PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think our O-Line will be awesome this year??

rpmpit
07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I just got a feeling. Everyone is really high on Pouncey. And I'm sorry, you don't play as long as Adams has in the NFL if you stink. Saw a stat where he's started 178 out of 182 games (something like that) while with the Cowboys.

Granted, having a better line then the past few seasons wouldn't be that difficult.

jj28west
07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
I think we will se a noticable improvement with this new coach by midseason.

Can someone list their starting prediction for Oline with the players size and weight? For comparison how does this line stack up to the other more notable lines for run blocking?

Back in the 90's (although I hated them with passion) the Cowboys had a line with Stepnowski, Tunei, Newton, Allen, Williams, Stone, etc which dominated both the run and pass. Emmitt always seemed to be running untouched through these holes and Ernie Zampesi was very predictable with formations. OF course he had Moose Johnson blocking.

Stewie
07-31-2010, 07:30 PM
I predict, barring injuries, that the starting OL will be Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Foster/Essex, and Adams. Pouncey will not start (not strong enough yet), and Urbik will not make the team. The sleeper is Legursky. Just my opinion, so don't get your undies in a bunch.

feltdizz
07-31-2010, 07:48 PM
I predict, barring injuries, that the starting OL will be Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Foster/Essex, and Adams. Pouncey will not start (not strong enough yet), and Urbik will not make the team. The sleeper is Legursky. Just my opinion, so don't get your undies in a bunch.

I think Pouncey will start. He may need to get stronger but it was day one of camp. A lot of rookies aren't used to how physical an NFL practice is... It's no longer college and guts are fighting for jobs... Hopefully his sense of urgency has gone up and he improves.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure this line will ever be awesome until we rid ourselves of Hartwig. With that said, I don't think we will miss a beat with the hotel and Pouncey in the line up.

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I honestly don't think our OL will be awesome this season at all. We'll have either Hartwig or a rookie (Pouncey) starting at center, Essex, Foster or Pouncey at RG and an older Flozell Adams playing RT which is a new position for him.

I'm predicting average to good, but not awesome.

papillon
08-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't know how good or bad the line will be this year, but I'll be disappointed if Pouncey is close to the skill level of Hartwig and Pouncey is watching form the sideline. Given equal talent I hope the Steelers play the younger player and let him learn on the job. And, I would find it hard to believe that the 32nd rated center is better than a #1 draft choice, play Pouncey now.

Starks-Kemo-Pouncy-Foster-Adams that's my oline and I'm sticking with them. :P

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I don't know how good or bad the line will be this year, but I'll be disappointed if Pouncey is close to the skill level of Hartwig and Pouncey is watching form the sideline. Given equal talent I hope the Steelers play the younger player and let him learn on the job. And, I would find it hard to believe that the 32nd rated center is better than a #1 draft choice, play Pouncey now.

Starks-Kemo-Pouncy-Foster-Adams that's my oline and I'm sticking with them. :P

Pappy

i'm predicting Starks-Kemo-Hartwig-Pouncey/Essex-Adams to start Week 1.

i'm hoping for Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Essex/Foster-Adams...

Crash
08-01-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't think they would let Pouncey start at C because of the calling of blocking signals.

But he should be able to beat out Essex for RG.

fordfixer
08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't think they would let Pouncey start at C because of the calling of blocking signals.

I thought Ben called his own blocking signals?

frankthetank1
08-01-2010, 09:26 AM
i have pretty high hopes for the o-line this season. all and all i thought they were good last season and have been progressing more each season. i dont think there is any way pouncey doesnt beat out essex for RG. even with the weak link hartwig starting center i think having pouncey instead of essex at RG will help him a lot. adams was a great move. the run game should be top 10 in the nfl this season.

Chucktownsteeler
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I think the whole team has been solidified and look forward to a great season. Without beating a deadhorse still can't stand and have no faith in Bruce "The Genius" Arians. If there is a way to screw this season up he will find it. Absolutely couldn't believe his posted comments today on the QB situation.

C-town

:HeadBanger

papillon
08-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Yea, I understand the blocking assignment calls, but, none the less once the ball is snapped and the Steelers want to try and run the ball in the 0, 1, and 2 gaps they need a center that can hold his own and win the one-on-one battles with big NTs. I don't think Hartwig is that guy; he struggled last year ghetting pushed around in the short yardage running game, IMO.

I don't which is the lesser of two evils, a rookie calling out the blocking assignments or the veteran that doesn't get it done in the inside running game. (of course, there's no guarantee that Pouncey will be able to get it done inside either, but I'd rather him learn on the job at theposition he will ultimately play.)

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
starks, kemo, legursky, pouncey, adams

I think the coaching staff is begging - someone, anyone- please ... beat out Hartwig.

Legursky is going to get that opportunity.

imo- Pouncey will be the center the next season the Steelers play.

rpmpit
08-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, glad some of you agree with me and my optomism. But like always...

http://www.calgaryliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

:lol:

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I just got a feeling. Everyone is really high on Pouncey. And I'm sorry, you don't play as long as Adams has in the NFL if you stink. Saw a stat where he's started 178 out of 182 games (something like that) while with the Cowboys.

Granted, having a better line then the past few seasons wouldn't be that difficult.

compared to the last few years I think this OL will indeed be awesome.

MaxAMillion
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Players skills and abilities lessen with age and injury. The fact that Adams started games at a high level 5 years ago has little to do with how he plays now. I can promise you that Cowboy fans won't miss Adams in the least. He commits as many penalties as Colon and struggles in pass protection. If he was so great, he would have been signed earlier.

No, I don't think the Steelers OL will be much better. I think Pouncey has a chance to be a great Center in time, but I don't see any of the other OL being anything other than average. I don't see how that translates into an awesome OL.

decleater
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd say good hoping for awesome.

Starks Kemo Urbik Pouncey Adams

rpmpit
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Players skills and abilities lessen with age and injury. The fact that Adams started games at a high level 5 years ago has little to do with how he plays now. I can promise you that Cowboy fans won't miss Adams in the least. He commits as many penalties as Colon and struggles in pass protection. If he was so great, he would have been signed earlier.

No, I don't think the Steelers OL will be much better. I think Pouncey has a chance to be a great Center in time, but I don't see any of the other OL being anything other than average. I don't see how that translates into an awesome OL.

http://www.calgaryliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

fezziwig
08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it wil be a slow start and slow process with our o-line. Hartwig has a bad shoulder, not young and just not that good. I doubt we put Pouncey in at center anytime soon because the position seems so critical. If all the reports about Pouncey talents are true I'm sure he is physical enough to play center but, is he mentally prepared to play center ?

Starks/Kemo/Hartwig/Pouncey or Essex/Adams

I won't be surprised if Kemo gets bumped at sometime for Foster.

Maybe our new o-line coach will have taught Kemo his process better than before. From everything I've heard of late that our new o-line coach is a monster when it comes down to making sure these guys don't make mental mistakes.

Has anyone gave thought to, " what if Pouncey isn't as advertised ? What if he's another bust ?

grotonsteel
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I think it wil be a slow start and slow process with our o-line. Hartwig has a bad shoulder, not young and just not that good. I doubt we put Pouncey in at center anytime soon because the position seems so critical. If all the reports about Pouncey talents are true I'm sure he is physical enough to play center but, is he mentally prepared to play center ?

Starks/Kemo/Hartwig/Pouncey or Essex/Adams

I won't be surprised if Kemo gets bumped at sometime for Foster.

Maybe our new o-line coach will have taught Kemo his process better than before. From everything I've heard of late that our new o-line coach is a monster when it comes down to making sure these guys don't make mental mistakes.

Has anyone gave thought to, " what if Pouncey isn't as advertised ? What if he's another bust ?

Kemo has all the physical tools but i think he has IQ under 50. Too many mental mistakes last season. If new O-line coach is making sure that these guys don't make mental mistake then it is a great news.

Willie Colon i thought was the best O-lineman Steeler had. Not sure how Adams will hold up but i think he has to better than Essex.

My O-line for 2010:
Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Adams

Ubrik is the X-factor. If he has beefed up and playing up to his potential then

Starks-Kemo-Ubrik-Pouncey-Adams is my O-line for 2010