PDA

View Full Version : Wexell Says Ben in major shape

BigRob
07-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Says he is in the kind of shape he was when he was a Rookie.

Sugar
07-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I heard that Snack was in great shape as well. I don't think these guys like the way they went from Hero to Zero last year. They want the title back, let's just hope it's not too little too late.

siss
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Roethlisberger, looking as fit as he did his rookie season, threw well throughout the workout. And one more note on Roethlisberger: He chuckled when asked to verify whether he’s started a Twitter account. "Nope, no tweets, no MySpace, no Facebook. I like to keep my personal life personal." He did admit that he’s aware of an impersonator on the Internet and was told that person’s activities had ceased.

Also:
A tweet from ESPN's AFC North Blog:

QB Ben Roethlisberger gets loud ovation from Steelers fans. Shakes hands with fans on his way to practice and seemed happy for the cheers.

And from Wexell:

Roethlisberger walked down the hill to practice amid cheers. Not a boo was heard.

papillon
07-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Roethlisberger, looking as fit as he did his rookie season, threw well throughout the workout. And one more note on Roethlisberger: He chuckled when asked to verify whether he’s started a Twitter account. "Nope, no tweets, no MySpace, no Facebook. I like to keep my personal life personal." He did admit that he’s aware of an impersonator on the Internet and was told that person’s activities had ceased.

Also:

QB Ben Roethlisberger gets loud ovation from Steelers fans. Shakes hands with fans on his way to practice and seemed happy for the cheers.

And from Wexell:

Roethlisberger walked down the hill to practice amid cheers. Not a boo was heard.

That is good news right there Steeler fans.

Pappy

rpmpit
07-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Bet his right forearm looks like Popeyes!!! :lol:

Great to hear about Ben in shape and the cheers from the fans! Good stuff!!!

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Also:

And from Wexell:

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Crash
07-31-2010, 06:42 PM
That's part 1.

Part 2 is letting Goodell have it next week. If he does a fan Q&A he must be called out.

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 06:57 PM
That's part 1.

Part 2 is letting Goodell have it next week. If he does a fan Q&A he must be called out.

Agreed.

feltdizz
07-31-2010, 07:42 PM

Also:

And from Wexell:

Pappy

great news indeed. I think our team will rally and have a great season.

Who would show up to boo at camp though?

Djfan
07-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I would show up to loudly, continually boo Rogie Poo.

Can't stand the schmuck.

SteelAbility
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Most importantly this is a sign that Ben is committed to changing his approach to things.

Ozey74
07-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Bet his right forearm looks like Popeyes!!! :lol:

Insert Ed McMahon ---------> Hey Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crash
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Jim Wexell's a punk. He'll suck up to Ben in the locker room but he'll blast him all day on his website. If I was Ben I wouldn't give him the time of day.

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 11:18 PM

And from Wexell:

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

eniparadoxgma
07-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Also:

And from Wexell:

Pappy

Agreed. Great to hear. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

pfelix73
07-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Not surprised by the warm reception. (great to hear) His first game back in the regular season will be the same way, but even louder. People generally have short memories.

:tt1

Captain Lemming
08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Most importantly this is a sign that Ben is committed to changing his approach to things.

And THAT is why as much as you guys want to hate on Art II he did THE RIGHT THING. Hate on Goodell as much as you want.

Goodells letter goes on to say:

"Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare," Goodell said.

In Goodell's letter, he urges Roethlisberger to take advantage of the resources being made available to him to get his life and career back on track.

"In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track," Goodell said.

Wow it sure looks like Ben has taken his discipline to heart. Good for you Ben.

Yeah, hate all you want, Ben is dedicated like never before, and I bet he NEVER finds himself in trouble again.

Those of you worried over his missing a handful of game are so short sighted.

Hebrews 12 verse 11 of the Bible says:

"11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. "

I for one believe in the wisdom of that verse.

That is why I have AWAYS been in favor of the strong punishment.

I dont care WHO on other teams get away with actin a fool. It is THEIR loss.

Thank you Mr. Rooney.

Ben and the Steelers are going to have MORE SUCCESS in the long run. BRAVO.

stlrz d
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM

And THAT is why as much as you guys want to hate on Art II he did THE RIGHT THING. Hate on Goodell as much as you want.

"Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare," Goodell said.

In Goodell's letter, he urges Roethlisberger to take advantage of the resources being made available to him to get his life and career back on track.

"In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track," Goodell said.

Yeah, hate all you want, Ben is dedicated like never before, and I bet he NEVER finds himself in trouble again.

"11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. "

Thank you Mr. Rooney.

What do you expect Goodell to say? He has to justify his bull$hit decision.

Crash
08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
So Goodell should do the right thing, admit he overreacted with the number of games and cut it down to two games.

Treat Ben like he treated Mike Vick, a convicted felon.

papillon
08-01-2010, 12:44 AM

Also:

And from Wexell:

Pappy

The same people that will pay between $75 and $500 per ticket to go into the stadium and boo him. I'm sure at the stadium he'll hear a smattering of boos, but 97% of it will all be positive. Pittsburgh fans can be harsh, but for the most part I believe they've accepted Ben as one of their own and feel he suspension was too harsh and the media lynching was way over the top and I am still one of the fans that believes Ben brought it all on himself.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
[quote=SteelAbility]Most importantly this is a sign that Ben is committed to changing his approach to things.

Thank you Mr. Rooney.

What do you expect Goodell to say? He has to justify his bull$hit decision.[/quote:l0l4ru78]

I do not think Goodell motives are all pure. He is about PR period.
But what he said is TRUE and perhaps Ben is acting on his advice. I have no problem with the suspension. I think it is good for Ben.

Crash
08-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah being suspended and embarrassed after being wrongfully accused of a crime.

Sign me up too.

:roll:

Captain Lemming
08-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah being suspended and embarrassed after being wrongfully accused of a crime.

Sign me up too.

If I am too stupid to learn my lesson, after ONE accusation, yes, perhaps I need to have some sense "embarrassed" into me.

Notice the first line of the verse:

Crash
08-01-2010, 02:16 AM
The woman who started the ball rolling in Georgia was the girl who was removed from the VIP area for calling him a rapist.

I'm sorry, for Goodell to allow those drunken whores to get away with what they did was a joke.

Especially when guys who are getting arrested multiple times have never been suspended.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 02:30 AM

Also:

And from Wexell:

Pappy

The same people that will pay between $75 and $500 per ticket to go into the stadium and boo him. I'm sure at the stadium he'll hear a smattering of boos, but 97% of it will all be positive. Pittsburgh fans can be harsh, but for the most part I believe they've accepted Ben as one of their own and feel he suspension was too harsh and the media lynching was way over the top and I am still one of the fans that believes Ben brought it all on himself.

Pappy

nah... I think it takes a special breed to drive up to camp in 95 degree weather to boo

it's much easier to boo when you can hide in a sea of fans at the stadium. Booing at camp takes dedication.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 02:34 AM
So Goodell should do the right thing, admit he overreacted with the number of games and cut it down to two games.

Treat Ben like he treated Mike Vick, a convicted felon.

Ben is 10 times more important to the NFL's image than Benson, Jackson, Vick and whoever you have been tracking on the crime scene.

I'm glad Goodell realizes this... if you were in charge the fans and media would still have this story front and center like the Mel Gibson tapes. LOL

stlrz d
08-01-2010, 08:05 AM
[quote="Captain Lemming":1jpeu8c1][quote=SteelAbility]Most importantly this is a sign that Ben is committed to changing his approach to things.

Thank you Mr. Rooney.

What do you expect Goodell to say? He has to justify his bull$hit decision.[/quote:1jpeu8c1]

But what he said is TRUE and perhaps Ben is acting on his advice. I have no problem with the suspension. I think it is good for Ben.[/quote:1jpeu8c1]

[youtube:1jpeu8c1]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0WCHKbZPRI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0WCHKbZPRI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:1jpeu8c1]

I happen to think he'll play nice on the outside (because he has to) but feel jaded on the inside knowing that he did nothing wrong. That's how I would feel if i were falsely accused of something but punished anyway. And I'd wager that you would feel the same way.

And felt, thanks for confirming that the folks who turned on Ben aren't dedicated fans and are cowards. We knew that, but thanks. :)

stlrz d
08-01-2010, 08:11 AM
The woman who started the ball rolling in Georgia was the girl who was removed from the VIP area for calling him a rapist.

I'm sorry, for Goodell to allow those drunken whores to get away with what they did was a joke.

Especially when guys who are getting arrested multiple times have never been suspended.

Right you are. The right thing would have been to come out in support of a player being falsely accused of something and then used that as a platform to drive it home to ALL players in the NFL that something like this could happen to them too.

What really makes me laugh is all these guys and their "Ben is a bigger name than 'player so-and-so' because if they were publicly punished at their places of business for something they were falsely accused of I don't think they'd look at their punisher and say, "I understand, I am held to a higher standard and even though I didn't do anything I put myself in a position to be falsely accused...I humbly and graciously accept this punishment".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoe
08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
And one more note on Roethlisberger: He chuckled when asked to verify whether he’s started a Twitter account. "Nope, no tweets, no MySpace, no Facebook. I like to keep my personal life personal."

He bangs a girl in the bathroom of a public bar... and he likes to keep his personal life personal... O K

Crash
08-01-2010, 11:08 AM
And one more note on Roethlisberger: He chuckled when asked to verify whether he’s started a Twitter account. "Nope, no tweets, no MySpace, no Facebook. I like to keep my personal life personal."

He bangs a girl in the bathroom of a public bar... and he likes to keep his personal life personal... O K

He didn't have sex with her.

Do yourself a favor, and read the evidence.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1g0l84ky][quote="Captain Lemming":1g0l84ky][quote=SteelAbility]Most importantly this is a sign that Ben is committed to changing his approach to things.

Thank you Mr. Rooney.

What do you expect Goodell to say? He has to justify his bull$hit decision.[/quote:1g0l84ky]

But what he said is TRUE and perhaps Ben is acting on his advice. I have no problem with the suspension. I think it is good for Ben.[/quote:1g0l84ky]

[youtube:1g0l84ky]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0WCHKbZPRI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0WCHKbZPRI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:1g0l84ky]

I happen to think he'll play nice on the outside (because he has to) but feel jaded on the inside knowing that he did nothing wrong. That's how I would feel if i were falsely accused of something but punished anyway. And I'd wager that you would feel the same way.

And felt, thanks for confirming that the folks who turned on Ben aren't dedicated fans and are cowards. We knew that, but thanks. :)[/quote:1g0l84ky]

being upset with your QB isn't turning on him....

frankthetank1
08-01-2010, 04:18 PM
this report is right on the money. i just saw an interview of ben this morning and he looks like he is in the best shape he has ever been.

Jooser
08-01-2010, 04:32 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/6dfb685fa06d0af5f47d6f22d4771877-ge.jpg

Who wants a shot at Number 1? Eh?

Captain Lemming
08-04-2010, 12:56 AM
And felt, thanks for confirming that the folks who turned on Ben aren't dedicated fans and are cowards. We knew that, but thanks. :)

being upset with your QB isn't turning on him....

Also, being ELATED that your QB has RESPONDED to the the suspension by dedication and single minded focus to his game and is as a result sharper than EVER, can hardly be considered hatin on your QB.

Thank you Art II for insisting that the commish not go light on Ben. In the long run he will be better for it, to the benefit of the Steelers.

Crash
08-04-2010, 12:59 AM
I hope Ben wins #7, spits on the Lombardi right in front of Goodell and then spikes it.

Captain Lemming
08-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I happen to think he'll play nice on the outside (because he has to) but feel jaded on the inside knowing that he did nothing wrong.

Amazingly he is more focussed than ever. Be a better QB than ever, that will teach that mean evil Rooney. :lol:

It looks to me that Ben has sincerely taken to heart the advice he was given. He sees clearly that his he has some blame for his predicament even if the charge is false. I hope no crime occurred but it looks like he is embarrassed by how he acted and is determined to "be better"

That's how I would feel if i were falsely accused of something but punished anyway. And I'd wager that you would feel the same way.

I hope Ben committed no crime, he is innocent til proven quilty.

However, if I were accused of raping someone, and I WASNT EVEN IN THE BATHROOM as you keep saying, I WOULD SAY I WASNT IN THE BATHROOM. I would say it publicly. I would have a dozen witnesses to back me up. Case closed.

I would not be punished by anybody if the fact are that I was not even in the bathroom.

I KNOW he was in that bathroom just because he aint denying it.

Only two people know what happened in there.

Crash
08-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I still think she was blowing him, slipped, and Ben ended it. Btw, Family DTF stopped talking to police when they asked for DNA samples from inside her mouth.

Take from that what you will.

BURGH86STEEL
08-04-2010, 05:32 AM
I still think she was blowing him, slipped, and Ben ended it. Btw, Family DTF stopped talking to police when they asked for DNA samples from inside her mouth.

If you are going to have that stance, why be upset with people who feel that there is a chance Ben took advantage of a drunk woman? There are two sides to the coin.

My stance is that Ben should had never placed himself in that position with a woman he just met. It all started and ended with the decisions Ben made that night. Stupid is as stupid did. My disappointment with Ben was that he placed himself in that position and he treated a woman that way.

I also believe he needed to be suspended. If nothing more then to show him the seriousness of the decisions he made and situations he placed himself into. My hope is that he never treats a woman like that again or makes a decision like that with a woman he just meets. He may not be so lucky the next time if he places himself in that type of situation again.

On another note, it's good to read that Ben appears to be focused on becoming a better player. I don't believe he's reached his potential.

frankthetank1
08-04-2010, 07:47 AM

i hope for ben's sake thats not how it went down. if so he must of been pretty sore for days. ouch!!! :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1qnj39jw]
I happen to think he'll play nice on the outside (because he has to) but feel jaded on the inside knowing that he did nothing wrong.

Amazingly he is more focussed than ever. Be a better QB than ever, that will teach that mean evil Rooney. :lol:

It looks to me that Ben has sincerely taken to heart the advice he was given. He sees clearly that his he has some blame for his predicament even if the charge is false. I hope no crime occurred but it looks like he is embarrassed by how he acted and is determined to "be better"

That's how I would feel if i were falsely accused of something but punished anyway. And I'd wager that you would feel the same way.

I hope Ben committed no crime, he is innocent til proven quilty.

However, if I were accused of raping someone, and I WASNT EVEN IN THE BATHROOM as you keep saying, I WOULD SAY I WASNT IN THE BATHROOM. I would say it publicly. I would have a dozen witnesses to back me up. Case closed.

I would not be punished by anybody if the fact are that I was not even in the bathroom.

I KNOW he was in that bathroom just because he aint denying it.

Only two people know what happened in there.[/quote:1qnj39jw]

It looks to me like he's doing what he has to do because he has no other choice.

Ben's not saying much of anything about his side of the story. His lawyers have told him not to and he's obviously taking their advice. So you can come on here and quote bible verses and think the worst of him with regards to that night all you want.

Until someone other than the SoHo's says he was in that bathroom I won't believe it.

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 08:33 AM
If Ben was never in the bathroom that should have been the first words in every speech he gave.

Even if he went in there and realized his mistake it was too late and bad judgment on his part. Fisrt time is forgivable but putting yourself right back in the hands of a total stranger hoe was a bad move.

Crash
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
If you are going to have that stance, why be upset with people who feel that there is a chance Ben took advantage of a drunk woman? There are two sides to the coin.

She pursued him all night, and then invited him to go to the bathroom.

Not the smartest thing mind you, but he didn't commit a crime.

The suspension was bulls*it. If Goodell had any brains he would lower it down to two games like Vick got when the convicted felon was released from prison. Goodell made an example of Ben, then he released that memo to all the teams warning their players to stay out of trouble.

Problem is, the players kept messing up, and didn't listen to Goodell's warning. And now since Goodell isn't suspending them also he looks like a double standard ladened fool.

Goodell can still "take credit" for the new Ben, and at the same time right his wrong of a 4-6 game suspension.

If he shows his face in Latrobe to the fans Thursday I hope they heckle him all day.

ikestops85
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM

My stance is that Ben should had never placed himself in that position with a woman he just met. It all started and ended with the decisions Ben made that night. Stupid is as stupid did. My disappointment with Ben was that he placed himself in that position and he treated a woman that way.

I also believe he needed to be suspended. If nothing more then to show him the seriousness of the decisions he made and situations he placed himself into. My hope is that he never treats a woman like that again or makes a decision like that with a woman he just meets. He may not be so lucky the next time if he places himself in that type of situation again.

On another note, it's good to read that Ben appears to be focused on becoming a better player. I don't believe he's reached his potential.

There are two sides to that coin so my hope is that Ben is never treated that way by a women again and never taken advantage by a women he just meets.

What ever happened was between 2 consenting adults and don't give me that crap that she was too drunk to consent. She is responsible for the condition she was in ... nobody else. She was responsible for following Ben and his group around from bar to bar. She was the one responsible for going into the VIP room. She was the one responsible for drinking the shots. She was the one responsible for going with the security guard into the hallway. She is the one who is responsible for letting this whole incident spiral out of control by going along with her jilted friend.

I think we all feel Ben acted stupidly but he is a football player. Not a rocket scientist. He was the reason a lot of negative publicity was generated but he can not control that. You should not be suspended for events out of your control. To me this argument is as stupid as those who wish to throw gun manufacturers in jail because guns kill people.

Note To Mod: Please suspend Captain Lemming from posting for the first 6 games of the season. He has done nothing wrong and while the suspension might be painful it will make him a better poster after the suspension. I am sure he will come back more focused and his typing fingers will be in the best shape of his life. I know this because the bible told me so.

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM

There are two sides to that coin so my hope is that Ben is never treated that way by a women again and never taken advantage by a women he just meets.

What ever happened was between 2 consenting adults and don't give me that crap that she was too drunk to consent. She is responsible for the condition she was in ... nobody else. She was responsible for following Ben and his group around from bar to bar. She was the one responsible for going into the VIP room. She was the one responsible for drinking the shots. She was the one responsible for going with the security guard into the hallway. She is the one who is responsible for letting this whole incident spiral out of control by going along with her jilted friend.

I think we all feel Ben acted stupidly but he is a football player. Not a rocket scientist. He was the reason a lot of negative publicity was generated but he can not control that. You should not be suspended for events out of your control. To me this argument is as stupid as those who wish to throw gun manufacturers in jail because guns kill people.

Note To Mod: Please suspend Captain Lemming from posting for the first 6 games of the season. He has done nothing wrong and while the suspension might be painful it will make him a better poster after the suspension. I am sure he will come back more focused and his typing fingers will be in the best shape of his life. I know this because the bible told me so.

That is the biggest load of bull ever....

She is responsible for Ben's welfare as well? Ben is responsible for Ben....

Dude... you will probably go to jail if you really believe you can have your way with a drunk chick because she can't handle her liquor. If a chick is too drunk to consent the guy who is nursing a beer should not take advantage of the situation...

not saying Ben took advantage but you imply it would be OK if he did. :wft

ikestops85
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM

That is the biggest load of bull ever....

She is responsible for Ben's welfare as well? Ben is responsible for Ben....

Dude... you will probably go to jail if you really believe you can have your way with a drunk chick because she can't handle her liquor. If a chick is too drunk to consent the guy who is nursing a beer should not take advantage of the situation...

not saying Ben took advantage but you imply it would be OK if he did. :wft

So you are saying she takes no responsibility for her condition :wft

I am not saying a guy can assault her ... I am saying she can consent and if she drops down on her knees and goes at it I don't have to say NO. That is what I am saying.

brothervad
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
hmmm let's see here:

A) Ben without Kick in the head from Goodell:

Fat, out of shape, taking things for granted, using questionable judgement

B) Ben with Kick in the head from Goodell:

Hard working, in shape, going above and beyond to be a better person all around

I guess I will take B over A any day...

Oh and for those who think it was way too harsh of a punishment...um why don't you take your way back machines to Ben's motorcycle accident...

In his first comments since crashing his motorcycle and undergoing seven hours of surgery, Roethlisberger released a statement through the team Thursday in which he apologized to the Steelers, fans and his family, and said he was lucky to have survived.

“In the past few days, I’ve gained a new perspective on life,” the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released just hours after he was discharged from a hospital. “By the grace of God, I’m fortunate to be alive ... “

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield Monday. He was discharged from Mercy Hospital late Wednesday night.

The youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania’s mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again “it certainly will be with a helmet.”

Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger’s broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team

The point is...Ben has needed negative reinforcement several times...if this straightens him out permanently (as previous iterations did not) then I am all for the stringent punishement.

Regardless of the hypocrisy some of you are outraged about...I am more concerned that he turns his life around than the suspension...Ben needed a personal Damascus...and I hope that this was it.

brothervad

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't know if that's a good idea. Its been done since the beginning of time but I would advise against doing something like that.

I knew a guy who ended up in jail for 3 months before she confessed she made it up.

While its done all the time I can't see how a guy with 100 mill and a previous accusation would take that risk. There are plenty of girls who will willingly drop down and do it with pride. There is no need to risk it with so much at stake.

cruzer8
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
hmmm let's see here:

Oh and for those who think it was way too harsh of a punishment...um why don't you take your way back machines to Ben's motorcycle accident...

In his first comments since crashing his motorcycle and undergoing seven hours of surgery, Roethlisberger released a statement through the team Thursday in which he apologized to the Steelers, fans and his family, and said he was lucky to have survived.

“In the past few days, I’ve gained a new perspective on life,” the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released just hours after he was discharged from a hospital. “By the grace of God, I’m fortunate to be alive ... “

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield Monday. He was discharged from Mercy Hospital late Wednesday night.

The youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania’s mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again “it certainly will be with a helmet.”

Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger’s broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team

The point is...Ben has needed negative reinforcement several times...if this straightens him out permanently (as previous iterations did not) then I am all for the stringent punishement.

Regardless of the hypocrisy some of you are outraged about...I am more concerned that he turns his life around than the suspension...Ben needed a personal Damascus...and I hope that this was it.

brothervad

I'd love to see how you would respond if you were falsely accused of something and then subsequently punished for it.

And I'd love to see how you'd respond to someone who said, "brothervad is a much different person now that he's been punished for something he was falsely accused of and wasn't charged with anything. That's great!"

brothervad
08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
hmmm let's see here:

brothervad

I'd love to see how you would respond if you were falsely accused of something and then subsequently punished for it.

And I'd love to see how you'd respond to someone who said, "brothervad is a much different person now that he's been punished for something he was falsely accused of and wasn't charged with anything. That's great!"

Not the point but I will bite...

Sure if I were falsely accused I would be ticked/defensive...I am not going to go back to the incident...you feel how you feel and I feel how I feel and that is fine.

Your continuous righteous indignation is now irrelevant. It is what it is...if Ben becomes a better man whether is justifiable or not it still is the reality we deal with now.

Remember Lenny Bruce had a point and a very valid point at that...but in the end he became a washed out Junkie who stopped being funny and started being a caricture of himself.

All I am saying at this point is that if he becomes a better man than more power to him. Ben was no saint...he may or may not have been the sinner that some have felt he was. But now it's done...and if he becomes a better man from it then that will be a net benefit.

I have done things in my life when I was young that were stupid...I was falsely accused, defended myself (successfully), and was pissed that I has to do it. But you know what? I got wisdom from it and yes maturity. I am a much different man today than I was 15 years ago. Not worse or bitter...just smarter.

Going on and on about fairness, justice and feeling wronged...is just a useless waste of your time. It's done. I hope the best outcome from this is Ben becomes that smarter/better man.

Regardless of the perceived level of justification/persecution the viewing public has on it.

But it is your time I guess...so keep on complaining...in the end it won't change a thing. he will still need to show he has changed and he will still serve a suspension.

brothervad

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
:Agree :Clap

I think Brothervad wrapped this up nicely.

BURGH86STEEL
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM

I agree. I've wrote something similar to what I write now. Some people don't seem to understand that this suspension may be what was needed to help Ben get his act together. People are so focused on the short term that they fail to take the long term repercussion into consideration.

If Ben did not change his ways, he might have placed himself in a similar situation in the future. The next time, he may not be so lucky. All the crying about the suspension is a waste of time. It is what it is. The hope is that it will make Ben a better person. Is that so difficult for people to understand?

Sugar
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
hmmm let's see here:

brothervad

Not the point but I will bite...

Sure if I were falsely accused I would be ticked/defensive...I am not going to go back to the incident...you feel how you feel and I feel how I feel and that is fine.

Your continuous righteous indignation is now irrelevant. It is what it is...if Ben becomes a better man whether is justifiable or not it still is the reality we deal with now.

Remember Lenny Bruce had a point and a very valid point at that...but in the end he became a washed out Junkie who stopped being funny and started being a caricture of himself.

All I am saying at this point is that if he becomes a better man than more power to him. Ben was no saint...he may or may not have been the sinner that some have felt he was. But now it's done...and if he becomes a better man from it then that will be a net benefit.

I have done things in my life when I was young that were stupid...I was falsely accused, defended myself (successfully), and was pissed that I has to do it. But you know what? I got wisdom from it and yes maturity. I am a much different man today than I was 15 years ago. Not worse or bitter...just smarter.

Going on and on about fairness, justice and feeling wronged...is just a useless waste of your time. It's done. I hope the best outcome from this is Ben becomes that smarter/better man.

Regardless of the perceived level of justification/persecution the viewing public has on it.

But it is your time I guess...so keep on complaining...in the end it won't change a thing. he will still need to show he has changed and he will still serve a suspension.

brothervad

I don't see Ben being the one complaining as he's got to suck up to the commish to play. As a competitor, perhaps he's doing what he needs to do for the moment. We on message boards can complain about it and while it doesn't do any good from the standpoint of changing the circumstance, it is still important to advocate for justice when someone is wronged (if even on a message board).

Just because a person can better themselves after being wrongly accused doesn't mean that it was OK simply because that person had a favorable outcome.

Shawn
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
All the change in the world in Ben doesn't validate unequal recourse for breeches of code of conduct. I have less issue with the suspension and more issue with the fact that Vince and others like him were not suspended.

BURGH86STEEL
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM

I've said before that the young lady should take responsibility for her actions. Fortunately for the young lady, she is not a public figure. Ben had the most to lose.

So being a football player is an excuse for his actions? I believe that Ben has some level of acceptable intelligence. If I were accused of rape several months earlier, bet your bottom dollar that I would be extra careful about the women I placed into my company. That's not rocket science.

The argument is valid because Ben had control over the entire situation. He choose the place and people he let into his private party.

In any event, this is water under the bridge. Nothing about the accusation or suspension will change. We should all hope that Ben changes for the better.

feltdizz
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
All the change in the world in Ben doesn't validate unequal recourse for breeches of code of conduct. I have less issue with the suspension and more issue with the fact that Vince and others like him were not suspended.

different breeches... different people... different histories...

Ben had a fresh accusation that hasn't been wrapped up yet in Vegas. The worst time for an accusation is when you are already accused of the same accusation.

I don't understand why Vince is compared to Ben.... they are 2 totally different incidents.

stlrz d
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM

I agree. I've wrote something similar to what I write now. Some people don't seem to understand that this suspension may be what was needed to help Ben get his act together. People are so focused on the short term that they fail to take the long term repercussion into consideration.

If Ben did not change his ways, he might have placed himself in a similar situation in the future. The next time, he may not be so lucky. All the crying about the suspension is a waste of time. It is what it is. The hope is that it will make Ben a better person. Is that so difficult for people to understand?

Maybe some people who don't know all the details and who don't know Ben personally don't automatically believe whatever negative things are published about him.

That's the point some of us keep attempting to make. You choose to assume the worst. We weren't there, we don't know so we don't make assumptions based on unreliable, inconsistent accounts.

Captain Lemming
08-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Ben's not saying much of anything about his side of the story. His lawyers have told him not to and he's obviously taking their advice. So you can come on here and quote bible verses and think the worst of him with regards to that night all you want.

Until someone other than the SoHo's says he was in that bathroom I won't believe it.

If Ben wasnt in the bathroom, there is no lawyer on the planet that would tell him to keep quiet. That is beyond absurd.

Lets see, Ben is just sipin beers with ten or 15 people and out of the blue some crazy chick invents some story that he raped her in the bathroom. Ben would deny it before even SPEAKING TO A LAWYER.

The whole incident dies right there D.

No wonder you think Ben is such a victim. Heck he can be anywhere out in public and a chick can accuse him of rape when people KNOW he wasnt ever alone with her.

Heck, even Crash knows better than to question the obvious fact Ben was in the bathroom. (btw I must say Crashs scenario seems very possible based on the known facts, I just dont see how anybody can be sure).

As far as "thinking the worst" that would be saying he raped her. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT. I simply dont know.

Maybe some people who don't know all the details and who don't know Ben personally don't automatically believe whatever negative things are published about him.

That's the point some of us keep attempting to make. You choose to assume the worst. We weren't there, we don't know so we don't make assumptions based on unreliable, inconsistent accounts.

Back at ya D. Nobody is doing what you say. The only one who claim to "KNOW" what happened, are convinced he is incapable of wrongdoing. The rest of us just admit we dont know.

We ALL hope he is innocent. My biggest issue with Ben is that he again put himself in a situation where we just dont KNOW.

I for one will be elated if he learns from this and avoid similar situations in the future. If it takes a suspension for him to wise up yeah, I am happy he got suspended.

BURGH86STEEL
08-05-2010, 05:38 AM

For you not to be there, you sure seem to find a way to assume the worst about the young lady. You seem so adamant about defending Ben. It is very possible that Ben took advantage of the young lady. It is possible that Ben did not do anything wrong. Why defend anyone at all if you were not there? The problem with that stance is people form their own opinions and conclusion based on what happened. Ben and a drunk woman he just met in the bathroom? Anything that happened after that is he said, she said. Ben should not had been in that bathroom with her in the first place. It should be fairly easy to understand why he should not had been in there with her.

Based on Ben's statements and what appears to be a new attitude, I believe he now realizes the type person he had become. If you believe that Ben was an angel, that is your choice. Just like it's someone else's choice to believe that Ben had gotten out of control. I believe the owners felt he was out of control. Who knows what might eventually happen if he continued down that path? They probably felt talking did not appear to work for Ben. That's probably why they felt the need to suspend Ben.

If the suspension woke him up, it's a good thing.

feltdizz
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Bravo Captain and Burghsteel
:Clap :Clap

It's going to be a good year!

stlrz d
08-05-2010, 08:04 AM
It's not even worth continuing. Keep on assuming.

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, but what I am CERTAIN of is that the stories from the 3 SoHo's are wildly inconsistent. When the GA DA saw that "evidence" he knew he didn't have a case.

It's a shame you guys can't see that and it's a shame you're ok with someone being punished for something they were falsely accused of just because it might help "your" football team going forward.

Btw, the reason Ben can't say he wasn't in the bathroom is because it would lead to further questioning, speculation, etc. And anything he says can be brought into the Reno situation. That's why lawyers tell him to just not say anything at all.

I'm sure Phillyesq could shed more light on this.

papillon
08-05-2010, 08:25 AM

For you not to be there, you sure seem to find a way to assume the worst about the young lady. You seem so adamant about defending Ben. It is very possible that Ben took advantage of the young lady. It is possible that Ben did not do anything wrong. Why defend anyone at all if you were not there? The problem with that stance is people form their own opinions and conclusion based on what happened. Ben and a drunk woman he just met in the bathroom? Anything that happened after that is he said, she said. Ben should not had been in that bathroom with her in the first place. It should be fairly easy to understand why he should not had been in there with her.

Based on Ben's statements and what appears to be a new attitude, I believe he now realizes the type person he had become. If you believe that Ben was an angel, that is your choice. Just like it's someone else's choice to believe that Ben had gotten out of control. I believe the owners felt he was out of control. Who knows what might eventually happen if he continued down that path? They probably felt talking did not appear to work for Ben. That's probably why they felt the need to suspend Ben.

If the suspension woke him up, it's a good thing.

There it is, if you weren't there you it's impossible to disclaim one side of the story and proclaim the other. I've been saying this all along, not sure what Ben did or didn't do that night, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't anything that would make his family proud. I'm not sure what the girl did or didn't do, but I'm fairly certain it was something that wouldn't make her family proud.

Ben is a high profile personality with a lot to lose and she is a college student with only her reputation to lose in small town in Georgia. Ben has to know better than to put himself in a potentially volatile situation, regardless of whether the girl was DTF or not.

Should Ben have been punished? By the letter of the law, no, he committed no crime; but by the standards (no matter how arbitrary or nebulous they are) that Goodell seems to be using he probably deserved 2 games.

It may not be fair to the Steelers, their fans or to Ben, but it is what it is and Ben is impressing Goodell right now. So, there's a good chance it will be reduced to a 4 game suspension and that's the best us fans can hope for. Anything less than 4 games is icing on the cake.

Pappy

grotonsteel
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3s8ra06u]

If Ben wasnt in the bathroom, there is no lawyer on the planet that would tell him to keep quiet. That is beyond absurd.

Lets see, Ben is just sipin beers with ten or 15 people and out of the blue some crazy chick invents some story that he raped her in the bathroom. Ben would deny it before even SPEAKING TO A LAWYER.

The whole incident dies right there D.

No wonder you think Ben is such a victim. Heck he can be anywhere out in public and a chick can accuse him of rape when people KNOW he wasnt ever alone with her.

Heck, even Crash knows better than to question the obvious fact Ben was in the bathroom. (btw I must say Crashs scenario seems very possible based on the known facts, I just dont see how anybody can be sure).

As far as "thinking the worst" that would be saying he raped her. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT. I simply dont know.

Back at ya D. Nobody is doing what you say. The only one who claim to "KNOW" what happened, are convinced he is incapable of wrongdoing. The rest of us just admit we dont know.

We ALL hope he is innocent. My biggest issue with Ben is that he again put himself in a situation where we just dont KNOW.

I for one will be elated if he learns from this and avoid similar situations in the future. If it takes a suspension for him to wise up yeah, I am happy he got suspended.[/quote:3s8ra06u]

Mr Holier than Thou has spoken.. :roll:

cruzer8
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Isn't there someone here who's posted a few times that the accuser comes from a well known family in the Atlanta area and has a pretty tawdry rep already and the family doesn't want it to become nationally known?

grotonsteel
08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Isn't there someone here who's posted a few times that the accuser comes from a well known family in the Atlanta area and has a pretty tawdry rep already and the family doesn't want it to become nationally known?

Exactly. I mean that girl is not there even on internet. No twitter/facebook account. In fact her facebook account was deleted within hours of the incident.

I really hope she is exposed in the media. World deserves to know what kinda s^&t she is..well atleast Big Ben supporters...

Captain Lemming
08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
It's not even worth continuing. Keep on assuming.
Assuming? That sir would be you. You "assume" Ben was falsely accused. I dont know what happened.

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, but what I am CERTAIN of is that the stories from the 3 SoHo's are wildly inconsistent. When the GA DA saw that "evidence" he knew he didn't have a case.

It's a shame you guys can't see that and it's a shame you're ok with someone being punished for something they were falsely accused of just because it might help "your" football team going forward.

Look at the statements in red. The girls arent the only ones who are "wildly inconsistent". :D

Btw, the reason Ben can't say he wasn't in the bathroom is because it would lead to further questioning, speculation, etc. And anything he says can be brought into the Reno situation. That's why lawyers tell him to just not say anything at all.

This is ridiculous. If Ben wasnt in the bathroom, others can confirm it. That would effectively KILL speculation about what happened that night. The fact that Ben isnt denying it CREATES speculation.

If Ben was never even in the bathroom the Reno accuser BENEFITS from Bens silence because until Ben denies it her people can build a case around a claim that he did it again.

Multiple witnesses confirm he wasnt in the bathroom and Georgia case does nothing to aid the Reno case.

cruzer8
08-05-2010, 10:41 AM
The "witness" statements that were released back the thought that Ben was falsely accused.

Aren't there a couple of folks on here who work in the law profession who can elaborate on why Ben has to remain silent on any and all details from that night?

I am firmly in the camp that believes Ben did nothing wrong and no one has posted anything that will change my mind on that. He went out to a bar, had a good time, was accused of something, the DA couldn't prosecute due to a lack of any credible evidence, end of story.

ikestops85
08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
I certainly don't think Ben was an altar boy at the bar that night but I also don't believe he assaulted that women. All of this is my opinion and based on things I have heard and read.

I don't believe he should have been suspended based on supposition and not fact. I know that we will not be able to change the suspension but that isn't a reason to just accept it.

This is a steeler message board and we have the god given right to b!tch and moan on it. It's what we do!! :) We complain about Arians play calling but we don't make the decision whether he stays or goes so why should this suspension about Ben be any different? I feel the suspension was unwarranted and want to express that. Other feel it was warranted and want to express that. But don't tell me to shut up because we can't do anything about it.

I do have to laugh at those who feel this will "change" Ben. Ben is going to be Ben and I don't think this incident will change who he is. If he is a douche bag he will most likely remain a douche bag. If he isn't one then he probably won't become one. Will he become a better QB? I hope so ... but I believe he would become a better QB with or without this incident occuring.

I don't like the hipocracy that is Roger Goodell and to a certain extent the Rooneys. This is just my opinion though and it won't change a damn thing.

grotonsteel
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I certainly don't think Ben was an altar boy at the bar that night but I also don't believe he assaulted that women. All of this is my opinion and based on things I have heard and read.

I don't believe he should have been suspended based on supposition and not fact. I know that we will not be able to change the suspension but that isn't a reason to just accept it.

This is a steeler message board and we have the god given right to b!tch and moan on it. It's what we do!! :) We complain about Arians play calling but we don't make the decision whether he stays or goes so why should this suspension about Ben be any different? I feel the suspension was unwarranted and want to express that. Other feel it was warranted and want to express that. But don't tell me to shut up because we can't do anything about it.

I do have to laugh at those who feel this will "change" Ben. Ben is going to be Ben and I don't think this incident will change who he is. If he is a douche bag he will most likely remain a douche bag. If he isn't one then he probably won't become one. Will he become a better QB? I hope so ... but I believe he would become a better QB with or without this incident occuring.

I don't like the hipocracy that is Roger Goodell and to a certain extent the Rooneys. This is just my opinion though and it won't change a damn thing.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

+1

feltdizz
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM

might be the same guy who just posted the ashy gray Ben story... :stirpot