PDA

View Full Version : Rising Defenders

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Article by James Walker highlights Timmons

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/training ... id=5430482 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/insider/news/story?id=5430482)

Lawrence Timmons, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Timmons is better cast to be a Derrick Brooks-type outside linebacker rather than a pure 3-4 inside guy, but his upside is amazing in any and all capacities of playing linebacker. I say he isn't a great fit because he isn't a real banger and runs around too many blocks, but he's still a very young player who has been brought along slowly in Pittsburgh. He was only a one-year starter at Florida State and has been a work in progress, but he might already be the best blitzing inside linebacker in the league and can physically do anything asked of him. His coverage skills are raw, but this could be the year that he becomes a shut-down coverage linebacker against tight ends and running backs. He has the size to match up with tight ends like Jermaine Gresham and the fluidity and quickness to challenge Ray Rice in coverage. Timmons is tremendous in pursuit, extremely explosive in all his movements and a natural playmaker at just 24 years old. Timmons might just be Dick LeBeau's second-level version of Troy Polamalu before long.

papillon
08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Article by James Walker highlights Timmons

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/training ... id=5430482 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/insider/news/story?id=5430482)

Lawrence Timmons, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Timmons is better cast to be a Derrick Brooks-type outside linebacker rather than a pure 3-4 inside guy, but his upside is amazing in any and all capacities of playing linebacker. I say he isn't a great fit because he isn't a real banger and runs around too many blocks, but he's still a very young player who has been brought along slowly in Pittsburgh. He was only a one-year starter at Florida State and has been a work in progress, but he might already be the best blitzing inside linebacker in the league and can physically do anything asked of him. His coverage skills are raw, but this could be the year that he becomes a shut-down coverage linebacker against tight ends and running backs. He has the size to match up with tight ends like Jermaine Gresham and the fluidity and quickness to challenge Ray Rice in coverage. Timmons is tremendous in pursuit, extremely explosive in all his movements and a natural playmaker at just 24 years old. Timmons might just be bad word LeBeau's second-level version of Troy Polamalu before long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gif

Pappy

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Wow, some nice words for Timmons to be sure. I just hope he and Farrior can hold up on the run. Having Smith back will be huge but with Farrior getting older i'm starting to worry if we still have what it takes at ILB to stop the run.

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, some nice words for Timmons to be sure. I just hope he and Farrior can hold up on the run. Having Smith back will be huge but with Farrior getting older i'm starting to worry if we still have what it takes at ILB to stop the run.

Our defense did not struggle stopping the run last season. Our bad moments were all about stopping the pass especially to secondary receivers and sacking the QB.

All the criticism about Timmons being weak against the run is an urban legend. His being a full time starter has not hurt us in that area one bit and he has brought so much more in other aspects of LB play, e.g. pass defense, rushing the QB from inside

Eddie Spaghetti
08-03-2010, 01:19 PM
i remember several times last season timmons taking horrible angles on the ballcarrier and looking like a fool. to say he is weak against the run may be slightly inaccurate, but there is still alot of room for improvement.

i hope he has a huge year, but to this point he has not lived up to the 15th selection.

phillyesq
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
i hope he has a huge year, but to this point he has not lived up to the 15th selection.

You should know by know that we can't hold Timmons to a high standard just because he was a high first round pick (the highest since Ben). Just because players selected after him at the same position have become all pros, we can't be disappointed in Timmons at all. We're supposed to heap praise on him for his potential.

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM

You should know by know that we can't hold Timmons to a high standard just because he was a high first round pick (the highest since Ben). Just because players selected after him at the same position have become all pros, we can't be disappointed in Timmons at all. We're supposed to heap praise on him for his potential.

I assume your sarcastic criticism references Jon Beason. Apples and oranges comparison. Beason plays in a 4-3 defense and was a MLB in college. He moved into a far less complex defense and played his natural position. Timmons was an OLB in college and has been moved inside in a completely different defense where is is asked to do different things and by reputation of the complexity of LeBeau's defense much more.

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I never said Timmons was bad against the run, but we all know his strong point is in coverage. While he did look silly on a few run plays last year you are right, we were ok against the run. Guess i'm just very concerned that Farrior just can't get the job done anymore. I love the guy but at some point you have to know you've lost a step or 2

StarSpangledSteeler
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Our defense did not struggle stopping the run last season. Our bad moments were all about stopping the pass especially to secondary receivers and sacking the QB.

All the criticism about Timmons being weak against the run is an urban legend. His being a full time starter has not hurt us in that area one bit and he has brought so much more in other aspects of LB play, e.g. pass defense, rushing the QB from inside

I tend to agree more with Oviedo's line of thinking. We consistently stop the run better than any other team besides maybe the Ravens. Timmons may not be Ray Lewis, but if he is so weak against the run, then why are our team stats still so good? I would rather have Timmons than a true thumper anyways, because the place we typically get beat is "quick slants" and "skinny posts" (and some times misdirection passes to RB in the flat). Timmons is already good at defending those patterns and will continue to get better. The thing most people forget is that he is very quick at QB pressure up the middle. That is the core of our whole defense. LB blitz pressure. If we can't get to the QB quickly, our secondary is screwed. It will be very interesting to see how Timmons does this year. And what critics here on this board say if he put up explosive numbers.

DukieBoy
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Hoping Foote steps in to play inside with Timmons. Foote will be strong against the run and complement Timmons' strengths very well.

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 03:28 PM

I tend to agree more with Oviedo's line of thinking. We consistently stop the run better than any other team besides maybe the Ravens. Timmons may not be Ray Lewis, but if he is so weak against the run, then why are our team stats still so good? I would rather have Timmons than a true thumper anyways, because the place we typically get beat is "quick slants" and "skinny posts" (and some times misdirection passes to RB in the flat). Timmons is already good at defending those patterns and will continue to get better. The thing most people forget is that he is very quick at QB pressure up the middle. That is the core of our whole defense. LB blitz pressure. If we can't get to the QB quickly, our secondary is screwed. It will be very interesting to see how Timmons does this year. And what critics here on this board say if he put up explosive numbers.

They will still call him a bust because the expectations for him are unrealistic.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
The critics will say it's about time timmons lived up to his lofty draft status. And they will be right. Timmons supporters fail to see players taken after him having much larger impacts on their respective ballclubs. If expecting solid numbers from a top 15 draft pick in his fourth year is a crime, sue me.

frankthetank1
08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
The critics will say it's about time timmons lived up to his lofty draft status. And they will be right. Timmons supporters fail to see players taken after him having much larger impacts on their respective ballclubs. If expecting solid numbers from a top 15 draft pick in his third year is a crime, sue me.

he should be putting up solid numbers and he did in his second season. he had 70+ tackles when he was sharing playing time with foote. i was a little dissapointed with him in his first season as a starter because of the numbers he put up the year before, but he hurt his ankle early on and wasnt healthy for a while. i think this season he will have a monster year.

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
You know i think half the problem is the over hyping people do. In this thread alone Timmons has been called the best blitzing ILB in the NFL and was also said to be the 2nd lvls version of Troy P. The truth as always is somewhere in the middle

steelblitz
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
It's time!

I think the high ankle sprains hampered him quite a bit last year. Which slowed his speed & explosiveness, which is his strength. Timmons staying healthy all season is my only real concern with LT. He's stated that he's bulked up some this year, hopefully that bodes well for his body. Let's not forget that he's young, and hopefully now he's conditioned himself physically to withstand a full season at ILB in the 3-4. I expect a big year from the defense, including Timmons.

40+ sacks between S'Back, Wood & LT

It's time.

feltdizz
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
The critics will say it's about time timmons lived up to his lofty draft status. And they will be right. Timmons supporters fail to see players taken after him having much larger impacts on their respective ballclubs. If expecting solid numbers from a top 15 draft pick in his fourth year is a crime, sue me.

Were any of those teams defenses in the top 5 each of the last 5 years?

Most of the players who had major impacts were on much worse D's. Expecting Timmons to come onto a top 5 defense and take us to the next level is laughable.

I don't think Beason would look any better on our D because he would be next to Woodley and Harrison amd we would pick apart his coverage skills. Timmons was 3rd in sacks and had a ton of pressures as well. He needs to take on blocks better on runs but overall he is right where he needs to be.

steelblitz
08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
If expecting solid numbers from a top 15 draft pick in his fourth year is a crime, sue me.I expect his best year. If we get that, that's probowl cal.

40+ sacks from S'Back Wood LT alone

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
If expecting solid numbers from a top 15 draft pick in his fourth year is a crime, sue me.I expect his best year. If we get that, that's probowl cal.

40+ sacks from S'Back Wood LT alone

I like it, and would love to see it. however i'm thinking even 30 sacks would be great!

Slapstick
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
78 tackles, 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 4 passes defensed...

What exactly are you looking for in a player who plays next to Harrison and Woodley?

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM

What exactly are you looking for in a player who plays next to Harrison and Woodley?

125 tackles, 15 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and a passing TD.

The Timmons detractors will never he happy.

Sugar
08-04-2010, 06:28 PM

125 tackles, 15 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and a passing TD.

The Timmons detractors will never he happy.

Don't forget the six interceptions returned for TD's. :lol:

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2010, 08:01 PM
How about Crezdon Butler as a rising defender? Coach Tomlin called him 'rising'. Its nice to have an unexpected guy with that status.

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
We consistently stop the run better than any other team besides maybe the Ravens.

Don't forget the Vikings as well.

In the last 4 seasons, we ranked #3, #2, #3, and #3 in rush defense.

In the last 4 seasons, Baltimore ranked #5, #3, #2, and #2 in rush defense.

In the last 4 seasons, Minnesota ranked #2, #1, #1, and #1 in rush defense.