PDA

View Full Version : Cornerbacks still not catching on

fordfixer
08-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Cornerbacks still not catching on
Saturday, August 14, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10226/1080022-66.stm

The Steelers and Detroit Lions will honor new Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau before tonight's game at Heinz Field and some of his current players no doubt will wear his No. 44 replica Lions uniform to again show their support.

There is another way in which the Steelers cornerbacks could give tribute to their beloved defensive coordinator. They could intercept a pass or two.

That is all they intercepted the entire 2009 season, two, and those did not come until the 16th and final game in Miami when Ike Taylor caught one and Deshea Townsend another. Townsend is no longer with the Steelers.
Preseason kick off

How important are interceptions for a cornerback? They helped put their coordinator into the Hall of Fame this year. LeBeau led the NFC in 1970 with nine interceptions and when he retired two years later his 62 career pickoffs ranked third most in the NFL and still rank seventh.

You would think the cornerbacks he coaches might have a better eye for the ball than they did last season, when they missed the NFL playoffs by one game and perhaps one dropped interception.

Not surprisingly, it has been an emphasis this summer.

"When you look at what happened last year, turnovers were a huge factor," said Ray Horton, who coaches the secondary. "The rules are made for quarterbacks to throw a lot. Interceptions were down last year, the rules changes helped those guys. But for us it's a point of emphasis.

"When I look at our guys, we don't have that marquee deal where we get a lot of turnovers. We don't give up a lot of big plays; we don't give up a lot of yards; we're in close games. Everything is there but turnovers. Turnovers are easier, it helps the offense, it helps us."

Through the first few weeks of training camp, the interceptions were still rare. Much was made of how the quarterbacks were not throwing interceptions, but that also meant the cornerbacks (or safeties) were not catching any either. Horton, LeBeau and their secondary hopes that will start to change tonight.

"When the opportunity comes, plays will be made," insists cornerback Bryant McFadden. "Being where you need to be is most important. Sometimes, being where you need to be is good enough and then catch them when they hit your hands."

McFadden rejoined the Steelers this season after one year with the Arizona Cardinals, but he has not yet won his old job as the starting left cornerback opposite Taylor on the right (although he will cover a foe's best receiver, wherever he lines up on the outside). Others in the mix are William Gay, who also is playing nickel and safety and who started on the left last season, Keenan Lewis and even Joe Burnett, whose dropped interception against Oakland last season cost his team a victory.

Horton said while he's happy with his players' work ethic, he's still looking for someone to snatch a job the way they might an errant pass.

"I think they're on pace where they should be right now, but I'm a little disappointed somebody hasn't stepped up and said, 'Shoot there's a lot of competition around here, let me show them that I'm the guy.' That's what's missing for me. They're working hard, they're smart, they're strong. I'd like to see a few more hands on the ball; we're getting hands on the ball but we're not bringing them in right now."

The two corners who have surprised Horton the most with their play this summer are, surprisingly, rookie Crezdon Butler, a fifth-round draft choice from Clemson, and veteran special teams ace Anthony Madison, cut before last season but re-signed in December to help avert more disaster in the kicking game.

Butler has practiced at cornerback, nickel back and safety and should play all three tonight. Usually, the Steelers give rookies one position to play their first season -- e.g. Ziggy Hood at left defensive end in 2009 -- but Butler became such a fast learner they expanded his role.

"He can do anything we ask him to," Horton said. "He's going to get exposure."

Taylor, who remains the team's best cornerback, likes the depth he sees at the position.

"This might be, for corners, the most athletic I've seen us since I've been here. These young guys have good personality and are catching on."

Catching the football would be an attractive trait as well.

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at http://www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10226/10 ... z0wYKmQMIh (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10226/1080022-66.stm#ixzz0wYKmQMIh)

Wallace108
08-14-2010, 01:10 AM
This is NOT what I want to hear:

Horton said while he's happy with his players' work ethic, he's still looking for someone to snatch a job the way they might an errant pass.

"I think they're on pace where they should be right now, but I'm a little disappointed somebody hasn't stepped up and said, 'Shoot there's a lot of competition around here, let me show them that I'm the guy.' That's what's missing for me. They're working hard, they're smart, they're strong. I'd like to see a few more hands on the ball; we're getting hands on the ball but we're not bringing them in right now."

But it seems that Butler is progressing nicely ... that IS good to hear.

feltdizz
08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Damn... all that talk about the QB's nothrowing INT's and it never dawned on me that it's because our DB's can't catch. If we see another year of dropped INT's and missed opportunities it may be another long and frustrating year.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Typical Douchette article:

1. Very anti-Steeler.
2. When you really look at it, no real news, or anything new to say. This is all about last year.
3. Provocatively negative title of the article.

:loser

feltdizz
08-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I was reading Steelers Digest and they were interviewing Ike Taylor and asked him why the DB's couldn't catch the ball last year. His answer was "I don't know, I can't put my hand on it"

Either Ike has a great sense of humor or he served up an easy one.

fordfixer
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I was reading Steelers Digest and they were interviewing Ike Taylor and asked him why the DB's couldn't catch the ball last year. His answer was "I don't know, I can't put my hand on it"

Either Ike has a great sense of humor or he served up an easy one.
Too funny i like it :HeadBanger