PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV Rookie

rpmpit
08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
So this Saturday should be my first chance to try out my NFL Sunday ticket! :tt2

Right? I mean, are preseason games included? :?

And is there anything I have to turn on? Or are the games just there??

Excuse my ignorance in this matter. I'm really a pretty intelligent armpit :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I haven't had DirecTV in a couple of years, but if I recall correctly, the preseason games are not included, so you may have to watch the NFL Network re-air on Sunday morning (or find an online stream if you want to see it live).

This may have changed since I went back to cable, though, so don't quote me as gospel...

Once the regular season starts, yeah, the games are just there. Just search 'em out on the ol' viewer guide. You should also get the Red Zone Channel as a part of your package, which is a solid option (when the Steelers aren't playing of course). I'm happy that I am now able to get that on cable, since I missed that when I dumped the dish.

rpmpit
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I haven't had DirecTV in a couple of years, but if I recall correctly, the preseason games are not included, so you may have to watch the NFL Network re-air on Sunday morning (or find an online stream if you want to see it live).

This may have changed since I went back to cable, though, so don't quote me as gospel...

Once the regular season starts, yeah, the games are just there. Just search 'em out on the ol' viewer guide. You should also get the Red Zone Channel as a part of your package, which is a solid option (when the Steelers aren't playing of course). I'm happy that I am now able to get that on cable, since I missed that when I dumped the dish.

Thanks, RB. Yeah, I did a little of my own research and found that I don't get the preseason games. But for $40 I can watch them all on-line at NFL.com. Have you guys seen this??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -costs-40/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/nflcom-will-stream-preseason-games-package-costs-40/)

And thanks for the info on the regular season. I had Red Zone with my cable last year and I agree, its a great way to follow all the games. I promised myself DTV a bunch of years ago but never pulled the trigger because I had a local Steelers bar we went to. Unfortunately the owner sold it and now its just a reg sports bar.

So I'm excited about my first year on DTV. And I still get NFLN & Red Zone so I'm totally covered!! You're all welcome to stop by any Sunday! Bring food!!!

:tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

Eich
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
As you found, pre-season games aren't on NFL Sunday ticket. But NFL Network (212) generally shows them all, if not live, then re-played.

stlrz d
08-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks, RB. Yeah, I did a little of my own research and found that I don't get the preseason games. But for $40 I can watch them all on-line at NFL.com. Have you guys seen this??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -costs-40/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/nflcom-will-stream-preseason-games-package-costs-40/)

And thanks for the info on the regular season. I had Red Zone with my cable last year and I agree, its a great way to follow all the games. I promised myself DTV a bunch of years ago but never pulled the trigger because I had a local Steelers bar we went to. Unfortunately the owner sold it and now its just a reg sports bar.

So I'm excited about my first year on DTV. And I still get NFLN & Red Zone so I'm totally covered!! You're all welcome to stop by any Sunday! Bring food!!!

Blasphemy!

NJ-STEELER
08-13-2010, 07:24 PM

you'll get to see 2 preseaon games because they're on nantional TV.

$40 for the other 2 seem a bit pricey IMO

stlrz d
08-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Did you get a DVR model? I have an auto record set up for "STEELER" and my DVR automatically records anything Steelers related for me.

:tt2

costanza2k1
08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Did you get a DVR model? I have an auto record set up for "STEELER" and my DVR automatically records anything Steelers related for me.

Interesting that you have yours set to SteeleR, I have mine set up for Steelers.

Making Poking of course :lol:

stlrz d
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Interesting that you have yours set to SteeleR, I have mine set up for Steelers.

Making Poking of course :lol:

I left off the S at the end in case only the word "steeler" appears in the program. As in, "NFL Films interview with former Steeler ______" ;)

Making poking that!

Iron Shiek
08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Enjoy! Had it for years and its awesome. Back again in my house this year even though i tried cancelling and basically got it free. Im excited.

pfelix73
08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll be watching it live on local TV- lucky for me.

:tt1

RussBII
08-13-2010, 11:59 PM

Man, I'm with you. This is my first year with it too. And I already love it. The hardware DirecTV gives you is _so_much_nicer_ than what Time Warner uses.

I'm going to watch football until my eyes bleed. Then wipe them off, pour some beer into them, and start over.

-Russ

DkBlue
08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
I boufgt the pre-season Live and I think it is $40 well spent. The full screen quality is excellent. I watched three games last night and enjoyed them.

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I boufgt the pre-season Live and I think it is $40 well spent. The full screen quality is excellent. I watched three games last night and enjoyed them.

did you have any problems with the stream.

the free one i used last night tended to freeze up at times

NC Steeler Fan
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome rook! :Cheers

I renew Sunday Ticket every year. For me it's a no brainer

Living way out in the sticks in panthers/falcons/deadskins territory, I couldn't live without it! 8)

Glad to have NFLN 365 too!

NC Steeler Fan
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM

did you have any problems with the stream.

the free one i used last night tended to freeze up at times

I dropped the 40 bucks for preseason too and caught the first quarter on my laptop with no problem. But, then it slowed down and finally froze up. I was major pisced. The "demo" they had worked just fine, I figured I was good to go...not.

Logged into the Planet chatroom in the 3rd quarter and MJG turned me on to that "justintv" linke which adjusted it's streaming stuff several times while I was watching and worked just fine!

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2010, 05:30 PM
it was a justin feed that was freezing up on me.

i guess its fine for the preseason, but i couldn't handle that in the regular season

proudpittsburgher
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
That's funny . . . I tried all of the other links provided in the thread during commercials and none of them worked for me, or they would freeze up quickly. I was the one who posted the justintv link and I wanted something different because the full screen was kinda pixelated . . . but I kept going back to it and it was seemless for me. partial screen mode was pretty clear too. What I would recommend to those who were having trouble is to hard-connect your internet, if you were using wireless. I did so on my laptop, and while I couldn't plug it into my bigscreen in the living room, which is a bummer, I found my signal strength to be perferct. Maybe that's if the problem for some. But keep that advice for two weeks from now . . . the Steelers are live on NFLN on Saturday night. :tt1