PDA

View Full Version : Lolley On The Commish's Comments Made Today ON Ben

SteelHoss
08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
NFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ng-on.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/08/whats-going-on.html)

Thursday, August 05, 2010
What's going on
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was in Latrobe today, just in case you've been living under a rock, and there was a lot of hoopla surrounding Goodell not emphatically saying that he would not reduct Ben Roethlisberger's suspension below four games.

People have to realize that Goodell's a pretty smart guy and he's never going to paint himself into a corner on any issue.

In fact, Goodell did say when asked to clarify if the suspension could go below four games, "No, I said we'll make a decision on what the suspension is going to be at the end of the month."

That seems pretty clear to me.

That did not, however, stop some people from running off half-cocked to go live with news that Roethlisberger's suspension could be lowered even more than two games.

The league office later made the statement that there is no way the suspension will be less than four games.

For the Steelers, that's actually a good thing.

The way their schedule is set up this season, they play their first four games and then have a bye week.

A four-game suspension would allow Roethlisberger two weeks to prepare to start the team's next game, Oct. 17 at Heinz Field against Cleveland.

That's a perfect scenario for the team, considering Roethlisberger cannot have any contact with it during his suspension.

In regards to that, if I were Roethlisberger, I'd hire a receiver or two who is among the team's final cuts to be my workout partner once the season begins.

Teams often tell players among their final cuts to hang loose and stay in shape in case there is an injury. That would be a perfect opportunity for, say, Tyler Grisham and I'm just throwing that name out there to stay in shape, work out with Roethlisberger, and perhaps make some money.
posted by Dale Lolley at 5:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NorthCoast
08-05-2010, 07:25 PM
If we should happen to go 0-4 before Ben's return, does Ben have the game to run the table for a play-off spot? It's more than Ben, this team has questions around a lot of issues, OL, defensive backfield, WR. Yes, every team has questions, but we are an aging team with questions. Behind Mendy, no proven RB. Behind Harrison, no proven LB...etc.

Age works against us in this case. Not sure we can overcome any significant injuries.

SteelAbility
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
If we should happen to go 0-4 before Ben's return, does Ben have the game to run the table for a play-off spot? It's more than Ben, this team has questions around a lot of issues, OL, defensive backfield, WR. Yes, every team has questions, but we are an aging team with questions. Behind Mendy, no proven RB. Behind Harrison, no proven LB...etc.

Age works against us in this case. Not sure we can overcome any significant injuries.

What about Woodley? I hear he's pretty good. :wink:

Djfan
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
this team has questions around a lot of issues, OL, defensive backfield, WR.

So do the rats and bungles. The stains aren't even in the NFL this year.

We'll be fine. Give me a rested Ben with something to prove and I'll predict the playoffs.

I guess I just did.

papillon
08-05-2010, 11:06 PM
The league office later made the statement that there is no way the suspension will be less than four games.

:wft Ben on the bench is a good thing? I don't care how the schedule plays out with the bye week, etc, Ben Roethlisberger on the bench is a bad thing.

Pappy

stlrz d
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM

:wft Ben on the bench is a good thing? I don't care how the schedule plays out with the bye week, etc, Ben Roethlisberger on the bench is a bad thing.

Pappy

I thought the same thing.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2010, 11:54 PM

Pappy

I thought the same thing.

me too...Ben is much better than Leftwich, anyone who disagrees with that statement is about to get reminded these first four games.

birtikidis
08-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I think what the poster is trying to say is that if he came back in less then 4 he'd come back with only a week to prepare but if he comes back after 4 he has 2 weeks to prepare for his first game.
I personally don't think it matters. i think they could tell be the saturday before the game that he could play and he'd do a better job then leftwhich.. and i'm a supporter of BL

frankthetank1
08-06-2010, 07:48 AM

We'll be fine. Give me a rested Ben with something to prove and I'll predict the playoffs.

I guess I just did.

the ravens are beat up in the secondary but other than that i dont think they have all that many question marks. the bungles improved there offense with TO and last year their defense was better than the steelers. the afc north could easily be the best division in football this season. we will be lucky to make the playoffs this season imo, especially with ben missing 4 games

Oviedo
08-06-2010, 08:01 AM

I guess I just did.

the ravens are beat up in the secondary but other than that i dont think they have all that many question marks. the bungles improved there offense with TO and last year their defense was better than the steelers. the afc north could easily be the best division in football this season. we will be lucky to make the playoffs this season imo, especially with ben missing 4 games

FTT is right. The gloom and doom season starts again where only the Steelers have problems and none of our opponents do. Same story different year for the glass half-empty crowd.

The hype that the Ravens are getting is similar to that which the Browns got two years ago. How did that work out. The Ravens defense is as old as ours (but never gets criticized) plus they have essentially already lost 3/4 of their secondary. Flacco is far from a sure thing and no way close to the QB that Ben is. The Bumgals have OL issues and getting two good seasons out of Cedric Benson is far from a sure thing. Their running game and RBs are not as good as ours.

Don't forget that the Ravens and Bumgals are playing tougher rated schedules than us. The reality is that the Steelers, Ravens and Bumgals are all probably 10-6 teams and the team that gets a break in a game or two will win the AFC North. That could just as easily be us as wither of them.

frankthetank1
08-06-2010, 08:09 AM

I guess I just did.

FTT is right. The gloom and doom season starts again where only the Steelers have problems and none of our opponents do. Same story different year for the glass half-empty crowd.

The hype that the Ravens are getting is similar to that which the Browns got two years ago. How did that work out. The Ravens defense is as old as ours (but never gets criticized) plus they have essentially already lost 3/4 of their secondary. Flacco is far from a sure thing and no way close to the QB that Ben is. The Bumgals have OL issues and getting two good seasons out of Cedric Benson is far from a sure thing. Their running game and RBs are not as good as ours.

Don't forget that the Ravens and Bumgals are playing tougher rated schedules than us. The reality is that the Steelers, Ravens and Bumgals are all probably 10-6 teams and the team that gets a break in a game or two will win the AFC North. That could just as easily be us as wither of them.

i see your point but i am not a glass is half empty person. besides the ravens beat up secondary their team is stacked. no way is the hype the same as the browns a few years ago. the ravens made it deep into the playoffs the last two years the browns havent been in the playoffs since i was in elementary school haha.

two good seasons back to back from benson is far from a sure thing but a good season from palmer is even more unlikely. they had a great offense last season and palmer still wasnt very good. in the first four games i could see the steelers possibly going 1-3. with a start like that it will be very hard to make the playoffs. i think we will be 2-2 though in the first four which still isnt great. its tough to be too optimistic after last season when they dropped games to crap teams like the raiders and chiefs

stlrz d
08-06-2010, 08:12 AM
:ratsuck :bungalssuck

ikestops85
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM

I'd like to agree with ya D but unfortunately I can't. The Ravens are going to field a good team this year. They have holes just like we do but overall they will be tough. The bengals I think will field a respectable team this year (unlike the browns). They don't have the benefit of playing the 3rd place schedule this year (we do) and I think the addition of TO and Antonio Bryant is overrated.

The Ravens and the Steelers will fight it out for the division crown. I just hope the game we play them without Ben doesn't decide the winner.

Shawn
08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I think what the poster is trying to say is that if he came back in less then 4 he'd come back with only a week to prepare but if he comes back after 4 he has 2 weeks to prepare for his first game.
I personally don't think it matters. i think they could tell be the saturday before the game that he could play and he'd do a better job then leftwhich.. and i'm a supporter of BL

Yeah, I would almost take Ben blindfolded than Lefty. While, I understand the point the author was trying to make I can't agree.

frankthetank1
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I'd like to agree with ya D but unfortunately I can't. The Ravens are going to field a good team this year. They have holes just like we do but overall they will be tough. The bengals I think will field a respectable team this year (unlike the browns). They don't have the benefit of playing the 3rd place schedule this year (we do) and I think the addition of TO and Antonio Bryant is overrated.
The Ravens and the Steelers will fight it out for the division crown. I just hope the game we play them without Ben doesn't decide the winner.

i also think its overrated the way the media makes it out to be but i think the additions of both players is huge because they already had a very good group of wr's. ochostinko, TO, Bryant and caldwell has to be the best wr corps in the nfl or at least one of the best. the way our secondary played last year was pathetic. i only hope when we play the bungles we can put a ton of pressure on palmer.

Shawn
08-06-2010, 10:39 AM

I guess I just did.

I agree that the Ravens are highly overrated and that secondary will be exposed hard this season. I don't believe they will make the playoffs let alone a SB. I'm not sure about the Bengals though. The Bengals are strong from top to bottom at least on paper. But, of course it's the Bengals and we know how that often works out. But, I haven't heard anything negative about the Bengals OL...exact opposite actually.

Sugar
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Ben is easily the best QB in the division, IMO. That said, Lefty is about on par with Delhomme for the basement. We have a lot of potential at RB and WR, but both the Bengals and the Ravens have more proven weapons. It doesn't mean they're better (yet) but they are more proven.

The Bengals, Ravens and Steelers all have top 10 Defenses (maybe top 5). While the Ravens have some issues in their DB, we have some questions coming in too.

I agree that it will be a dogfight for the division this year and we'll be missing our one actual ace for one of the head to head matchups. That could be a difference between champs of the division and something less.

ikestops85
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Ben is easily the best QB in the division, IMO. That said, Lefty is about on par with Delhomme for the basement. We have a lot of potential at RB and WR, but both the Bengals and the Ravens have more proven weapons. It doesn't mean they're better (yet) but they are more proven.

The Bengals, Ravens and Steelers all have top 10 Defenses (maybe top 5). While the Ravens have some issues in their DB, we have some questions coming in too.

I agree that it will be a dogfight for the division this year and we'll be missing our one actual ace for one of the head to head matchups. That could be a difference between champs of the division and something less.

Ben is definitely the best QB in the division. I think Lefty is on par with not only Delhomme but also Flacco. In know we make fun of Palmer on this site but if he has time he is a damn fine QB. Last year he even led the bengals on some game winning drives trying to shake off that moniker that he isn't clutch.

feltdizz
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Flacco isn't that bad IMO because he isn't asked to win with his arm. If we are rating him as a passer I agree... in the Raven's philosophy he is a decent QB.

Snatch98
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Mewelde Moore isn't proven? Farrior, Foote, Woodley aren't proven? Timmons isn't proving to be a monster? We bring back McFadden who is proven in our system and return a healthy troy. Our o-line has a RT issue but beyond that I'd say things are shaping up pretty nicely. Add in the maturation of Ziggy Hood and guys like Mike Wallace and I'd say we're sitting pretty nicely all things considered. ARE is proven in our system and Arnaz Battle is a special teams beast and a pretty solid receiver, not great but certainly solid.

Yes we have young guys stepping in to certain spots but those young guys are ready. I was worried about our o-line then we signed Flozell. Outside of the Ben suspension our team old or not is TALENT LADEN. I'm not worried once Ben returns and even thing I like the prospect of Dixon or even Leftwich behind center until his return. I'm thinking at worst 2-2.

NJ-STEELER
08-06-2010, 02:11 PM

only difference in the schedules is 2 games

we play tennesse and oakland

benGALS play san diego and indy (definatley tougher then our 2 games)

rats play denver and houston

TallyStiller
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
The fact that we play Tampa Bay should be good for a W even without Ben. If we can steal just one of the three from amongst Atlanta, Tennessee, and Baltimore, we're .500 when Ben returns. I'm confident this team can do it. If Ben comes back focused and ready to be the player he can be, this team storms into the playoffs in that scenario... in fact, I say we win the division by beating the Rats in December.