PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey

birtikidis
07-31-2010, 04:50 PM
What kind of camp do y'all think he's having?
Wexell twitted a little bit ago that he was mighty impressive already.
I think he's gonna have the 1st string center spot by the end of camp. and I guarantee he gets work there in the first pre-season game.

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2010, 04:52 PM
is Hartwig 100% healthy and practicing?

birtikidis
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
i haven't heard anything about Hartwig at all. i don't think it matter either.

Lebsteel
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
I'd really like to see Pouncey win the Center spot and either Urbik/Foster/Essex be the RG. I'll be interested to hear how Urbik does in training camp. If he doesn't impress, then there probably will not be room for him on the 2010 roster.

I think the "guaranteed" spots are Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Adams, Essex (versatility), and Foster (versatility to play either Guard or RT). After that, it will be Hartwig, Legursky, Urbik, Scott, and Hills for the final 4 or 5 spots. I'm not sure what they will do with C. Scott. If he was truly impressive in the OTAs they may hold a roster spot, but he would have had to really looked good. They'll probably protect him on IR for the year if they can.

NKySteeler
07-31-2010, 09:57 PM
From Dale Lolley's blog.... (I don't want to "spam", or promote any other link because it is so "taboo" here, so I won't post the link to the article...)

In o-line/d-line drills, Ziggy Hood clubbed Pouncey to the ground in a meeting of No. 1 draft picks, prompting head coach Mike Tomlin to exclaim, "What a difference a year makes."

Tomlin had that pairing go against each other two more times after that, with Hood again besting Pouncey before Pouncey came back and held his ground the third time.

birtikidis
07-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Nky that isn't surprising. given that it's his first camp ever in the pros. in fact I would have been severely disappointed in Hood if he hadn't beaten Pouncey 2 out of 3 times.

Vindrow
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
IT was reported that Pouncey and Adams looked very impressive on the right side.

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
From Dale Lolley's blog.... (I don't want to "spam", or promote any other link because it is so "taboo" here, so I won't post the link to the article...)

In o-line/d-line drills, Ziggy Hood clubbed Pouncey to the ground in a meeting of No. 1 draft picks, prompting head coach Mike Tomlin to exclaim, "What a difference a year makes."

Tomlin had that pairing go against each other two more times after that, with Hood again besting Pouncey before Pouncey came back and held his ground the third time.

Dude, we always link our articles here. :)

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM

I don't think so...People do provide links to any Steelers article on this MB.

I have not read Dos and Dont's for this site but providing links should not be an issue.

birtikidis
08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Damn, according to Wexell on twitter, Pouncey didn't practice today... think he said it was a slight hammy pull.

Shawn
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn, according to Wexell on twitter, Pouncey didn't practice today... think he said it was a slight hammy pull.

I believe Dwyer hurt his hammy as well. Not unheard of on the first day of camp.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I believe Dwyer hurt his hammy as well. Not unheard of on the first day of camp.

Pouncey and Dwyer are obviously both "busts"... :lol:

birtikidis
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM

yea, obviously! lol
Shawn, I'm just bummed cause they were talking up him and Adams on the right side. plus, it's the only news i could find that hadn't been posted already... lol

Shawn
08-01-2010, 06:34 PM

yea, obviously! lol
Shawn, I'm just bummed cause they were talking up him and Adams on the right side. plus, it's the only news i could find that hadn't been posted already... lol

I bet they are both fine. It's pretty common for rookies especially to tweak a hammy on the first day or two. They are not used to the talent and they are trying to impress. I bet both are practicing in a day or two.

birtikidis
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Yea, I agree shawn, no worries. i think i ginxed him.. lol

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Steelers Notebook: No. 1 pick Pouncey was on the run early

Sunday, August 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2010/05-May/2010_player_cards/Pouncey_Maurkice.jpg

It was a long day for Maurkice Pouncey, the team's No. 1 draft choice.

He arrived at Saint Vincent College at 12:45 a.m. Saturday, was up at 6 a.m. to take a conditioning test and back on the field at 9 a.m. for the first practice of training camp.

Before that, he officially signed a five-year, $17.96 million contract that includes $10.35 million in guaranteed money.

"I passed it with flying colors," Pouncey said of the run test. "I show up late, I have to do something good."

Pouncey, one of only two true freshmen to ever start for coach Urban Meyer at the University of Florida, will be tried at right guard where he will compete with incumbent starter Trai Essex.

Meantime, Pouncey said an NCAA investigation into allegations he accepted $100,000 from a representative of a sports agent have proven to be false. Pouncey said he spoke with NCAA investigators Friday and that the investigation is all but over.

"It's not true," Pouncey said of the allegations, his first public comment on the matter. "I don't know who would ever write a letter like that, trying to destroy someone's name. It's not fair. They went through the whole investigation and couldn't find anything."

Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the draft, allegedly accepted the money between the Southeastern Conference title game Dec. 6, 2009, and the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, according to ESPN.com.

"I'm just happy that everybody sees that it's not true," Pouncey said. "Enough stuff has been said that didn't happen."

Fast learner

The Steelers wasted little time inserting newly acquired tackle Flozell Adams into the starting lineup, using him at right tackle for the first series of training camp and leaving him at that spot for both practices.

"He picked it up real quickly," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "Trai [Essex] would tell him what to do and after a couple series he had it."

Familiar interns

Two former Steelers players are at training camp doing internships with the team.

Former tight end Mark Bruener, who retired in 2009 after seven seasons with the Steelers and five with the Houston Texans, is working in the scouting department, hoping to eventually land a front-office position with an NFL team.

And former defensive lineman Brentson Buckner, who played three seasons with the Steelers (1994-96) and 10 seasons with four other NFL teams, will work with the players as a coaching intern.

Bruener is one of two scouting interns at training camp. The other is former Detroit Lions defensive end Robert Porcher. Also, former University of Miami linebacker Michael Barrow, who played with five teams in his 13-year NFL career, is at camp working as a coaching intern.

Quick hits

Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton injured his hamstring in the morning practice and did not work in the afternoon. Coach Mike Tomlin said Hampton is day to day. Also, rookie running back Jonathan Dwyer injured his hamstring in the afternoon practice and did not return. Tomlin said he will know more about Dwyer's injury today. ... The biggest hit in practice was administered by Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison, who flipped running back Rashard Mendenhall after he leaped to catch a pass. Mendenhall held on to the ball. ... The Steelers will practice just once today at 3 p.m. The session is open to the public.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076861-66.stm

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Welcome back Bruener and Buckner! Welcome Porcher and Barrow!

Familiar interns

Two former Steelers players are at training camp doing internships with the team.

Former tight end Mark Bruener, who retired in 2009 after seven seasons with the Steelers and five with the Houston Texans, is working in the scouting department, hoping to eventually land a front-office position with an NFL team.

And former defensive lineman Brentson Buckner, who played three seasons with the Steelers (1994-96) and 10 seasons with four other NFL teams, will work with the players as a coaching intern.

Bruener is one of two scouting interns at training camp. The other is former Detroit Lions defensive end Robert Porcher. Also, former University of Miami linebacker Michael Barrow, who played with five teams in his 13-year NFL career, is at camp working as a coaching intern.

http://www.steelertribute.com/Bru.jpghttp://www.finalshot.com/ThumbNails/Steelers/BucknerBrentsonR1TB.jpghttp://prod.static.lions.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/team/Porcher_His09.jpghttp://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2001/0208/photo/s_barrow_i.jpg

birtikidis
08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Barrow was the LB'er coach at University of Miami a few years back. I met him at a coaching clinic in Daytona. dude still looked like he could play. dude is very intelligent.