Stewie
08-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Moore or Redman???

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Moore.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I think it's close. Personally, I would go with the younger guy, Redman. I think he's stronger, has more attitude as a runner, and is much better than Moore picking up the blitz. What remains to be seen is if Redman can get his assignments down and run smart (low with patience). I think he can. Ergo, my choice. Moore may be slightly faster, but he didn't run away from anybody last year.

frankthetank1
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I think it's close. Personally, I would go with the younger guy, Redman. I think he's stronger, has more attitude as a runner, and is much better than Moore picking up the blitz. What remains to be seen is if Redman can get his assignments down and run smart (low with patience). I think he can. Ergo, my choice. Moore may be slightly faster, but he didn't run away from anybody last year.

is he better at picking up the blitz? i havent seen a whole lot of redman to make that assesment. im not sure how good of a recieving back redman is but moore is the best on the team in that category. i would go with moore who can also return punts if need be. he has very high value at a low price tag

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Given that Redman has never played in a real NFL game not sure how anyone knows he is better at anything. Moore is outstanding at blitz pick-up which is why he has been a go to third down back most of his career.

Not sure that Redman would even dress on game days if he made the Fianl 53. We know that Moore would.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:00 AM

Given that Redman has never played in a real NFL game not sure how anyone knows he is better at anything. Moore is outstanding at blitz pick-up which is why he has been a go to third down back most of his career.

Not sure that Redman would even dress on game days if he made the Fianl 53. We know that Moore would.

Which is why I take Moore as well. If Eye Sack gets a chance to do it with the first team in a pre season game and does it well...then we'll have something to go on...and even debate. But at this point it's Moore.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM

is he better at picking up the blitz? i havent seen a whole lot of redman to make that assesment. im not sure how good of a recieving back redman is but moore is the best on the team in that category. i would go with moore who can also return punts if need be. he has very high value at a low price tag

Redman was commended last year by Tomlin for his blocking, which he did consistently well during that camp, He's already made outstanding blocks in this camp. I recall Moore getting run over by blitzers a couple of times last year. I don't know that Moore is the best on the team in receiving out of the backfield. Last year, FWP, couldn't catch a cold, and Mendy was just average. Moore was the best last year, but Redman can catch also, and is much more likely to get significant YAC. If you want to talk about price, Redman wins that also. The punt returning that Moore did last year was more punt catching than anything else. He was used when apparently they didn't want to risk a fumble by the smaller Logan, when the team was backed up. Any set of hands can do that, but how about making a play? Redman's problem last year was his small college background. He didn't have the conditioning or football savvy that he needed. He's now conditioned and knows the playbook...and he's got a 'tude. In Moore's favor, he was brought here from MN by Tomlin. It's close.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
You bought a Redman jersey, didn't you? :shock:

Stewie
08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
You bought a Redman jersey, didn't you? :shock:
No jersey. I think Redmand can play, and we cannot protect him on the PS. I would hate to see him run against us. He showed what he could do against the first team Steelers defense repeatedly last year without being in the best football shape. I recognize that Moore is a crafty veteran, who made not a few clutch catches to move the chains. But I cannot turn a blind eye to the fact that he averaged 3.4 yds. per carry, with 0 TDS, and a long run of 10 yards; and 7.8 yds per catch with a long gain of 19 yards and 2TDs. Pedestrian, IMHO, and I think that we need playmakers. I don't believe, based on what Redman did against the Steelers first team defense, that Redman, given the chances that Moore had, would have had a long rush of 10 yards and a long reception of 19 yards. Contructive 'tude is everything. It is the fertilizer of big plays.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 09:34 AM
BTW, look at the decline in Moore's stats.

http://www.nfl.com/players/meweldemoore ... =MOO557284 (http://www.nfl.com/players/meweldemoore/profile?id=MOO557284)

frankthetank1
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Redman was commended last year by Tomlin for his blocking, which he did consistently well during that camp, He's already made outstanding blocks in this camp. I recall Moore getting run over by blitzers a couple of times last year. I don't know that Moore is the best on the team in receiving out of the backfield. Last year, FWP, couldn't catch a cold, and Mendy was just average. Moore was the best last year, but Redman can catch also, and is much more likely to get significant YAC. If you want to talk about price, Redman wins that also. The punt returning that Moore did last year was more punt catching than anything else. He was used when apparently they didn't want to risk a fumble by the smaller Logan, when the team was backed up. Any set of hands can do that, but how about making a play? Redman's problem last year was his small college background. He didn't have the conditioning or football savvy that he needed. He's now conditioned and knows the playbook...and he's got a 'tude. In Moore's favor, he was brought here from MN by Tomlin. It's close.

well the big difference between redman and moore is redman has shown potential but it has been against back up scrubs in preseason games. moore has played in the nfl for a while now. when redman shows he can produce against nfl starters then it will be close who the better rb is. i know moore was in for return duties pretty much just to catch the ball but that is worth a lot. not all guys with good hands can do that. willie reid had pretty good hands but he couldnt hold onto punts and even holmes had some fumbles returning punts. moore reminds me a lot of kevin faulk. both are very underrated but both do all the little things well and are very versitile

Shawn
08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
If it's Moore of last season vs Redman...I go with the youth and potential.

If it's Moore of a couple seasons ago...clearly Moore.

cruzer8
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Moore.

feltdizz
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Moore is expendable IMO. He isn't a 3rd down back anymore because Mend has taken over that position. He will probably make the team because of experience but I see him as the odd man out.

The FO would love to see Redman make this team and contribute in short yardage. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

I wasw impressed Redman was the only one able to hold his ground against Gibson. That says a lot because our backs were getting run over in blitz pick up.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM

well the big difference between redman and moore is redman has shown potential but it has been against back up scrubs in preseason games. moore has played in the nfl for a while now. when redman shows he can produce against nfl starters then it will be close who the better rb is. i know moore was in for return duties pretty much just to catch the ball but that is worth a lot. not all guys with good hands can do that. willie reid had pretty good hands but he couldnt hold onto punts and even holmes had some fumbles returning punts. moore reminds me a lot of kevin faulk. both are very underrated but both do all the little things well and are very versitile

I think that it's accurate to say that Redman has only played "against back up scrubs", if and only if, you consider our first team defense as "back up scrubs."

frankthetank1
08-02-2010, 10:15 AM

I think that it's accurate to say that Redman has only played "against back up scrubs", if and only if, you consider our first team defense as "back up scrubs."

he has played against the first team defense in preseason games? i was referring to preseason games last season that i saw redman play with my own eyes. i wasnt talking about camp reports which mean even less to me than preseason games.

ikestops85
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I like what I have seen out of Redman last year in camp and what I have heard so far this year. I think the guy has definitely earned a chance to be focused in the pre-season games.

That being said I think Moore is the type of guy you need on your team if you want to win SBs. He is a jack of all trades and while he isn't the master of any he is damn good at what he does. If Mendy goes down Moore is the man you want to take his place.

As of right now I think you have to go with Moore but if Redman continues to shine then I think Frank the Tank or one of the Blocking Tight Ends gets the axe. The other scenario is feature one of our backs and try to trade at the start of the season. I think Denver lost it's top 2 backs the first day at camp.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Why not both? Keep Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman, plus Summers as a FB. It's not at all unusual for a team to keep 5 RB's on the 53 man roster.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I think that it's accurate to say that Redman has only played "against back up scrubs", if and only if, you consider our first team defense as "back up scrubs." [/quote]

he has played against the first team defense in preseason games? i was referring to preseason games last season that i saw redman play with my own eyes. i wasnt talking about camp reports which mean even less to me than preseason games.[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't aware of your qualifiers.

frankthetank1
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM

he has played against the first team defense in preseason games? i was referring to preseason games last season that i saw redman play with my own eyes. i wasnt talking about camp reports which mean even less to me than preseason games.[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't aware of your qualifiers.[/quote]

well do you believe more of what you see of hear? i dont believe much of what i hear and i believe almost everything i see. im no nfl scout but im not an idiot either. Like RB said both will probably be kept anyways. i hope both make the team and perform at a high level

Stewie
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I SAW Redman against our first team defense on the goalline repeatedly, when they knew he was gonna get the ball. To me, that's at least as impressive as some other defense in a preseason game. I don't disagree with the decision to PS him last year, but he's worked hard, he's improved, and Moore is on the decline.

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Why not both? Keep Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman, plus Summers as a FB. It's not at all unusual for a team to keep 5 RB's on the 53 man roster.

That is my bet how it ends up with all thoise players on the Final 53. The question is which player is inactive on game day. My bet is that it is the last active on gameday position that Dwyer and Redman are battling for.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't have a problem with 4 of the 5. Summers has to show me something. He's not a devesating blocker, and he has yet to show sparkling running. He was hurt last year, so I'll reserve judgment.

cruzer8
08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I SAW Redman against our first team defense on the goalline repeatedly, when they knew he was gonna get the ball. To me, that's at least as impressive as some other defense in a preseason game. I don't disagree with the decision to PS him last year, but he's worked hard, he's improved, and Moore is on the decline.

The defense ran the same play all 7 times Redman carried the ball and the offense knew it. That's why Ryan Clark got in Redman's face for showboating.

Steelers>NFL
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM

The starting defense played like back-up scrubs a lot last season during the regular season if I recall. :stirpot

He is hoping the defense comes back this season and plays in top form and dominate. :tt1

Stewie
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Although the defense played poorly, certainly not up to Steeler stds., at times last year, especially after the loss of Troy and Aaron, they did rank 5th in yards allowed and, more pertinently, 3rd in rushing defense. Both Troy and Aaron were in the GL drills that Redman dominated. As to playing the same defense all the time, how many options are there on the gl, especially when you know it's a run???

phillyesq
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Dale Lolley seems to think that is what the Steelers will do, with Logan getting cut.

If you're trying to win this season, no question, it is more. If you are rebuilding and looking to the future (which the Steelers aren't and shouldn't be), then it might be Redman.

Moore was a huge asset when Parker and Mendy got hurt a few years ago. He isn't the fastest, but he is a solid veteran who does a lot of things well. He is effective running, receiving and returning punts.

I'm fine with the Steelers keeping both, but I don't think you can go into the season with Mendy backed up by Dwyer, Redman and Summers. I think you need another vet in the mix.

ramblinjim
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
:Agree With PhillyEsq. I can't see the Steelers entering the season without one veteran backup in the mix behind Big Ben.

I'd love to see: Mendy, Moore, Summers, Dwyer and Redman all make the team and they can fight it out to see who is active and who isn't.

feltdizz
08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Funny how we always hear about getting younger but when push comes to shove we want the Vet.

I'm definitely in the camp of keeping both but I'm putting my money on youth and upside.

Moore showed me nothing last year. When did he play? I barely remember seeing him out there. He was great for us e years ago but I think his time is done. Keep him for hands and vet leadership but as an impact player Moore isn't that guy and won't see the field enough for it to really matter.

I'm not saying I'm sold on Redman but if he is blocking like they say he is and he can get those tough yards I think it will be time for a Redman nick name.
Funkdoctor is my nomination. .

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Moore or Redman???

both...

cruzer8
08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Although the defense played poorly, certainly not up to Steeler stds., at times last year, especially after the loss of Troy and Aaron, they did rank 5th in yards allowed and, more pertinently, 3rd in rushing defense. Both Troy and Aaron were in the GL drills that Redman dominated. As to playing the same defense all the time, how many options are there on the gl, especially when you know it's a run???

If you know which way the line is slanting, which way the backers are stunting and what areas the DBs are covering it's worlds easier than having to adjust on the fly.

Why do you think the Patriots filmed defensive signals?

ikestops85
08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

If you know which way the line is slanting, which way the backers are stunting and what areas the DBs are covering it's worlds easier than having to adjust on the fly.

I understand what you are saying Cruzer but the thing is he still scored. Mendy was bad at it, Summers was bad at it, and Moore was bad at it. The defense also knew it was a running play and it wasn't to the outside. I think Clark was in Redman's face because the defense was embarrassed.

Regardless of all that I don't think anyone is calling Redman a superstar yet. I just think he has earned his chance to play against better talent and see how he does. He has certainly done more than Summers or Dwyer has. I really don't see why some are so negative about the guy when he has done such good things to date.

Running back are not always easy to evaluate. I was watching the NFL Network over the weekend and they were telling the story about a 6th rounder who was probably going to be cut going into the last pre-season game. During the game he was on the kick off coverage team and he went down field and leveled a returner at the fifteen yard line. That tackle was the reason he went on to make the team. His name was Terrell Davis. You just never know.

Stewie
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
From another post on this board: As I was saying!!!
10. RB Issac Redman given award by Mike Tomlin for being tops in RBs vs. LBs drill Sunday... "Red" says he got his highlights played in tm mtg about 3 hours ago via web

Stewie
08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
From Vrabinec's account at Steelers Fever:

Redman looked solid blocking and he surprised me a bit running the ball. I expected him to beef up for the role of the short yardage dive, but I think he actually lost a few pounds and he looks quicker. I think he's cutting better, and his blocking technique is far better than last year. I think he's bucking to steal the backup role from Moore, and he looks like he has a shot at it.

DO NOT CUT THIS MAN!!!!!!

cruzer8
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM

I understand what you are saying Cruzer but the thing is he still scored. Mendy was bad at it, Summers was bad at it, and Moore was bad at it. The defense also knew it was a running play and it wasn't to the outside. I think Clark was in Redman's face because the defense was embarrassed.

Regardless of all that I don't think anyone is calling Redman a superstar yet. I just think he has earned his chance to play against better talent and see how he does. He has certainly done more than Summers or Dwyer has. I really don't see why some are so negative about the guy when he has done such good things to date.

Running back are not always easy to evaluate. I was watching the NFL Network over the weekend and they were telling the story about a 6th rounder who was probably going to be cut going into the last pre-season game. During the game he was on the kick off coverage team and he went down field and leveled a returner at the fifteen yard line. That tackle was the reason he went on to make the team. His name was Terrell Davis. You just never know.

I'm not being negative. If Redman is successful then the Steelers should be successful. I'm only making all of the facts known.