PDA

View Full Version : So has the anger with Ben subsided at all in Pittsburgh?

rpmpit
07-28-2010, 07:30 AM
A few days before camp, I was just wondering what it was like in Pittsburgh these days. Last I heard it was about 50/50 with people who supported Ben or wanted him gone.

Has this changed at all? Any local insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Eich
07-28-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't know about in Pittsburgh. But here in Northern Virginia, there are tons of Steelers fans. Over the past few months, I've talked to several of them about Ben. Most people I've talked to think he's guilty of some kind of assault.

The 2nd accusation coupled with the media frenzy and subsequent suspension has incriminated Ben unfairly. It didn't help that Terry Bradshaw also said Ben is guilty on Jay Leno. Most people I've talked to haven't heard the tapes or full details from the questioning in the GA case. So all they have to go on is the media frenzy that followed the GA accusations.

It's sad really. I don't think Ben has been a great guy (how many 27 year old millionaires would be) but I don't think he's assaulted anyone either.

JAR
07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
It's seems to have died down, except for those who feel they are at the top of the 'greater than thou' list. Say what you will about Mark Madden, but he has really put a lot of the media swallowing, Ben hating fans in their place. Ben has been made out to be someone he really isn't in this city and Madden really helps to counteract a lot of that.

Oviedo
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
More and more folks are moving back to Ben's side as the crap commissioner clearly shows he scapegoated Ben because he was the first shot he had at a high profile white player who was also a QB and he needed to take some heat off himself because there was an appearance all his discipline was against black players.

The past six weeks there have been numerous incidents involving other players who were actually charged with crimes and Goodell has become a deaf/mute. Crimes, in some cases with video evidence, involving violence and alcohol are being ignored by this worthless commisioner while he still lets Ben hang on whether the suspension will even be reduced.

As time goes by, it becomes clear that the only crime committed in Ben's case was the one against him by the commisioner. I've never been a Ben apologist in this matter and I was OK with a suspension originally (6 games was too many) because I was naive enough to think that Goodell was fianlly setting a standard that he would uniformly apply. Events have proven otherwise and he just used Ben to validate his political correctness credentials and it had nothing to do with standards.

DukieBoy
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
The Nevada case, when it re-emerges in the media, would complicate the matter of public opinion about Ben.

Ghost
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
No everyone in Pgh was (is) anti-Ben. My mom still lives there and she's a little old lady who was quite happy the Steelers kept him around. She's hoping for hoim to do well and people embrace him again.

I think we'll see a lot more BR jersey's in the stands once the season starts then most originally anticipated. I'm sure I'll see them at the Steeler's bar.

rpmpit
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. One other question was on the national interview Ben was rumored to be doing for Oprah or Larry King or whoever. Any updates on this??

Eich
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Say what you will about Mark Madden, but he has really put a lot of the media swallowing, Ben hating fans in their place.

I'm glad to hear that someone in the media is coming to Ben's defense. You don't hear any defense of Ben here in Northern Virginia. The media here hated Ben already because he's been winning and they aren't.

I would imagine it isn't a whole lot of fun being Ben right now. He can't really even come out in his own defense properly.

Crash
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I have some family in Virginia and they tell me that Ben does get support there. A friend I have who's lived there for years always wears Ben stuff out and always gets supportive comments.

Also, Steve Czaben on the local ESPN (Washington D.C.) Radio affiliate has been saying for months how BS this whole media thing has been against Ben.

When people take the time to actually READ the reports (not just selected bits of them) and HEAR the CDs? You realize why he wasn't charged.

I do expect Ben to get a mixed re-action in his first pre-season game though, and then his play when he returns will dictate the future ones.

When the Pens were eliminated the PG ran a new poll, most were willing to give Ben a second chance, and then by some miracle, on the last day of the poll, TEN THOUSAND new voters were undecided.

So either a hacker did it, or the PG rigged it.

Will you give Ben Roethlisberger a second chance to rehabilitate himself and his image?

A. Yes - 1207 (64%)

B. No - 435 (23%)

C. Undecided - 232 (12%)

Updated June 4 11 AM ET

A.Yes - 1429 (64%)

B.No - 518 (23%)

C.Undecided - 272 (12%)

June 5, 1 PM ET

A.Yes - 1618 (65%)

B.No - 581 (23%)

C.Undecided - 298 (12%)

Final results

Will you give Ben Roethlisberger a second chance to rehabilitate himself and his image?

Category: Steelers
Voting began on 6/3/2010
Voting ends on 6/6/2010

A.Yes - 1649 (13%)

B.No - 592 (5%)

C.Undecided - 10296 (82%)

I find it very hard to believe that in the last 31 1/2 hours after the June 5 update that only 31 people said yes, 11 people said no, but a little under TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE said they were undecided.

Shoe
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
So has the anger with Ben subsided at all in Pittsburgh?

I hope not. I hope he uses this as motivation both professionally and personally... (more professionally :tt1; personally I just think he needs to stop doing stupid $hit like this--I don't think he is a predator or something).

But I hope he takes this as, "the world is against me--I'll show them!"

*Dear rpmpit, Please remove that picture of granny. I don't want to see that. :wink:

papillon
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
More and more folks are moving back to Ben's side as the crap commissioner clearly shows he scapegoated Ben because he was the first shot he had at a high profile white player who was also a QB and he needed to take some heat off himself because there was an appearance all his discipline was against black players.

The past six weeks there have been numerous incidents involving other players who were actually charged with crimes and Goodell has become a deaf/mute. Crimes, in some cases with video evidence, involving violence and alcohol are being ignored by this worthless commisioner while he still lets Ben hang on whether the suspension will even be reduced.

As time goes by, it becomes clear that the only crime committed in Ben's case was the one against him by the commisioner. I've never been a Ben apologist in this matter and I was OK with a suspension originally (6 games was too many) because I was naive enough to think that Goodell was fianlly setting a standard that he would uniformly apply. Events have proven otherwise and he just used Ben to validate his political correctness credentials and it had nothing to do with standards.

Yup, this is where I fall at this point in time. I was fine with Ben being suspended, although, I believed 6 games with a potential to be reduced to 4 games was too many (4 being reduced to 2). Recent events and the media's continued haranguing of Ben has put me firmly on his side. Looking forward to him giving the NFL the finger this year as he leads the Steelers into the playoffs.

I still believe he acted immaturely or churlishly or pick any adjective depicting Ben in a negative light towards women, but didn't deserve anywhere near the suspension or the media onslaught that he has endured. Hopefully, he'll get the last laugh and Steelernation along with him.

Pappy

Sugar
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I really hope that the citizens of Pittsburgh are better people than to hold something like this on the guy.

Like I said in another thread- No revenge would be better than to claim that SB MVP. That goes not only for Goodell, but also for all the doubters.

Win now Big Ben, write the tell all later after the Commish, Rooney's, etc no longer hold power over your income and career. :wink:

Jigawatts
07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. One other question was on the national interview Ben was rumored to be doing for Oprah or Larry King or whoever. Any updates on this??

The Oprah and Larry King rumor was just a rumor. He did a few interviews for the local
ABC and CBS Pittsburgh affiliates. However, he did not do any interviews for the NBC
affiliate that camped out at his place waiting for Ben to under tip the pizza boy or heckle
the neighbors Latino landscapers.

You could probably still find the interviews somewhere here.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/index.html

http://kdka.com/

feltdizz
07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Yup, this is where I fall at this point in time. I was fine with Ben being suspended, although, I believed 6 games with a potential to be reduced to 4 games was too many (4 being reduced to 2). Recent events and the media's continued haranguing of Ben has put me firmly on his side. Looking forward to him giving the NFL the finger this year as he leads the Steelers into the playoffs.

I still believe he acted immaturely or churlishly or pick any adjective depicting Ben in a negative light towards women, but didn't deserve anywhere near the suspension or the media onslaught that he has endured. Hopefully, he'll get the last laugh and Steelernation along with him.

Pappy

The media always rushes to judgement. It's what they do.

From the beginning I felt regardless of guilt Ben would be punished.

He put himself in a position to be judged by the media. He has no one to blame but himself. The facts always come out later, in small font, on the back of page 9

Eich
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I really hope that the citizens of Pittsburgh are better people than to hold something like this on the guy.

It's not a matter of the citizens being better people. It's a matter of those people getting the right information. If the media convinces them that Ben assaulted a girl, it's not the citizens who are bad people, it's the media who are irresponsible.

2 assault accusations, media frenzy, Rooney anger and Goodell suspension will convince the uninformed that Ben did something pretty bad.

cruzer8
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

It's not a matter of the citizens being better people. It's a matter of those people getting the right information. If the media convinces them that Ben assaulted a girl, it's not the citizens who are bad people, it's the media who are irresponsible.

2 assault accusations, media frenzy, Rooney anger and Goodell suspension will convince the uninformed that Ben did something pretty bad.

It is the responsibility of the individual to become informed. Just reading headlines will not inform one.

papillon
07-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Pappy

The media always rushes to judgement. It's what they do.

From the beginning I felt regardless of guilt Ben would be punished.

He put himself in a position to be judged by the media. He has no one to blame but himself. The facts always come out later, in small font, on the back of page 9

That's true, but I don't have to like it and I don't. He is to blame and I've said that all along; you and I have been on the same side of this from day one. Ben took an unnecessary risk riding into a small college town in GA with his posse in tow and trying to pick up girls with the class of a street denizen.

I do believe that Goodell used this incident to try and set a standard for NFL behavior. What he didn't expect was all the recent shenanigans with players and actual charges being filed and now he looks like the dumb@ss that he is, because, he either has to suspend an ungodly number of games or not at all, he's choosing not at all.

The more and more of these issues that come to light the more and more he looks like a buffoon. He deserves it.

Pappy

Snatch98
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
It's seems to have died down, except for those who feel they are at the top of the 'greater than thou' list. Say what you will about Mark Madden, but he has really put a lot of the media swallowing, Ben hating fans in their place. Ben has been made out to be someone he really isn't in this city and Madden really helps to counteract a lot of that.

I totally agree on Mark Madden. I'm usually not a fan but lately I've been listening to him more and more because his lack of a filter is refreshing. He's spot on with this take on Ben and eventually the city will realize Ben isn't some kind of monster. As far as my interpretation of how the city is now handling Ben I'd still say it's 50/50 but maybe it's now 60/40. My dad still wears his "Dumb and Dumber" T-shirt with Tiger and Ben on the front. I think it's retarded. In the end when week 6 rolls around after the bye and Ben is under center everything will change. He'll throw his first TD pass and lead us to victory over a now overly confident Cleveland fan base and hopefully finally put to rest that "resurgence".

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Pappy

$$$

Eich
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM

It is the responsibility of the individual to become informed. Just reading headlines will not inform one.

A. Being uninformed is not being a bad person.
B. It's pretty difficult to be informed when very few information outlets have reported the actual facts.
C. It's the responsibility of the press to report all the facts, not just the ones that get them ratings.

grotonsteel
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
A. Being uninformed is not being a bad person.
True.

But reading National Enquirer(ESPN) headlines and to say Big Ben is a guilty party and should be suspended for 6 games without knowing the fact is tough to digest.

B. It's pretty difficult to be informed when very few information outlets have reported the actual facts.
True

C. It's the responsibility of the press to report all the facts, not just the ones that get them ratings.
Unfortunately National enquirer does not believe in truth. Everyone on this board agree Big Ben was banned 6 games not because of facts but because he earns 100 million dollars and he is a high profile player.

rpmpit
07-28-2010, 07:06 PM

The Oprah and Larry King rumor was just a rumor. He did a few interviews for the local
ABC and CBS Pittsburgh affiliates. However, he did not do any interviews for the NBC
affiliate that camped out at his place waiting for Ben to under tip the pizza boy or heckle

Thanks, Jig. I saw the kdka interview. Just figured only local Pittsburghers and Steeler fans elsewhere saw it. I really wanted Ben to go on national tv and explain himself. Want the rest of the country to hear him explaining his side of the story. I really think it would help to repair his image.

Jigawatts
07-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks, Jig. I saw the kdka interview. Just figured only local Pittsburghers and Steeler fans elsewhere saw it. I really wanted Ben to go on national tv and explain himself. Want the rest of the country to hear him explaining his side of the story. I really think it would help to repair his image.

The problem is, as Ben has explained in a local interview, that he can't really share
his side of the story regarding the Georgia incident because of the lawsuit in Nevada.

Chadman
07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
A question- what suspension did Moss get for the 'moon'?

How many weeks did 'the sharpie' garner?

The only people that know the facts- or at least, more facts than what we would know, are Ben, the Steelers & Roger Goodall. All 3 believed a suspension was earned.

If Ben is guilty of an act, we'll have to assume it is connected to assault in some way- that was the charge after all.

Balance the punishment of assault to 'the sharpie'- is it fair?

Sugar
07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

The only people that know the facts- or at least, more facts than what we would know, are Ben, the Steelers & Roger Goodall. All 3 believed a suspension was earned.

If Ben is guilty of an act, we'll have to assume it is connected to assault in some way- that was the charge after all.

Of the people you mentioned, only Ben really knows and he is gonna shut his trap so he can get back to playing ASAP. If you really think that Ben really thinks that this suspension is deserved then I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that you might like... :wink:

Chadman
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Could do with a bridge...

NJ-STEELER
07-28-2010, 09:41 PM
if ben opposed any suspension, he would have made it worse on himself.

therooney's told him to abide with the ruling

stlrz d
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Of the people you mentioned, only Ben really knows and he is gonna shut his trap so he can get back to playing ASAP. If you really think that Ben really thinks that this suspension is deserved then I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that you might like... :wink:

No doubt.

feltdizz
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM

link, source?

Unless you know Ben's thoughts you can't assume what he feels.

Crash
07-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Speculation is Ben and his people were willing to accept 4 down to 2 games. That's what Tim Benz reported.

So if that's true, that means they do not agree with 6 down to 4 games.

And with everything that has gone on since with other players? I'd say right now Ben and his people are livid.

Eich
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Speculation is Ben and his people were willing to accept 4 down to 2 games. That's what Tim Benz reported.

And with everything that has gone on since with other players? I'd say right now Ben and his people are livid.

Assuming that Ben didn't assault the girl in any way, I'm not sure why he and his people would've even been willing to accept 4 down to 2.

rpmpit
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Assuming that Ben didn't assault the girl in any way, I'm not sure why he and his people would've even been willing to accept 4 down to 2.

Assuming that Ben didn't assault her, he was still in a college bar providing drinks to underage drinkers, being a doosh, etc. He's acknowledged that he acted inappropriately and made some poor decisions. He knew he was going to get some kind of suspension. 4 down to 2 would have been better.

feltdizz
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

This. Ben has accepted responsibility and stated his disappointment with himself. its time to move forward.

ikestops85
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM

This. Ben has accepted responsibility and stated his disappointment with himself. its time to move forward.

Don't you see Ben had to say he accepted responsibility? He was threatened by the NFL Commissioner!! If he contested his suspension in any way the Commissioner said he would increase it. So what would you have Ben do? His lawyer wants him to stay quiet because of the Nevada civil suit.

After I saw all the interviews regarding the Georgia case I will proudly walk around Northern Virginia wearing my number 7. :Beer

Sugar
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
After I saw all the interviews regarding the Georgia case I will proudly walk around Northern Virginia wearing my number 7. :Beer

I don't have one, but my daughter does and wears it proudly. I was actually hoping that a silver lining in this cloud might be that #7 jersey's might go cheap, but alas...

feltdizz
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Don't you see Ben had to say he accepted responsibility? He was threatened by the NFL Commissioner!! If he contested his suspension in any way the Commissioner said he would increase it. So what would you have Ben do? His lawyer wants him to stay quiet because of the Nevada civil suit.

That line says it all. :stirpot

When you have to stay quiet because of a pending civil suit the silence is deafening.

birtikidis
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM

well the chink in your arguement (and I'm not talking about Angry Asian) is that Ben wasn't actually charged. he was only accused. i get your point, but, i don't actually think those guys (moss and TO) actually got suspended. they got fined. that was it...

grotonsteel
07-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Well i will be wearing No.7 during Giants vs Steelers preseason game at new Meadowlands stadium.

Haters can go to hell..including some Steelers fans who have crucified Big Ben based on perception.

rpmpit
07-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Well i will be wearing No.7 during Giants vs Steelers preseason game at new Meadowlands stadium.

Haters can go to hell..including some Steelers fans who have crucified Big Ben based on perception.

I'll be there too! Was undecided if me and 'pit jr. will be wearing our #7s. But now I think we definitely will be!!

frankthetank1
07-30-2010, 08:12 AM

That line says it all. :stirpot

When you have to stay quiet because of a pending civil suit the silence is deafening.

yeah because the mcnutty case has so much merrit (sarcasim). it doesnt take much at all for a woman to accuse a man of sexual assault, especially if the guy is rich and famous. just look at rick pitino. he is pressing charges against the girl he had sex with because she was extorting him. what does she do? turns around and accuses him of sexual assault. my point is all it takes is an accusation. the truth means nothing.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Just wanted to dig this up from the bottom of page two as it seems like the answer is what I'd hoped it was.

Steeler Nation - who has been following this story, gathering all the details, and finding out the facts when it comes to it's beloved team and QB - seems to be willing to move past what amounts to nothing more than some indiscretions.

Those in the other camp are obviously not the hardcore fans - otherwise where is the contingent in Latrobe - and more the holier than thou who just look for a public incident to look down upon, not fans of this team as they suddenly claim to be.