PDA

View Full Version : Lolley Day IV

SteelHoss
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
NFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... -news.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/08/tuesdays-notes-and-news.html)

Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Tuesday's notes and news
Running back Rashard Mendenhall was back at practice Tuesday, though he just worked in position drills.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring), guard Ramon Foster (head) and rookie guard/center Maurkice Pouncey (hamstring) were all back in action today.

Rookie Jason Worilds (hamstring) continues to sit out.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians talked about a number of subjects this afternoon with several media members and was quite brazen in how good he thinks the offense can be in 2009 despite missing Ben Roethlisberger for a spell.

Arians said he believes the team can have 4,000 yards passing, two or even three 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,500-yard rusher in Mendenhall.

His caveat was Mendenhall staying healthy.

He also said that he would be open to using Dennis Dixon in a Wildcat role this season if he's not starting - something he's balked at in the past. He also wants to work in some gadget plays with Antwaan Randle El.

Arians said he'll have no problem working any of his quarterbacks behind the second-team offensive line, which he called the best backup unit the Steelers have had since he's been here.

That group includes three guys - Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky and Jonathan Scott who have started games in the NFL, and first round pick in Markice Pouncey.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jj28west
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
He also said that he would be open to using Dennis Dixon in a Wildcat role this season if he's not starting - something he's balked at in the past. He also wants to work in some gadget plays with Antwaan Randle El.

Even if you never use it Bruce let it be one more thing that the opponents defense has to prepare for and worry about.

Northern_Blitz
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Even if you never use it Bruce let it be one more thing that the opponents defense has to prepare for and worry about.

BA always said that he didn't use Dixon in the wildcat because he didn't want to take the ball out of his $100M QB's hands (which I think makes alot of sense). That won't be an issue for the first 4 games. I wonder if we'll start Lefty, but use Dixon often in a more pass happy version of the Wildcat. If it works for games 1-4 (6), who knows...

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Sorry but i still have a strong dislike of BA :(
4000yards passing is not going to take us anywhere

papillon
08-03-2010, 10:49 PM

If the defense returns to form and we get thew 1500 from Mendy it will. If the offense relies on the passing without an efficient running game to complement it, then I agree with your assessment.

The defense is going to be the key to this year's success, IMO.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
The offense is no worry. It will be productive. There is only stat that means anything and will be the tell-tale of where the Steelers go. If the Steelers can get their points allowed into the 15-16 range...Deep into Playoffs & who knows. Only stat that will matter.

proudpittsburgher
08-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I've been wondering why they haven't used Dixon in the this role last season, if for nothign else to get him out on the field more in game situations. Plus, yes, it would force the defenses to prepare for something else. Hell, the Ravens knew Dixon was going to run against them, and he still turned the corner on them. You would have to pay attention to him. I would guess with Ben out, and Dixon likely being the secodn string for the first four games, that we will see this wildcat early.

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 09:02 AM
4000 yards passing will get us far if the D can stop teams like Baltimore and the Raiders on 3rd and gazillion in the 4th quarter. Our D used to get sacks to end thw game when we knew they had to pass.

Dixon should get more playing time in the red zone to shale things up and also be a decoy. I had no problem with the way we used him in the Bmore game given who his back up was. Dixon is fast but he isn't big. Look what Ike did to Pat White last year. Ouch.

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
4000 yards passing will get us far if the D plays well. They were terrible last year when we needed them.
Dixon was able to turn the corner in the Bmore game because we didn't keep pressing to get him out there all game. Given his baqck up and the D we were facing I think we did a great job. I would like to see us mix in some plays with him to keep the D on its toes.

MicroBioSteel
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
4000 yards passing will get us far if the D plays well. They were terrible last year when we needed them.
Dixon was able to turn the corner in the Bmore game because we didn't keep pressing to get him out there all game. Given his baqck up and the D we were facing I think we did a great job. I would like to see us mix in some plays with him to keep the D on its toes.

If we pass for 4000 yards that means that we are in shootouts, likely playing from behind, and the defense is being asked to come onto the field with much more frequency having the ultimate effect of an ineffective unit in the 4th quarter. Our D is most effective when they expend max effort and are able to properly recuperate while the offense controls the ball with TOP > 5min.

cruzer8
08-04-2010, 02:11 PM

If he's the #2 QB we can use him but if he gets hurt that's no good. If he's #3 QB then once he goes in the game the #1 QB and #2 QB can not return to the game.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking that Dixon can just be put into the game and taken out whenever.

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM

If he's the #2 QB we can use him but if he gets hurt that's no good. If he's #3 QB then once he goes in the game the #1 QB and #2 QB can not return to the game.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking that Dixon can just be put into the game and taken out whenever.

Well, for the first month of the season with Ben at home, Dixon will be the #2 behind Leftwich, so he will be able to come into and out of the games at will throughout September. If it is successful...who knows...maybe they keep Dixon as the #2 when Ben comes back for some wildcard possibilities and make Leftwich the emergency #3 at that point (I doubt it, but it's possible).

cruzer8
08-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Well, for the first month of the season with Ben at home, Dixon will be the #2 behind Leftwich, so he will be able to come into and out of the games at will throughout September. If it is successful...who knows...maybe they keep Dixon as the #2 when Ben comes back for some wildcard possibilities and make Leftwich the emergency #3 at that point (I doubt it, but it's possible).

And if Dixon is hurt? Then what are we left with? I've also not really seen anything from Dixon to show that he fits the Slash role that Kordell was so successful at.

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 03:16 PM

And if Dixon is hurt? Then what are we left with? I've also not really seen anything from Dixon to show that he fits the Slash role that Kordell was so successful at.

Last year, the "and if Dixon is hurt" argument worked, because when he played in the Baltimore game, there was only Tyler Palko behind him, who we had just recently picked up off the street. But right now we have Ben, Byron, and Charlie in addition to Dennis. I'm not worried about protecting Dixon right now, because there are other options available.

No one is asking Dixon to be Slash. Wildcat does not equal Slash. Put Dixon in the shotgun with a RB (Mendenhall or Moore) as a sidecar next to him. Then send a WR (Randle El or Ward or Battle, since all have experience as a starting QB in college) in motion toward the backfield and snap the ball just as the WR in motion is about to arrive in the backfield. Dixon could hand the ball to the WR coming in motion, and that player could then throw or run. Dixon could fake the handoff and keep the ball himself, having the option now to throw or run himself. Or Dixon to flip the ball to the RB already in the backfield, and the RB would have the choice to run or throw. The defense has 6 different options to worry about...WR run, WR throw, QB run, QB throw, RB run, RB throw.

We have the horses to pull this off, based on the personnel we now have a QB, WR, and RB. I wouldn't use it as a staple of the offense like Miami does, but maybe once or twice a game to stir things up is not out of the realm of possibility.

LordVile
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Last year, the "and if Dixon is hurt" argument worked, because when he played in the Baltimore game, there was only Tyler Palko behind him, who we had just recently picked up off the street. But right now we have Ben, Byron, and Charlie in addition to Dennis. I'm not worried about protecting Dixon right now, because there are other options available.

No one is asking Dixon to be Slash. Wildcat does not equal Slash. Put Dixon in the shotgun with a RB (Mendenhall or Moore) as a sidecar next to him. Then send a WR (Randle El or Ward or Battle, since all have experience as a starting QB in college) in motion toward the backfield and snap the ball just as the WR in motion is about to arrive in the backfield. Dixon could hand the ball to the WR coming in motion, and that player could then throw or run. Dixon could fake the handoff and keep the ball himself, having the option now to throw or run himself. Or Dixon to flip the ball to the RB already in the backfield, and the RB would have the choice to run or throw. The defense has 6 different options to worry about...WR run, WR throw, QB run, QB throw, RB run, RB throw.

We have the horses to pull this off, based on the personnel we now have a QB, WR, and RB. I wouldn't use it as a staple of the offense like Miami does, but maybe once or twice a game to stir things up is not out of the realm of possibility.

Who needs BA when we have u ruthless... :Bow

fordfixer
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I can see the fire Ruthless threads now :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I can see the fire Ruthless threads now :lol: :lol:

http://www.FireRuthlessBurgher.com is still available. Get it while it's hot!

stlrz d
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM

http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/harlemglobetrotters.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2010, 12:18 AM

http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/harlemglobetrotters.jpg

You'd probably prefer "Sweet Georgia Brown" to "Renegade"

We'd have the petition the league to change the name of the "Cleveland Browns" to the "Washington Generals"

NJ-STEELER
08-05-2010, 01:49 AM
4K passing on the year

is 250 passing yds/game

hardly 'shootouts'

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM

In 2008 we had 3,300 yards passing and 4,991 total yards.

In 2005 we had 2,900 yards passing and 5,149 total yards.

BA's numbers put us in line with that. Then it comes back to the D to be as awesome as they were in '05 and '08.

cruzer8
08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
4K passing on the year

is 250 passing yds/game

hardly 'shootouts'

True, but Ben got 500 of those yards in one game. :D

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
4K passing on the year

is 250 passing yds/game

hardly 'shootouts'

True, but Ben got 500 of those yards in one game. :D

And we needed every last one of those passing yards to win that game, since it was a TD pass to Wallace with no time left on the clock that clinched it.