PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolley Reports Day II

SteelHoss
08-01-2010, 08:00 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ckers.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/08/gibson-shines-in-backs-on-backers.html)

NFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, August 01, 2010
Gibson shines in backs on backers
Thaddeus Gibson, a fifth-round pick out of Ohio State, is quickly becoming the camp sensation.

Gibson was nearly unblockable in the backs on backers drill, beating six opponents, losing only to Isaac Redman. He shows a lot of explosiveness.

Redman, meanwhile, was one of the offensive stars along with Tank Summers in the drill.

The drill is slanted severely toward the defense, so any offensive wins are of note.

Maurkice Pouncey, Ryan Clark, Ramon Foster, Casey Hampton and Jonathan Dwyer were among those who did not practice today.

More on that later.
posted by Dale Lolley at 4:20 PM

It appears Gibson is adapting quickly! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jj28west
08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for this report. I am starving for any news bite, damn I am even licking the plate clean. Please keep them coming!

grotonsteel
08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks a lot for the report....keep them coming..

Gibson..........make OSU proud. :tt2

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Wow.. Isaac Redman holding his ground is impressive as well. I have a feeling Gibson is going to make the Vtech LB look like a reach.

SteelHoss
08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow.. Isaac Redman holding his ground is impressive as well. I have a feeling Gibson is going to make the Vtech LB look like a reach.

From yesterday's report and today's I would have to agree with you; however, there's still a ways to go. Nice little tidbit about Redman too. Apparently, he can block! :Clap :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Isaac Redman is my Nostradamus pick to be the preseason RB star, glad to see he's off to a good start! :tt2

Shawn
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
If Gibson turns out to be a beast I'll gladly eat crow. Even though the guy is a freak athlete he hated contact. This is very good news to hear.

Slapstick
08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not surprised with Gibson's progress...the "Leo" position in the Buckeyes' defense isn't far removed from a 3-4 OLB in many assignments...

Woirlds will take some time...I do hope he adapts better than Nathaniel Adibi did...that's the last VT DE I can recall whom the Steelers took with the intention of converting to OLB...

Shawn
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm not surprised with Gibson's progress...the "Leo" position in the Buckeyes' defense isn't far removed from a 3-4 OLB in many assignments...

Woirlds will take some time...I do hope he adapts better than Nathaniel Adibi did...that's the last VT DE I can recall whom the Steelers took with the intention of converting to OLB...

Yeah but Adibi was a 5th rounder. I expect bigger things from Worilds.

Oviedo
08-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Yeah but Adibi was a 5th rounder. I expect bigger things from Worilds.

From Laird's blog

In the camp's first 'backs on backers' drill Sunday (pitting on-rushing linebackers against stationary running backs looking to protect a dummy QB) the rookie OLBs looked impressive. Jason Worilds did so well, at one point Tomlin exclaimed, "Does anyone want to block #97?" Thaddeus Gibson also impressed, swimming past Rashard Mendenhall on one rep, then easily passing David Johnson on another. Later, Gibson pulled out slick inside speed moves to fool Mendenhall (again) and Frank Summers. One man did get the better of Gibson: Issac Redman. "Red," as he was called by Tomlin, locked up Thaddeus and dumped him to the ground in a heated exchange. Redman also was one of the few to hold off Worilds.

I guess that it depends on who is looking but Laird says very good things about Worilds. The reality is like Timmons Worilds will probably never do enough to be given any credit by those who would not have picked them in their meaningless mock drafts.

aggiebones
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Two interesting tidbits if you were caught in the old Redman/Dwyer debate. Personally I don't care who it is though I have sided with Redman in a few debates and was loud about wanting him to get a look last season early on.

"Redman, meanwhile, was one of the offensive stars along with Tank Summers in the drill.

....and Jonathan Dwyer were among those who did not practice today."