PDA

View Full Version : What I saw...

steelblood
08-15-2010, 04:20 PM
II like watching the linemen. So, I'll start with them.

DL

I was hoping for a real long look at the new and improved Ziggy Hood. That didn't happen. Zig didn't play much.

We did get a long look at Sunny Harris who played RDE and some NT. Harris was impressive against 2nd and 3rd teamers. He got a decent pass rush and stuffed the run equally well. He stacked some double teams and looked strong, quick, and bigger. He hasn't made the team by any stretch, but that was an awesome display. Nick Eason better step up his game and put his weight back on quickly because he is not a lock to make this roster.

OL

Pouncey-played mostly center and was generally effective but was often pushed back more than I'd like. He showed great mobility to get out in front of screens. He will greatly improve this part of our game. Legursky was very inconsistant. Hills showed some fire and looked very mobile. I enjoyed watching him bury guys in the run and pass game. Urbik still looks weak (even against 3rd stringers). Adams' kick slide was painfully slow.

WRs

Emmanuel Sanders is very slight and relatively ineffective as a blocker on screens. He is easily pushed back by corners. He showed nice athleticism on a third down reception.

The fight for the fifth and possible sixth receiver slots will be fun to watch. Battle, Brown, and Logan are fighting for one or two spots. I don't see any way they can cut Brown. I loved his game at Central Michigan. He is a big game player and has the tools to be a successful slot receiver in the NFL. I have no idea why we didn't see Brown more as a returner last night. Brown did show off his great body control and hands in the game. Battle is a very good special teams player and made a great catch and run last night. He did look very slow in the open field though. El will be on this team. But, he looks to have lost a bit of the quickness that was what made him effective.

RB

Redman looks great with a head of steam. A real bowling ball type. He does not have great first step explosiveness, but once he gets a little momentum, he is effective. Dwyer looked tentative and was unable to create anything when there was not a hole for him to run through. Frank Summers made a nice catch. His blocking was hit or miss (literally).

LB

Thad Gibson is very quick. He has great potential, but he looked lost in zone coverage and failed to wrap up Drew Stanton for the sack. Sylvestor should really help on special teams if he can make the team. He should take Patrick Bailey's spot as Bailey was absolutely terrible at ROLB. Bailey got lots of opportunities and created zero pass rush. He was also easily sealed on runs to his side. Sylvestor, on the other hand, looked good for the most part. He moves well and looks a little bigger than he did at Utah.

S

Cromartie-Smith may be a keeper. I hope he'll be our fourth safety. This guy hits like a ton of bricks. If he can be effective on special teams, he may get a look. I loved Mundy at WVU, but he has not impressed me as a pro. I didn't even notice him out there.

CB

Lewis did a great job covering Calvin Johnson and was only beaten for a TD when Johnson pushed off. It was nice to see him gets some reps against a big time talent. Burnett and Butler both make great breaks on the balls in the air. We haven't had that at corner since Rod Woodson. I'd love to see Burnett beat out Gay as the nickel corner. Burnett could get 5 picks this season in that role.

K

Wanted to see Sepulveda kick off. I assume that he didn't try because of the rain and conditions. Next week, hopefully.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
[quote="steelblood"]II like watching the linemen. So, I'll start with them.

DL

I was hoping for a real long look at the new and improved Ziggy Hood. That didn't happen. Zig didn't play much.

We did get a long look at Sunny Harris who played RDE and some NT. Harris was impressive against 2nd and 3rd teamers. He got a decent pass rush and stuffed the run equally well. He stacked some double teams and looked strong, quick, and bigger. He hasn't made the team by any stretch, but that was an awesome display. Nick Eason better step up his game and put his weight back on quickly because he is not a lock to make this roster. the last available DL spot will be between Eason, Harris and Worthington and Harris took a good first step.

OL

Pouncey-played mostly center and was generally effective but was often pushed back more than I'd like. He showed great mobility to get out in front of screens. He will greatly improve this part of our game. Legursky was very inconsistant. Hills showed some fire and looked very mobile. I enjoyed watching him bury guys in the run and pass game. Urbik still looks weak (even against 3rd stringers). Adams' kick slide was painfully slow. Urbik may end up getting released and yes, Adams' feet are as slow as molasses.

WRs

Emmanuel Sanders is very slight and relatively ineffective as a blocker on screens. He is easily pushed back by corners. He showed nice athleticism on a third down reception.

The fight for the fifth and possible sixth receiver slots will be fun to watch. Battle, Brown, and Logan are fighting for one or two spots. I don't see any way they can cut Brown. I loved his game at Central Michigan. He is a big game player and has the tools to be a successful slot receiver in the NFL. I have no idea why we didn't see Brown more as a returner last night. Brown did show off his great body control and hands in the game. Battle is a very good special teams player and made a great catch and run last night. He did look very slow in the open field though. El will be on this team. But, he looks to have lost a bit of the quickness that was what made him effective. i think we keep 6 WRs this season and Logan won't be one of them. also, i'll bet that Brown will be given the opportunity to return kicks next week.

RB

Redman looks great with a head of steam. A real bowling ball type. He does not have great first step explosiveness, but once he gets a little momentum, he is effective. Dwyer looked tentative and was unable to create anything when there was not a hole for him to run through. Frank Summers made a nice catch. His blocking was hit or miss (literally). Redman makes the final roster, Dwyer will not.

LB

Thad Gibson is very quick. He has great potential, but he looked lost in zone coverage and failed to wrap up Drew Stanton for the sack. Sylvestor should really help on special teams if he can make the team. He should take Patrick Bailey's spot as Bailey was absolutely terrible at ROLB. Bailey got lots of opportunities and created zero pass rush. He was also easily sealed on runs to his side. Sylvestor, on the other hand, looked good for the most part. He moves well and looks a little bigger than he did at Utah. Gibson is not yet ready for prime time but he does have potential. i think Sylvestor makes it over Bailey.

S

Cromartie-Smith may be a keeper. I hope he'll be our fourth safety. This guy hits like a ton of bricks. If he can be effective on special teams, he may get a look. I loved Mundy at WVU, but he has not impressed me as a pro. I didn't even notice him out there. we have already cut Cromartie-Smith once, the practice squad is his likely landing spot. as for Mundy, he better step it up soon.

CB

Lewis did a great job covering Calvin Johnson and was only beaten for a TD when Johnson pushed off. It was nice to see him gets some reps against a big time talent. Burnett and Butler both make great breaks on the balls in the air. We haven't had that at corner since Rod Woodson. I'd love to see Burnett beat out Gay as the nickel corner. Burnett could get 5 picks this season in that role. we have a logjam at CB, it will be interesting to see who gets cut.

K

Wanted to see Sepulveda kick off. I assume that he didn't try because of the rain and conditions. Next week, hopefully. they might not have wanted to take a chance on Sepulveda's surgically-repaired knee planting on the wet turf.

steelblood
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
You are right that we cut Cromartie-Smith recently. I was surprised then as I'd heard good things. I still think he has a chance to make the team or at least the PS. That 4th safety spot is up for grabs after Clark, Troy, and Allen. As Allen can play both FS and SS, I think the final safety will have to 1. be a special teams terror, and 2. play either FS or SS adequately. Tuff Harris, Mundy, etc. -- no one really stands out for me at this point.

Steelhere10
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
What makes Randall El such a lock? Just asking because I don't see him as a good receiver average at best in my opinion. I think Brown , Sanders and Battle bring more to the game. Just my thoughts.

steelblood
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
What makes Randall El such a lock? Just asking because I don't see him as a good receiver average at best in my opinion. I think Brown , Sanders and Battle bring more to the game. Just my thoughts.

Personally, I agree with you. However, El signed a contract with guaranteed money and he's a vet receiver who this coaching staff and front office seem to trust. I really can't see this staff cutting him no matter how good the rookies look.

Steelhere10
08-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Personally, I agree with you. However, El signed a contract with guaranteed money and he's a vet receiver who this coaching staff and front office seem to trust. I really can't see this staff cutting him no matter how good the rookies look.
Fair enough. But but curious , how much was his signing bonus?

steelsnis
08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I tend to disagree with you about Pouncey. I didn't see him getting pushed back at all. In fact, I saw him on more than one occasion muscle his guy backwards.

For example, on the TD run by Redman, Pouncey snapped the ball, then was quick enough to get into his man and create a gap for Redman to get through. All of the line blocked well on that TD run, but Pouncey was the catalyst IMO.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM

I looked it up and posted recently. Between him and Battle they were both between $900K but below $1M.

Lebsteel
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I watched the OL closely most of the night and the times I focused on Urbik, he made very good blocks and didn't let his man get near the ball. He even looked good at center. I also thought I saw him playing LG on a few snaps. Of course, I couldn't record the game and go back, but overall I was very impressed with the 2nd and 3rd team Oline.

If Hills continues to play like that, he should be considered at RT if Flozell gets any slower. Kemo was very bad. Maybe Foster should take his spot if he continues to give an effort like last night.

steelblood
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I tend to disagree with you about Pouncey. I didn't see him getting pushed back at all. In fact, I saw him on more than one occasion muscle his guy backwards.

For example, on the TD run by Redman, Pouncey snapped the ball, then was quick enough to get into his man and create a gap for Redman to get through. All of the line blocked well on that TD run, but Pouncey was the catalyst IMO.

He got pushed back a bit for certain. But, that is natural. Even when he got caught off balance and was losing ground, he re-anchored and found a way to hold his ground again. That takes balance and strength. This kid will be good.

steelblood
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I watched the OL closely most of the night and the times I focused on Urbik, he made very good blocks and didn't let his man get near the ball. He even looked good at center. I also thought I saw him playing LG on a few snaps. Of course, I couldn't record the game and go back, but overall I was very impressed with the 2nd and 3rd team Oline.

If Hills continues to play like that, he should be considered at RT if Flozell gets any slower. Kemo was very bad. Maybe Foster should take his spot if he continues to give an effort like last night.

I'll look again. But, as I watched, he was part of a group that that really didn't create much push or many seams for Dwyer to run through.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2010, 06:43 PM
You are right that we cut Cromartie-Smith recently. I was surprised then as I'd heard good things. I still think he has a chance to make the team or at least the PS. That 4th safety spot is up for grabs after Clark, Troy, and Allen. As Allen can play both FS and SS, I think the final safety will have to 1. be a special teams terror, and 2. play either FS or SS adequately. Tuff Harris, Mundy, etc. -- no one really stands out for me at this point.

Tuff Harris isn't here anymore. They waived him after he injured his shoulder in camp last week. That is when they brought Cromartie-Smith back.

aggiebones
08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
We have more dilemmas this year than last. For sure.
The youth looks good, but not quite ready in some cases. But you really hate to lose any of them.
Meanwhile Logan and Randle El 'may' have more to offer this year, but it may be so little that we can't risk losing our youth.
I bet they only keep 1 of Logan, Battle and Randle El. Battle looked pretty good.We'll see.

I think OL/DL are other troubling spots. Some veterans 'may' be able to help this year, but may be caught in a pinch to make sure we protect youth.

Now I'm not saying keep a bunch of projects. But I think some of thee guys may develop as the season progresses and pass the contributions of what a veteran could give on opening day. But with only 16 games and Ben missing at least 4, it will be tough to be too young at any point in the season.
I think this will be the toughest season by far to do roster management. But in part I think because they have a nice roster of talented youth, which of course is a winning element.

Oviedo
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM

ARE is a lock to make this team. He was signed as a insurance policy that Hines doesn't play all 16 games. With the hammy issues Hines had last season and his age it is only prudent to have a veteran on the roster who could step in and play solid WR. Battle is not that guy. Now ay are they going to have Wallace, who is learning a new position, and a rookie as the top two WRs if Hines goes down.

It's all about planning for all contingencies and ARE is part of that plan at WR.