View Full Version : Several Steelers arrive in fleet of MINI Coopers

fordfixer
07-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Several Steelers arrive in fleet of MINI Coopers
Saturday, July 31, 2010
By Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/20100731steelers3_500.jpg

LATROBE -- The big guys have a thing for the little cars.

Last year, outside linebacker James Harrison arrived at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe for training camp driving a white SmartCar and took coach Mike Tomlin for a ride. This year, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his offensive line rolled up to the dorm in MINI Coopers.

Harrison drove a black Lincoln sedan Friday, but cars were in the minority. Most players arrived in large sport utility vehicles with tinted windows. Defensive lineman Chris Hoke drove a gray Mercedes, and inside linebackers James Farrior and Larry Foote both arrived in SUVs.

One of the few cars to rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, a third-round draft pick from Southern Methodist. Sanders drove a white Mercedes CLS 550, which he called his dream car. He has had it three months.

"I said when I make it that's the car I was going to get and I got the opportunity to get it, so I got it," he said.

Wide receiver Stefan Logan drove a black Dodge Charger with gray stripes.

"I have a nice thing with cars," he said. "I like cars, toys, stuff like that. I left my truck back in Pittsburgh and brought my car up here."

Logan has had the Charger for about six months and got it because he wanted a change from his truck.

"I wanted something to drive every day and I don't normally drive my truck all the time," he said. "I normally just put it in the garage. I liked the Charger, I thought it was a nice car. If you get one, you got to make sure you get one with a Hemi [engine] in it."

Sanders and Logan both began a new experience Friday. Sanders is in his first NFL training camp but spent the last month in Pittsburgh preparing for it. He ran routes and caught passes from Roethlisberger and quarterback Charlie Batch and also studied the playbook.

"I saw it as an advantage. I had the film room, I had the coaches, I had the athletic training," he said. "I had [conditioning coordinator Garrett Giemont], who's been training guys going on 27 years. That's kind of the reason why I did it."

Logan spent most of last season, his rookie year, as a kick-returner and special-teams player. This year, he said, he is preparing to see more time as a running back and wide receiver.

"You got to keep your thoughts and plays in mind when you're a receiver as far as what you've got to do, reading defenses," he said regarding the philosophy change needed to play receiver.

"Coach Tomlin, he just wants to see how much I can handle. I'm willing to take on that challenge and show what I can do."

And with that he entered the dorm, along with the other players leaving their dark Tahoes and Yukons parked on the curb.

Logan also has a Tahoe, but said his is the best on the team.

"It's all white, got 26 [inch rims] on it. It's what I call the cocaine white, it's ready to go. Coming from Miami that's how we do it," the south Florida native joked.

Sanders likes his teammates' wheels, but keeps them in perspective.

"I'll take everybody on my team's car," he said. "Everybody has a nice car. But a car's just a car at the same time."

Unless it's your dream car.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10212/10 ... z0vETDoN00 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10212/1076702-66.stm#ixzz0vETDoN00)

ANPSTEEL
07-31-2010, 05:04 AM
jeeze

i cant believe i just read that entire thing...

someone- hit me.

:wft

Jooser
07-31-2010, 07:27 AM
jeeze

i cant believe i just read that entire thing...

someone- hit me.

:wft

YUP! :Agree http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/clubs.gif

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Cocaine white? Seriously??? :HeadBanger

I liked hearing about Sanders spending the last month working out and studying at the Steeler headquarters to get ready for camp, but buying a Mercedes CLS 550 three months ago makes it sound like he thinks he made it already, when he hasn't even been on the field for a single play yet. As a 3rd round pick, his guaranteed signing bonus was just over a half million dollars...do you really want to blow $75,000-$100,000 of that right away on a d@mn car (which isn't an investment whatsoever...cars depreciate by a significant amount as soon as they are driven off the lot).

I'd say a rookie 3rd round pick should buy himself a nice car, but wait on the dream car until you actually accomplish something in this league as a reward to yourself if you become a starter or get voted to your first Pro Bowl or if you get the second huge contract that could potentially set you for life (the money in these rookie deals can run out surprisingly quick unless you are a top 10 overall pick, and people don't comprehend that they might not make it in this league and that may be the biggest payday you ever get...and a massive chunk of it was blown on a car...not the smartest idea in the world).

Sugar
07-31-2010, 11:34 AM

do you really want to blow $75,000-$100,000 of that right away on a d@mn car (which isn't an investment whatsoever...cars depreciate by a significant amount as soon as they are driven off the lot).

Heck yeah you do!!! It's not like he bought a Ferrari anyway. This kid has one chance in his life to do these cool things. It might continue if he makes the team and it might not if something happens (injury, can't beat out the other players). The kid is working hard, let him have his fun without some kind of baptist-style guilt trip.

Kid
07-31-2010, 11:37 AM

I liked hearing about Sanders spending the last month working out and studying at the Steeler headquarters to get ready for camp, but buying a Mercedes CLS 550 three months ago makes it sound like he thinks he made it already, when he hasn't even been on the field for a single play yet. As a 3rd round pick, his guaranteed signing bonus was just over a half million dollars...do you really want to blow $75,000-$100,000 of that right away on a d@mn car (which isn't an investment whatsoever...cars depreciate by a significant amount as soon as they are driven off the lot).

I'd say a rookie 3rd round pick should buy himself a nice car, but wait on the dream car until you actually accomplish something in this league as a reward to yourself if you become a starter or get voted to your first Pro Bowl or if you get the second huge contract that could potentially set you for life (the money in these rookie deals can run out surprisingly quick unless you are a top 10 overall pick, and people don't comprehend that they might not make it in this league and that may be the biggest payday you ever get...and a massive chunk of it was blown on a car...not the smartest idea in the world).

That mentality explains why most nfl guys are bankrupt shortly after retirement.

Iron Shiek
07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I can see where Sanders is coming from in trying to get that nice car. From what i've read about athletes before, your car is merely a status symbol. So I can see why he wanted to get that car and fit in. But I agree with Ruthless that its not the smartest investment. Hopefully, he will be a smashing success and will be able to afford 2 or 3 more of them in the future!

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Man atleast Sanders should have gone for Mercedes S63 AMG ......its one smooth ride....

Sugar
07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Man atleast Sanders should have gone for Mercedes S63 AMG ......its one smooth ride....

How about the SL65AMG Black Series? That is a sick ride if you're gonna buy a Merc.

Anyway, he didn't buy the car to be a "smart investment." He bought the car because he wanted a cool ride. Even if he blows his knee the first day and never plays a down of NFL football and ends up working at a call center he will at least have been drafted into the NFL buy the Steelers and he will still have had a sweet ride. Most people never get either one.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-31-2010, 01:36 PM
If his deal was for 500k, wouldn't the government snag about 40% of that? Lets say he had 300k let, he blew a third of it on a car.

If I got handed 300k I would buy a nice ride, but not the dream car. I agree I would let that linger and drive me to reach a goal so when I reached it the car would be a reward.

First Contract car = http://www.lincoln.com/mkz/2011mkzhybrid.asp

Second Contract car = http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/#/phantom_coupe/

Sugar
07-31-2010, 02:25 PM
If his deal was for 500k, wouldn't the government snag about 40% of that? Lets say he had 300k let, he blew a third of it on a car.

If I got handed 300k I would buy a nice ride, but not the dream car. I agree I would let that linger and drive me to reach a goal so when I reached it the car would be a reward.

He didn't buy anything all that exotic. No doubt the Merc is a sweet ride, but nothing like a Ferrari, Lambo or Bentley GT, etc. If you're gonna blow 1/3 of your money on a car, your young 20's is the time to do it.

I'm troubled by the other guys though. Mini Cooper's? Really? I guess playing football doesn't give a person taste. Does driving a chick car make you more manly somehow? Maybe those vets really are trying to save for a lockout.

Iron Shiek
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM

He didn't buy anything all that exotic. No doubt the Merc is a sweet ride, but nothing like a Ferrari, Lambo or Bentley GT, etc. If you're gonna blow 1/3 of your money on a car, your young 20's is the time to do it.

I'm troubled by the other guys though. Mini Cooper's? Really? I guess playing football doesn't give a person taste. Does driving a chick car make you more manly somehow? Maybe those vets really are trying to save for a lockout.

I seriously doubt all those guys really own those minis. Its gotta be some kind of advertising campaign by a local dealer or something. Just like Harrison in the Smartcar last year...maybe I'm wrong though.

SteelerNation1
07-31-2010, 03:42 PM

http://images.travelpod.com/users/k_in_france/2.1242058680.raining-on-our-parade.jpg

rpmpit
07-31-2010, 05:06 PM
What's funny about the Coopers to me is that my sister just started dating a guy who drives one. Haven't met him yet but my sis told me he's about 6'-2", around 250. Apparently there's more room in there than I thought!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
What's funny about the Coopers to me is that my sister just started dating a guy who drives one. Haven't met him yet but my sis told me he's about 6'-2", around 250. Apparently there's more room in there than I thought!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phHZ2HOkn8s

Sorry for just the link...embedding disabled. :(

As for the Mercedes, sure he can afford it even if it is 1/3 of what he got...but how is he ever gonna afford the repair bills if he doesn't make it??? :shock:

feltdizz
07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
A Benz has pretty good resale value. He should have leased one. Some people really see their worth in the car they drive.