PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Adams' transition could pay off

fordfixer
08-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Harris: Adams' transition could pay off
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 2, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 93024.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693024.html)

Flozell Adams is nicknamed "Hotel" because of his gargantuan stature in a sport where size 3XL is the norm.

Memo to Steelers public-relations staff: If fellow tackle Max Starks is listed at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, there's no possible way Adams can be 6-7, 338. He's at least as tall as Starks and possibly taller.

If Adams is who the Steelers hope that he is and he will have to transition from left tackle to right tackle you may want to crown coach Mike Tomlin for a job well done.

It's not every day the Steelers take a chance on a discarded player who happens to be 35 years old and whose original team gave up on him because they felt he had nothing left in his tank and carried too large of a price tag.

Adams signed a two-year, non-guaranteed contract with the Steelers because his bank account is secure, but his finger itches for a Super Bowl ring.

"I want to win a championship that's why I'm here," said Adams, who was due to earn $7.5 million this season until the Dallas Cowboys released him in April.

That's the same amount Adams will earn if he fulfills his two-year commitment with the Steelers.

Adams was a model of consistency in Dallas. He started 173 of 177 games with the Cowboys, but he missed last year's playoff game against Minnesota because of a calf injury. Despite the importance of the left tackle position and Adams' lengthy tenure with the organization, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones released him in April.

Time will tell if the Steelers owe Jones a favor.

"It is exciting to acquire a guy of his stature," Tomlin said. "But more important than his resume, the visits and talks (we) had over the past several weeks, he's a guy that wants to be here."

How much do the Steelers need Adams, a five-time Pro Bowler whose best days are behind him according to the NFL calendar?

Badly.

Did we mention that Adams hasn't played right tackle since his rookie season in 1998?

"It's an adjustment, something you have to work on," said Adams, who caught himself thinking like a left tackle on the first day of camp. "It's like writing with your right hand and trying to switch over and write with your left. It's difficult, but if you practice enough, it'll come along."

It's a gamble Tomlin hopes doesn't backfire.

"I'm not going to assume it is, and I'm not going to assume it isn't," Tomlin said when asked if moving from left tackle to right tackle is a tough adjustment for Adams. "Over the next several days to weeks, we'll provide information in that regard, and then we'll adjust accordingly if need be."

Offering Adams a two-year deal with the promise of starting smacks of desperation for the Steelers, who aren't too proud to admit Willie Colon's season-ending Achilles injury leaves them needy at right tackle.

Above all else, the Steelers believe they have nothing to lose.

"This is a guy that's made some money in this league and received every personal accolade you can get, and the fire still burns," Tomlin said. "He wants to be part of a world champion. He's committed to fitting in. Those are his words, not mine."

In Adams' own words, joining the Steelers is a blessing so late in his career.

"It's no secret I have made money," said Adams, who signed a contract extension in 2008 that included $15 million guaranteed. "I talked with coach Tomlin before I came here and told him I want to contribute, play where I can.

"I liked what I saw here. I've always admired the Steelers. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to (help) this o-line and and this team and be able to bring another championship."

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
If Adams can stay healthy, he will be a great acquisition.

phillyesq
08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
If Adams can stay healthy, he will be a great acquisition.

Agreed. It seems like a lot of teams have success grabbing premier tackles later in their career. I'm thinking of a guy like William Roaf, who the Saints thought was over the hill, and then went on to have a lot of success with the Chiefs.

At this stage in his career, I think Adams can still be a huge asset in the running game.

pfelix73
08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
He will do fine at RT. There's not that much difference. In fact, he should have it a bit easier over there. Just stay out of the false starts- i.e. Colon.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 01:37 PM
He will do fine at RT. There's not that much difference. In fact, he should have it a bit easier over there. Just stay out of the false starts- i.e. Colon.

Over the last four years, Flozell had 29 false starts. That's...ummm...not good.

ramblinjim
08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
As an old guy, it's good to see some of these guys still playing well after they get into their 30's. Here's hoping Holiday Inn can do a great job at RT for us this year.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Over the last four years, Flozell had 29 false starts. That's...ummm...not good.

Comparatively speaking, how many has Colon had?

JPbucco
08-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Maybe the fact that he is deaf in his right ear contributed to all his penalties.

Hopefully playing the right side will alleviate that somewhat.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 10:09 PM

well, Flozell does have some big shoes to fill in that regard...sounds like he'll make us forget about Willie Colon rather quickly. :D

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Comparatively speaking, how many has Colon had?

Haven't been able to find false start stats for Colon any earlier than last season (when he had 4 false start flags called against him, and 2 holding penalties in the 2009 season).

costanza2k1
08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
His false starts may be a result of his decline. Hopefully that won't be an issue on the right side where he has TE help and no worries of covering the blind side.