PDA

View Full Version : What a casual fan thinks he saw

1st and Goal--
08-15-2010, 09:13 AM
First of all, all 8 available drafted R's played. All played very well. Worilds and Chris Scott were out.

For several years now the Steeler attempts to run the end around has been a joke. Including attempts with Santonio Holmes. I do believe that has been corrected. That 6th rd pick who even without the spectacular 68 yd TD romp would have been one of the outstanding players on the field seems to have solved that problem. That was the 1st time in I don't know how many years the play had timing.

Sanders did not have as many touches as his buddy Antonio, but still did well. I think he only had one ball thrown to him and he nicely caught it and made the 1st down. There were a couple of instances where he was open but the ball went elsewhere.

Pouncey, what can you say. Unfortunately, they said he was playing with the 2nd team. Nonetheless, I got the feeling I would like to see him start at both Center and Right Guard this year. Yeah, simultaneously. Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Flozell got beat early but it was a bit of a fluke. RT will be the least concern this year as even Jonathan Scott played well there also. What disappointed me was the play of most of the others from last year. It seemed Essex took a step backwards. Legursky was better as a FB. Foster and some others were getting tossed around like frisbees. Oh well, one game means little I suppose.

No comment on Mendenhall's continued carelessness with the ball in the open field.

Not all, but a number of the Undrafted R's played. What made me laugh was the play the Lion runner smacked hard into #46 Justin Thornton. He fumbled probably costing them another 7 points. But, Thornton did not get credit for the tackle. I think he got an assist. The tackle was given to #37 Madison. Well anyway Justin Thornton did bounce right up.

In case anyone wondered who #45 was since it was not listed on the roster. It was Brandon Renkart, the LB picked up to replace injured Frazier. I mention this because all of those LB's in camp were quite active in the game. Most of them have 1, 2 or more years in the league here and there. Unfortunately, the depth the Steelers already have there makes their chances very slim.

Was anyone else a bit concerned about the D overall. You know, these Lions who have won all of 2 games the past couple years did seem to be moving the ball down the field with ease. Only their own ineptness seemed to stop them. I'm not letting this lopsided score fool me. Next week will be a much better test against the Giants.

I want to watch Redzone and Dwyer at least one more week before making any comment. Wright should play this week also. Oh, I'm sure there's going to be some QB conflicts this week too. Oh, yeah!

Well, that's some of the stuff I noticed. What did you see?

Stewie
08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't completely agree. I agree that Essex did poorly, as did Kemo, Starx and Hartwig. I thought Legursky played well both at RG and FB. He got beat when the Lion DT jumped offside, but that was a gain of 5 yds. Pouncey was better than Hartwig at C; and I thought that Foster played well, although I would like him to run a little lower when he pulls.

As for Flozell, you presented no evidence as to why you think his getting beat was a fluke. I present two pieces of evidence that it wasn't a fluke: His feet. The left one is slow, and the right one is heavy. He might be rusty, but I'm from Missouri on that issue, and it might be noteworthy to observe that his slowness was against a DE. What happens when we're up against a 3-4 with a usually faster LB??? Like I said, show me.

I agree the young WRs shined. I hope they let ARE go. I caught his act in Washington the last 3 yrs, and there's not a lot left in the tank.

Dwyer needs a year on the PS to have any hope of contributing. Redman was the best back on the field last night. Based on what I have seen, I would keep Mendy, Redman, Moore, and whoever wins the FB battle between Summers and Wright.

I have concerns about Farrior's and Foote's speed. The TD notwithstanding, I thought the young corners looked good. Timmons looked quick. Harrison, well, awesome is a good word. Aaron is back. Young and old safeties played well....some really good padowwwwwws!!!

That's what I saw.

Shoe
08-15-2010, 10:23 AM
How about Urbik?

Stewie
08-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't recall seeing him do anything one way or another.

1st and Goal--
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't recall seeing him do anything one way or another.

Watchin OL play has never been one of my priorities. I didn't notice Urbik either and as big as he is it should be impossible to miss him. My view was a slight disappointment in the OL play overall. I'll watch a re-run of the game maybe I'll be more positive.

As far as the play Flozell got beat on, I really think it was something we will rarely see again. Fluke was probably the wrong word as the guy made a super outside move and coupled with the very deep drop of BL it happened. I sort of leaned toward minimalizing? the play in response to some who were making a big deal of it. Oh, and weren't there some nice runs on that side while he was in there too. Come to think about it, are there any other options there anyway? Maybe I'm saying I hope the RT position will be solid this year. Go Flo Go----LOL

Hey, there were an awful lot of players that got in the game. Many of them unknown except from TC reports. Maybe I should have called the thread "Did any players change your opinion of them or confirm what we've been hearing these past few weeks."

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
As far as the play Flozell got beat on, I really think it was something we will rarely see again. Fluke was probably the wrong word as the guy made a super outside move and coupled with the very deep drop of BL it happened.

I would say that he got beat on a good speed rush by Cliff Avril. Nothing special, nor was it from one of the league's premier pass rushers.

Add to that the fact that his decline in Dallas was that he could not handle speed rushers and we may have cause for concern. At the very least it is something worth keeping an eye on as the pre season progresses.

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
avril is built more like a OLB in the 3-4 then a DE

stlrz d
08-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Looked like a typical first pre-season game to me.

Some good things.

Some bad things.

Some good things, that upon further inspection, weren't as good as they initially appeared.

Some bad things, that upon further inspection, weren't as bad as they initially appeared.

I didn't see anything that had me jumping for joy and I didn't see anything that had me wringing my hands with worry and doubt.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
avril is built more like a OLB in the 3-4 then a DE

Yes, but whoever plays tackle must be able to handle either.

Also, Avril is 6-5, 260 and had 5.5 sacks last year.

Jared Allen is 6-6, 270 and had 14.5 sacks
John Abraham is 6-4, 263 and had 5.5 sacks
Alex Brown is 6-3, 260 and had 6 sacks
Andre Carter is 6-4, 255 and had 11 sacks
Trent Cole is 6-3, 270 and had 12.5 sacks
Ray Edwards is 6-5, 268 and had 8.5 sacks
Dwight Freeney is 6-1, 268 and had 13.5 sacks

These numbers from NFL.com. I went alphabetically and only listed DEs no more than 10 pounds heavier than Avril and stopped at Freeney. Avril may be a good, young, quick 4-3 DE, but he is not unusally so. I'm sure that many of these guys line up on the other side and will not face our RT, but we still need a RT that is able to handle the speed rush.

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
how big are woodley and harrison , suggs, demarcus ware etc tec

i guess my point was his speed rush is pretty much like the speed rush of a 3-4 OLB.
i didn't look at his height weight before i posted, i just remember some had him as a candidate to get drafted by us and play him at OLB.

just to add something
i kind of knew who Avril is. i still have no idea who that cleveland brown was who whipped around willie 2 times at that cleveland game last year

stlrz d
08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
This was Adams' first ever game action at RT, right?

No need to panic just yet.

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 02:40 PM

yeah, i'm not happy with the play in querstion, but i'm gonna give him some more time.

he reportedly is doing well in camp. and i assume he's going up against woodley (one of the best) a lot of the times.

if it looks like he's a good run blocker (should be with his size) and a so so pass protector...how is that any different then Semi?

DukieBoy
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Add to that - Flozell is a vet with little to prove in pre-season, and the goal of learning to play together with the O-line at RT and the goal of not getting himself hurt. I doubt the effort was 100%, as it will be in games that count.

fezziwig
08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I think Fox should be starter or at least rotate with the starting position. The guys just shows me a lot when he's on the field and will only get better. We need to start with the youth movement.

fezziwig
08-15-2010, 08:40 PM
How did Ziggy do ?

skyhawk
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I think Fox should be starter or at least rotate with the starting position. The guys just shows me a lot when he's on the field and will only get better. We need to start with the youth movement.

:Agree

isonator07
08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
:Agree
How do you keep Fox off the field? Can ILB's be subbed in every other series like we did Mcfadden and Gay 2 yrs ago?

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Key Fox is a 6 year NFL veteran who is 28 years old.

Slapstick
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM

But, like our beloved James Harrison, Key Fox is a guy who has played well in spot duty and does not have a lot of mileage on him...in FB years, he's still relatively young...

pfelix73
08-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Looked like a typical first pre-season game to me.

Some good things.

Some bad things.

Some good things, that upon further inspection, weren't as good as they initially appeared.

Some bad things, that upon further inspection, weren't as bad as they initially appeared.

I didn't see anything that had me jumping for joy and I didn't see anything that had me wringing my hands with worry and doubt.

LOL- this is exactly what my response to all this talk regarding the 1st pre season game is too.

Kind of like Noll's old saying- "Nothing is as great as things seem to be or as terrible as things seem to be".

:tt1

fezziwig
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM

He should be starting his prime time of his career in my opinion with his age and NFL years under his belt. I hope the coaches are not blinded by the love they have for the senior players.

birtikidis
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not worried about Flo, most of the great speed rushers line up on our left so, Max will be the guy that has to neutralize them. plus the fact that Flo had never played RT before, he'll be alright.