PDA

View Full Version : Issac Redman

Chucktownsteeler
08-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a Steeler friend that is simply obsessed with Issac Redman. He has a "man crush" like no other.

What's everyone's thoughts on the young running back Redman. From what I see he is much to slow for the NFL and the competirion he saw in college (or lack there-of) was dreadful.

Does this young buck Issac have a chance to be a decent NFL running back or just camp fodder?

Discuss.

C-town

:2c

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
here's my officially posted Planet Steelers Preseason Nostradamus prediction:

Isaac Redman will lead the team in total rushing yards and rushing TDs during the preseason and also will make the final roster.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Isaac-redman.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0EShxbTHdIo/Som5iijl8kI/AAAAAAAABao/S2dXnRLbTco/s400/09_Ari_Redman1.jpg

i can't wait to see Redzone Redman (and all other Steeler players, for that matter) play in our first preseason game against the Lions in less than two weeks! :tt2

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a Steeler friend that is simply obsessed with Issac Redman. He has a "man crush" like no other.

What's everyone's thoughts on the young running back Redman. From what I see he is much to slow for the NFL and the competirion he saw in college (or lack there-of) was dreadful.

Does this young buck Issac have a chance to be a decent NFL running back or just camp fodder?

Discuss.

C-town

I hope to see him succeed but also don't understand the obsession.

Curious, what's your friend's opinion on Timmons? There's a guy who has produced yet still gets slammed.

I just don't get it.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Discuss.

C-town

Curious, what's your friend's opinion on Timmons? There's a guy who has produced yet still gets slammed.

I just don't get it.

I think Lawrence Timmons is going to have a breakout season.

The Man of Steel
08-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Redman played in the same football conference (CIAA) that produced former Steelers Richard Huntley and Yancey Thigpen so I don't think where he played his college ball at really matters all that much. Besides, he's Bowie State's all-time leading rusher which is about as much as you could ask for from the kid in terms of production. He'll make the team.

jj28west
08-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Between Dwyer and Red I think our short yardage/redzone game will improve so speed may not be so much a factor IMO.

The caveat is who is the odd man out to the P squad?

Chucktownsteeler
08-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Discuss.

C-town

I just don't get it.

He loves Redman and BA, pretty much nuetral on Timmons. At Mac and Wife (Steelers site) there is plenty of hate for the young guns, Timmons, Mendenhall, etc. I don't think they embrace change very well. I am very high on Timmons and think that he will have a monster year, while many want him on the pine in lieu of Foote. I also think "Rushhard" Mendenhall is the real deal, but a few don't see it.

Thanks for your input.

Chucktown

:tt2

frankthetank1
08-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Discuss.

C-town

I just don't get it.

He loves Redman and BA, pretty much nuetral on Timmons. At Mac and Wife (Steelers site) there is plenty of hate for the young guns, Timmons, Mendenhall, etc. I don't think they embrace change very well. I am very high on Timmons and think that he will have a monster year, while many want him on the pine in lieu of Foote. I also think "Rushhard" Mendenhall is the real deal, but a few don't see it.

Thanks for your input.

Chucktown

how can any steeler fan not like mendenhall after how he played last season? some steeler fans are so strange to me. i will never understand how some steeler fans hated bettis or hines either.

proudpittsburgher
08-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Discuss.

C-town

I just don't get it.

Thanks for your input.

Chucktown

how can any steeler fan not like mendenhall after how he played last season? some steeler fans are so strange to me. i will never understand how some steeler fans hated bettis or hines either.

:Agree What he said. I actually contemplated starting a thread today about what's going on with Steeler fans nowadays. Everybody, and I mean everybody is picked apart to the n'th degree. Honestly, it takes the fun out of it for me to, after a win, have to read through thread after thread about how we won despite Arians horrific play calling. And how we could do better with someone other than Ben because he holds on to the ball too long or doesn't go through his progressions quick enough. yada yada yada. I get that we are in a fantasy football world and that players are more under the microscope than ever, but The NFL isn't run like a fantasy team. You can't have Manning at QB, Chris Johnson at tailback, Moss/Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson at wideout, Gates at TE, etc. Players have always had weaknesses, and while discussion of that is certainly warranted, I think people get a bit too obsessed with it and it gets to the point where that's how a player gets labeled. Somehow taking away from their abilities. . . "Sure, Ben has won two Super Bowls, had a 500 yard passing game, led the team to a double-digit total of fourth quarter comebacks in a relatively short career so far, is the most prolific QB that the Steelers have had in 35 years, but he holds on to the ball too long for my likeing." :wft

Notleadpoisoned
08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Redman played in the same football conference (CIAA) that produced former Steelers Richard Huntley and Yancey Thigpen so I don't think where he played his college ball at really matters all that much. Besides, he's Bowie State's all-time leading rusher which is about as much as you could ask for from the kid in terms of production. He'll make the team.

Hopefully Redman is just a tad better than Huntley was. Not a bad comparison though.

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Redman and Dwyer will both make the Final 53 (along with Mendy, Moore and Summers), but when it comes to who dresses on gameday it will be Dwyer.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Speed is not the top requirement for a RB to be successful. There are many "slow a foot" RBs who had Pro Bowl careers. Many FO's covet that homerun hitter in a high round RB. But the buyer beware is when he loses a step, his RB skills or lack there of show up (Willie Parker). Look at this list with the Steelers alone back to Blier & Harris. Throw in Foster, Morris, and probably the biggest example Jerome Bettis.

NFL = speed...Very true and nobody comes close. But the closer you get to the ball, there are more valuable assets to have than speed. Evidence to the fact that OL & DL have long productive careers if they can avoid injury. A step slower than someone else can be made up by technique, instincts, football knowledge, vision, quick feet, balance, and the most underated quality...heart. RBs share alot of the same. If you are not a game breaker, you could be highly productive if you have good vision, instincts, balance, and the ability to break arm tackles. If you don't have these later in your career, the tires come off quick.

If you remember, Bettis was never a burner. The Rams didn't like his stop watch speed and tried to convert him to FB. I remember when I heard Keisel beat him in a foot race during his last years here. But Bettis had great vision, quick feet, incredible balance, and would break arm tackles on his first carry. Come late in the game, that is what you want. Nobody wants to lower their head and wrap him up. Bettis would run through arm tackles and eat up the clock like Big Snack going through a box of Twinkies in March. Goaline & short yardage, he had a nose to find that smallest crack and squirt through. The Steelers have been lacking that "closer" since Bettis retired as well as that goaline & short yardage back. That is what a guy like Redman can give you. He hasn't got much work. But a nose for the endzone is a good summary of all those parts. He showed his endzone ability last year. He showed early in camp he can be relied on to block and be a personal protector. Very important skill to have because t opens up the playbook for a playaction fake in short yardage & goaline. The offense's pass protection is out numbered in most of those situations and the RB is on an island protecting the QB against a LB. If Redman can duplicate what he did last preseason and show his effectiveness in game at blocking...His ST play will be what gets him a spot. That was the biggest factor last year and I believe it will be the deciding factor this year.

ramblinjim
08-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I think the kid is going to get a shot and we'll see how he does with it. It sounds more and more like he just wasn't in NFL shape last year in camp and that this year he seems to be. I hope all the guys get a good shot and we have a beastly running back corps this year.

proudpittsburgher
08-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Bettis would run through arm tackles and eat up the clock like Big Snack going through a box of Twinkies in March.

:Bow excellent analysis my good man. :)

Oviedo
08-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Discuss.

C-town

I just don't get it.

Thanks for your input.

Chucktown

:Agree What he said. I actually contemplated starting a thread today about what's going on with Steeler fans nowadays. Everybody, and I mean everybody is picked apart to the n'th degree. Honestly, it takes the fun out of it for me to, after a win, have to read through thread after thread about how we won despite Arians horrific play calling. And how we could do better with someone other than Ben because he holds on to the ball too long or doesn't go through his progressions quick enough. yada yada yada. I get that we are in a fantasy football world and that players are more under the microscope than ever, but The NFL isn't run like a fantasy team. You can't have Manning at QB, Chris Johnson at tailback, Moss/Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson at wideout, Gates at TE, etc. Players have always had weaknesses, and while discussion of that is certainly warranted, I think people get a bit too obsessed with it and it gets to the point where that's how a player gets labeled. Somehow taking away from their abilities. . . "Sure, Ben has won two Super Bowls, had a 500 yard passing game, led the team to a double-digit total of fourth quarter comebacks in a relatively short career so far, is the most prolific QB that the Steelers have had in 35 years, but he holds on to the ball too long for my likeing." :wft

Alot of people aren't happy unless they are unhappy.

There are alot of posters who need to feel that they are smarter than or have more on the ball than the guys who are actually part of the NFL as players or coaches.

I never quite understand the need to be negative but I guess some people just transfer their outlooks on life to the message board.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
He loves Redman and BA

Did I just read that correctly? He loves BA? BA as in Bruce Arians???

Some hate Arians, some despise him, some dislike him, and some tolerate him. Perhaps some may even like him a little bit. But other than, say, his mother, wife, and kids, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone saying that they love Arians.

Chucktownsteeler
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
He loves Redman and BA

Some hate Arians, some despise him, some dislike him, and some tolerate him. Perhaps some may even like him a little bit. But other than, say, his mother, wife, and kids, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone saying that they love Arians.

Yes, he has a "man-crush" on BA (Bruce Arians). Even created an all "Bruce" team where every player's first name was Bruce. I think he wants to have Bruce's love child.

C-town

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2010, 01:59 PM
He loves Redman and BA

Yes, he has a "man-crush" on BA (Bruce Arians). Even created an all "Bruce" team where every player's first name was Bruce. I think he wants to have Bruce's love child.

C-town

Kind of like the Monty Python skit in which everyone in Australia is named Bruce (except for a single Chadman, of course).

http://mtglair.de/img/python/First_Bruce.jpghttp://mtglair.de/img/python/Second_Bruce.jpg

http://mtglair.de/img/python/Third_Bruce.jpghttp://mtglair.de/img/python/Fourth_Bruce.jpg

http://mtglair.de/img/python/New_Bruce.jpg

aggiebones
08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Redman and Dwyer will both make the Final 53 (along with Mendy, Moore and Summers), but when it comes to who dresses on gameday it will be Dwyer.

Well, you are at least coming around finally. At least you have him making the team. I wonder what excuse you'll use when Redman runs for a TD and Dwyer is on the PS come regular season.

For the record, I think Summers will be cut too, especially when 10 other better/real FBs from other teams are cut late in training camps.

steelblitz
08-03-2010, 06:18 PM
-Hard worker.....proved it last year and he's bringing it this year
-tough willing competitor.....runs hard & blocks extremely well
-he's improved.....came into camp in much better condition this year "pro ready"

What's not to like? He better play STs like Carey Davis to cement a spot.

No one is comparing him to Payton, and Mendenhall is the man. But hey, there's one of those UDFAs we all love.

Redman>>>Summers

Shoe
08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
If nothing else, guys like him make preseason games worth watching. Last year, with him and Logan, it was actually fun to watch preseason.