View Full Version : Rampaging Ziggy Hood can't be denied

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Rampaging Hood can't be denied

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Aug 1, 2010

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/83/831360.jpg

Ziggy Hood can't be denied by a coaching staff that's even giving their rampaging defensive end some time at nose tackle in order to get him on the field.

LATROBE – There’s a new YouTube video of a woman at Yellowstone National Park moving into close range to snap a picture of a bison. A stick flies through the air and smacks the bison in the butt, sending the bison into a rampaging fury after the poor woman. That bison looked like Ziggy Hood on the first day of training camp.

“What a difference a year makes!” Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin exclaimed after Hood stampeded first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey.

Pouncey wasn’t alone. A variety of Steelers offensive linemen felt Ziggy’s wrath, as last year’s No. 1 pick showed he’s ready to live up to his enormous potential as a Steelers’ 3-4 end.

“I’m a lot better,” Hood said when asked to compare this year to his rookie year. “I’m going out trying to get better instead of worrying about who’s looking at me or what I’ve got to do to look good on tape. I’m just more relaxed and going out there and playing football.”

Hood looked far from relaxed Saturday as he used his long arms and quick feet to tear up his one-on-one opponents. But can too much be made of an individual drill?

“No, because that’s the way he practices,” said line coach John Mitchell. “And he’s improving daily. That’s the thing I like about Ziggy Hood: He’s never satisfied with the day he had. He’s going to come in today wanting to be better than he was yesterday.”

Mitchell said that Hood played as well during the team scrimmages as he did in the one-on-ones, but of course the Steelers’ scheme doesn’t really allow for a defensive end to knock his man to the ground and step on his face. Too bad.

“I got them off balance once or twice,” the ever-humble Hood explained. “It happens to everybody. I’m pretty sure they’re going to get me somewhere down the line, maybe today. I’m just happy that all the work seems to be paying off.”

Hood has developed a reputation throughout the organization as a maniac in the weight room, a workout warrior striving to reach an elite class with the likes of James Harrison.

“I don’t know about that,” Hood said. “But it’s just a habit for me: When I work, I work.”

Hood spent the offseason living in the Steelers’ weight room. Each day he warmed up with a cardio exercise for 30 minutes, then lifted for two hours, and then performed football-type drills. With the start of camp, he remains a daily visitor, but will lighten his weight loads to save energy for practice. He hasn’t gained any weight, but has lowered his body fat to 21 percent.

“There’s still room to get lower than that,” the 300-pounder said.

Some in the organization worry that Hood might overtrain, that he needs to take more time off. But Hood said he knows his body too well. Mitchell just laughed at the idea.

“Young guys can’t overtrain,” Mitchell said. Hood, of course, is stuck somewhere on the Steelers’ bench behind Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. So Mitchell’s given him a few reps at nose tackle because “the more you can do; you never know how injuries are going to unfold.”

And like a hitter who batters the outfield wall every time up, coaches will find a way to get a rampaging bison on the field.

“Definitely,” Mitchell said. “I’ve got six guys who can play and we’re going to rotate guys. That’s what I told them yesterday. We’re going to rotate guys and we’re going to have our first wave and then we’re going to bring our second wave in and then we’re going to bring the first wave back and we’re just going to storm the beach with those six guys. We’re coming after those guys.

“They’re going to play. We’re not going to let any good football player sit the bench.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/988161.html

Steelers>NFL
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Let's get "Ziggy wit it"...
This is excting news. Can not wait to see him play this season.

Jooser
08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Awesome stuff, I honestly think he can take Keisel's job this season some time if he keeps this up.

BDESteel
08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Awesome stuff, I honestly think he can take Keisel's job this season some time if he keeps this up.

I was thinking the same thing. Keisel has two left feet and should easily get bypassed.

As for Aaron Smith and Big Snack, he shouldn't see real playing time unless someone gets hurt. which is what the coach said.

Jooser
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz32/sniper_051/GIF/EXPLOSION.gif

Bang Bang Zig!

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Keisel has two left feet and should easily get bypassed.

As for Aaron Smith and Big Snack, he shouldn't see real playing time unless someone gets hurt. which is what the coach said.

Kiesel is one of the most underrated players on this team. He is a solid 3-4 DE and he usually is a team leader for QB pressures every year.

Hood will play for Smith alot because they need to keep Smith fresh because of his age and recent issues with injuries.

Kiesel is alot like Deshea Townsend. No one appreciates the job he does but he does about everything right.

Snatch98
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Kiesel is one of the most underrated players on this team. He is a solid 3-4 DE and he usually is a team leader for QB pressures every year.

Hood will play for Smith alot because they need to keep Smith fresh because of his age and recent issues with injuries.

Kiesel is alot like Deshea Townsend. No one appreciates the job he does but he does about everything right.

Totally agree and I'm glad someone said it. Keisel is a tank and has been for a while he just doesn't rack up the really flashy stats so people assume he's irrelevant. Ziggy will battle for some split time/breathers for Smith and Keisel. He'll really have to do something to move in to the lineup more regularly.

Iron Shiek
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Our D is gonna be nasty!

I will put that in the regular season prediction thread as well!

phillyesq
08-02-2010, 12:57 PM

I like Kiesel and think he is a fine starter. I also think he was perhaps most effective when he played in a reserve role. If Ziggy can be rotated in to keep everybody fresh, it will benefit Smith and Kiesel.

I'd like to see Ziggy get some time on third down this year as well. I think he could be a real asset as an inside rushing compliment to Woodley, Harrison, et. al.

cruzer8
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM

+1

papillon
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM

I like Kiesel and think he is a fine starter. I also think he was perhaps most effective when he played in a reserve role. If Ziggy can be rotated in to keep everybody fresh, it will benefit Smith and Kiesel.

I'd like to see Ziggy get some time on third down this year as well. I think he could be a real asset as an inside rushing compliment to Woodley, Harrison, et. al.

It's only a matter of time, age and physical wear and tear take their toll. Brett Kiesel will always be fondly remembered by SteelerNation for the time and effort he gave to the team. It is looking like Hood may be demanding more playing time based on his performance in camp thus far.

Kiesel is solid (probably better than solid), but Hood will be able to make more game changing plays, IMO by the end of the year.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
When Mitchell says “I’ve got six guys who can play and we’re going to rotate guys. That’s what I told them yesterday. We’re going to rotate guys and we’re going to have our first wave and then we’re going to bring our second wave in and then we’re going to bring the first wave back and we’re just going to storm the beach with those six guys. We’re coming after those guys" I'm assuming that he means Smith, Hampton, Keisel on the first wave and Hood, Hoke, Eason on the second wave. Although Eason has made tremendous strides since his pitiful first season here, I'm hoping that Harris or Worthington can come in and impress right away, overtaking Eason.

I also agree with the previous posters about Keisel's worth. Ziggy was not drafted to replace Keisel. He was drafted to be age/injury insurance for Aaron Smith. Ziggy and Aaron splitting time can keep them both fresh and maximally effective.

ramblinjim
08-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I'll pile on here. I'd love to see a formidable six man rotation on Dline going out and killing guys all game long. Here's hoping to excellent health for our guys this year.

As far as Eason vs. Worthington vs. Harris. I'd love for one of the young guys to really step it up this year (I think Eason's 30 IIRC) but Eason played well for us last year so won't complain either way.

The nice think about Worthington over Harris is he knows how to play 3/4 DE and did so in college.

BDESteel
08-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Kiesel is alot like Deshea Townsend. No one appreciates the job he does but he does about everything right. Keisel's a great back up, but we didn't draft Hood #1 to be a back up. He's on the team to make a difference as a starter, a game changer.

Keisel doesn't do much other than engage the man in front of him, then turn it into a pushing match. I'd like to see some swim moves or spinning ala Dwight Freeney.

Snatch98
08-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Kiesel is alot like Deshea Townsend. No one appreciates the job he does but he does about everything right. Keisel's a great back up, but we didn't draft Hood #1 to be a back up. He's on the team to make a difference as a starter, a game changer.

Keisel doesn't do much other than engage the man in front of him, then turn it into a pushing match. I'd like to see some swim moves or spinning ala Dwight Freeney.

You can't compare Keisel or Smith for that matter to Dwight Freeney because as defensive ends they are asked to do completely different things. Freeney is supposed to rush the QB because in their defense the pressure is supposed to come from the ends. Where as with the 3-4 the pressure is designed to come from the LB's. I'm sure if you watched game tape you won't see Aaron Smith throwing a series of swim moves at the tackle or guard. Keisel is fine but Hood will certainly push for playing time.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM

He isn't a pass rusher. He does a great job holding the point of attack and sliding off the blocker to fill. He had 54 tackles and 3 sacks last season. In 2008 Smitty had 61 and 5.5. Smitty is considered one of the best at his position and Keisel's not all that far off from a #'s standpoint. Not that numbers ever tell the whole story.

At any rate, Keisel does exactly what the D asks him to do and he does it well. Ziggy is Smith's eventual replacement.