PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau still going strong

fordfixer
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
LeBeau still going strong
July 28th, 2010

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/07/28/lebeau-still-going-strong/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

In less than two weeks, Dick LeBeau will receive a long overdue honor when he is officially inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

It will be the crowning achievement for a man who has excelled for more than a half century in the NFL, first as a player and then as a coach.

Despite accomplishing seemingly everything during his decorated career, it doesn’t sound like LeBeau sees the finish line on the horizon.

“Two years ago we won the world championship and our defense statistically was the best I’ve seen for 30 years. Probably any man in his right mind figured you could quit then,” the Steelers defensive coordinator said with a laugh Tuesday. “I love what I do. I love the people that I do it with.”

In typical LeBeau fashion, he added, “I’ve said continually in order for me to coach somebody has to want me to coach. That’s the blessing I have right now that somebody wants me to coach their defense and the players still respond to what I’m coaching. I think those situations, should they ever alter, I’d be out of coaching pretty quick, and have no decision in the matter.”

Neither figures to happen anytime soon. LeBeau will be 73 in early September but he could easily pass for someone in their 50s.

He is sharp as ever, and to say his players are loyal to him would qualify as a vast understatement. He is beloved by them, and they play their rear ends off for him because not doing so would be akin to disappointing your father.

“As long as we’re having this much fun and have defenders playing as hard as these Steelers do,” LeBeau said, “we’ll probably keep trying to call a fire zone (blitz) or two.”

In other words, retirement can wait for LeBeau.
F

ramblinjim
07-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Lebeau goes into the HOF as a player this year, could he still go in as a coach? IIRC no coordinator is in the Hall of Fame but you'd have to think his innovations over the years would put him in consideration wouldn't it?