PDA

View Full Version : No penalty for Vick

birtikidis
07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
even though he violated the terms of his release (or probation or whatever) by associating with criminals from his dog fighting class (he was prohibited from this). Also, someone was shot at a function he set up... and he was there minutes before the shooting.
I'm kind of shocked. I don't think he should be punished by the NFL, but I think if you're gonna punish Ben then you have to punish Vick...

Crash
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Are you kidding? Goodell suspend a black player without charges and then have to deal with Jesse and Al?

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
even though he violated the terms of his release (or probation or whatever) by associating with criminals from his dog fighting class (he was prohibited from this). Also, someone was shot at a function he set up... and he was there minutes before the shooting.
I'm kind of shocked. I don't think he should be punished by the NFL, but I think if you're gonna punish Ben then you have to punish Vick...

He shouldn't be punished by the NFL..... but since Ben was punished he should be punished?

I don't think Vick should be punished severely but personally...I think he should be punished.

It's going to be a miserable year for people who keep saying "if your gonna punish Ben.."

birtikidis
07-27-2010, 01:16 AM
felt what i mean is: if you're gonna say that ben did something that was punishable then you have to say that Vick did to. I don't think either should be punished, but really, let's be consistent.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2010, 02:49 AM
felt what i mean is: if you're gonna say that ben did something that was punishable then you have to say that Vick did to. I don't think either should be punished, but really, let's be consistent.

:Agree doesn't the sentence highlighted in green below sound like it could have been written about Ben as well?

Andy Reid defends "very nice person" Michael Vick

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 26, 2010

Eagles coach Andy Reid addressed reporters today at the start of his team's training camp, and questions about backup quarterback Michael Vick dominated the session. Reid has steadfastly defended Vick, and today was no different.

"Michael is a very nice person," Reid said. "He really is."

Nice person or not, Vick is a convicted felon who may have violated his probation by having a birthday party at which he associated with his dogfighting co-defendant Quanis Phillips. Phillips was shot shortly after a confrontation with Vick at the party; Vick left before the shooting and is not a suspect.

Reid thinks Vick was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but did nothing improper beyond that.

"He didn't break the law," Reid said. "That's the No. 1 thing you look at. I'm just going to say Michael learned from it. Just don't put yourself in bad situations."

But when Vick does put himself in bad situations, he can consider himself lucky that he has a coach who believes in second (and third) chances.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hael-vick/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/andy-reid-defends-very-nice-person-michael-vick/)

rpmpit
07-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Vick is a piece of human garbage and shouldn't be in the NFL - PERIOD! :evil:

Then this crap goes down at his party and nothing is done about it??

Goodell is turning the NFL into a joke. At first I liked the idea of him trying to clean up the league. But his inconsistency shows he cares more about his popularity than the integrity of the league.

Oviedo
07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
And there likely won't be suspensions for Cedric Benson and Vince Young either.

Goodell served up his sacrifice on the alter of political correctness already. No way he wants advocacy groups railing against him.

Unfortunately for Ben he doesn't have a political advocacy group.

feltdizz
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Goodell served up his sacrifice on the alter of political correctness already. No way he wants advocacy groups railing against him.

The only group Ben has is his fans... Steeler fans in general seem to be 50/50.

cruzer8
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM

50% who are smart enough to look into the details of the reports and 50% who are too dumb to comprehend anything beyond headlines.

grotonsteel
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Then i would say those supposedly 50% Steeler fans are really dumb to follow National Enquirer a.k.a ESPN Breaking News to make up their mind. Truly sad indeed.

Oviedo
07-27-2010, 12:41 PM

It may have been 50/50 when it first went down but as it is becoming more transparent that Ben was thrown under the bus to appease elements of the media and the player ranks, however I think more and more folks are moving back to Ben's side of the ledger as it becomes more evident that Ben was used as a tool for the NFL to show their political correctness credentials.

That is what happens when there is clear inconsistency and bias in a discipline policy. Goodell is so random he doesn't know what he is doing. He is destroying credability for any discipline policy he is in charge of. If I was a player no way I want this guy overseeing a HGH policy.

birtikidis
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Vick is a piece of human garbage and shouldn't be in the NFL - PERIOD! :evil:

Then this crap goes down at his party and nothing is done about it??

Goodell is turning the NFL into a joke. At first I liked the idea of him trying to clean up the league. But his inconsistency shows he cares more about his popularity than the integrity of the league.
I totally agree about Vick. I never liked him. It's the inconsistencies that make me mad. People keeps saying "well this was ben's second accusation, where there is smoke there is fire" well, isn't this Vicks 2nd big deal. I mean, SOMEONE GOT SHOT... isn't that a big deal? sure he was charged, he wasn't the guy who pulled the trigger, and he supposedly left before the thing happened. but come on, there isn't anything but hearsay about what happened with Ben.

Northern_Blitz
07-27-2010, 03:12 PM
This is more evidence that Ben's suspension was the Rooney's decision.

I don't think Ben's suspension would have happened without the Rooney's and the general outcry from the city of Pittsburgh. I think this is why we see other players in similar cases get nothing.

I'm fine with Ben being suspended. Hopefully, it will prevent future stupid behaviour.

ter1230_4
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
It may have been 50/50 when it first went down but as it is becoming more transparent that Ben was thrown under the bus to appease elements of the media and the player ranks, however I think more and more folks are moving back to Ben's side of the ledger as it becomes more evident that Ben was used as a tool for the NFL to show their political correctness credentials.

That is what happens when there is clear inconsistency and bias in a discipline policy. Goodell is so random he doesn't know what he is doing. He is destroying credability for any discipline policy he is in charge of. If I was a player no way I want this guy overseeing a HGH policy

I agree 100%. I was very unhappy with Roethlisberger when the incident in Georgia occurred. Frankly, as a Steelers fan I was embarrassed by his conduct, as I think a lot of us were. But subsequent events have shown that Goodell suspended Roethlisberger to make himself look good rather than as part of any coherent or consistent effort to enforce discipline with respect to off the field conduct by NFL players. That's why I refer to Goodell as the POS, because he doesn't care about what's right or fair, he only cares about making himself look good. Big Ben is the only NFL player to ever be suspended without ever having been arrested, and 10 years from now he will still be the only NFL player to have been suspended without ever having been arrested.

I also agree with Feltdizz when he says that it will be a miserable year for people who say "if you're going to punish Ben..." It will be a miserable year for anyone who expects consistency and fairness from Goodell the POS.

Sugar
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
This is more evidence that Ben's suspension was the Rooney's decision.

I don't think Ben's suspension would have happened without the Rooney's and the general outcry from the city of Pittsburgh. I think this is why we see other players in similar cases get nothing.

I really hope the Rooney's aren't that cowardly. That is really bush-league to hide behind the commish's skirt and make him take the heat for the decision. I can't imagine the Chief being that kind of chicken-sheist.

Crash
07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
The Rooney's have bent over for Goodell so much that Ned Beatty would be jealous.

Spygate.

Forced the ownership group to disband.

Didn't fight for Ben's innocence.

All since Goodell took over.

Sugar
07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
The Rooney's have bent over for Goodell so much that Ned Beatty would be jealous.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG- I almost had iced coffee all over my keyboard via my nose on that one!!

ter1230_4
07-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Didn't fight for Ben's innocence

I wouldn't expect Goodell the POS to fight for Ben's innocence, or for the innocence of any other NFL player accused of criminal misconduct. What I do expect Goodell the POS to do is to be consistent in applying sanctions to players accused of criminal misconduct, which he has failed at miserably in the Roethlisberger situation. There have been a number of players who have actually been arrested and not suspended since he suspended Roethlisberger who was never arrested. That is called disparate treatment and it is wrong.

Crash
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I was talking about the Rooney's letting Goodell convict Ben themselves.

They should have told him we will suspend the uncharged QB two games, period.

But Goodell says jump, and the cowardly Rooney's say how high.

Sugar
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah, that's pretty bad. IMO, it's not as bad as some on here are suggesting though: that the Rooney's wanted to punish Ben for tarnishing their precious reputation so instead of dealing with him themselves they somehow got the Commish to give him a really harsh sentence so they wouldn't have to deal with it in public.

Either way, I'm not proud of the organization. That said, I'm still obviously a fan and believe that they are still one of the best org's in sports today. I screw up sometimes too and I always like to have a little grace so I should extend it to others. I'll call it the Black & Gold (en) Rule.

grotonsteel
07-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Spygate.

Forced the ownership group to disband.

Didn't fight for Ben's innocence.

All since Goodell took over.

I still could not believe when Rooneys came out to support Goodell on Spygate. Unfreakingbelievable. I was like WTF.

And Rooneys should have come out to support Big Ben. I think only Colbert issued a statement. The only reason Vince Young did not get any suspension is because of Bud Adams support to Young. And if Rooneys are really pi$$ed off with Big Ben then trade him. If you are not going to support your employee then he ain't gonna give 100% for them.

No wonder Bill Cowher did not even mention Art Rooney II in his final speech.

Captain Lemming
07-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote Rooney

" I want to say that I have informed the Commissioner that the Pittsburgh Steelers are prepared to take disciplinary action at this point.

"However, I want to make clear that any discipline will be agreed to and coordinated between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Commissioner. In other words, there will not be two separate decisions on discipline.

"I have made it clear to Ben that his conduct in this incident did not live up to our standards. We have made it very clear to Ben that there will be consequences for his actions, and Ben has indicated to us that he is willing to accept those consequences.

Far from cowardly not sticking up for his QB Rooney WANTED Ben to get punished severely.

Add to this that the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players' union gives a club the ability to suspend a player for only four games without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. The union can appeal a team suspension.

It is so easy to see what happened people. ROONEY WAS FOR THE SUSPENSION, perhaps even more than Goodell. It is persomal to him. His family name is tied to this team, and he was personally angered by how it looks, when the leader of his team is thought by many to be a rapist, true or not.

If Rooney suspended Ben it might not stick, so he let the league do it in consultation with him.

Rooney had just dumped AmStonio for peanuts people. Rooney was more than any owner cares about the reputation of his team.

If a "crime" against Ben was committed Rooney was a partner. Rooney was no weak victim of your imagined race agenda.

What people fail to understand the purpose of the personal conduct policy is about the reputation of the league, not "justice". Perception is huge. Both for the league and the Steelers.

That is why Ben got suspended.

Crash
07-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Rooney was more than any owner cares about the reputation of his team.

So why was Holmes kept after not one, not two, but THREE ARRESTS?

James Harrison?

Jeff Reed?

Ernie Holmes?

The Rooney Family fortune was created with the help of the GAMBLING industry.

Reputation my a$$.

The Rooney's IMO would have suspended him 2 games, max.

They were WORRIED, that it was going to be EIGHT GAMES, that doesn't sound like the Rooney's and the Commish were on the same page.

The union can appeal a team suspension.

And a player can appeal an NFL issued one. Like Brandon Marshall did when he got a three game Goodell suspension reduced to one.

What people fail to understand the purpose of the personal conduct policy is about the reputation of the league, not "justice". Perception is huge.

And the perception now is that Roger Goodell is an out of control dictator.

The same fans of various teams who were lynching Ben in March, are now calling out Goodell because he's inconsistent with his punishments. He's turning Ben into a sympathetic figure.

Captain Lemming
07-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Rooney was more than any owner cares about the reputation of his team.

So why was Holmes kept after not one, not two, but THREE ARRESTS?

James Harrison?

Jeff Reed?

Ernie Holmes?

The Rooney Family fortune was created with the help of the GAMBLING industry.

Reputation my a$$.

I repeat:
he was personally angered by how it looks, when the leader of his team is thought by many to be a rapist, true or not.

Add all the names above TOGETHER and Ben has caused more bad press. Give 50 women in Iowa all those other names and ask if any of them committed a crime most will not know any.

Ask 50 women in Iowa if Ben Roethlisberger "committed" a crime despite the fact that he was never charged and 10 will say he did it for every 1 who knows anything about the wrongs of any of the players in your list.

Heck, I bet half the NFC football fans dont know jack about any of the real transgressions of everyone in your list except for Stonio.

Reputation is what PEOPLE THINK period.

The Rooney's IMO would have suspended him 2 games, max.

And yet they didnt. Why Crash, it is their right they neednt wait for Goodell.

They were WORRIED, that it was going to be EIGHT GAMES, that doesn't sound like the Rooney's and the Commish were on the same page.

Yeah, that "rumor" was just as reliable as the one that Ben was going to be traded. :roll:

Somehow it ended up being just what Rooney wanted. What a surprise. Rooney basically admitted he a Goodell have a shared perspective on Ben's conduct, and its gravity.

And a player can appeal an NFL issued one. Like Brandon Marshall did when he got a three game Goodell suspension reduced to one.

And Goodell is his own judge. Come on Crash, you know full well that a team suspension is far weaker.

And the perception now is that Roger Goodell is an out of control dictator.

The same fans of various teams who were lynching Ben in March, are now calling out Goodell because he's inconsistent with his punishments. He's turning Ben into a sympathetic figure.

I will concede this point to you. At the time, the reaction was brutal. I do not think he figured the "opinion" tide would turn as it has.