View Full Version : Interview: Roethlisberger seeking forgiveness and a chance

fordfixer
07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Interview: Roethlisberger seeking forgiveness and a chance to prove himself
Steelers quarterback looking ahead to training camp with apprehension and hope
Friday, July 30, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076627-66.stm

As he drove toward Saint Vincent College today in a MINI Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger suddenly felt frightened. It wasn't the car, it wasn't the specter of the media horde awaiting him on campus, and it wasn't the impending arrival of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week.

The Steelers quarterback suddenly worried about the reaction fans would have toward him tomorrow afternoon when he takes the field for a public practice for the first time since a woman accused him of sexual assault in March.

"Driving up here today I was talking to my dad, and for the first time it hit me about what is about to happen and - who knows? I got scared. I really did," Mr. Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during a 25-minute interview this afternoon in a campus dorm room.

Will it be cheers or jeers?

"I don't know what is going to happen. I am sure I will get a little bit of both. I hope it is mostly good. I guess that is what makes you human, if you are scared, and that is what my dad told me."

Mr. Roethlisberger, giving his first lengthy print interview since Mr. Goodell doled out a four- to six-game suspension for his antics in March, said he would try to follow the advice his father gave him on the cell phone today.

"He said it is OK to be scared and afraid of those things, and to just be yourself and be human; and that is what hit me coming up here. I don't know what is going to happen, and I am scared."

He said he would have the same anxious moments before his next game at Heinz Field Aug. 14.

"I am hoping and praying that I get a warm reception. I hope people want to give me another chance and that they will give me that chance to prove to them .... It would tear me apart if [booing] happened at home. On the road we are used to it anyway. I can block that out; but it touches my heart because I love Pittsburgh. I'm a 'yinzer.' I don't say it, but I am a yinzer. I feel like they are home to me, they are family. So I feel like I let my family down through all of this, so that is why I hope family forgives."
'Give me a chance'

Mr. Roethlisberger repeated many times during today's interview his hope that fans will give him a second chance, that they will judge him by his deeds from now on rather than what reportedly went on in Milledgeville, Ga., in the early hours of March 5.

"I have made a lot of mistakes. I know that, and I will be the first to admit it. I have asked for forgiveness. I know that I have probably hurt people, and I am so sorry to anyone I have ever hurt. But I am just hoping people can forgive me and give me another chance. I'm not asking for it to be an overnight miracle. I know no one is going to read this article or see an interview and say, 'I forgive him.' But give me a chance, that is all I ask for."

While he has promised to change, to become again the person he says he was years earlier, he bemoaned the fact he could not tell his side of the story from the incident in Georgia.

The 20-year-old college student and her friends claimed Mr. Roethlisberger sexually assaulted the woman in a nightclub bathroom. The woman, though, could not recall details and later asked prosecutors not to charge Mr. Roethlisberger. After a lengthy investigation, Georgia authorities said they would not pursue charges. However, Mr. Goodell, citing a "pattern of behavior and bad judgments" by Mr. Roethlisberger, suspended him for the first six games of the season, which could be reduced to four if the quarterback follows a path the commissioner set for him.

Mr. Roethlisberger said he felt lowest about two weeks after the incident when he read and heard the charges being made against him by the woman and her friends but could not respond because of advice from his lawyers.

"I want to tell the truth, I wanted to tell my side and let everyone know what really happened," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "Because all you ever heard was her side of the story, and it was so out there, I mean ridiculously out there. People who know the truth were like, just shaking their head. I mean it was so ridiculous."

He also labeled the sexual assault accusations in a civil suit filed by a Nevada woman the year before as "ridiculous."
A lot for the community

His lawyers advised him that if he "lashed out" at the accuser in Georgia, authorities might just take it to trial. But Mr. Roethlisberger realized he has lost a lot more.

He has lost money, endorsements, reputation and fans.

"To me, it's more about losing fans. That's what hurt the most."

What also hurts is reading what he says are exaggerated stories quoting people who accused him of walking out on restaurant and bar tabs, refusing to pay cover charges and tipping poorly, if at all.

"When some of those stories came out they were hurtful because some of them were blatantly made up, and that is just unfortunate," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "I would never want to rob the average Pittsburgh person and walk out on a bar tab or a food tab or not leave a tip. I think if you ask people [who] know, I am a pretty good tipper.

"I think people assume that just because I get up and leave a table without actually seeing me pay the bill, they think I just got up and walked out. I have great friends, though, [who] aren't afraid to pay the bill for me. But that is the unfortunate part, that a bystander over there could overlook something. But if they say that, I'm sorry. I've never been that way, and I hope they can forgive me."

Forgiveness is what Mr. Roethlisberger seeks, and he promised he will give people reason to forgive. He said he has followed Mr. Goodell's orders "to just stay out of trouble and do whatever you can to keep your name out of the paper, good or bad."

"I've always done a lot of things for the community, but I have just never been one to tell people about it because I don't think that is why you do it," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "So I kept doing things like that. Went to the Salvation Army, Ronald McDonald House to serve dinner and went to the Caring House to talk to families who have lost family members ....

"I'm just trying to be smart with everything I am doing. I try not to even put myself in a situation that could be questionable. You still have to live your life. You can't stop living, so I still go to a restaurant but I don't go as often as I would. I haven't gone out. I have had the O-lineman up to my house and we have grilled out a few times. I have had other teammates and rookies up, so things like that. But I mostly just hang out with my family and friends."
'Under a microscope'

He made the news once since the end of spring practices June 10, when a woman who lived along an Ohio golf course accused him of urinating next to a tree. Others said it was not Mr. Roethlisberger, but someone else in his foursome. Police did not pursue it.

It was another instance, however, that showed Mr. Roethlisberger how much his behavior is under the spotlight.

"That wasn't even me; that's the unfortunate part. You think you do everything right, and even if you are with somebody and they do something wrong or whatever, regardless, they see your name, and they think it is you. It's tough. I have been under a microscope, and that is just the way I have been living the last few months."

Mr. Roethlisberger acknowledges he got full of himself as he experienced the successes through the years, and he has apologized to people for that, including to some members of the news media.

"People make you this idol or figure, and you start to believe it, and that is a shame because that is not who I am or who I was raised to be," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "I am embarrassed to even for a second think that that was who I really was. On the field, that is one thing. You have to be that way. On the field you want to be the best [who] has ever played the game. But off the field you have to be a different person."

He said he had no idea what it's going to be like going through training camp and the preseason and then sitting out at least the first month of the regular season.

"Never, ever, never in a million years did I think I would have to miss a game for anything, even injuries. But to do something that the commissioner feels like he needed to discipline me over, I never thought the day would happen, and it is very painful for me to not be out there with my guys .... It is going to be so hard, and it is going to drive me to be the best that I have ever been. I have already been doing that this off-season. I am in the best shape that I have ever been in, and I know that I have four more weeks, five more weeks, who knows how long, but I am going to keep training and do whatever I can."

His apprehension over the reaction from fans tomorrow turned to a wish of what the next 10 years will be like for him. He said he would like the years to turn out the way they have for another athlete accused but not convicted of sexual assault.

"Like Kobe Bryant," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "He is now the most popular athlete in the world."

But there is more to the wish.

"Win championships, get married and start a family here in Pittsburgh. Hopefully, I will never leave here. So I am hoping, maybe in 10 years, I will be playing, God willing .... But just to be here, and [have] people forget all about [the old Ben] and say, 'He was one of the nicest guys, he was just a great guy.' "

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/10 ... z0vEIsqHi4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076627-66.stm#ixzz0vEIsqHi4)

SteelCrazy
07-31-2010, 01:30 AM
I feel for him...hoPe most fans give him a warm welcome

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Such a big shame that media played only one side of the story..never gave Big Ben a chance to explain...

Shawn
07-31-2010, 01:49 AM
I also feel for him. Not because I see him as a victim but that he had to endure pain to learn some valuable lessons. Obviously, I couldn't see the affect or hear his tone but it read sincere. Stuff like this snow balls and he got caught up in it. Do I believe he put himself in a bad position? Yes. Do, I think we as fans need to punish him for it? No. If I was at training camp I would be one of the ones cheering for him. Why? Because, it's tough to humble yourself. It's even tougher to get humbled. He's been through it. But, I'm a believer that nothing happens randomly. I believe he will learn the lesson that he was meant to learn and become a better man for it. For some of us thicker heads pain is the only catalyst for change.

Flasteel
07-31-2010, 02:19 AM
This is the reaction I was hoping would come to the surface. It's almost scary to think that he can re-dedicate himself to becoming better on the field and elevate his game. If he does...look out NFL.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Such a big shame that media played only one side of the story..never gave Big Ben a chance to explain...

Ehh..I'm not sure they didn't give him the chance. The media does what the media does. Ben couldn't talk to the press for legal reasons.

Crash
07-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Shut up Shawn. The media in that town, specifically the PG, Trib, and ESPN 1250, raked him over the coals by printing half truths, rumors, and speculation as "fact".

ESPN did it today, twice in fact.

#1:

ESPN News anchor at the desk on Ben's opinion of the drive up to camp:

He quotes Ben "Long, in a little car with Willie Colon (Ben and his linemen decided to drive up in mini-Cooper's)".

Anchor then says: Ben didn't say anything to the media after that.

Which is 100% inaccurate.

http://kdka.com/video/?id=74744

That segment doesn't even MENTION Willie Colon, so obviously his talking to them was even longer than the clip above.

#2: ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger is already trying to reshape his battered image, arriving at the Pittsburgh Steelers training camp in a subcompact car rather than an oversized SUV or a loaded-up truck.

Wrong answer McFly. It was Max Starks (because of a new business venture) who came up with the idea for Ben and the linemen to show up in Latrobe in Mini-Coopers. It had nothing to do with Ben's image at all.

TWO TOTAL FABRICATIONS ON A NATIONALLY WELL KNOWN SPORTS WEBSITE/NETWORK!

And the problem for Ben is? Some Yinzer will take those inaccuracies and believe them to be true.

Mark Madden and KDKA's Bob Pompeani were the only two who maintained a sense of balance in the reporting of this issue throughout.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Shut up Shawn. The media in that town, specifically the PG, Trib, and ESPN 1250, raked him over the coals by printing half truths, rumors, and speculation as "fact".

#1:

He quotes Ben "Long, in a little car with Willie Colon (Ben and his linemen decided to drive up in mini-Cooper's)".

That segment doesn't even MENTION Willie Colon, so obviously his talking to them was even longer than the clip above.

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger is already trying to reshape his battered image, arriving at the Pittsburgh Steelers training camp in a subcompact car rather than an oversized SUV or a loaded-up truck.

Wrong answer McFly. It was Max Starks (because of a new business venture) who came up with the idea for Ben and the linemen to show up in Latrobe in Mini-Coopers. It had nothing to do with Ben's image at all.

And the problem for Ben is? Some Yinzer will take those inaccuracies and believe them to be true.

Mark Madden and KDKA's Bob Pompeani were the only two who maintained a sense of balance in the reporting of this issue throughout.

There is no need to be rude or upset. I didn't say the media didn't rake Ben over the coals. That's what the media does...I'm not condoning it. But, to say Ben didn't have a chance to give his side of the story is completely false. Ben had every chance to give his side of the story. He couldn't for legal reasons.

Just a question...what is Ben being profusely apologetic for? Because, he believes he has reason to apologize. Do you think he would be asking for second chances if he were an angel in that bar? Probably not.

Jooser
07-31-2010, 07:32 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn43/serii123321/forgiveness.png

The Man of Steel
07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/TheRockPics/humble-pie.jpg

BURGH86STEEL
07-31-2010, 08:47 AM

#1:

There is no need to be rude or upset. I didn't say the media didn't rake Ben over the coals. That's what the media does...I'm not condoning it. But, to say Ben didn't have a chance to give his side of the story is completely false. Ben had every chance to give his side of the story. He couldn't for legal reasons.

Just a question...what is Ben being profusely apologetic for? Because, he believes he has reason to apologize. Do you think he would be asking for second chances if he were an angel in that bar? Probably not.

The best way to keep one's self out of the media spot light is not do anything that garners attention. Ben's done some things and placed himself in situations that grabbed their attention. Now he has to live with the repercussions of those actions.

Ben knows he did not live up to the values and standards of a man in his position.

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 09:07 AM
While he has promised to change, to become again the person he says he was years earlier, he bemoaned the fact he could not tell his side of the story from the incident in Georgia.

The 20-year-old college student and her friends claimed Mr. Roethlisberger sexually assaulted the woman in a nightclub bathroom. The woman, though, could not recall details and later asked prosecutors not to charge Mr. Roethlisberger. After a lengthy investigation, Georgia authorities said they would not pursue charges. However, Mr. Goodell, citing a "pattern of behavior and bad judgments" by Mr. Roethlisberger, suspended him for the first six games of the season, which could be reduced to four if the quarterback follows a path the commissioner set for him.

Mr. Roethlisberger said he felt lowest about two weeks after the incident when he read and heard the charges being made against him by the woman and her friends but could not respond because of advice from his lawyers.

"I want to tell the truth, I wanted to tell my side and let everyone know what really happened," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "Because all you ever heard was her side of the story, and it was so out there, I mean ridiculously out there. People who know the truth were like, just shaking their head. I mean it was so ridiculous."

What also hurts is reading what he says are exaggerated stories quoting people who accused him of walking out on restaurant and bar tabs, refusing to pay cover charges and tipping poorly, if at all.

"When some of those stories came out they were hurtful because some of them were blatantly made up, and that is just unfortunate," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "I would never want to rob the average Pittsburgh person and walk out on a bar tab or a food tab or not leave a tip. I think if you ask people [who] know, I am a pretty good tipper.

"I think people assume that just because I get up and leave a table without actually seeing me pay the bill, they think I just got up and walked out. I have great friends, though, [who] aren't afraid to pay the bill for me. But that is the unfortunate part, that a bystander over there could overlook something. But if they say that, I'm sorry. I've never been that way, and I hope they can forgive me."

Some of us have understood this all along. Others just believe what they read in the headlines and assume the worst.

steelblood
07-31-2010, 09:45 AM
I've never really liked Ben's attitude. I always found him cocky and often disingenuous when trying to be humble. But, I like this attitude. As terrible as this has been, maybe it will be good for Ben in the end.

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Ehh..I'm not sure they didn't give him the chance. The media does what the media does. Ben couldn't talk to the press for legal reasons.

My apologizes..it did not come the right way.....

What i meant an innocent guy was lynched by media mob..

grotonsteel
07-31-2010, 10:04 AM

What do you expect him to say...????

To me this statement says it all:

Again i have said day one i trust Big Ben over that sl^& from Georgia...anytime anyday.

An innocent guy was punished...NFL got the wrong guy...and A-hole commish can rot in hell for that...

feltdizz
07-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Again i have said day one i trust Big Ben over that sl^& from Georgia...anytime anyday.

An innocent guy was punished...NFL got the wrong guy...and A-hole commish can rot in hell for that...

it's never been about innocence vs guilt. Being asked to trust Ben over a chick.... AGAIN, is the reason he was punished.

...and both sides can say "what do you expect Ben to say?"

He was expected to DO all the right things after last offseason... after the peeing golf course incident hopefully he realizes everything and everyone around him can unfairly be linked to him. It's crazy how fame and money can hold you hostage from the everyday things we take for granted.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 01:19 PM

Let me paraphrase what I think Ben said in that article.

Ben: It's utterly ridiculous to think I raped that chick. If anything it was the other way around. She was all over me all night long. I said no...I don't want to go back to your place earlier in the night. But, ya know a few beers down the road and I lost my head. We did some stuff even though I knew better. I let my friends, family and fans down because I knew this wouldn't end well but I did it anyhow. I screwed up...again. Forgive me...and yes this time I actually mean it.
Is Ben a criminal? I don't believe there is anyway he raped that girl. He was horney and drunk and didn't realize he wasn't a 20 yo college student anymore. He is the 100 million dollar franchise QB with a HUGE target on his back and he knew better. He was baited and walked right into the trap.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 01:22 PM

it's never been about innocence vs guilt. Being asked to trust Ben over a chick.... AGAIN, is the reason he was punished.

...and both sides can say "what do you expect Ben to say?"

He was expected to DO all the right things after last offseason... after the peeing golf course incident hopefully he realizes everything and everyone around him can unfairly be linked to him. It's crazy how fame and money can hold you hostage from the everyday things we take for granted.

$$$

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Have no fear, Ben: Steelers fans still love you

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 31, 2010

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/07/B.%20Roethlisberger6-thumb-250x185-17131.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger admitted on Friday to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the quarterback "got scared" on his drive to training camp, wondering how Steelers fans would greet him.

"I guess that is what makes you human, if you are scared, and that is what my dad told me," Roethlisberger said.

It turns out he didn't need to worry.

Roethlisberger was greeted by "huge cheers" as he walked to practice on Saturday. "People went bananas as he walked to practice. No dissent among these fans," Judy Battista of the New York Times wrote on Twitter. "Women were screaming for him just like the men."

The audience at the first day of training camp includes the most diehard, loyal Steelers fans possible. But we do think the warm reception will be a sign of things to come in Pittsburgh.

No matter what Steelers fans felt in April, soon there will be games to win. Roethlisberger is one of their own.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -love-you/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/31/have-no-fear-ben-steelers-fans-still-love-you/)

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 06:17 PM

Ben: It's utterly ridiculous to think I raped that chick. If anything it was the other way around. She was all over me all night long. I said no...I don't want to go back to your place earlier in the night. But, ya know a few beers down the road and I lost my head. We did some stuff even though I knew better. I let my friends, family and fans down because I knew this wouldn't end well but I did it anyhow. I screwed up...again. Forgive me...and yes this time I actually mean it.

OMFG...never go full retard.

grotonsteel
08-01-2010, 11:30 AM

I don't think Big Ben is trying to say what you are thinking. Big Ben did not have sex with her or tried to have sex with her.

Even the bodyguards said Big Ben was never alone with her and did not go to bathroom.

Only the sl^& sorority sisters said that Big Ben was with her in the bathroom. BTW they were not in the VIP room.

In the end it all comes to this who you believe. I trust Big Ben you trust the girl.

Crash
08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
More from Ed....

His (Ben's) signing autographs and giving away his shoes, by the way, is nothing new. BB has done that since Iíve seen him in his first camp in 2004. I believe it was two years ago where I first saw him sign his shoes and give them away. That is something I do not understand, from a practical standpoint. I mean, do you know how long it takes to break in a new pair of shoes? I get blisters the first few days.

As you by now know, Roethlisberger sat down with me after reporting for training camp Friday for 25 minutes. We met in a neutral corner, a dorm room used as an office by the PR staff. He was accommodating and I thought forthcoming on some things. I was a bit surprised he would even speak about anything that had to do with Georgia, but he did.

Because of the length of the interview and limited newspaper space, some of the more minor details were not included in the story.

For example, he told me he would keep his home in Georgia, which is a decent drive from Milledgeville on a lake/golf resort (Bruce Arians also has a place there). He said he thought of getting out but received so much encouragement from his neighbors and other people around the resort that heís decided to stay (I would not expect him to visit Milledgeville anytime again).

He also hinted strongly at having a new, steady girlfriend, who is not from Pittsburgh. In fact, his eyes lit up when he spoke about her.

One impression I got from the interview is that Roethlisberger strongly believes in his innocence in whatever came down in Georgia. He talked about only the womanís and her friendsí side coming out (and none of her friends saw anything that happened) but could say nothing because of legal issues, which he explained.

I also think he feels heís been picked on by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but, again, he cannot say anything about it.

Heís taken a pounding, a big one from all sides and he probably deserved it. We donít know what happened in Georgia but at the very least, it was boorish and immature behavior from the time he knew the girls in the bar were underage and he still drank with them. The stories, however, did not stop there; they fanned out to Pittsburgh and to his native Findlay, Ohio, as reporters dug up opinions from regular citizens and purported instances of boorish behavior of a different kind. I will tell you from experience that you could do that with other star athletes as well.

Roethlisberger has a mountain to climb to reclaim his reputation and to me it will be fascinating to watch how or if he can do it.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 01:28 PM

I don't think Big Ben is trying to say what you are thinking. Big Ben did not have sex with her or tried to have sex with her.

Even the bodyguards said Big Ben was never alone with her and did not go to bathroom.

Only the sl^& sorority sisters said that Big Ben was with her in the bathroom. BTW they were not in the VIP room.

In the end it all comes to this who you believe. I trust Big Ben you trust the girl.

I trust Big Ben in the 4th quarter when we need a TD...but off the field I have no idea what the guy is like at 2am.

it's frustrating to have to trust Ben AGAIN for the second year in a row.

grotonsteel
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I trust Big Ben in the 4th quarter when we need a TD...but off the field I have no idea what the guy is like at 2am.

So you don't trust Big Ben for entire game??? Interesting. Who would you like to lead Steelers???

BTW no one is forcing you to support Big Ben..if it is frustrating for you to support Big Ben start supporting Tim Tebow. I heard that guy has very high standards off the field.

Maybe you need to go Latrobe and start booing.

feltdizz
08-01-2010, 02:39 PM

So you don't trust Big Ben for entire game??? Interesting. Who would you like to lead Steelers???

BTW no one is forcing you to support Big Ben..if it is frustrating for you to support Big Ben start supporting Tim Tebow. I heard that guy has very high standards off the field.

Maybe you need to go Latrobe and start booing.

FULL RETARD MOMENT RIGHT HERE!!!!

You are right... I don't trust him in the film room, weight room, OTA's, Latrobe, practice, preseason, pre-game, coin flip, 1st quarter, second quarter, half-time, 3rd quarter and any of the 4th quarter until we need a TD.

:wft dude... that was an extremely pathetic attempt to turn a positive into a negative. LOL.

That's like a person saying "Thanks for Dinner" and you turning around and saying "Just dinner? No thanks for the drinks and the dessert you ungrateful jerk?"

Shawn
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Fair enough but I don't believe Ben would be apologizing as profusely as he was apologizing if something didn't happen. To each their own...doesn't really matter now. As long as he stays out of the headlines and wins games I'm happy.

Sugar
08-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Fair enough but I don't believe Ben would be apologizing as profusely as he was apologizing if something didn't happen. To each their own...doesn't really matter now. As long as he stays out of the headlines and wins games I'm happy.

Unfortunately, he's in a position to have to beg for his supper or he gets at least 6 games out instead of four in the kennel. He's gonna say whatever massa wants because he wants to play.

What we know of Ben as a competitor doesn't make it hard to believe at all.

Shawn
08-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Unfortunately, he's in a position to have to beg for his supper or he gets at least 6 games out instead of four in the kennel. He's gonna say whatever massa wants because he wants to play.

What we know of Ben as a competitor doesn't make it hard to believe at all.

Sugar you could be entirely right. Both sides are speculating and the fact is no one really knows what happened. With that said, Ben's suspension in light of recent lack of suspensions is curious. I certainly don't believe it to be fair or even handed. I must agree with the opposing side on that point. I wouldn't group Vick in that category however.

grotonsteel
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
As long as he stays out of the headlines and wins games I'm happy.

To that :Cheers :tt2

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 12:29 AM
More from Ed....

His (Ben's) signing autographs and giving away his shoes, by the way, is nothing new. BB has done that since Iíve seen him in his first camp in 2004. I believe it was two years ago where I first saw him sign his shoes and give them away. That is something I do not understand, from a practical standpoint. I mean, do you know how long it takes to break in a new pair of shoes? I get blisters the first few days.

As you by now know, Roethlisberger sat down with me after reporting for training camp Friday for 25 minutes. We met in a neutral corner, a dorm room used as an office by the PR staff. He was accommodating and I thought forthcoming on some things. I was a bit surprised he would even speak about anything that had to do with Georgia, but he did.

Because of the length of the interview and limited newspaper space, some of the more minor details were not included in the story.

For example, he told me he would keep his home in Georgia, which is a decent drive from Milledgeville on a lake/golf resort (Bruce Arians also has a place there). He said he thought of getting out but received so much encouragement from his neighbors and other people around the resort that heís decided to stay (I would not expect him to visit Milledgeville anytime again).

He also hinted strongly at having a new, steady girlfriend, who is not from Pittsburgh. In fact, his eyes lit up when he spoke about her.

One impression I got from the interview is that Roethlisberger strongly believes in his innocence in whatever came down in Georgia. He talked about only the womanís and her friendsí side coming out (and none of her friends saw anything that happened) but could say nothing because of legal issues, which he explained.

I also think he feels heís been picked on by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but, again, he cannot say anything about it.

Heís taken a pounding, a big one from all sides and he probably deserved it. We donít know what happened in Georgia but at the very least, it was boorish and immature behavior from the time he knew the girls in the bar were underage and he still drank with them. The stories, however, did not stop there; they fanned out to Pittsburgh and to his native Findlay, Ohio, as reporters dug up opinions from regular citizens and purported instances of boorish behavior of a different kind. I will tell you from experience that you could do that with other star athletes as well.

Roethlisberger has a mountain to climb to reclaim his reputation and to me it will be fascinating to watch how or if he can do it.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.