PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract

fordfixer
08-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract
Sunday, August 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm

Jeff Reed will have to wait at least another year before possibly signing a long-term contract that would keep him with the Steelers until his career is over. And he is not happy about it.

Reed, who will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 after signing a one-year franchise tender, said he is "extremely" disappointed that the Steelers did not sign him to a longer contract before the start of training camp.

What's more, he believes he was misled by unspecified members of the organization about their intention of wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal.

"I'm not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened," Reed said Saturday after practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying."

Reed, who converted 87 percent of his field-goal attempts in 2009 (27 for 31) and 83.3 percent in his eight-year career, said he was told by team president Art Rooney II on Friday that the Steelers would not be able to complete a long-term deal with him before the start of the 2010 regular season.

Part of the problem is that the Steelers had to sign tackle Flozell Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million contract after the season-ending injury to right tackle Willie Colon.

"I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter," Reed said. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.

"It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league. I honestly feel that if you perform, no matter if you kick at Heinz field or a dome, as a kicker, you deserve to get compensated for it."

Reed was designated the team's franchise player in February, meaning he would earn the average of the top five kickers and punters in the National Football League in 2010. At the time, Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert indicated they would like to sign Reed to a long-term deal that would allow him to finish his career with the Steelers, the only team for whom he has played.

Colbert said Saturday it is the team's policy to not publicly discuss a player's contract status.

"I've talked to guys in the organization personally, one on one, about how I feel; that's the best way to do it," Reed said. "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself. But it hurts. I want to retire here. There's a possibility I still can retire here. But it looks like it's getting tougher."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/10 ... z0vKb2z4iC (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm#ixzz0vKb2z4iC)

Discipline of Steel
08-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Can it jackass. Be a professional. This is the last thing anyone wants to hear right now.

frankthetank1
08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract
Sunday, August 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm

Jeff Reed will have to wait at least another year before possibly signing a long-term contract that would keep him with the Steelers until his career is over. And he is not happy about it.

Reed, who will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 after signing a one-year franchise tender, said he is "extremely" disappointed that the Steelers did not sign him to a longer contract before the start of training camp.

What's more, he believes he was misled by unspecified members of the organization about their intention of wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal.

"I'm not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened," Reed said Saturday after practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying."

Reed, who converted 87 percent of his field-goal attempts in 2009 (27 for 31) and 83.3 percent in his eight-year career, said he was told by team president Art Rooney II on Friday that the Steelers would not be able to complete a long-term deal with him before the start of the 2010 regular season.

Part of the problem is that the Steelers had to sign tackle Flozell Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million contract after the season-ending injury to right tackle Willie Colon.

"I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter," Reed said. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.

"It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league. I honestly feel that if you perform, no matter if you kick at Heinz field or a dome, as a kicker, you deserve to get compensated for it."

Reed was designated the team's franchise player in February, meaning he would earn the average of the top five kickers and punters in the National Football League in 2010. At the time, Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert indicated they would like to sign Reed to a long-term deal that would allow him to finish his career with the Steelers, the only team for whom he has played.

Colbert said Saturday it is the team's policy to not publicly discuss a player's contract status.

"I've talked to guys in the organization personally, one on one, about how I feel; that's the best way to do it," Reed said. "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself. But it hurts. I want to retire here. There's a possibility I still can retire here. But it looks like it's getting tougher."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/10 ... z0vKb2z4iC (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm#ixzz0vKb2z4iC)

correction you have to kick and do your job. since when has jeff reed ever "played football"? i can tackle better than jeff reed. im not a jeff reed fan. if he wasnt so good with field goals he wouldnt be in the nfl. he has the worst kickoffs in the nfl and he acts like an 18 frat boy. yet he is unhappy making just under 3 mill for kicking :roll:

Chucktownsteeler
08-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Have to agree. He's a good field goal kicker and when the game is on the line he is "money". He is in the top 5 as far as pay as he was franchised. He probably was going to get a long term contract before Colon went down, but that changes the plans, as they needed to bring in Adams. He need to grow up and hope he gets a contract here next year. After what I read, I doubt it. No usually a good idea to call the boss and owner a liar.

I have confidence the FO will bring in a good kicker next season.

Good bye Jeff.

Jooser
08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
What a freaking PUTZ! He's gonna make almost 3 million bucks to kick a damn football. Suck it up a-hole, makes you really appreciate Woodley, for crying out loud.

Jooser
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
What a freaking PUTZ! He's gonna make almost 3 million bucks to kick a damn football. Suck it up a-hole, makes you really appreciate Woodley, for crying out loud.

anger 82&95
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I realize the concept of reality is often subjective, but give me a f***ing break… Perhaps management is not a “big fan” of immature off field antics, e.g., drunkenness, posturing against the police, attacking paper dispensers.

DukieBoy
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Lock up the Sheetz restrooms.

plainnasty
08-01-2010, 10:55 AM
He only has himself to blame. If he stayed out of trouble off the field, he most likely would have had a long term deal by now.

And he is not a complete kicker, he's great at FGs but sucks at kickoff.

Flasteel
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
He will have to have a fantastic season and keep his yap shut the rest of the way, if he expects to be back next year.

What a moron.

papillon
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I've supported Reed as the Steelers kicker due to the fact that he's money with FGs and it isn't easy kicking in Heinz field. The Steelers should go out today and find a kicker for some competition right now, just to send him a message. He's a liquored up idiot kicker; I believe we can find one of them at home on their couch playing XBOX 360.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Well Jeff, if you weren't spending most of the last three years having episodes of being a frat boy a$$ then maybe the organization would feel a little better about investing in you long term.

Oh by the way, maybe if you could actually kick the ball all the way to the end zone the organization may of thought you were worth a long term deal.

Oh by the way, you are a freakin kicker not a franchise QB. How many Pro Bowl's have you been selected for? I think the number is the same as your IQ...zero.

Shawn
08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I think some underestimate how bad Reed is on kick offs and how that translated to easy points and cost us games.

Sugar
08-01-2010, 04:41 PM
It's one thing if the guy thought he was all that or something. However, I don't like being lied to either. So if the FO told him, after all his shennanigans, that he would get a long term deal and then they reneged, shame on them. I understand the deal about Colon going down, etc, but don't promise something you can't deliver on.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
our idiot kicker who likes to get liquored up and run his mouth off should shut the hell up...this type of selfishness is the last thing this team needs right now.

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/06/jeffreed1.jpg

Sugar
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
our idiot kicker who likes to get liquored up and run his mouth off should shut the hell up...this type of selfishness is the last thing this team needs right now.

Perhaps the FO needs to keep their mouths shut if they are making promises they don't keep to guys even after such behaviour.

CanadianSteel
08-01-2010, 05:24 PM
While Reed has been money for us, i just don't agree with him on the contract issue. Take your frustration and use it as motivation when doing KO drills. Maybe one will make it to the 10 yard line :( :(
Little harsh i know when the guy has been such a good kicker over the past few years, but watching the tapes we really need the KO issue fixed. At times the ball never got past the 20 yard line.....

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Perhaps the FO needs to keep their mouths shut if they are making promises they don't keep to guys even after such behaviour.

perhaps the Steelers' FO would have liked to sign Reed to a long-term extension but Reed's agent may be asking for Sebastian Janikowski type of money?

making public statements like this certainly isn't going to help Reed get the long-term deal he's seeking...

decleater
08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I can't wait for regulation play to start. Jeff is just sounding off at a time when real football news is sparse. Okay! 'Nuff said! :Blah

fordfixer
08-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Steelers kicker Reed keeping focus on field
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 2, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 93041.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693041.html)

Unhappy that the Steelers did not sign him to a long-term contract during the offseason, kicker Jeff Reed nevertheless said his disappointment won't affect him on the field.

"Life's not fair, and I have to move on because if I don't perform, I won't be here anyway," said Reed, who is in his ninth season with the Steelers.

The Steelers used the franchise tag on Reed during the offseason to keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Reed signed the one-year, $2.814 million offer that came with the tag, but he and the Steelers couldn't agree on a long-term deal.

The deadline for signing tagged players to new deals was July 15. Reed said he does not know if this will be his last season with the Steelers.

"All I can do is play this year out, and that's pretty much it," Reed said. "I was very optimistic (about getting a multi-year contact) last offseason, and that didn't get me anywhere."

» Nose tackle Casey Hampton did not practice Sunday because of a pulled hamstring and is "day to day," said coach Mike Tomlin. Also missing the Steelers' only practice yesterday were guard Maurkice Pouncey (hamstring), running back Jonathan Dwyer (hamstring) and offensive lineman Ramon Foster (concussion). None of the injuries are considered serious.

Foster, Tomlin said, will try to do some non-football related activities today.

Outside linebacker Andre Frazier (knee) and offensive lineman Chris Scott (foot) remain on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

» Chairman emeritus Dan Rooney is expected to visit training camp early this week. Rooney will be returning from Ireland, where he is serving as the United States' ambassador.

» The Steelers are scheduled to practice twice today.

fezziwig
08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
The part about lying was over the top in my opinion. With the bad press he gets from his antics he should be glad he even has a job with the Steelers. If people want to compare his money to the Raiders kickers money and feel Jeff is worth that or near that amount I have one question, " would you like the Steelers to start running their team like Al Davis does ? "

Jeff is an over grown child that doesn't seem to learn or appreciate what he has and what has been over looked.

If it wasn't for the Steelers he, wouldn't be in the NFL at all.
I'd rather role the dice with a new kicker than to keep him. Maybe a kicker that can put up points and kick into the opponents 10 yard line. These people do exist and I'm sure out of all the college teams one, kicker might rise to the top.

I'm probably taking finding a new kicker light but, Jeff needs to shut up.

ikestops85
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Don't take for granted Reed's ability to kick FGs. The guy is clutch. His kick offs need to see a marked improvement and he is useless as a tackler. Given all of that we better make sure we get a guy who can kick those clutch FGs before we dump Reed. We play in too many close games to leave that to chance.

fezziwig
08-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I think Reeds kickoffs place our special teams and defense in a bad way many times. I really want it all, an accurate field goal kicker and a guy with a bionic kickoff leg but hey, some people just want the total package.
This stuff about only Reed can kick at Heinz field is a load. Who do we have Reed to compare with other than I believe, Chris Brown ? I've seen kickers come to our stadium and make the kicks. Don't fool yourself he, isn't Gods gift to the Steelers.

I think Reeds cocky attitude makes him mentally tough that allows him to kick the fieldgoals so well. I just think he crossed the line with calling out the front office. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and you don't complain about the person that placed him into the NFL. I really believe if it wasn't for us needing a kicker at that time Reed, probably wouldn't be in the NFL at this time.

The interview with Cowher when they signed Reed went something like this.

Reporter: Bill, how did you come to chosing Reed as your new kicker ?

Cowher: We brought in four kickers to compete for the job and no one really distinguished themself over the other guy. As I was walking by the four kickers my assistant asked which one did I think should be the kicker ? I looked up, Jeff was standing there and I said take him.

If Reed wasn't anything more than the other guys in competition then, let's look them up lol.