PDA

View Full Version : Something old, new on Day 2

fordfixer
08-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Something old, new on Day 2

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 87464618ff (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Something-old-new-on-Day-2/c009f39d-9743-4c33-b4e5-d287464618ff)

LATROBE, Pa. – There was something old and something new during the Steelers lone practice on Day 2 of their training camp here.

What would qualify as old – or at least familiar – was Ben Roethlisberger throwing a 16-yard touchdown pass to Heath Miller on a third-and-10 with 13 seconds remaining in the period devoted to the two-minute drill.

The new was provided by rookie outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, the No. 4 pick from Ohio State, who posted a 6-1 record in the backs-on-backers drill. Gibson was matched against Rashard Mendenhall twice, David Johnson, Mewelde Moore, Frank Summers, Sean McHugh and Isaac Redman. It appeared as though Redman was the only back to control Gibson.

“I saw some guys win some, and I saw some guys lose some,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I saw some guys who need to grow technically, and that’s usually the case early in training camp when you’re talking about a drill like that. It’s never lacking for enthusiasm or physicality, but it’s usually lacking from a technique standpoint. We use that energy and enthusiasm as a teaching tool, and we teach those guys what a friend technique can be to them. Hopefully we’ll see more quality technique the next time we do that drill.”

Tomlin admitted the backs-on-backers drill favors the defense, because the linebackers get a running start at a back who then is asked to stop the charge and prevent the defender from getting to the quarterback. But even with that, and even though Tomlin is always reluctant to lavish praise on rookies this early in the process, Gibson’s showing in the drill stood out.

“If you’re a linebacker and you’re shy you usually have a problem,” said Tomlin. “I don’t think (Gibson) has that problem.”

The special category for Sunday’s afternoon practice was the two-minute drill, and Tomlin explained what he was looking for during that session. “What we’re looking for is to work on the situation. To work the ball down the field and hope to get a couple of critical situations where someone has to make a play at the end. We got that with the first group. The second group, we never really got it going offensively, so I didn’t get what I was looking for. But so be it. There will be plenty of opportunities as we move forward to grow in those areas.”

Roethlisberger quarterbacked the first-team offense, and he converted one of the situations by escaping pressure, running to his left and completing a pass to Hines Ward in the middle of the field for a first down. Then of course there was the touchdown pass to Miller.

With Byron Leftwich working with the second-team offense, he converted a third-and-1 with a pass to Matt Spaeth, but that was followed by four incompletions. Larry Foote broke up one of those attempts and rookie Antonio Brown dropped another that hit him right in the chest. On fourth down, Leftwich missed connecting with rookie Emmanuel Sanders cutting across the middle.

“A great day two for us,” said Tomlin when it was over. “We’re just continuing with getting started with this training camp. I liked the energy and enthusiasm from the guys and expect it to continue as we get comfortable with our surroundings.”

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “Casey Hampton continues to be day-to-day with his hamstring, Jonathan Dwyer has a mild hamstring, as does Maurkice Pouncey. Chris Scott has a foot injury where he’ll be out for an extended period of time. Andre Frazier is still day-to-day with his knee. And Ramon Foster missed practice with a concussion he sustained yesterday. He performed well in all the testing today, and we’ll continue to monitor him and maybe give him some physical exertion tomorrow that’s not necessarily football-oriented and go from there. The natural wear-and-tear that’s associated with training camp at this juncture – we’ll adjust and hopefully we’ll get those guys back quickly as we continue with this process.”

steelblitz
08-02-2010, 01:56 AM
While the word on Worilds has been less than exciting, it seems Gibson is showing something.

That's the type of $hit Wood showed early on. Power.

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
While the word on Worilds has been less than exciting, it seems Gibson is showing something.

Let's give Worilds more than 2 days before we get overly concerned about him being a bust. He is a different type of player than Gibson. Worilds is a pseed and technique guy so it is going to take him longer to adjust to going gainst Pros versus jus being a kamikaze and blowing up RBs with a bullrush. Don't forget that Gibson played in a similar defense while Worild is making a position transition from a down lineman to stad up OLB.

All I want to see from Worilds this season is exceptional special teams play.

papillon
08-02-2010, 09:00 AM

Let's give Worilds more than 2 days before we get overly concerned about him being a bust. He is a different type of player than Gibson. Worilds is a pseed and technique guy so it is going to take him longer to adjust to going gainst Pros versus jus being a kamikaze and blowing up RBs with a bullrush. Don't forget that Gibson played in a similar defense while Worild is making a position transition from a down lineman to stad up OLB.

All I want to see from Worilds this season is exceptional special teams play.[/quote]

That would be a welcomed sight; I'd like to get the same form Gibson and turn the special teams into a plus, rather than a liability.

Pappy

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Flozell Adams fits the "something old" AND "something new".

We signed him as a FA to a short term deal so he's also "something borrowed" and he used to play for the Cowboys so he is also "something blue".

:lol:

papillon
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM

We signed him as a FA to a short term deal so he's also "something borrowed" and he used to play for the Cowboys so he is also "something blue".

Are you calling a guy that is 6' 8" tall and weighs in excess of 330 pounds a bride?

Pappy

phillyesq
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Seems like Gibson turned the heads of a lot of media types during the drill - here is another article. I'm glad to hear the glowing reports on him early. I'm not worried about Worilds at all, as it has only been 2 days of camp.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/08/gibson-shines-in-backs-on-backers.html#links

Gibson shines in backs on backers
Thaddeus Gibson, a fifth-round pick out of Ohio State, is quickly becoming the camp sensation.

Gibson was nearly unblockable in the backs on backers drill, beating six opponents, losing only to Isaac Redman. He shows a lot of explosiveness.

Redman, meanwhile, was one of the offensive stars along with Tank Summers in the drill.

The drill is slanted severely toward the defense, so any offensive wins are of note.

© Maurkice Pouncey, Ryan Clark, Ramon Foster, Casey Hampton and Jonathan Dwyer were among those who did not practice today.

More on that later.

Interestingly, in the comments, Lolley also suggests that Dwyer, Redman, Summers Moore and Mendenhall make the team at RB, with Logan not making the squad.

steelblitz
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Let's give Worilds more than 2 days before we get overly concerned about him being a bust.Bust never crossed my mind.

All I want to see from Worilds this season is exceptional special teams play.You'd think with the pedigree of the guys added in the offseason that STs will be greatly improved. You're exactly right though. Worilds and Gibson specifically MUST play well on STs if they plan on sniffing any reps on D.

Jooser
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
LOL, anyone remember Bustamalu? How'd that turn out?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Why listen to someone else. Video of RBs on LBs. Two things that kept Reman on the PS was showing his blocking ability and playing ST. It is early, but I say you can move on to how he plays ST. He might make it very difficult to not put him on the 53. Just realize that these are kids coming into a profession as a rookie. A physical, confidence eating, "earn it" from your teammates business that requires alot of absorbing of knowledge. Tunch always says the term "paralysis by analysis". It is so true that phrase. In this game, when you know what you are doing and you are confident in what you know....Instincts & talent can finally come to the front. Year 2 is the year for big steps. Sounds like some, Hood especially, are making those steps.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 7a78add794 (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Backs-on-Backers-Drill---August-1/f7824963-2c9b-4f86-bd82-307a78add794)

By the way...WOW on Timmons.

ANPSTEEL
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Why listen to someone else. Video of RBs on LBs. Two things that kept Reman on the PS was showing his blocking ability and playing ST. It is early, but I say you can move on to how he plays ST. He might make it very difficult to not put him on the 53. Just realize that these are kids coming into a profession as a rookie. A physical, confidence eating, "earn it" from your teammates business that requires alot of absorbing of knowledge. Tunch always says the term "paralysis by analysis". It is so true that phrase. In this game, when you know what you are doing and you are confident in what you know....Instincts & talent can finally come to the front. Year 2 is the year for big steps. Sounds like some, Hood especially, are making those steps.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 7a78add794 (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Backs-on-Backers-Drill---August-1/f7824963-2c9b-4f86-bd82-307a78add794)

Thanks for the link JPN-

on a side- Sylvester is wearing #47.

that has to suck.
Here- you get a number that there is absolutely no way in hell you're ever going to actually wear- but we don't think you're going to make the team anyway.

so- no big.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the link JPN-

on a side- Sylvester is wearing #47.

that has to suck.
Here- you get a number that there is absolutely no way in hell you're ever going to actually wear- but we don't think you're going to make the team anyway.

so- no big.

Hopefully we get to see Sylvester lay out some "Blount" Force Trauma while wearing the ol' 47.

papillon
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something from that video, but in a drill set up to favor the linebacker the running backs did an admirable job of keeping the rusher off the quarterback. Except Woodley getting horse collared and Harrison beating Summers (I think) and then slipping and the one Gibson win the backs held up good. In a game if our running backs engage a linebacker like that, it should give Ben, Lefty, Dixon or Batch the time they need to deliver a pass.

I was expecting to see running backs getting completely trucked or whiff, there wasn't any of that.

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I was expecting to see running backs getting completely trucked or whiff, there wasn't any of that.

Pappy

Yeah, the way the media made it out- that was what I was expecting as well.

Seemingly, much of the media reports are some of the most hyperbolic pieces of bs- you could ever ask to read...

I recall one time being at a seahawk game- the king dome was about half full, and the place was dead... no one was making any noise - (in the concrete dome- the silence could be overwhelming)... it was a snoozer...

Anyway- the evening news report expressed how flipping crazed the fans were, and how loud it was in the stadium. ???? :wft

A lot of it is just made up bs - to sell advertising.

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Timmons will be a beast this season.

grotonsteel
08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Who is No.48 ???

He was on the ground most of the time.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Who is No.48 ???

He was on the ground most of the time.

Renauld Williams, a 5th year LB from Hofstra (6' 228 lbs.). We brought him in from the CFL this offseason. He has previous NFL experience with the Niners and Dolphins.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Are you calling a guy that is 6' 8" tall and weighs in excess of 330 pounds a bride?

Pappy

I have tended bar at more than enough WI weddings to render that offering. :D

At the last wedding I worked the bride was so big that when she got up to dance the band skipped! :shock: