PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 25, 2010

http://www.nextgengop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mike-tomlin.jpg

The Arizona Cardinals recently rewarded coach Ken Whisenhunt with a four-year contract extension, plus a team option for a fifth year.

The Minnesota Vikings last season extended their coach, Brad Childress, for three years. The San Diego Chargers did the same six months ago for Norv Turner, extending his contract by three years despite his latest playoff failure.

Two years ago, the New Orleans Saints gave coach Sean Payton a five-year extension.

The Steelers didn't follow that pattern. They apparently believe Mike Tomlin "has proven to be one of the top head coaches in the National Football League," as team president Art Rooney II put it Friday, but they have extended his contract by a mere two years.

The team announced the move Friday. It secures Tomlin through 2012, with a team option for 2013. Financial details were not revealed.

Without having been privy to the negotiations, it's impossible to know why the extension wasn't longer. Bill Cowher's final extension as Steelers coach was for two years, but his previous two extensions were for three years, both with two years left on his contract. Tomlin had one year, plus an option, left on his deal.

The two-year extension could be interpreted as a less-than-overwhelming show of faith in Tomlin, whose .646 winning percentage is best in the NFL among those who've coached at least three seasons. He also is one of five active coaches to win a Super Bowl. He has won two division titles in three years. He has a 31-17 record.

On the other hand, while one of his three seasons ended in a Super Bowl parade, the other two ended in calamity.

The Wild-Card game against Jacksonville three years ago was a coaching debacle, punctuated by Tomlin's mind-blowing decision to call for a two-point conversion attempt from the 12-yard line ó after a holding penalty ó when his team trailed by only five points with more than 10 minutes left.

Tomlin followed up with a masterful performance in 2008, navigating his team through a treacherous schedule and becoming the youngest coach in NFL history to win the Super Bowl.

The title defense was a disaster. Tomlin's false bravado could have provided the voice-over for a Football Follies film on the late-season collapse.

The quote that shall live in infamy: "We will unleash hell here in December." Tomlin said it before losses to the Raiders and Browns, a package of back-to-back defeats as embarrassing as any in recent Steelers history.

The playoff miss, combined with an offseason from, well, hell, left many wondering if Rooney would be wise to hold off on a Tomlin extension this summer.

But maybe the Steelers struck the perfect balance. They rewarded Tomlin's accomplishments ó we'll know by how much when financial terms are revealed ó and avoided yet another potential camp distraction by ending speculation about his future. The extension provides a sense of stability.

At the same time, the two-year term leaves the distinct impression that Rooney wants to see a larger sampling of Tomlin's work.

We're all waiting to see how Tomlin handles the storm coming his way, beginning Friday when players report to training camp amid a rash of uncertainty and upset.

One of the big questions: How will Tomlin handle his quarterback situation? Snaps must be divvied up among Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, Charlie Batch and embattled star Ben Roethlisberger, who is not eligible to play in at least the first four games but will be a larger-than-life camp presence.

Meanwhile, Tomlin must find the right balance on offense, working with pass-happy coordinator Bruce Arians. The two are under a Rooney mandate to run the ball more effectively, if not more often.

Last year's horrific kick coverage and cornerback play must be fixed. LaMarr Woodley is unhappy. Willie Colon is gone for the season. Santonio Holmes is gone for good. Dixon's agent is calling for his client to start. The defense is getting old. The competition within the division is daunting (except for Cleveland).

What we have here is a critical moment in Steelers history, one that cries for a strong leader. I'm betting Tomlin is up to the challenge.

Storm hits Friday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91896.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_691896.html)

stlrz d
07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Starkey is such a hater. Hey Starkey, maybe the Steelers wanted a longer deal but were offering less per year and Tomlin's side said, "How about a shorter deal at those terms?"

Duh....

ANPSTEEL
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
voice of reason.

sometimes it can be found, even in the media.

ANPSTEEL
07-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Starkey is such a hater. Hey Starkey, maybe the Steelers wanted a longer deal but were offering less per year and Tomlin's side said, "How about a shorter deal at those terms?"

Duh....

uranut.

NKySteeler
07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
... And maybe, just maybe the organization didn't want to be on the hook for multiple years (also considering the possible lockout) so as to see whether last season was a fluke or future pattern....

It was good business sense. Either way. Period...

If he turns out to be good (as alot of us hope), then they can re-sign him... If not, based on the lockout year, they aren't on the hook for much... It's common sense.

stlrz d
07-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Duh....

uranut.

Why? Because I pointed out something that could be a possibility? That's all Starkey did...except I didn't take the negative view like Starkey always does. And I don't write for a newspaper.

Other than that I did the same thing...came up with a possible reason for why the deal was done the way it was and for the length it was done for.

Don't get mad at me just because you're a Tomlin fence sitter and now the post from the fence you're sitting on is wedged somewhere that's not comfortable for you.

Tomlin's done a fine job here (I have realistic expectations unlike most fans) and I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't Steelers HC for at least 10 years.

phillyesq
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Starkey was dead on with this article. Regardless of the resolution in the labor situation, I don't think that coaching salaries will change significantly going forward. If the Rooneys were 100% sold on Tomlin, I think they would have made more of an effort to lock him up to a longer term deal. Winning a SB in his second season was a great accomplishment, but Tomlin looked like a dear in the headlights last season. It was the first time he was faced with some real adversity, and he didn't rise to the occasion.

From a pure business perspective, I'm quite glad that the Rooneys didn't extend Tomlin immediately after the 2008 season. Giving him a long term deal, with his value at its peak, would have been a big mistake, and I'm glad they didn't do so. By the same token, perhaps, as D suggested, Tomlin realized his value was at its lowest, and decided to wait before being locked into a long term deal. While this is possible, I agree with Starkey's position that the Steelers are still evaluating whether they see Tomlin as a long term answer.

Steelers>NFL
07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
This is garbage article. Even Cowher typically signed 2 years extensions.
Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business
with HC. Nothing new here.

cruzer8
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business

Agreed. It's just Starkey trying to rile up those not yet sold on Tomlin.

aggiebones
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Didn't Cowher always only get 2-3 extensions and not til right before his contract was up?
Seemed pretty standard to me.

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Cowher signed 2 year extensions with 2 years left- essentially making it a 4 year deal.

Apples

v.

Oranges

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Tomlin isnt going anywhere until he decides he is ready to leave. Sorry haters

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1dzikwf0]Starkey is such a hater. Hey Starkey, maybe the Steelers wanted a longer deal but were offering less per year and Tomlin's side said, "How about a shorter deal at those terms?"

Duh....

uranut.

Why? Because I pointed out something that could be a possibility? That's all Starkey did...except I didn't take the negative view like Starkey always does. And I don't write for a newspaper.

Other than that I did the same thing...came up with a possible reason for why the deal was done the way it was and for the length it was done for.

Don't get mad at me just because you're a Tomlin fence sitter and now the post from the fence you're sitting on is wedged somewhere that's not comfortable for you.

Tomlin's done a fine job here (I have realistic expectations unlike most fans) and I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't Steelers HC for at least 10 years.[/quote:1dzikwf0]

ok- maybe so.

There are a few out there- ok, maybe more than a few- who can not be objective about the Steelers under any circumstances.

If you take off the Homer Goggles and look at this- analytically - you can see it for what it is.

The team has a coach that they made a significant investment in. The team is not prone to knee jerk reactions.

The coach has been tremendously successful

and

The coach has been pretty flipping bad

The organization recognizes both of these facets.

They also recognize that this season may be over before it begins - due to Ben's suspension- and thus may not be able to make a legitimate evaluation based upon this season.

They also recognize that next season may be shot as well.

So- they structured a contract that would allow them to further evaluate the coach- and minimize their financial exposure should that evaluation go bad.

Tomlin has 2010 (which he had under contract anyway)
Whatever transpires for 2011 - which would appear to be almost certainly something less than a full season.
and 2012-

I am not trying to be negative about this.

I want Tomlin to succeed.

I just recognize this for what it almost certainly is-

The team is hedging their bet.

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

ok

so, uranut2.

:Blah

cruzer8
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Write it down. We agree on something.

Oviedo
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Write it down. We agree on something.

Monday, July 26, 2010.

The day the earth stood still.

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM

ok

so, uranut2.

:Hater

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

ok

so, uranut2.

ohhh.

burn.. you got me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a hater... wooooo!!!!

:HeadBanger

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM

ok

so, uranut2.

ohhh.

burn.. you got me.

uranut2 was genius. :roll:

why would my declaration make you respond in the first place unless it's true.

Ghost
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I like Tomlin and hope he's here for over a decade and the Steelers are kicking a$$. But then I would have literally bet my life they wouldn't lose to the Chiefs, Browns, and Raiders last year....

You just never know. I neither think nor expect it to happen but what if he has 2 more years like last season? You think Art keeps him around?

And Starkey specifically says "I think he's up to the challenge" so how much hate can he have?

phillyesq
07-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.

Actually, he got 3 year extensions with two years left, until the last one.

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.

cruzer8
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.

BC talked a good game and made a lot of promises he subsequently failed to deliver on. They sure kept him around for a long time. Why would it be any different for Tomlin? 3 seasons, 2 AFCN titles and one SB championship.

The statement "it's hard to win in the NFL" is not a cliche. Anyone can have a bad season.

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 01:22 PM

ok

so, uranut2.

ohhh.

burn.. you got me.

uranut2 was genius. :roll:

why would my declaration make you respond in the first place unless it's true.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel like I'm in the junior high cafeteria right now...

I'm rubber, you're glue...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:Cheers

Oviedo
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Maybe we should look at the Defensive Coord as the problem. His defense lost 4 of those games because of his inability to make adjustments. Talk about a deer in the headlight. Four wins and we have a 13 win season. Sorry...I forgot we are not allowed to discuss that so we need to blame the HC because he isn't going to a party in Canton in a couple of weeks. :stirpot

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 02:58 PM

who was happy? you can't put all that at Tomlin's feet. Even if you can... it makes no sense to put Tomlin on notice when we all watched our D collapse every 4th quarter.

papillon
07-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :moon :stirpot :P

Pappy

Oviedo
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :moon :stirpot :P

Pappy

Tomlin can win 2 more Super Bowls and some will still "doubt" him because they never wanted him to begin with.

Ultimately Head Coaches are responsible but don't ignore why we lost 5 games last year and what part of the team failed.

I agree that keeping this team going at the end of the season is something that is a big positive that is conveniently ignored. Even with the failure on the defensive side of the ball it took tie breakers to keep us out of the play offs.

papillon
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Pappy

Tomlin can win 2 more Super Bowls and some will still "doubt" him because they never wanted him to begin with.

Ultimately Head Coaches are responsible but don't ignore why we lost 5 games last year and what part of the team failed.

I agree that keeping this team going at the end of the season is something that is a big positive that is conveniently ignored. Even with the failure on the defensive side of the ball it took tie breakers to keep us out of the play offs.

And, the devil's advocate to our story here is, had the offense done better during the first three quarters the defense wouldn't have been defending a less than 7 point lead often enough to allow one late score win the game. Last year just plain old sucked in general, mostly because the expectations were high.

As far as I was concerned or could tell, none of the players became disgruntled, none of the players pointed fingers during the losing streak and they won three games at the end of the season to stay in the hunt.

Pappy

stlrz d
07-26-2010, 10:14 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1mhmhwr1]Starkey is such a hater. Hey Starkey, maybe the Steelers wanted a longer deal but were offering less per year and Tomlin's side said, "How about a shorter deal at those terms?"

Duh....

uranut.

Tomlin's done a fine job here (I have realistic expectations unlike most fans) and I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't Steelers HC for at least 10 years.

ok- maybe so.

There are a few out there- ok, maybe more than a few- who can not be objective about the Steelers under any circumstances.

If you take off the Homer Goggles and look at this- analytically - you can see it for what it is.

The team has a coach that they made a significant investment in. The team is not prone to knee jerk reactions.

The coach has been tremendously successful

and

The coach has been pretty flipping bad

The organization recognizes both of these facets.

They also recognize that this season may be over before it begins - due to Ben's suspension- and thus may not be able to make a legitimate evaluation based upon this season.

They also recognize that next season may be shot as well.

So- they structured a contract that would allow them to further evaluate the coach- and minimize their financial exposure should that evaluation go bad.

Tomlin has 2010 (which he had under contract anyway)
Whatever transpires for 2011 - which would appear to be almost certainly something less than a full season.
and 2012-

I am not trying to be negative about this.

I want Tomlin to succeed.

I just recognize this for what it almost certainly is-

The team is hedging their bet.[/quote:1mhmhwr1]

I have homer goggles on because I said that Starkey almost always writes from the negative position???

I didn't say he was wrong and I didn't say I was right...all I said is he almost always takes whatever the negative, doom and gloom position is and makes that his story. That's a fact.

But for the record I do not believe the Steelers are hedging their bet. I believe it is business as usual for them. The Rooney family has been in the NFL a long time and they know how hard it is to win in this league. They aren't in any hurry to cut Tomlin loose.

phillyesq
07-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Pappy

Good point Pappy.

I tried to post a longer version of this before, but I closed the browser prematurely. Basically, we've seen some good with Tomlin (SB, 3 games to close out last season), and some bad (losing streak that torpedoed last season, numerous questionable calls in Jacksonville game). Clearly, the Rooneys want to see more, but they're not going all in with Tomlin, at least not yet. Nor should they. While I'm admittedly less optimistic about Tomlin than many posters here, I think we can all agree that last season was a major disappointment. I think that most of us (including me) hope that the horrendous streak of losses was an aberration, but what if it wasn't? Giving Tomlin a shorter extension was prudent, as it allows the Steelers to retain him for a few more seasons to continue evaluating him.

I don't see why some feel the need to automatically declare Tomlin coach for the next decade. We've seen a mixed bag from Tomlin so far.

Steel Life
07-27-2010, 12:26 AM
I wonder what Starkey would say about Marvin Lewis's situation? He hasn't won anything & he keeps getting extensions.... :stirpot :bungalssuck

papillon
07-27-2010, 01:40 AM

Now, I've been told that the Rooneys were lucky with Noll and Cowher

Pappy

Good point Pappy.

I tried to post a longer version of this before, but I closed the browser prematurely. Basically, we've seen some good with Tomlin (SB, 3 games to close out last season), and some bad (losing streak that torpedoed last season, numerous questionable calls in Jacksonville game). Clearly, the Rooneys want to see more, but they're not going all in with Tomlin, at least not yet. Nor should they. While I'm admittedly less optimistic about Tomlin than many posters here, I think we can all agree that last season was a major disappointment. I think that most of us (including me) hope that the horrendous streak of losses was an aberration, but what if it wasn't? Giving Tomlin a shorter extension was prudent, as it allows the Steelers to retain him for a few more seasons to continue evaluating him.

I don't see why some feel the need to automatically declare Tomlin coach for the next decade. We've seen a mixed bag from Tomlin so far.

It may be prudent, but even if Tomlin has another 8-8 or even two 8-8 seasons, I just don't see the Rooneys jettisoning this guy. Unless, the Steelers go 6-10 or worse two seasons in a row the Steelers aren't getting rid of Tomlin. They have a formula that has worked for them for a long time and stability is part of that formula. Maybe, they're taking a wait and see approach, but that would be a seismic shift in their thinking over the past 40 plus years.

Even if Tomlin ends up only being a 5 or 6 year coach, the next guy will get a chance to make mistakes and get them right. The Steelers as an organization have shown over the past 40 years that they will give their coach a more than fair chance to be successful. The Rooneys can accept disappointing years, down years, etc better than most owners and they have 6 reasons not to change their formula.

Pappy

Sugar
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I would look at a few things:

It helps that we ended the season on a winning streak.

Who could have expected our ST's to suck that bad after they had been solid the prior year?

Who could have expected our vaunted D, with an HOF coach, to lose 10 point leads in the 4th quarter on four occaisions?

As an executive you have to take the heat when things go wrong, but how can you call out Coach LeBeau and expect to maintain the locker room?

Our Offense was on fire for much of the season. If someone had said prior to the season that Ben and the receivers would put up those numbers and that Mendy would be a 1K back, we would have thought that we were SB bound for sure.

I guess I'm just saying that the problems of last season are hard to put at Tomlin's feet, IMO.