PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

hawaiiansteel
07-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Ike Taylor: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

by Johnny_S on Jul 23, 2010

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/486989/52728_chargers_steelers_football.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor breaks up a pass for San Diego Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

Most of the chatter this off season has been about LaMarr Woodley's contract and the moronic 30 percent rule under the current CBA. It has led some of us to push other expiring contracts to the backs of our minds. While most people are fretting about Woodley, they have forgotten about another important player, Ike Taylor, whose contract also expires at the end of this season. Ike has not been a big fan favorite because of his inability to use basic motor skills and catch a football, grabbing only 9 interceptions in 76 starts (109 games). However, most people can appreciate that he has been a shutdown corner that manned one side of the field for several great defenses and two Super Bowl teams. I actually believe that his stone hands have kept him from being a Pro Bowler and out of the conversation of the top CBs in the league.

Like Woodley's contract, Taylor's will expire at the end of the 2010 season. It is likely that Ike Taylor will be looking for a considerable raise over his $3.75 million 2010 salary. His current contract was signed in 2006 and was worth $22.5 million for 5 years. That included a $6.4 million signing bonus with a few performance and roster bonuses that he met. At the time, that contract made Taylor the highest paid defensive back in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/505618/ike-taylor-300x256_medium.jpg

This year will be one of the most important seasons in Ike's career. He will have to decide if he wants to remain a Pittsburgh Steeler or be bought in free agency for more money. Personally, I believe that he will not return to the black and gold. He will be looking for big money, and with a big contract like Woodley's on the horizon, there is likely not enough room for both. Additionally, there are rumors that Keenan Lewis is a rising talent in camp. Couple that with Bryant McFadden returning to the Black and Gold, and it looks like the Steelers might let Taylor shop around.

Now the question is, if he leaves, how much will it hurt the Pittsburgh Steelers defense? I am split on my opinion of Ike Taylor. On one foot (he has no hands), he is a great cover corner. Corners like Ike, who can shut out a receiver for most of the game, are few and far between. He is still blazing fast, as can be seen in this Woodley TD video. On the other foot, he could not catch a cold if an infected individual sneezed in his mouth. Tab Douglas did an interview with Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly on ESPN 1250: Stillers 365 and their first topic of discussion was Ike Taylor. Edholm elaborated on Ike being out there at camp running extra drills with quarterbacks and receivers to practice his catching. Personally, I do not believe anything will drastically improve. However, this is a contract year for Ike and there is not a more important time for him to figure it out. Creating turnovers are just as essential as shutting out a player as demonstrated by the strong correlation of the turnover ratio to wins.

What do you think Steelers fans? What will the Pittsburgh Steelers do with Ike Taylor at the end of this year?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -or-should (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/7/23/1583874/ike-taylor-should-i-stay-or-should)

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Ike is 30 years old right now. He'll play out the final year of his contract and will turn 31 next offseason. If there is a lockout and no football in 2011, then he would be 32 by the time the next season rolled around. Cornerbacks who are 32 years old do not break the bank...they just don't.

Plus, figure in that he has a special relationship with Dan Rooney (it is quite an unusually close bond between player and owner...I know Dan is the Ambassador to Ireland now, but this is still his team even though it is run by his son Art on a day-to-day basis).

I think if we give him a fair deal when the time comes, he will choose to stick around (I don't see a team jumping in and giving him a Godfather offer like Snyder did for Randle El several years ago).

jj28west
07-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Although there have been times where he gets in a mental funk... if there was something of CB rating stat, I believe Ike would be in the top 10 going by the last 5 years.

I am probably in the minority but I think we were spoiled by his effort overall. Yeah, he has bad hands but who could forget that INT of off Haselback when Seattle was driving.

The only time I saw him completely outplayed mentally & physically was when Denver's Javon Walker dominated him.

He gets burned now and then like that MNF game against Indy on the 1st play from scrimmage but overall he keeps the opponents #1 pretty quiet.

Its just too bad he does not have great hands.

Do you remember Willie Williams, Alvoid Mayes, Mckeyer, Washington,etc.?

Besides Carnell & Rod who was or is better than Ike?

Like QB's these guys are not easy to come by. Not everyone has a Reevis (sp) or Asomugha (sp) on their team.

Shawn
07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I believe it's likely that this will be the last year Ike plays for the Steelers. The Steelers rarely break the bank for 30+ yr old vets...and Ike will command that on the open market. We have 3 young guys who are showing some glimpses of being special DBs. Combine that with the possible lock out and signing Ike is about 30% in my mind.

stlrz d
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Ike is 30 years old right now. He'll play out the final year of his contract and will turn 31 next offseason. If there is a lockout and no football in 2011, then he would be 32 by the time the next season rolled around. Cornerbacks who are 32 years old do not break the bank...they just don't.

Plus, figure in that he has a special relationship with Dan Rooney (it is quite an unusually close bond between player and owner...I know Dan is the Ambassador to Ireland now, but this is still his team even though it is run by his son Art on a day-to-day basis).

I think if we give him a fair deal when the time comes, he will choose to stick around (I don't see a team jumping in and giving him a Godfather offer like Snyder did for Randle El several years ago).

Agreed. No team is gonna give him big bucks. He stays.

Shawn
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM

Agreed. No team is gonna give him big bucks. He stays.

I fully expect him to command top 5-10 DB money on the open market. I doubt the Steelers will be a team to pay that.

NorthCoast
07-25-2010, 04:43 PM
One other factor, he has been an ironman in terms of games missed. That counts huge in my book....but yes, turnovers would be nice too. I would not sign him for top 5 money but maybe top 10.

Shawn
07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
One other factor, he has been an ironman in terms of games missed. That counts huge in my book....but yes, turnovers would be nice too. I would not sign him for top 5 money but maybe top 10.

Yeah INTs would be nice but Ike is about as close to a shut down corner as they come. Not to mention he might be the best run supporting corner in the NFL. He has never gotten as much love as he deserves from fans. But, he's 30 with maybe 3 more top notch seasons left in him.

aggiebones
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
we will pay him more than you think he's worth and he will stay quietly.

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out.

In trying to get my head around it, I come up with a few scenarios:

A. the steelers want to keep Ike- but are not going to overpay.
I think they'll likely offer no more than 5 to 6 mill p/yr on a 4 yr deal with 10mil guaranteed. Effectively making this a 2 year deal.
>>>> Ike's agent tell him he can get much more- (lets say 30% more on the open market) I don't know if Ike can turn down that extra $5+mil in guaranteed money...

B. the young guys show enough development that the team believes Ike is expendable, and they only make a token offer.
>>>> Ike leaves

C. the team puts a franchise tag on him-
>>>> This is almost certain to not happen, (even if the franchise tag is still in existence) because the Franchise amount for a CB is preposterously high.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Ike Taylor: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

by Johnny_S on Jul 23, 2010

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/486989/52728_chargers_steelers_football.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor breaks up a pass for San Diego Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

Most of the chatter this off season has been about LaMarr Woodley's contract and the moronic 30 percent rule under the current CBA. It has led some of us to push other expiring contracts to the backs of our minds. While most people are fretting about Woodley, they have forgotten about another important player, Ike Taylor, whose contract also expires at the end of this season. Ike has not been a big fan favorite because of his inability to use basic motor skills and catch a football, grabbing only 9 interceptions in 76 starts (109 games). However, most people can appreciate that he has been a shutdown corner that manned one side of the field for several great defenses and two Super Bowl teams. I actually believe that his stone hands have kept him from being a Pro Bowler and out of the conversation of the top CBs in the league.

Like Woodley's contract, Taylor's will expire at the end of the 2010 season. It is likely that Ike Taylor will be looking for a considerable raise over his $3.75 million 2010 salary. His current contract was signed in 2006 and was worth $22.5 million for 5 years. That included a $6.4 million signing bonus with a few performance and roster bonuses that he met. At the time, that contract made Taylor the highest paid defensive back in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This year will be one of the most important seasons in Ike's career. He will have to decide if he wants to remain a Pittsburgh Steeler or be bought in free agency for more money. Personally, I believe that he will not return to the black and gold. He will be looking for big money, and with a big contract like Woodley's on the horizon, there is likely not enough room for both. Additionally, there are rumors that Keenan Lewis is a rising talent in camp. Couple that with Bryant McFadden returning to the Black and Gold, and it looks like the Steelers might let Taylor shop around.

Now the question is, if he leaves, how much will it hurt the Pittsburgh Steelers defense? I am split on my opinion of Ike Taylor. On one foot (he has no hands), he is a great cover corner. Corners like Ike, who can shut out a receiver for most of the game, are few and far between. He is still blazing fast, as can be seen in this Woodley TD video. On the other foot, he could not catch a cold if an infected individual sneezed in his mouth. Tab Douglas did an interview with Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly on ESPN 1250: Stillers 365 and their first topic of discussion was Ike Taylor. Edholm elaborated on Ike being out there at camp running extra drills with quarterbacks and receivers to practice his catching. Personally, I do not believe anything will drastically improve. However, this is a contract year for Ike and there is not a more important time for him to figure it out. Creating turnovers are just as essential as shutting out a player as demonstrated by the strong correlation of the turnover ratio to wins.

What do you think Steelers fans? What will the Pittsburgh Steelers do with Ike Taylor at the end of this year?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -or-should (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/7/23/1583874/ike-taylor-should-i-stay-or-should)

I think whenever someone says this kind of thing about Ike, they should be required to point out that his INTERCEPTION in Superbowl XL is considered by many to be the turning point of the game - snuffed out a potential go-ahead drive by the Walrus Turds.

Having said that, labelling him the football equivalent of Roberto Duran (Manos de Piedra - "Hands of Stone") is not totally off the wall!

ANPSTEEL
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM

I think whenever someone says this kind of thing about Ike, they should be required to point out that his INTERCEPTION in Superbowl XL is considered by many to be the turning point of the game - snuffed out a potential go-ahead drive by the Walrus Turds.

Having said that, labelling him the football equivalent of Roberto Duran (Manos de Piedra - "Hands of Stone") is not totally off the wall!

If my memmory serves me- I think Ike was actually covering a different receiver or covering a different zone- and made that play.

The key- either way- was he was facing the QB (and the ball)...

IMO, Ike's issue is not so much that he cannot catch...

(don't get me wrong- Ike is never going to be confused with John Jefferson)

http://www.chargertom.com/JJJeffersonEndzone.jpg

but the real problem is-

He is terrible at getting his head around and locating the ball.

Think of this in basketball terms--

sort of a Low Post player that can't play with his back to the basket.

Shoe
07-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Yeah INTs would be nice but Ike is about as close to a shut down corner as they come. Not to mention he might be the best run supporting corner in the NFL. He has never gotten as much love as he deserves from fans. But, he's 30 with maybe 3 more top notch seasons left in him.

I don't think that's the case at all, Shawn. I think he is a very solid run-support corner. And as a pass defender, I think he is better than what the majority of the league has (at corner). But "shutdown"? Maybe you and I have a differing opinion of shutdown, and how close someone is. And honestly, while DB hands aren't as important as many other things a DB must do... his hands are SO bad that I think they are a major knock on him.

Plus as said, he's 30. At this age, he have to expect slippage in his physical skills... especially at CB.

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM

It's obvious Ike dropped that pass.