PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Ben Get Suspended for Six Games??

ANPSTEEL
07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I recognize that we have multiple - ongoing- threads devoted to this "sort of" topic...

but they have gone way off track- and I wanted this idea to get some actual consideration...

So, why did Ben receive a 4 to 6 game suspension- when he was never even charge with a crime- and yet many other players who are- receive lesser suspensions.

I think many here agree that the Rooneys had a lot of influence in this suspension.

Lets take a look-

When trying to solve a crime or deduce a motive- there is a saying that applies to almost every situation... follow the money.

I am not going to get into the aspects of the "incident" in GA.

I'll just start with the fact that Ben has been accused of sexual assault, in small southern town.

So here are my thoughts, and maybe… the real reason Ben received the degree of punishment by the league- seemingly at the behest of the Rooneys.

Having been accused, in a highly publicized situation- where the local DA is almost certain to have a woody for "we're gonna get that guy" mentality...

Ben has two options:

1. Ben goes to court. The entire process lasts more than a year. During which Ben is continued to be dragged through the mud by the press, and the league/team almost certainly is forced to suspend Ben pending the outcome of the trial. Ben spends a lot of money, and loses a lot of money- and his reputation gets smeared far worse.

Also, there is the chance- no matter how slim, that he could go to jail. Min sentence in GA is 25 years for rape/sexual assault.

I think we can all agree, there is no way Ben could ever risk any chance of the case going to trial.

So- option two:

2. The best way to insure that this case never sees the light of a courthouse is to convince the accuser not to pursue.

How?

Pay her. As part of paying her, for her silence.- he has to sign documentation that stipulates he cannot discuss the “case” in the media in anyway. Specifically, in any manner that might defame the “accuser”- ie… he cannot defend himself.

Now the key here is: how much does he have to pay her??

My guess.. Whatever the dollar amount that equates to 4 game game checks.

Yep. I bet the Rooneys forked over the money for him… in return, the league suspended him, at the Rooney’s request, a comparable period of time to allow them to recoup the money paid to quite the witness. And if anything else comes up - or the Rooneys are not satisfied with the 4 week period- the extra 2 weeks stay on and they save another $800k +/-.

The end result:
Ben gets punished by the team & league.
The league is made out to look like it was taking a stand. That even one of it's brightest most popular players was not above it. If you want to put the race component in here- feel free. The league punished a big time white player.

The team does the right thing by it's new ownership contingency, and the fan base that was outraged. Hopefully, Ben is "scared straight" by this- and they get a re-commited QB.

Not that far fetched, is it?

papillon
07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure why the league suspended Ben for 6 games with it being reduced to 4 for proper behavior and personal conduct. The one thing about this whole case that I can't put my arms around is how the girl and her friends have managed not to be identified and have their pictures and names posted somewhere on the internet.

We live in a 24X7 media world where everyone with a camera or cell phone can get pictures published or posted on a website. How have these girls (specifically, the girl who accused Ben) been able to keep their names and pictures out of the media spotlight? I just don't see how this can be possible.

Pappy

stlrz d
07-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Crash can explain it better than I can so I'll defer to him.

Once the issue in Reno is settled I suspect Ben will speak of GA. I saw the videos of the statements giving by those three chicks. No way Ben paid anyone off. He didn't have to.

siss
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I wondered that myself for awhile. And the conclusion I have to is that the Georgia DA would have had to have been in on the deal in order to pay her off. And as well all know, Mr. Bright ripped Ben a new one. Because then he could have pursued a tampering with an investigation charge. Now I don't know how true this is, but from what I understand if there had been something in it for Ol' Freddy then he might have been so harsh to Ben. As for the girl, I believe that her parents are very generous donators to political parties in Atlanta. So really if you want to know why her name hasn't been leaked, you should follow that money. Plus Bright said that he would not have continued even without her co-operation.

papillon
07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I wondered that myself for awhile. And the conclusion I have to is that the Georgia DA would have had to have been in on the deal in order to pay her off. And as well all know, Mr. Bright ripped Ben a new one. Because then he could have pursued a tampering with an investigation charge. Now I don't know how true this is, but from what I understand if there had been something in it for Ol' Freddy then he might have been so harsh to Ben. As for the girl, I believe that her parents are very generous donators to political parties in Atlanta. So really if you want to know why her name hasn't been leaked, you should follow that money. Plus Bright said that he would not have continued even without her co-operation.

Even political money can't cover up an old boyfriend with an axe to grind, another woman who may have had a boyfriend taken by Ben's accuser, anyone trying to make a buck by leaking her name, etc There's just too many reasons and means to get her name out there in this day and age. Sorority parties where she's drunk as a skunk (we know this is a possibility) and people are taking pictures is another avenue for her picture to be leaked.

The town or city of Milledgeville, GA has to know her, why and how are they all keeping quiet? It's odd, that's all, McNulty was in the news shortly after the whole Reno incident.

Pappy

grotonsteel
07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
The best way to insure that this case never sees the light of a courthouse is to convince the accuser not to pursue.

How?

Pay her. As part of paying her, for her silence.- he has to sign documentation that stipulates he cannot discuss the “case” in the media in anyway. Specifically, in any manner that might defame the “accuser”- ie… he cannot defend himself.

Thats the last thing Big Ben would do especially when Georgia DA did not have any evidence whatsoever including DNA. Again i am not a lawyer but if you pay the accuser you are in more trouble . No way Big Ben would have done that especially when Georgia DA was trying to catch that big fish.

ANPSTEEL
07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
The best way to insure that this case never sees the light of a courthouse is to convince the accuser not to pursue.

How?

Thats the last thing Big Ben would do especially when Georgia DA did not have any evidence whatsoever including DNA. Again i am not a lawyer but if you pay the accuser you are in more trouble . No way Big Ben would have done that especially when Georgia DA was trying to catch that big fish.

You are working on the theory- of I'm innocent, I won't pay.

but don't look at it that way-

Innocent or not, there is absolutely no way Ben could have risked even the slightest chance this went to trial- for the reasons I gave.

IMO, if the accuser had continued to press charges, that DA would have found a way to get this in front of a jury- and then

- this case goes on for at least a year.
- i'd imagine it is about 100% chance the team or league would have to suspend Ben throughout that entire time.
- This would have cost Ben MUCH more than the "buy out".
- Meanwhile- the press is crushing him
- If it goes to trial- in that small little town... you never know how that might turn out.
- etc...

I think you see my point.

No way could they risk the chance of a trial.

Maybe, just maybe the accuser dropped the charges on her own.

or, maybe this is the way it happened.

Crash
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Because media and fans demanded his head on a stick mere hours after the accusation was made.

Period.

End of discussion.

ANPSTEEL
07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Because media and fans demanded his head on a stick mere hours after the accusation was made.

Period.

End of discussion.

The accuser hired an attorney.

why??

No civil suit has been filed.

No public statement made by said attorney.

Oviedo
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Period.

End of discussion.

More specifically the media demanded Goodell to prove he would punish white players like he did black players. The roundtable group on NFL Network and the PTI guys were talking this as a "test" for Goodell the day this story broke.

Goodell caved to the media pressure without any thought for a reasonable in the punishment. He never ever punished a player for just being accused before and he hasn't since. But he needed to scapegoat Ben to keep his political correctness credentials.

Ghost
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
The word here in GA (where I live) is her family most definitley did not want a any sort of trial that would bring her reputation into question.

Look, I wouldn't have wanted my parents hearing about my college days either so I'm not throwing stones from my glass house, but the word is this girl was pretty far from sainthood.

grotonsteel
07-30-2010, 11:19 AM

How?

You are working on the theory- of I'm innocent, I won't pay.

but don't look at it that way-

Innocent or not, there is absolutely no way Ben could have risked even the slightest chance this went to trial- for the reasons I gave.

IMO, if the accuser had continued to press charges, that DA would have found a way to get this in front of a jury- and then

- this case goes on for at least a year.
- i'd imagine it is about 100% chance the team or league would have to suspend Ben throughout that entire time.
- This would have cost Ben MUCH more than the "buy out".
- Meanwhile- the press is crushing him
- If it goes to trial- in that small little town... you never know how that might turn out.
- etc...

I think you see my point.

No way could they risk the chance of a trial.

Maybe, just maybe the accuser dropped the charges on her own.

or, maybe this is the way it happened.

I am not working on the theory. I am stating a fact that Georgia DA did not have anything on Big Ben. No way this case would have gone to trial. My 2 cents you need to read the transcripts.

Also if you want to some kinda conspiracy theory why she did not pursue charges how about this:
Big Ben hired a private investigator and dug out past about that girl. Now what pvt investigator found out we don't know but maybe if those things came out it in public, it would put her parents with political connections/society/neighborhood/sorority/college to shame. Maybe its similar to Miss USA from Kentucky. A small town girl at age 20 indulged in binge drinking/drugs in NYC.

papillon
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
The word here in GA (where I live) is her family most definitley did not want a any sort of trial that would bring her reputation into question.

Look, I wouldn't have wanted my parents hearing about my college days either so I'm not throwing stones from my glass house, but the word is this girl was pretty far from sainthood.

There's really very little doubt about her behavior. I'd still like to know how her name has never surfaced. Her parents, regardless of wealth, certainly couldn't pay every person that she has come in contact with to keep quiet.

It's really quite amazing in my feeble mind that we have no idea who she is or what she looks like.

Pappy

feltdizz
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Ben can't speak up right now because there is still a civil suit open with him being accused of rape.

That's why he was suspended.

How anyone can say that first sentence while wondering how he was hosed is beyond me.

Has Pouncey signed yet?

steelblood
07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
There is a lot we will never know about this case. Some folks claim to have some certainty from the evidence they have seen. But, we'll likely never know just what Ben did and how much the girl and her friends made up. We can make all kinds of extrapolations and attempt to apply logic, but Ben didn't necessarily apply any logic that night. And, as fishy as the girl's story is, much of it could be true.

It is also very possible that Ben paid her off. Not necessarily because he was guilty or even thought he'd lose a trial. But, to make this thing go away. Celebrities do this.

Without knowing what happened, it is difficult to say if the punishment was just. As it is today, Goddell can punish anyone for bad personal conduct. Ben admits to behaving poorly and making bad choices (whatever those were). He didn't fight Goddell's decision. This whole thing is a black eye on the Steeler rep surrounded by a lot of gray.

feltdizz
07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Paying someone off doesn't mean he is guilty... just means he is smart.

Too bad his fans will keep rehashing the story everytime some player gets in trouble and isn't punished like Ben was

grotonsteel
07-30-2010, 02:14 PM

I don't think so. Again i will let lawyer on this board answer that.

You don't pay someone off within a month of accusation. I think you will be charged with obstruction of justice.

cruzer8
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
There is a lot we will never know about this case. Some folks claim to have some certainty from the evidence they have seen. But, we'll likely never know just what Ben did and how much the girl and her friends made up. We can make all kinds of extrapolations and attempt to apply logic, but Ben didn't necessarily apply any logic that night. And, as fishy as the girl's story is, much of it could be true.

It is also very possible that Ben paid her off. Not necessarily because he was guilty or even thought he'd lose a trial. But, to make this thing go away. Celebrities do this.

Without knowing what happened, it is difficult to say if the punishment was just. As it is today, Goddell can punish anyone for bad personal conduct. Ben admits to behaving poorly and making bad choices (whatever those were). He didn't fight Goddell's decision. This whole thing is a black eye on the Steeler rep surrounded by a lot of gray.

Once you accept the Steeler "rep" for the fantasy that it is you will have an better understanding of why people are upset about this suspension.

I have a question for the OP: was this theory hammered out in area 51 and did you have the assistance of any 9/11 conspiracy theorists?

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Too bad his fans will keep rehashing the story everytime some player gets in trouble and isn't punished like Ben was

Updated: July 30, 2010

Sources: Benson won't be suspended

ESPN.com news services

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will not suspend Bengals running back Cedric Benson for his role in a May altercation in Texas, two league sources said Friday.

Benson met last week with Goodell about his offseason arrest in Austin, Texas, on a charge of misdemeanor assault.

Benson is accused of punching a bar employee, a charge he has denied.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

feltdizz
07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
LOL. That was a good one.

I really think is going to be a great year for our team.