PDA

View Full Version : Steelers agree to terms with T Flozell Adams

plainnasty
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Steelers agree to terms with T Flozell Adams on a multi-year deal. More ahead on NFL Network and NFL.com

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/19856730408

plainnasty
07-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Flozell Adams joins the Steelers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 29, 2010 5:53 PM ET

The Steelers have signed a rather intriguing option to fill their massive hole at tackle.

Flozell "The Hotel" Adams signed a multi-year deal with Pittsburgh, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network. Jay Glazer of FOX has confirmed the move. The longtime Dallas Cowboy has lost a step, but still remains a force in the running game and upgrades a thin position for the Steelers.

Pittsburgh has reportedly yet to determine what side of the line Adams will play, but Max Starks and Adams figure to be the two starters no matter how they line up. La Canfora guesses that Max Starks could move back to right tackle, a position he played during the 2006 Super Bowl season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/flozell-adams-joins-the-steelers/)

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Multi-year deal??? Wow...interested to see the terms. You can give him whatever you want this year in a cap-free environment, but after that, he'll count toward the salary cap when a new CBA is ratified. He's already old now, and he'll be a year (or two...depending on if a lockout lasts the entire season) older by the time he'll have to squeeze his hotel-sized behind into a salary cap here.

I vote to keep Starks on the left and insert Hotel on the right.

ANPSTEEL
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
False Start. 5 yards.

2nd down.

In all seriousness... I'm sure this is an improvement over the other options currently on the roster-

but

Starks is a lefty, and seemed to play significantly better at LT than at RT.

would you really move him to RT to accommodate Flozell at this stage in his career??

Iron Shiek
07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
If we thought our OL attracted alot of yellow laundry on the field a couple years ago...lets not be surprised.

At least he's huge (he's a hotel for cryin out loud), experienced and another body to help the depth. I imagine he'll start, huh?

Flasteel
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I vote to keep Starks on the left and insert Hotel on the right.

Agreed.

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Flozell should be a decent replica of Colon for us, both in terms of the positives he brings to the table, as well as the number of "D'Oh!" inducing penalty flags he'll give us.

He's still a better option as a starter than Essex, though (although it will be good to have Trai back as a swing guy on gamedays again...that's the role he should fill).

I'd say that our line will look like Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Pouncey-Adams. The active gameday back-ups should be Essex (G-T) and Legursky (G-C). Beyond that, I think we keep Foster (G-T) and Urbik (G-C). If we only keep 9 OL on our 53 man roster, that means that we could realistically end up cutting Jonathan Scott, Tony Hills, and Adrian Jones...if we keep 10 OL, then those 3 veteran guys are likely battling for one roster spot (but I don't see it...I think we only keep 9 OL because they will want more LB'ers or DB's since they can also contribute on special teams).

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
no way do i want him at LT...looked reqally slow last year.

At RT, might be an upgrade over semi. longer reach for the rush. something that hurts willie occasionally

calmkiller
07-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Steelers sign Flozell Adams
Thursday, July 29, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers came to terms on a two-year contract with veteran tackle Flozell Adams this afternoon and he will arrive in training camp with them this weekend.

Adams, 35, is a five-time Pro Bowl left tackle with the Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers signed him in response to losing starting right tackle Willie Colon for the season with an Achilles tendon injury.

It's unsure whether the Steelers will use Adams on his natural left side or the right. Max Starks, their starting left tackle, started in 2005 and 2006 at right tackle for the Steelers so if they put Adams on the left side, Starks would move back to the right.

Adams, nicknamed The Hotel because of his 6-7, 338-pound frame, Adams, last made the Pro Bowl for his play in the 2007 season. The Cowboys, who drafted him from Michigan State in 1998, released him in April.

The Steelers will have to release someone to make room on their 80-man roster for Adams.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/10 ... z0v7Ep1JQr (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/1076270-100.stm#ixzz0v7Ep1JQr)

birtikidis
07-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Expect to see Scott (I think, the Rook) put on IR to make room for him....

sentinel33
07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
a significant upgrade at RT for Pittsburgh.

I think the penalties will decrease with Adams playing the right side instead of the left.
Steelers starting lineup...

LT-Starks
LG-Kemoeatu
C-Hartwig
RG-Essex
RT-Adams

Backups-Pouncey,Urbik and Scott with Foster and Hills landing on the PS

Crank up that running game. With two mammoth Tackles, Mendenhall and Dwyer will be as dynamic as the Carolina running attack. We really wont see this until
Ben comes back in mid October against the Browns.

grotonsteel
07-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Well he is definitely an upgrade over what we have right now.

And i hope new O-line coach does not move Max to RT. Max is playing better as a LT.

I must say Adams does not keep watching when his QB is getting nailed by opp. He uses his legs brilliantly... 8)

We are not playing Giants this season otherwise it would have been fun. Jay Alford does have a beef with Adams.

JPbucco
07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Pouncy WILL start at RG over Essex.

Also, I wonder if they still have interest in Pitts, with Pouncy or Legursky taking over for Hartwig?

birtikidis
07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Pouncy WILL start at RG over Essex.

Also, I wonder if they still have interest in Pitts, with Pouncy or Legursky taking over for Hartwig?
Pitts signed with Seattle.

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM

And i hope new O-line coach does not move Max to RT. Max is playing better as a LT.

I must say Adams does not keep watching when his QB is getting nailed by opp. He uses his legs brilliantly... 8)

We are not playing Giants this season otherwise it would have been fun. Jay Alford does have a beef with Adams.

tuck too.

he was the one that was in a sling after a blatant flozelle trip IIRC

fezziwig
07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
I guess we have to young guys that are capable of developing into the tackle position ?

costanza2k1
07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Got to wonder how bad Hartwig is right now, I'm thinking this may open up the door for Legursky. I'm hoping Kugz will put out the better player and not fall to the seasoned vets must start theory. It's time to get fresh and strong. I'm not a talent evaluator, just want to see something different...my perception of Hartwig is that he's a swinging gate.

Ozey74
07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
A very "un-Steeler-like" signing. This will be interesting to watch.

:tt2

Oviedo
07-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Got to wonder how bad Hartwig is right now, I'm thinking this may open up the door for Legursky. I'm hoping Kugz will put out the better player and not fall to the seasoned vets must start theory. It's time to get fresh and strong. I'm not a talent evaluator, just want to see something different...my perception of Hartwig is that he's a swinging gate.

This is the first thing I thought too. After starting for all of last season I'm not sure they want to move Essex to a back up role.

If we assume that Adams will hold down the RT position and Essex won't have to move there then maybe the plan is to get Pouncey starting at Center right away.

If healthy and in shape, I think Adams is the perfect solution at RT. The guy is a great run blocker.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-30-2010, 07:54 AM
A very "un-Steeler-like" signing. This will be interesting to watch.

:tt2

Pretty much everything the Steelers have done this offseason and last are very un steeler-like.

frankthetank1
07-30-2010, 07:56 AM
i like this move a lot. im pretty suprised because his contract demands were pretty high. i hope they didnt give him too much money. im suprised its not just a one year deal, although colon is a FA next season. no way will starks be on the right side. that would be a big mistake.

Oviedo
07-30-2010, 08:22 AM
i like this move a lot. im pretty suprised because his contract demands were pretty high. i hope they didnt give him too much money. im suprised its not just a one year deal, although colon is a FA next season. no way will starks be on the right side. that would be a big mistake.

FTT--I agree. Don't move Starks. He has been solid at LT and will keep getting better the more he plays there.

This does give us a great insurance policy at LT if Starks would ever get hurt. Didn't have that before since no way Colon could move over there.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Good they got "someone" here before camp. The multi year isn't anything to be alarmed about. If he moves to RT, he will be productive where we need him to be. Kemo's pulling ability has kept us a right handed offense and Adams still can dig in the trenches. Pouncey, Legursky, or Urbik could give the Steelers the ability to be more balanced at pulling when they win the RG spot.

Heading into camp, you would say now the line-up will be:
Starks-Kemo-Hartwig-Essex-Adams

Here are some lineups that wouldn't surprise me. All of them minus Hartwig:
Starks-Kemo-Legursky-Pouncey-Adams
* Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Urbik-Adams

* This is the one I'm pulling for. Unlikely this year, but would mean Pouncey & Urbik meet draft expectations.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM

tuck too.

he was the one that was in a sling after a blatant flozelle trip IIRC

Well, we do visit the new Meadowlands Stadium on 8-21-10 for a clash with the Giants during week 2 of the preseason. We should get to see the ones-vs.-ones clash for at least a quarter or more in that game. Hotel will likely meet up with Alford and Tuck at some point there.

Oviedo
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Good they got "someone" here before camp. The multi year isn't anything to be alarmed about. If he moves to RT, he will be productive where we need him to be. Kemo's pulling ability has kept us a right handed offense and Adams still can dig in the trenches. Pouncey, Legursky, or Urbik could give the Steelers the ability to be more balanced at pulling when they win the RG spot.

* This is the one I'm pulling for. Unlikely this year, but would mean Pouncey & Urbik meet draft expectations.

I'm pulling for the same Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Urbik-Adams combination that you are. I'm just not sure Pouncey is ready or that the team will trust him as a rookie at Center.

I think Urbik will improve significantly under Kugler. I never had faith in Coach Z to develop OLmen.

ANPSTEEL
07-30-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm pulling for the same Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Urbik-Adams combination that you are. I'm just not sure Pouncey is ready or that the team will trust him as a rookie at Center.

I think Urbik will improve significantly under Kugler. I never had faith in Coach Z to develop OLmen.

I'm with both of you on any option that does not involve Hartwig.

While I'd love to see Urbik actually develop into a starting role this season-

I think

Starks / Kemo / Legursky / Pouncey / Adams

Is more realistic- or maybe even flip Pouncey and Adams.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2010, 11:34 AM
or maybe even flip Pouncey and Adams.

You lost me here. Pouncey does not have tackle experience and Adams does not have guard experience. Don't get too cute.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 12:04 AM
So how much does Adams still have left in the tank?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-31-2010, 08:48 AM
As long he has enough to make one more trip back to Dallas, I say he has enough! :wink:

fezziwig
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Yestrday at the pizza place there were guys talking Steeler football and one guy said Colon was ranked third best right tackle in the league. Has anyone else heard or read this ? I heard this and I was stunned, I stood there and was speechless as he walked out. I couldn't even ask him his source.

jj28west
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Yestrday at the pizza place there were guys talking Steeler football and one guy said Colon was ranked third best right tackle in the league. Has anyone else heard or read this ? I heard this and I was stunned, I stood there and was speechless as he walked out. I couldn't even ask him his source.

I have also heard this from credible sources on the Sirius NFL station.

Shawn
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Yep he "graded out" as the third best. I don't personally see it. He's solid and thats about it.

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Yep he "graded out" as the third best. I don't personally see it. He's solid and thats about it.

according to Colon's agent he was the best RT in the NFL... :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Not just the 3rd ranked right tackle...the third ranked tackle period (and #1 in pass blocking :shock: ).

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jake Long
3. Willie Colon

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

For what it's worth, Max Starks was 25th and Flozell Adams was 49th (but #6 in terms of run blocking).

Of course, this same site has Adrian Peterson as the 17th ranked HB, behind behemoths such as Justin Forsett, Jason Snelling, Kevin Smith, Ladell Betts, and Brian Leonard. :lol:

cruzer8
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Not just the 3rd ranked right tackle...the third ranked tackle period (and #1 in pass blocking :shock: ).

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jake Long
3. Willie Colon

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

For what it's worth, Max Starks was 25th and Flozell Adams was 49th (but #6 in terms of run blocking).

Of course, this same site has Adrian Peterson as the 17th ranked HB, behind behemoths such as Justin Forsett, Jason Snelling, Kevin Smith, Ladell Betts, and Brian Leonard. :lol:

Just shows how useless statistics and formulas are for evaluating NFL players.

fezziwig
08-02-2010, 07:19 PM

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jake Long
3. Willie Colon

x2

BURGH86STEEL
08-02-2010, 07:28 PM

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jake Long
3. Willie Colon

x2
x3 Some stats have meaning and some are meaningless.

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jake Long
3. Willie Colon

x2
x3 Some stats have meaning and some are meaningless.

x4. Stats are for baseball.