PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians speaks

fordfixer
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Bruce Arians speaks
August 3rd, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/03/bruce-arians-speaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Here is a partial transcript of what Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said during a 15-plus minute interview with reporters Tuesday.

Q: Are questions about the running game overblown?

A: “We always want to run the ball. We ran the ball well last year from the 20 to 20. It was the short-yardage, goal line, end-of-the-game that didn’t measure up to our standards. We gave the ball back to the other team a couple of times and lost games because we couldn’t run out the clock. We want to keep our passing game right where it was and just improve those situations that are critical running areas.”

Q: What was your reaction when you learned Byron Leftwich was coming back to the Steelers?

A: “I was thrilled. He’s a quality guy as far as if he’s a backup he doesn’t need a lot of reps. He’s a very bright guy. He walked in and knew the offense like he never missed a practice. He stayed in contact with (quarterbacks coach) Randy (Fichtner) and I last year talking about ‘How are you guys attacking these guys? I want to put some of that stuff in.’ He brings a great enthusiasm to the game, a great brightness to the game. He has some limitations but he has won a lot of ballgames in this league so I have all the confidence in the world in him.”

Q: It’s a unique situation trying to get three quarterbacks ready to play. How is that going and do you re-evaluate it after a week or so?

“It’s not different than any other year at this time. You get each guy ready. You look at your offense in a way of what each one can do best and if he’s your guy, this is how we’ll tailor it to him. You have to be flexible enough in the offense to be able to do that so that. At this time of year you’re not going to get two guys all the throws, their arms will fall off. Everyone gets reps, so it’s really not any different. When the preseason games get here we’ll start deciding on reps and different things. Right now it’s still in the baby stages.”

Q: How would you evaluate the offensive line?

A: “I’m really pleased. Trai (Essex) has done a fantastic job working with Flo(zell Adams) and Flo’s jumped in and given us a great effort. Trai’s really helped him because Trai’s one of the brightest guys we have and it’s easy to come in and fit in when you have a guy who’s telling you what to do so it was a very easy transition. Now the left to right (switch), he’s done a great job so far. I feel real fine with the right side of the line. I like our backup (offensive) line. It’s a pretty good line. Tony Hills is coming on, (Doug) Legursky is a heck of a player. I’d put him in at any point and time. (Maurkice) Pouncey, Jonathan Scott, that whole group, I don’t mind putting any of them out there with Ben. This is the best young line we’ve had in camp as far as going into a preseason and not being afraid to throw the football because someone might get hurt.”

Q: Ben said he thinks Hines (Ward), (Mike) Wallace and Heath (Miller) can all have 100 catches each this season. What do you think?

A: “There’s no doubt about that. They all should have had it last year. We dropped a few. We want to improve the running game but we damn well don’t want to step back in the passing game. We want to have another 4,000-yard passer and two 1,000-yard receivers, I don’t care who they are. We should have had three last year."

Q: Did the rigors of a 16-game season affect Rashard Mendenhall last season?

A: “People kind of figured out who he was and ‘Hey, we’ve got to stop this guy.’ So we started seeing a lot more seven, eight in the box, which opens up all the guys outside. He stays healthy I think he is a 1,500-yard rusher. He should be that guy, just like Willie was, and that’s not getting every carry. He’s going to have long runs so he’s going to get his yards and he adds so much in the passing game. Right now he’s doing a great job improving as a receiver.”

Q: How is the depth at wide receiver?

A: “Arnaz (Battle) is having days, (Antwaan Randle) El is having real steady days, the two young kids (Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown) are flashing it. Tyler (Grisham) makes a first-down catch every time he gets in there. It’s the best group of one to eight that we’ve ever had. I had a lot of confidence putting Tyler in there last year when Hines got hurt. He’s a heck of a slow receiver and those two young kids are going to be dynamite, I think, so there’s some great competition going on. That’s the fun part. We’ve got tough decisions across the board and that’s when you’ve got quality depth.”

CanadianSteel
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Q: Ben said he thinks Hines (Ward), (Mike) Wallace and Heath (Miller) can all have 100 catches each this season. What do you think?

A: “There’s no doubt about that. They all should have had it last year. We dropped a few. We want to improve the running game but we damn well don’t want to step back in the passing game.

Sigh

It's stuff like this that makes me a BA :Hater

I love the passing game as much as the next guy but come on. Oh i'm all for whatever helps the Steelers put up W's but i just don't think this is the best way in doing it. Talk about a gassed D :(

News flash, Mendy only rushed 242 times last year and had over 1100 yards with a nice 4.6 avg. Give him the darn ball and watch Mendy run!!!
:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
He’s a heck of a slow receiver

Backhanded compliment of the year!!! :lol:

Sugar
08-04-2010, 11:10 PM
What he seems to be saying, and I really like BTW, is that we are NOT going to run the ball more but simply run better in short-yardage and goal-line situations. If we can fix that part and not lose out on the passing game from last year, this O will be absolutely lights out!!

:Boobs

Steelers>NFL
08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Everytime he speaks, I just wanna ram a football down his throat and tell him to
STFU already. Annoying little bastard!

fezziwig
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Whatever he says now or through the season is not what he coaches or puts on the field. He has done some really stupid stuff with his playing calling at times.
This guys is still burned into my memory of being a but wipe as Clevelands OC.
Here comes the fezziwig broken record again.

I'm far from the best when it comes down to telling someone about plays, formations etc but, I knew as a Steeler fan when Arians was a Cleveland guy that he stunk. He would do some stupid **** as their OC. I remember a couple of games that he cost the Browns against our Steelers. One game in particular the Clevelnad offense had us up against the ropes but there was one play they continued on running that we snuffed out each time. Minutes left to the game and we were not matching up to their offense all game and then, he throws in the play they couldn't run against us the entire game, and we ended up winning. We would have lost if it was for his sabotage of his own team.

ramblinjim
08-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I try really hard not to be a hater but if we throw the ball 46 times again, against a team that can't stop the run, in sub-zero weather, with a 40 mph wind; I reserve the right to tele-port through the TV set and knock him in the head.

ikestops85
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I try really hard not to be a hater but if we throw the ball 46 times again, against a team that can't stop the run, in sub-zero weather, with a 40 mph wind; I reserve the right to tele-port through the TV set and knock him in the head.

Now that made me smile :D

Djfan
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Now that made me smile :D

And, it's right.

ramblinjim
08-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Just need to invent tele-porting! :-)