a TON of respect for the Packers 3 seasons ago when they told favre to pound salt; they had no interest in his yearly horse sh!t regarding whether he'd play or not.

There are most definitely some execs/ coaches sitting back laughing and patting themselves on the back for not having to deal with this carnival year after year.

I am also surprised no Viking player has come out and said he thinks the situation is ridiculous and he can't respect the so-called leader of a team acting this way.

JTP53609
08-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Favre texted a few teammates saying "This is it" He has a website that had "stay tuned" on it a week ago.

The guy loves the attention and this is why some are tired of him. He acts like he isn't involved but we all know the guy is calling up ESPN and texting corny things to keep his name in the news. He probably watched the young guy have a decent game and then made up his mind. He just can't let the youngins have their fun.

now as far as shady things go... when your OL is keeping Strahan from getting the sack record and you run a bootleg into his arms it demeans the game. When your team is iin a position to go to the SB and you throw a selfish pick instead of letting the FG kicker get a shot it demeans the game. When you intentionally say effe it and throw 2 of the worst INT's EVER in the playoffs to lose the game because you don't really care..

the problem with Favre is he has a Kobe-ish type personality without the extra rings. There are times when Kobe deliberately refused to shoot to prove a point. There are also times Favre intentionally goes gunslinger to prove a point.

he may have of sent a text to his teammates but the media decided to make it breaking news even though he never officially said anything other than type a few words on a phone....I did not know he called ESPN asking for attention, I know they love reporting lame news and watching him throw football to high schoolers fits that category.

as for 2 of the worst ever interceptions ever in a playoff game, both may have been bad, but they were no way near as bad as two thrown by neil in super bowl 30....to play 20 years and have a career year in year 19 is pretty impressive, I say all the power to him and I will be cheering for them...I especially love the way they beat the cowboys last year too

feltdizz
08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

he may have of sent a text to his teammates but the media decided to make it breaking news even though he never officially said anything other than type a few words on a phone....I did not know he called ESPN asking for attention, I know they love reporting lame news and watching him throw football to high schoolers fits that category.

as for 2 of the worst ever interceptions ever in a playoff game, both may have been bad, but they were no way near as bad as two thrown by neil in super bowl 30....to play 20 years and have a career year in year 19 is pretty impressive, I say all the power to him and I will be cheering for them...I especially love the way they beat the cowboys last year too

I said playoffs.. not the SB. LOL!!!

I was impressed by Favre's play last year but in all honesty... Rosenfel??? or whatever the QB's name is or even Tavaris Jaskson can win at least 8 games with the team they have right now. I don't know... It's like Michael Jordan coming back to play for the Lakers or Pistons instead of the Wizards... Not that Favre is in Jordan's league but I would have been more impressed if Favre stayed with the Jets instead of faking his retirement to go to a stacked team.

Sugar
08-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I was impressed by Favre's play last year but in all honesty... Rosenfel??? or whatever the QB's name is or even Tavaris Jaskson can win at least 8 games with the team they have right now. I don't know... It's like Michael Jordan coming back to play for the Lakers or Pistons instead of the Wizards... Not that Favre is in Jordan's league but I would have been more impressed if Favre stayed with the Jets instead of faking his retirement to go to a stacked team.

The point is that the Vikings were a perfect storm in that they are a team that is QB away from potentially getting to the promised land. They have all the other pieces in place but not a good QB.

It's kind of like if the Steelers would have been able to get Marino with only a couple years left in him. We were a QB away but couldn't get there.

rpmpit
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I've done a total 180 on Favre. Used to think he was the biggest doosh in football for his treatment of Rogers and how the media kisses his azz.

But how would you guys feel if you were still being very productive at your job, but your bosses/owners hired your replacement? Obviously the Packers mistakenly thought Brett was through when they drafted Rogers. I love Rogers. His play reminds me of Bradshaw. But you don't bring in a franchise qb rookie, when you have a HOF franchise qb on the roster who is still playing well. If Brett told the Pack that he was retiring, then my point is totally invalid.

Also, if you guys haven't seen the Joe Buck HBO interview with Favre last year, check it out. IIRC, he basically says that when he decides to retire, he genuinely feels that way. But then he thinks about being away from the game and changes his mind. He also says he doesn't understand why people care so much. Just watch the video.

So I hope he does well this year. I'll be rooting for him unless (of course) we see them in the SB.

Captain Lemming
08-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I've done a total 180 on Favre. Used to think he was the biggest doosh in football for his treatment of Rogers and how the media kisses his azz.

But how would you guys feel if you were still being very productive at your job, but your bosses/owners hired your replacement? Obviously the Packers mistakenly thought Brett was through when they drafted Rogers. I love Rogers. His play reminds me of Bradshaw. But you don't bring in a franchise qb rookie, when you have a HOF franchise qb on the roster who is still playing well. If Brett told the Pack that he was retiring, then my point is totally invalid.

Also, if you guys haven't seen the Joe Buck HBO interview with Favre last year, check it out. IIRC, he basically says that when he decides to retire, he genuinely feels that way. But then he thinks about being away from the game and changes his mind. He also says he doesn't understand why people care so much. Just watch the video.

So I hope he does well this year. I'll be rooting for him unless (of course) we see them in the SB.

When they drafted Rogers, Brett was an interception machine who appeared to be on a severe decline.

Secondly, I do not for one minute believe Brett "intends" to be done with the game, I dont care what he says. He uses the "possibility" of retiring to manipulate his situation. Change teams, more money, no training camp, ect. I dont hate him for it but that is all it is.

Do you EVER think he will be in at the start of training camp again? The answer is obvious.

Let me tell you something else. Farve will not stop playing for good until his ability to play diminishes. He will continue the annual retirement charade in order to avoid a long camp, and get his way.

stlrz d
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM

When they drafted Rogers, Brett was an interception machine who appeared to be on a severe decline.

Secondly, I do not for one minute believe Brett "intends" to be done with the game, I dont care what he says. He uses the "possibility" of retiring to manipulate his situation. Change teams, more money, no training camp, ect. I dont hate him for it but that is all it is.

Do you EVER think he will be in at the start of training camp again? The answer is obvious.

Let me tell you something else. Farve will not stop playing for good until his ability to play diminishes. He will continue the annual retirement charade in order to avoid a long camp, and get his way.

Dead on. They drafted Rogers because Favre was faltering AND mulling (publicly) retirement at that time. This all started when Holmgren left. That guy kept tight reins on Favre...when he left that was all out the window and Favre did what he wanted. People got on Barry Bonds for having his own, separate section of the clubhouse. Favre had his own, separate section of the locker room complete with a recliner, a TV, internet access, a fridge and more. He was portrayed as the ultimate teammate, but he wasn't really.

The bottom line to Favre is he wants to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it and he doesn't ever, ever, ever want to be a part of training camp.

You guys would be shocked to see how many lifelong Packers fans have Jets and/or Vikings Favre jerseys that they wear proudly. I have tried telling these people many, many times that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy handled the Favre situation correctly and they want no part of it. They are Favre fans period and in their minds he can do no wrong. Of course they're mostly folks who grew up with Favre as their QB...or chicks...or both. One woman I work with actually said just a few weeks ago when the Favre retirement talk came back up again, "Ugh...that means I'm going to have to watch Packers games again and I can NOT stand watching Aaron Rogers play." :lol: I just shake my head in disbelief.

feltdizz
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Are franchises supposed to wait until a HOF player retires and then go out and hope to find a great replacement? If Ben starts talking about retirement in 10 years should we pass over a great QB in the draft so we don't hurt his feelings?

The only reason Favre felt disrespected was because his retirement talk was a lie. If he was seriously thinking about retiring he would have no problem with Rodgers and would help to groom him to take over. Instead he did the exact opposite because more than likely he was bluffing and the FO called him on it.

rpmpit
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Are franchises supposed to wait until a HOF player retires and then go out and hope to find a great replacement? If Ben starts talking about retirement in 10 years should we pass over a great QB in the draft so we don't hurt his feelings?

The only reason Favre felt disrespected was because his retirement talk was a lie. If he was seriously thinking about retiring he would have no problem with Rodgers and would help to groom him to take over. Instead he did the exact opposite because more than likely he was bluffing and the FO called him on it.

Can't argue with ya, dizz. Even after I wrote that I started thinking basically what you replied with. I don't know. If Favre really is this evil practitioner of dooshbaggery, he's fooling me. Though in the past I've been one of his biggest critics on here. Maybe its just that I really don't care about him and unless we're playing them in the SB, he'll really have no impact on our season.

JTP53609
08-21-2010, 10:40 PM
football is not like working a 8-4 job, once you quit football your done for good. He does not want to quit, and he knows that once he does than he will never get to play again. Is he perhaps a little egotistical, maybe, I dont know and neither do any of you, he hates camp, he does'nt care what people think and he plays and plays well.

fezziwig
08-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Favre doesn't matter to me in the least. I don't wow over his accomplishments. The guys a good quarterback a little on the undisiplined side or a lot on that side and I think he cost his team at times with that kind of stuff. I have a lot of respect for him on being tough enough to not have missed a game that's, impressive.

Now for his circus or soap opera stuff, he's a real drama queen and I don't think drama queen comes close to describing him with the stupid crap he pulls. His antics are like stuff for the Inquire. Next thing you know, Brett will be late for next season because he was abducted by Aliens. He said this is his last season but you know it will be a three ring circus then too.

Brett has one Super Bowl win and how many other quarterbacks have more ? I truly believe Ben has surpassed him in being a better quarterback.

feltdizz
08-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Wasn't it a year or 2 ago that Favre said he wasn't reporting to camp on time because he had to plan his daughters party? The guy has quite and he has retired already and come back. There is no gone for good with Favre. The guy can play for as long as he likes but the text messages and website updates acting like this is the final hoorah is tired news.

I blame ESPN too because they actual jump at every text he makes.

stlrz d
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
football is not like working a 8-4 job, once you quit football your done for good. He does not want to quit, and he knows that once he does than he will never get to play again. Is he perhaps a little egotistical, maybe, I dont know and neither do any of you, he hates camp, he does'nt care what people think and he plays and plays well.

That describes most players. Should they all do the same thing?

fezziwig
08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
The thing about all the media information that is given about Favre, they actually act like someone cares. They cover this guy as if the countries are meeting to decide upon world peace.

ikestops85
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Favre used to be one of my favorite players. The guy had a style and excitement about him that I loved to watch. I have often said that Ben reminds me of a young Brett Favre with that gunslinger mentality and the ability to look horrible one minute and Gawd like the next.

He also seemed to be the perfect teammate. Then he started the retirement saga crap. The first time he pulled it I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When he did it the next year you could tell he just wanted to get out of GB and play for someone who had a chance to win it all. It's gone downhill from there.

How can he begin to think of himself as a good teammate when the team doesn't know where they stand regarding the salary cap? They don't know who to go after in free agency and they don't know who to target in the draft. Then add to that the fact that his teammates are working their arses off in training camp and he is lounging around his ranch schmoozing with the sports reporters.

The guy is the definition of prima donna. :loser

Captain Lemming
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Favre used to be one of my favorite players. The guy had a style and excitement about him that I loved to watch. I have often said that Ben reminds me of a young Brett Favre with that gunslinger mentality and the ability to look horrible one minute and Gawd like the next.

He also seemed to be the perfect teammate. Then he started the retirement saga crap. The first time he pulled it I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When he did it the next year you could tell he just wanted to get out of GB and play for someone who had a chance to win it all. It's gone downhill from there.

How can he begin to think of himself as a good teammate when the team doesn't know where they stand regarding the salary cap? They don't know who to go after in free agency and they don't know who to target in the draft. Then add to that the fact that his teammates are working their arses off in training camp and he is lounging around his ranch schmoozing with the sports reporters.

The guy is the definition of prima donna. :loser

Hey I thought only RECEIVERS were prima donnas.

What is so funny about Farve is that he has created this "image" which is the exact opposite which makes some inclined to excuse him. Only after he pulls this stuff half a decade are people realizing his game.

Again I dont hate him for it, the guy is old, I would do the same in his shoes if I had the clout, but I dont buy the "aw shucks I'm just a regular guy with an old pickup" stuff.
Bradshaw, yeah he was that dude fo-real when he played.

Let Randy Moss try that baloney and everyone would scream bloody murder for his selfishness.

feltdizz
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baa aa ack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olxjZHO_iws&feature=related

This is why he needs to get his azz in camp. Every year the game is faster and he is a little slower.