PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why I didn't notice Urbik.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 07:29 AM
He didn't play. Is there a message???

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content ... elions.jpg (http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/participationoffenselions.jpg)

Oviedo
08-16-2010, 07:56 AM
The way I read the chart he played RG, LG and Center. Pretty certain I saw him on the field.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
My bad. I didn't scroll far enough to the right.

phillyesq
08-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I only saw him in with the third team. He didn't do much that caught my eye, either positive or negative.

Oviedo
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
What about this scenario shaping up?

With Urbik getting lots of reps at Center, it appears to me that they are setting the stage to cut Hartwig.

Pouncey becomes the #1 Center
Legursky is the #2 plus back up Guard
Urbik is back up Guard and #3 Center

It is all incumbant on Pouncey proving he can do the job but this appears to be what they may be hoping for.

papillon
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM

With Urbik getting lots of reps at Center, it appears to me that they are setting the stage to cut Hartwig.

It is all incumbant on Pouncey proving he can do the job but this appears to be what they may be hoping for.

This wouldn't make me sad at all.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM

This wouldn't make me sad at all.

Pappy

I'll buy what your sellin', Ovie, and second Pappy's motion!

Pouncey seems to have the kind of position versatility the Steelers have needed for a while. Most talented OL players can handle duties at more than one OL slot, even if they have a starting position. Pouncey looks like he could play anything short of LT at this point. But the line really needs to build some confidence from the C outward and Pouncey looks like a natural in that role.

I think Hartwig's days with the Steelers are numbered. He's an average player where you need above average results. Pouncey might also improve the play of Essex and Kemo and there is no downside with him right now. The Steelers need to, at least, pair him with the starters for a series or two and see what hand they've been dealt. The Giants game would be a great place to start.

aggiebones
08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
While I'd hate to lose a veteran on that line and I think we could survive another seasons of Hartwig, I would not be unhappy with that result.
If Urbik has shown anything, I'd give him more time. We don't want to lose any young OL to keep Hartwig. But I have a felling we will.

Shawn
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Did you see how poorly Legursky played? He got abused.

pfelix73
08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
There is no way they will cut the veteran Center this year. Why?

:tt1

Eddie Spaghetti
08-16-2010, 12:02 PM
how the mighty have fallen.

some of the personnel gurus on this board had Urbik entrenched as the future of the OL.

they refuse to admit Ramon Foster is a much better player even though he was an UDFA.

Shoe
08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I thought I saw Urbik out there, actually playing Center. I could be wrong, but I thought he was #65; and I saw a 65.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Urbik did play. He first stepped on the field to play RG when Legursky moved to FB on goaline. Then he lined up at LG and finished at C. Now, he didn't stand out but did some good things as well as some bad things. I didn't see him get abused like Essex and Legursky. He also didn't lumber around down field & on the 2nd level like Foster. I'll be honest, there was only one interior lineman that clearly stood out and that was Pouncey. Kemo missed a couple of assignments but was solid other than that. Hartwig, Essex, Foster, Legursky did nothing to seperate themselves from Urbik. I also have to give some credit to Hills. He played with good leverage and quick feet. Koogs teachings were evident because I saw him cutting LBs twice at the second level. He played with tenacity and was working until the whistle. He was the 2nd best OT on the field. Did I say that???? I expect Adams to get better in pass protection. His run blocking had me sitting up straight to take notice. Still a road grader. I hope he settles in there in pass protection. J Scott...Terrible at times. Those times were when he was on the field.

feltdizz
08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
how the mighty have fallen.

some of the personnel gurus on this board had Urbik entrenched as the future of the OL.

they refuse to admit Ramon Foster is a much better player even though he was an UDFA.

Everyone talks him up on here. However I hear NOTHING from coaches or writers about his progress.

pfelix73
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Yep, so true. Quote from Eddie) Well Foster has playing time experience as well. Something that is invaluable.

There are just too many bodies for 9 spots. Urbik is done, unless something miraculous happens.

:tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
It was only one game...So take this for what it is worth. It is also difficult to guage because of who is on the field playing against them. But I would grade the OL play as follows based upon production when they played.

(Excluding Jones, Brooks, & Jolly)
Pouncey
Starks
Kemo
Hills
Foster
Adams
Legursky
Urbik
Hartwig
Essex
Scott

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Urbik is currently 4th string at RG (the position he was drafted to play) behind Essex, Pouncey and Legursky, 4th string C behind Hartwig, Pouncey and Legursky and 3rd string LG behind Kemo and Ramon Foster.

Kraig Urbik = Bruce Davis

calmkiller
08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Starks LT
Kemo LG
Pouncey C
Essex RG
Adams RT

Legursky G/C
Urbik G/C
Hills T
Foster G/T

After only one game I think this is how it will play out. Its still early but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out this way.

Oviedo
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Starks LT
Kemo LG
Pouncey C
Essex RG
Adams RT

Legursky G/C
Urbik G/C
Hills T
Foster G/T

After only one game I think this is how it will play out. Its still early but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out this way.

:Agree

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Starks LT
Kemo LG
Pouncey C
Essex RG
Adams RT

Legursky G/C
Urbik G/C
Hills T
Foster G/T

I agree with the 9 you picked. I just hope it isn't Essex at RG at the start of the season.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Urbik will not make the team. Either Legursky or Essex will start at RG, and Pouncey at C. They keep Hartwig for b/u. Other OL will be Starkx, Kemo, Essex/Leg, Hills, and Foster and the kid from James Madison. Remember where you heard it first.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Urbik will not make the team. Either Legursky or Essex will start at RG, and Pouncey at C. They keep Hartwig for b/u. Other OL will be Starkx, Kemo, Essex/Leg, Hills, and Foster and the kid from James Madison. Remember where you heard it first.
They gave Hills this long and he was a 4th. I think Urbik gets the same consideration.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 04:53 PM
They gave Hills this long and he was a 4th. I think Urbik gets the same consideration.

Hills was hurt. Urbik was healthy. Same consideration? No place for namby pamby stuff.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh yeah and Adams.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Hills was hurt. Urbik was healthy. Same consideration? No place for namby pamby stuff.

Hills was hurt in college in '07 with his broken leg. Wasn't ready for the combine but was ready for camp. He was at every camp, every practice, and every workout since he has been here. He had several years to grow. And in all honesty, showed nothing until...Let see...08/14/2010. If they give Urbik the same...He will be here another year. Urbik can't coast because the interior is crowed. If C Scott returns and shows something quickly...He could be shown the door if everyone stays healthy. Hills stuck around because of the lack of depth at OT. Urbik might not have that luxury unless he betters himself this preseason. Hills didn't stick around because the Steelers were letting him slide because of an injury.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
here are my projected 9 OL that make the team...

LT Starks
LG Kemo
C Pouncey
RG Essex
RT Adams

C Hartwig
C/G Legursky/Urbik
G/T Foster
OT Hills/Scott

Chadman
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Chadman said it all off season- Urbik couldn't beat out an undrafted rookie for playing time last season- not good.

At this point, Chadman would be interested to see Foster play alongside Pouncey at RG, see if that combination can work. If it can, then removing Hartwig from the equation is quite acceptable. Essex isn't the answer at RG, and if Hills can show improvement again in the next few weeks, Chadman isn't against Hills becoming the back-up OT in place of Essex. That could allow Essex to move on- perhaps increasing the chances of Doug Legursky to make the team- possibly the 2nd most athletic OL on the team behind Pouncey.

An OL that looks like this-

LT Starks
LG Kemoeatu
C Pouncey
RG Foster
RT Adams

and with Legursky C/G, Hills OT, Scott OT/OG & either Urbik or Essex (or Hartwig is some chance as a back-up)- you probably put together the best combination of athletes available to the Steelers at this point.

Scott will make the roster as he has familiarity with Kugler's OL schemes.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Chadman said it all off season- Urbik couldn't beat out an undrafted rookie for playing time last season- not good.

At this point, Chadman would be interested to see Foster play alongside Pouncey at RG, see if that combination can work. If it can, then removing Hartwig from the equation is quite acceptable. Essex isn't the answer at RG, and if Hills can show improvement again in the next few weeks, Chadman isn't against Hills becoming the back-up OT in place of Essex. That could allow Essex to move on- perhaps increasing the chances of Doug Legursky to make the team- possibly the 2nd most athletic OL on the team behind Pouncey.

An OL that looks like this-

LT Starks
LG Kemoeatu
C Pouncey
RG Foster
RT Adams

and with Legursky C/G, Hills OT, Scott OT/OG & either Urbik or Essex (or Hartwig is some chance as a back-up)- you probably put together the best combination of athletes available to the Steelers at this point.

Scott will make the roster as he has familiarity with Kugler's OL schemes.
I want to see Foster at RG too. Essex was terrible Saturday and one of the weak links last year. Scott will not make this roster based on his familiarity with Koogs schemes. He was terrible against the Lions and Hills, I can't belive I'm saying this, is out in front after the Lions game. Scott has to catch Hills and earn it.