PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans look to have forgiven Big Ben

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Steelers fans look to have forgiven Big Ben

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2010/08/15/730_20100815003742_660_320.JPG

It's a lovefest in Pittsburgh again.

Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for the past 16 seasons as a beat writer and is the former president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

How quickly NFL fans forgive and forget when it comes to wins and losses.

It took all of eight offensive snaps — eight!!! — in Pittsburgh’s preseason debut before a “We Want Ben!” chant flared at Heinz Field.

Yes, that Ben. The most hated man in Pittsburgh five months ago. The disgraced quarterback reviled and ridiculed for his alleged sexual assault of a drunken underage college student in a nightclub bathroom stall. The one whose deviant off-field behavior drew a suspension from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and triggered debate about his long-term future with the Steelers.

None of that matters now, just like when dog-killing Michael Vick received a warm welcome fresh out of prison last year in Philadelphia. After all, the outcome of games — even meaningless exhibition ones — is at stake. If a player can help the cause, no matter how much personal baggage he carries, the moral compass is usually tucked away.

Once replacement Byron Leftwich was pounded during a third straight pass attempt, a sizable contingent began clamoring for Roethlisberger to enter Saturday night’s 23-7 win against Detroit. No dice. Because he is banned for what will likely be the regular season’s first four games, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave Leftwich all the snaps with the first-team offense. Roethlisberger never played and left his helmet in the locker room.

But other than the unusual scene of a healthy Roethlisberger standing on the sideline with his Steelers cap on backward, nothing has really changed except maybe Big Ben himself.

Roethlisberger will assuredly be back in the starting lineup once his suspension ends. Like when he was leading the Steelers to two Super Bowl titles, Roethlisberger received only cheers while taking the field for pregame warm-ups. There were still plenty of No. 7 jerseys in the stands worn by adults and children even if the volume wasn’t at last year’s level. And the kicker: Because of his team standing in 2009, Roethlisberger was actually one of Pittsburgh’s five pregame captains despite the embarrassment he caused a franchise that champions family values.

So much for leading by example, huh? This same type of fawning and coddling is what helped create the ego-filled “Big Ben” persona Roethlisberger now says he is determined to shed.

To his credit, Roethlisberger has made strides in that regard. Goodell offered praise for Roethlisberger’s lifestyle changes after a recent meeting at Steelers training camp. Roethlisberger is more accommodating to reporters and fans (the Steelers highlighted the latter by showing footage of him signing autographs during their in-stadium pregame video packages). He is continuing charity work with family organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House that Roethlisberger was quietly doing before the assault allegation in Milledgeville, Ga. Like others who have made major mistakes, Roethlisberger deserves the chance for redemption and will hopefully take advantage of it.

Signs of immaturity do resurface from time to time. Roethlisberger dashed out of the locker room Saturday night to avoid the media, stiffing the public from getting his take on not playing against Detroit in the process. Roethlisberger also recently changed his billed hometown of Findlay, Ohio, to Cory-Rawson — the name of his former elementary school. Roethlisberger told the Findlay Courier he was upset by the “blatant lies” spun about him locally during the offseason. Even so, the reaction was not wise for a 28-year-old trying to reinvent himself as a good guy.

The thickness of Roethlisberger’s skin will be tested again as he faces taunts on the road and lingering resentment from some Pittsburghers who don’t believe his repentance and continuing claims of innocence are sincere. How he responds will be part of his NFL legacy.

But regardless of how Steelers supporters feel about him personally, Roethlisberger will be missed by everyone soon enough if Saturday’s game was a harbinger of what’s to come. Leftwich might be in traction before Goodell clears Roethlisberger’s return. Leftwich was sacked once and knocked down repeatedly in roughly 1 1/2 quarters of action. It’s not like the Lions were blitzing, either. The porous blocking by Pittsburgh’s starting offensive line was inexcusable.

Roethlisberger has enough pocket mobility and size to repel hits that he can thrive under those difficult cir***stances. They’re two of the physical traits that helped Roethlisberger enjoy a charmed NFL career until this offseason.

“He’s an awesome player,” said 23-year-old Steelers fan Tara Bennett, who wore a homemade “I love you Big Ben #7” T-shirt to Saturday night’s game. “If he wins the Super Bowl this year, everybody is going to forget about what happened.”

Barring another epic Roethlisberger screw-up, most Steelers faithful — for better or worse — already have.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...t-Lions-081410

pfelix73
08-15-2010, 05:16 PM
LOL- I said this would happen months ago.
:HeadBanger

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 05:20 PM
"upset with his hometown"

LOL

these guys are paid to write this crap??

unbelievable

feltdizz
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Roethlisberger told the Findlay Courier he was upset by the “blatant lies” spun about him locally during the offseason.

If Nen told the paper this how is it a made up story? It's not an important story IMO but I'm not surprised someone wrote about it.

Crash
08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Ben DID NOT tell the paper WHY he changed it.

My response to Marvez myself.

Alex, some comments about your recent Roethlisberger article:

"The disgraced quarterback reviled and ridiculed for his alleged sexual assault of a drunken underage college student in a nightclub bathroom stall"

Alex, she was 20, not 17. You are an adult at 18 in this country. She was an underaged DRINKER, complete with fake ID. Not an underaged PERSON.

"None of that matters now, just like when dog-killing Michael Vick received a warm welcome fresh out of prison last year in Philadelphia. After all, the outcome of games — even meaningless exhibition ones — is at stake. If a player can help the cause, no matter how much personal baggage he carries, the moral compass is usually tucked away."

That's a silly comparison. Vick was charged, PLEAD GUILTY, and served time in federal prison. Ben was not charged, and, why people in the media choose to ignore this next part, the DA decided that he didn't even have probable cause to arrest Ben. In a rape case? That's huge.

"Because of his team standing in 2009, Roethlisberger was actually one of Pittsburgh’s five pregame captains despite the embarrassment he caused a franchise that champions family values."

That comment above is part of the problem Ben has. Just because they SAY IT, doesn't make it true.

Did the Steelers "champion family values" when Ernie Holmes was shooting at police officers?

Did the Steelers "champion family values" when James Harrison smacked the mother of his child?

Did the Steelers "champion family values" when Santonio Holmes roughed up the mother of his child (and before you say it? Keep in mind that Holmes was arrested THREE TIMES as a Steeler, and failed one drug test, and they still kept him around from 2006-2009)?

The Steelers can say it, but that doesn't make it true.

"Roethlisberger is more accommodating to reporters and fans (the Steelers highlighted the latter by showing footage of him signing autographs during their in-stadium pregame video packages)"

He's always signed at camp. That's nothing new. He's always given away his shoes as well.

Here are three examples below:

July 30 2006

http://bigbennews.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/073006-5.jpg

July 25 2007

http://bigbennews.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/DSCI0423.jpg

2007 camp again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A0gDBkld0

"He is continuing charity work with family organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House that Roethlisberger was quietly doing before the assault allegation in Milledgeville, Ga"

See? Doesn't that defeat the "reputation" that he's this ogre who has no regard for other people?

The problem Ben has is tabloid media, people who just want alleged "scoops" for the sake of web hits and being "first".

Example #1. Ben's arrival at mini camp, the AP speculated his arrival in a mini-Cooper was to "reshape his image".

The truth is, it was a promotional gig for Max Starks' new dealership, Ben and the ENTIRE first team OL arrived in them.

Example #2. AP suggested that Ben gave away his cleats the first week as a PR stunt.

I think the truth above dispels that rumor too.

"Signs of immaturity do resurface from time to time. Roethlisberger dashed out of the locker room Saturday night to avoid the media, stiffing the public from getting his take on not playing against Detroit in the process"

Why is that immature? Ben knew days before he may not play. If he pops off, then what? "Ben hasn't learned, Ben is selfish, Ben will not play for at least 4 weeks, etc" Keeping quiet if he was/is upset was the wise move. He can't win either way now can he?

"Roethlisberger also recently changed his billed hometown of Findlay, Ohio, to Cory-Rawson — the name of his former elementary school. Roethlisberger told the Findlay Courier he was upset by the “blatant lies” spun about him locally during the offseason"

Okay, but why did you not mention this part of the same article about the same people in Findlay?

"It's a shame. You'd think people would be proud of you. Instead, I think there is a lot of jealousy. Some nasty things were said about me. **But there are still people (in Findlay), some good friends and my church family, who are just good people and I believe in them." **

Again, people assume, why not ask him? Just like the bloggers/writers who are now claiming he made that town up in his head, below, are two different fan comments on that subject:

First off, I'm from Findlay. Cory Rawson isn't exactly a town....it's an area outside of Findlay. Although Ben went to school here at Findlay High School, he lived in the "area" that we here call Cory Rawson. It's definately not a "made up" place. It's a school district located in Rawson, OH outside of Findlay. So I guess instead of stating he's from Cory Rawson, he should have said Rawson, OH.

Cory-Rawson native

“ I have been telling people for years that I'm from Cory-Rawson, too. Ben was my neighbor growing up. A lot of people in Findlay have tried to claim us as citizens, but we didn't live in the city limits. Just because we went to school in Findlay doesn't make us Findlay natives. Unfortunately, there are some spiteful people living in Findlay. Ben has really put our little corner of Ohio on the map. Some people know about James Purdy and Congressman Oxley being from here, but because Ben and the Steelers have been winning Super Bowls, people from around the world have begun to hear about our community. ”

Ben has often stated he wants to return to his roots, what's to say this isn't another example of it? If he really hated the town of Findlay that bad? Why would he go back? Attend church there?

I'll tell you when the "tide" sort of turned for Ben Alex, and it was long before last night's performance by the offense.

The GBI released the audio CDS of the accuser and her friends.

The media couldn't "slant" the story anymore. The audio CDs can't be altered by the words of the press. And when those came out, people began to wonder if the accuser (her 2nd interview was a joke) and her friends were telling the truth because of their inconsistent statements.

Add to that, No Ben DNA in the accuser, no positive rape kit, and no concrete evidence that sexual intercourse of any kind occurred that night according to medical experts who examined her. That's not possible if he had unprotected rape sex with her Alex, which he was accused of.

Ben's a great QB, but he can't alter science.

Lastly Pittsburgh and "rumors" about their sports stars have been a constant for decades.

Some of the same "fans" who will tell a Ben "story", will also be convinced or know from a friend of a friend of a friend that:

Dan Marino was a coke head at PITT.

Kordell was gay.

Bill Cowher was having an affair with his secretary and Kordell's sister.

Tom Barrasso's wife stabbed him because he was sleeping with his baby sitter.

Pittsburgh fans are loyal, but they also have no problem, tearing down their "heroes" as people, the minute things go sour. And this is just another example of it.

Is Ben an angel? No. He's used bad judgement. But in my opinion is he as bad as the story tellers proclaim? Again, I'd have to say no. Too many examples of him doing good things for me to believe he's this monster that a select few want him to be.

bostonsteeler
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Terrific rejoinder. Good job bro. :Clap

grotonsteel
08-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Wow that's terrific response...

Well said Crash...Well said....Great Job..... :Clap :Clap

stlrz d
08-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice work!

JAR
08-16-2010, 08:06 AM
the media made everyone believe that Ben was hated. there was some hatred, but not the entire fan base that the media made it out to be.

Oviedo
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Terrific rejoinder. Good job bro. :Clap

Outstanding response. You should have added one thing to the writer and that is the question: "What are the chances that you will write an article that corrects any of your misrepresentations and half truths?"

papillon
08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
the media made everyone believe that Ben was hated. there was some hatred, but not the entire fan base that the media made it out to be.

This is the truth personified. Many were disappointed that he allowed himself to be in that position (me included), most were grateful when no charges were filed and now, 99% of the fans want him on the field.

The media trumped up the hatred based of a few fans saying they won't support Ben or that the Steelers should trade him. If they had asked 1,000 fans 900 or more would have said, I'm disappointed that he put himself in that position, but that they are still supporters of Ben and I can't wait for the season to start.

Pappy