PDA

View Full Version : Why did we not trade up for Saffold?

StarSpangledSteeler
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Saffold vs. Smith at LT
7:39
AM ET
Jason Smith | Rams TopEmail

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote that last year's No. 2 overall pick, Jason Smith, could be at risk of losing the starting left tackle job to Rodger Saffold, the team's second-round pick in this year's draft.

"As of Thursday, it became clear that the left tackle position was up for grabs between last year's No. 2 overall pick, Jason Smith, and this year's second-round pick, Rodger Saffold," Thomas wrote. "The coaching staff likes Saffold's athleticism as a pass blocker, and Smith isn't even practicing fully as he comes back from a June fractured toe."

One would imagine that Smith still has the inside track on the position, given his one extra year of experience and the fact that the team has made a much bigger investment in him. However, if Saffold significantly outperforms him in the lead-up to the season, the team might have to shift Smith to the right tackle spot and go with Saffold as the protector of Sam Bradford's blindside.

- Jeff Dooley

StarSpangledSteeler
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
This is the one problem I have with Colbert. He seems to have trouble evaluating talent at the tackle position. When you see gems like Saffold (or Marcus McNeil a few years ago) begin to slip, you need to make a move and go get him. We had so many picks this year. Just make it happen.

papillon
08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
The Steelers rarely move up in the draft and draft for need. They draft the BPA for the most part and it's been successful for many years. When the Steelers do move up in the draft they are looking at a sure thing (Troy Polamalu). The Steelers don't like to give draft choices for position in the draft.

Just what I've watched for many years.

Pappy

grotonsteel
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I would wait till i see Saffold perform in a NFL game.

I was not happy with Steelers taking 3 linebackers in this draft. One of them is going to get cut or be on a PS. Lets hope all 3 make the squad.

phillyesq
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
This is the one problem I have with Colbert. He seems to have trouble evaluating talent at the tackle position. When you see gems like Saffold (or Marcus McNeil a few years ago) begin to slip, you need to make a move and go get him. We had so many picks this year. Just make it happen.

It's a bit premature to declare Saffold a "gem." It is the first day of camp - everybody is full of optimism. Lets wait until he plays a game or two first.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Of course St. Louis feels they have a "gem" they drafted him.

Oviedo
08-01-2010, 02:33 PM

And we have seen how well the Rams have evaluated talent the last 5 years. Adam Carricker anyone?

Getting drafted by the Rams is almost like validating why you shouldn't select a player.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-01-2010, 02:38 PM
We'll keep an eye on him, but i'm on record saying we should've traded up for Saffold this year and Oher last year. Meanwhile, i hope you're all happy with Starks and Adams.

BURGH86STEEL
08-01-2010, 02:42 PM

How do you know they did not attempt to move up in the draft to get a particular player? They've shown that they will move up or down in the draft for a player.

What if the organization felt the cost of moving up was to great? What if teams did not want to trade?

It could be they did not feel a player was a good fit for what they were trying to accomplish. We don't always know what the organization was/is thinking when they make moves. There are times the moves are clear.

Complaining about what you felt the organization should had done without knowing all the facts is not right. It would be better to say something like, I wish we could had traded up to get __________.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM

How do you know they did not attempt to move up in the draft to get a particular player? They've shown that they will move up or down in the draft for a player.

What if the organization felt the cost of moving up was to great? What if teams did not want to trade?

It could be they did not feel a player was a good fit for what they were trying to accomplish. We don't always know what the organization was/is thinking when they make moves. There are times the moves are clear.

Complaining about what you felt the organization should had done without knowing all the facts is not right. It would be better to say something like, I wish we could had traded up to get __________.

I hear what you're saying, and if it was only this one year then i might agree. But at some point you have to take responsibility for your long term plans/roster. Year after year after year goes by and Colbert refuses to draft a franchise tackle. The fact is, Colbert does not value the tackle position in the draft. How quickly we forget the years of franchising Starks at top 5 money because we have no other options. And now we go out and get Adams because he doesn't draft Bulaga. I'm just tired of people refusing to see that this is a major problem.

phillyesq
08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

I hear what you're saying, and if it was only this one year then i might agree. But at some point you have to take responsibility for your long term plans/roster. Year after year after year goes by and Colbert refuses to draft a franchise tackle. The fact is, Colbert does not value the tackle position in the draft. How quickly we forget the years of franchising Starks at top 5 money because we have no other options. And now we go out and get Adams because he doesn't draft Bulaga. I'm just tired of people refusing to see that this is a major problem.

To get a premium tackle, you need to draft in the top 10 or 15. Recently, there have only been three seasons where the Steelers picked in that range. One year, they selected Big Ben over Shawn Andrews. No debate that they made the right call. The year Timmons was drafted, there were no premium tackles available. This year, the Steelers obviously didn't feel that Bulaga was a premium OT (nor did many teams for that matter).

You can say that the Steelers should have traded up for an OT this year, or that they should have traded up for Oher or whoever else. Bottom line, there were questions about Oher, questions about Bulaga, and questions about others. The Colts traded a future first to move up and grab Tony Ugoh a few years ago, and that clearly looks like a mistake.

If Colon didn't get hurt, and the Steelers drafted Bulaga, I'm sure that many would be complaining right now about going into training camp with Hartwig and Essex, and no solution behind them.

BURGH86STEEL
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Again, how many franchise tackles did they have a realistic opportunity to draft over the past several seasons?

The fact is, they've drafted and brought in tackles. They picked up UDFA tackles. They resigned Starks and brought in Jones & Adams to try and compensate for the loss of Colon. They must value the tackle position on some level.

Starks has played well at LT. I don't understand your complaint with Starks. Franchise tackles are not easy to find. Thinking about it, how many franchise tackles have the Steelers had over the past 15 to 20 years? They had some good players but not franchise caliber.

I guess the organization felt C was a priority over RT. They probably felt Bulaga did not fit their immediate plans. Could be they felt Pouncey was the better player. No guarantee that Bulaga starts from day one for the Packers. In any event, what's done is done.

I think we all agree the organization can do a better job with the Olinemen. I don't feel anything is a major problem. That's because they won games and had some success. Improvement is the goal.

Don't forget the team loss the foundation (Smith, Faneca, and Hartings) of the Oline from 2006 to 2008. Those caliber of players are not easily replaced. They brought in a new Oline coach to help improve the Oline this season. Only time will tell if their moves were good enough to improve the Olines play. Other players can aid in the Olines improvement by doing their jobs better.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM

I think it should be a given that this is clearly SSS's wish or opinion about the FO.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 04:15 PM
we would have had to give up our 2nd and 3rd round draft choices in order to move up for Saffold, which means we would have not been able to draft Jason Worilds or Emmanuel Sanders.

i would rather have Worilds and Sanders...

Eddie Spaghetti
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
i can see both sides here.

i was upset last year when oher fell within pretty easy striking distance. i know he had some concerns coming out, but he had faced great pass rushers in the SEC and had/has a great upside. only made it worse when the rats got him.

BURGH86STEEL
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM

I think it should be a given that this is clearly SSS's wish or opinion about the FO.

Possibly. Pointing all the blame at one person without looking at the overall situation is what's difficult to understand. Understandably, he wants a franchise tackle (I'd like the Steelers to have the Dallas Cowboy Oline from the 90's). If there were no franchise tackles available, what did he expect the Steelers to do?

decleater
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I would wait till i see Saffold perform in a NFL game.

I was not happy with Steelers taking 3 linebackers in this draft. One of them is going to get cut or be on a PS. Lets hope all 3 make the squad.
Exactly! And, the reason the Steelers did not trade up to get Saffold is this -- they didn't...and I trust the FO's decision no to. However, I am happy with the Steeler's defensive selections. Defense wins championships and it's a long season of hard knocks for an aggressive D.

Mel Blount's G
08-01-2010, 09:39 PM
And hey, though we didn't address the Tackle position, at least we did address the OL with our first pick, which for me shows the FO addressed the overall need in front of Ben (or whoever is taking snaps). We had a top notch run game for decades led by All-World centers and guards and lets collectively hope Pouncey is one or both. I have high hopes for him and Urbik and it would be a beautiful thing to see them blowing open holes in the interior for 'Hard 'Haul. :tt2

steelblitz
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Sebastian Vollmer

Coulda, shoulda.......could have traded down and probably have gotten both Hood and Vollmer....

They've done a poor job as a team evaluating O-line. Hopefully Kruger helps in that regard.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Sebastian Vollmer

Coulda, shoulda.......could have traded down and probably have gotten both Hood and Vollmer....

They've done a poor job as a team evaluating O-line. Hopefully Kruger helps in that regard.

True. Not only evaluating the draft prospects but evaluating their own players.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we consistently drafted in the same position as St. Louis and didn't have to worry about trading up? :roll:

Lonbull
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM

And what's funny is that "Of course some Steeler fans think he's a "gem" because we didn't draft him...."

ikestops85
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
We addressed the weakest position on the O-line with the 1st round pick. We have Starks who I think has played pretty well at LT and Colon who some think is the best player on our line at RT (I don't agree about Colon). I think Colbert and staff have done a great job overall in providing this team with quality players over the years.

I am sure Colbert wishes he could address all the problem areas at once and field a team of all pros but that isn't possible in these salary cap days.