PDA

View Full Version : Add Mendenhall's name to growing injury list

fordfixer
08-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Steelers Notebook: Add Mendenhall's name to growing injury list
Tuesday, August 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215/1077201-66.stm

Another day, another top rookie lost to a hamstring injury, and starting running back Rashard Mendenhall joined the growing list of injured as well.

Linebacker Jason Worilds, a second-round draft pick, joined first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey on the sideline with a hamstring injury. Worilds was injured Monday afternoon in practice.

Those remaining sidelined with hamstring injuries: rookie halfback Jonathan Dwyer and nose tackle Casey Hampton.

Mendenhall, the team's 1,000-yard rusher in 2009, had a toe stepped on during the morning practice, had it drained and was absent in the afternoon. Dwyer has been out since the first day with a hamstring injury.

Coach Mike Tomlin downplayed the injury to Mendenhall, calling it "a minor toe injury. We'll continue to watch him, day to day."

Hampton, out since Saturday, worked in a limited capacity Monday afternoon, and "it looks like he's coming back to us, as is Ramon Foster," Tomlin said.

Foster, a guard/tackle, has been out with a concussion.
Polamalu's health fine

Tomlin seemed irked when a reporter told him that safety Troy Polamalu said he is not 100 percent healthy because of his knee injuries from last season.

"I'm not keeping an eye on him," Tomlin said. "He has medical clearance to participate, so there hadn't been any discussions along those lines. I'm sure there are a lot of men if you ask them that are slightly less than 100 percent that are coming off injury seasons.

"That's just the nature of coming off. But he has no medical restrictions and really I'm not looking for anything out of the ordinary in regards to his health.''

Polamalu missed 11 games last season.
New fullback in camp

The Steelers have a new fullback and parted ways with the rookie defensive tackle they were trying at the position.

The club claimed second-year fullback Dwayne Wright off waivers from the Eagles. Wright (6 feet, 234 pounds) was drafted by Buffalo in the fourth round in 2007 from Fresno State. He appeared in 15 games with the Bills, who released him before the 2008 season.

He was with the New York Giants in training camp in 2009, and the Eagles signed him in January.

To make room for Wright, the Steelers released Demetrius Taylor, who played defensive tackle at Virginia Tech. Taylor had been the only fullback listed on their roster.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215/10 ... z0vWD0r700 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215/1077201-66.stm#ixzz0vWD0r700)

CanadianSteel
08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Seems Mendy is still having trouble holding on to the ball as well, or so I've heard from people attending training camp :(

papillon
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I hate this part of the season, you can't win any games during training camp, but you can lose games, because of injuries. I'm just hoping the Steelers get out of camp relatively healthy. With the way athletes train year round, is 6 weeks of training camp necessary?

Pappy

NWNewell
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
For the conditioning? No.

For the team chemistry and comradery? Possibly.

Discipline of Steel
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
All hamstrings. To be expected when everyone gets together and start sprinting again. Unfortunately, you have to let them rest several days so it doesnt turn into a serious hamstring issue which can hang around all year. Hopefully, none are too severe already. Mendenhall may be a blessing in disguise as the team still searches for #2.

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
is 6 weeks of training camp necessary?

Actually, training camp is only 3 weeks long now. The first practice in Latrobe was on Saturday, 7/31/10. The last practice in Latrobe is scheduled for Wednesday, 8/18/10.

fezziwig
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't understand how there are so many hamstring injuries and it's not isolated to our team. You would think there would be some conditioning that would help prevent so many hamstring injuries. The first time I remember a player injuring a hamstring, I believe it was Louie Lipps. I'm sure there were others but, it's just my memory.

papillon
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
is 6 weeks of training camp necessary?

Actually, training camp is only 3 weeks long now. The first practice in Latrobe was on Saturday, 7/31/10. The last practice in Latrobe is scheduled for Wednesday, 8/18/10.

Yea, but they keep bangin heads until the pre-season is done and the roster has been established, whether it happens in Latrobe or the Southside, I hate this part of the season.

Pappy