PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kaye Cowher

birtikidis
07-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Wife of former coach Bill Cowher dies after fight with cancer. now i see why he left...

SteelCrazy
07-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers football coach Bill Cowher, died today in her native North Carolina after losing a battle with skin cancer. She was 54.

The Cowhers moved to Raleigh, N.C., during Mr. Cowher's final season coaching the Steelers, 2006, and continued to make it their home. Mr. Cowher resigned after the 2006 season, his 15th as Steelers head coach.

The Cowhers met when they were classmates at North Carolina State University in 1976. Mr. Cowher was on the football team and Mrs. Cowher, the former Kaye Young, and her twin sister, Faye, played basketball on full scholarships.

The Cowhers have three daughters, Megan, Lauren, and Lindsay, all of whom have been standout basketball players. The oldest two, Meagan and Lauren, played together at Princeton University.

The family has requested privacy and has released no information on Mrs. Cowher's death. Services will be held in North Carolina on Monday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10204/10 ... z0uZQXOG39 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10204/1075087-100.stm#ixzz0uZQXOG39)

birtikidis
07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
you're slow man.

birtikidis
07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
RIP Kaye...

SteelCrazy
07-24-2010, 12:27 AM
old age slowing down the body is not a myth..........

SteelCrazy
07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
This is really sad. I didn't even know she was sick. My prayers go out to the Cowher family.

birtikidis
07-24-2010, 12:29 AM

I feel ya man. i'm fighting it as much as I can!

Now, I wonder how big of a part this had in Bill leaving the 'burgh. I have a feeling this isn't something that just popped up.

Djfan
07-24-2010, 02:06 AM

Now, I wonder how big of a part this had in Bill leaving the 'burgh. I have a feeling this isn't something that just popped up.

that is exactly what I was thinking. Sad. My hope is that his faith will be strong.

birtikidis
07-24-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm glad that he had the last few years to be with her and to enjoy them to the fullest. really puts life into perspective.

frankthetank1
07-24-2010, 08:50 AM
wow this is very sad news. i had no idea she was ill. 54 is so young too.

stlrz d
07-24-2010, 09:39 AM
They really kept this a secret. Wow. So sad to hear.

Chadman
07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Damn.

That just sucks. I feel for Bill- obviously a devoted family man, this must shake him to the core. I hope the family rally to him & keep him strong.

Very sad news.

kindlecatsb'ng
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Reading this news gave me goose-bumps and a feeling of sadness.

Agree with those wondering how much this played in his retirement from the Steelers and his saying he will take it year to year to decide if he comes back into coaching.

What a reality check.

:(

Kindlecat

SteelerNation1
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Man. This sucks! As most of you have said, I had no idea she was ill. RIP Kaye. :(

Crash
07-24-2010, 12:03 PM
She was the driving force behind her husband's retirement in 2007, pressing him to move with her and their youngest daughter to North Carolina, help with the commute to basketball games, reunite the nuclear family before their final daughter left the nest.

Is that really necessary at a time like this?

Bouchette is such a douche.

feltdizz
07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't think anyone had his wife's health as the reason for retiring. Really puts it in perspective.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Shocking, awful news...feel absolutely terrible for Coach and their three girls.

I am indeed glad that they got the chance to spend a great deal of time together during the last few years of her life, living in N.C. where they met and getting to see their daughters play basketball together. Unfortunately, the life of an NFL coach doesn't come with as much quality family time as you might like, so Coach stepped away at the right time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20060206mfcowhercelebrate2_450.jpg

pfelix73
07-24-2010, 12:59 PM
My condolences to the entire Cowher family. This is shocking news. My heart goes out to those 3 girls especially. +

fezziwig
07-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Too sad and too young. I will always remember her at the stadium cheering Bill and the Steelers on. I especially remember her placing her hand on Bills cheek after the Super Bowl loss to the Cowgirls and trying to hold back the tears. I'm glad he retired and with hopes they spent more time together at the end. I'm glad she got to watch her girls grow to at least their current ages and I'm glad she got to experience Bill, herself and the girls winning the Super Bowl along with the Steelers.

RIP Kaye and comfort for all those that love her.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear coach. The Steelers family definately has you in their thoughts.

devilsdancefloor
07-24-2010, 02:48 PM
RIP kaye! heart goes out to the cowher family. Things look a little clearer about his last season as coach!

ghettoscott
07-24-2010, 02:48 PM
very sad news. RIP Kaye.

It would be sweet if the Steelers somehow honored her this year, something on the Jersey or helmet....NFL prolly wouldnt allow it though.....

Crash
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
A moment of silence before a game yes. That would be it though.

Cowher's father just died in April too. Damn.

cxr344
07-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Really shocking and sad to hear. My heart goes out to the Cowher family.

And kudos to the Rooneys & the rest of the Steelers organization for keeping this quiet at the time of his retirement. They had to know that this played into it, and it says a lot that there wasn't even the slightest leak of this information at the time (or since, for that matter).

Really puts the whole Cowher retirement situation into perspective, I've gone from feeling a little betrayed and jaded about him retiring to realizing that there were much more important factors that played into the decision, and he made the right choice, indeed the only choice. Glad he had a few good years to spend with the family together.

SteelCrazy
07-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher issued this statement today to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on the passing of his wife, Kaye:

"Sadly, my wife Kaye lost her battle with cancer on Friday. Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family. Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly.

"Kaye was the rock that we could all lean on in the tough times. She was looked up to by so many people and I cannot say enough about what Kaye meant to our family. Her memory will never be forgotten. We would like to thank everyone who has kept our family in their thoughts and prayers and for those who have reached out to express their condolences. It is clear that Kaye touched a lot of lives."

For anyone interested in making a donation on Mrs. Cowher's behalf, her family has asked that they be directed to Family Resources of Pennsylvania (412)-363-1702; http://www.familyresourcesofpa.org.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10205/10 ... z0uda47gEs (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10205/1075166-100.stm#ixzz0uda47gEs)

Iron Shiek
07-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow very shocking and sad indeed. RIP Kaye.

:cry:

BURGH86STEEL
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I am surprised by this news. I wish Cowher and his family the best moving forward.

rpmpit
07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Too sad and too young. I will always remember her at the stadium cheering Bill and the Steelers on. I especially remember her placing her hand on Bills cheek after the Super Bowl loss to the Cowgirls and trying to hold back the tears. I'm glad he retired and with hopes they spent more time together at the end. I'm glad she got to watch her girls grow to at least their current ages and I'm glad she got to experience Bill, herself and the girls winning the Super Bowl along with the Steelers.

RIP Kaye and comfort for all those that love her.

I was gonna mention the Super Bowl loss and Kaye conforting Bill as one of my fondest memories as a Steeler fan. We all needed comforting at that moment and Kaye seemed to be there for all of us. Its so sad. RIP Kaye. And all the best to Coach Cowher and the girls as they morn her loss.

jj28west
07-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Again, only speculation on my part but it may make more sense why Cowher may have been so emotionally numb after the Super Bowl.

My fondest memory was her and the girls going nuts at the Colts championship game up in the Skybox booth.

brothervad
07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
RIP Mrs. Cowher

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Cowher family at this time.

Turning out to be a bad day...

Wife friend miscarried
My neighbors daughter who I knew my whole life growing up died of breast cancer (50 y.o.)
And Kaye Cowher's passing.

Day can't end soon enough for me...

brothervad

BrownSteel
07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Blessings to the Cowher family. It really does put our life in perspective. No one knew the real reason why he retired and now we all know. Also factored into why he didn't take another job- probably made her a promise not to.

papillon
07-24-2010, 09:56 PM
God Bless the Cowher family, Steelernation mourns with you coach, the Steeler family will help carry you in your time of grief. +

Pappy

JAR
07-25-2010, 01:23 AM
WOW,just too freaking sad................RIP Kaye

eniparadoxgma
07-25-2010, 02:59 AM
R.I.P.

ColumbusSteelerFan
07-25-2010, 07:02 AM
RIP Mrs. Cowher. I had no idea either that she was going through all this. Prayers this morning for Bill and his entire family.

JTP53609
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
so his daughters are away at college, his wife just passed and his dad just passed....I really feel bad for Bill Cowher, he is all by himself, he has to feel like a very lonely person. I hope he has family in Carolina.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Bill Cowher: "Kaye was the rock we could all lean on"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 24, 2010

The image is one NFL fans, especially in Pittsburgh, will never forget.

Bill Cowher, finally having climbed the mountain to Super Bowl champion, was embraced by his wife and three daughters at the moment he reached his career pinnacle.

The NFL world was saddened to learn Kaye Cowher, Bill's wife, passed away Friday at the age of 54 to skin cancer. Bill Cowher remembered Kaye in a statement released Saturday.

"Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family," Cowher said. "Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly.

"Kaye was the rock that we could all lean on in the tough times. She was looked up to by so many people and I cannot say enough about what Kaye meant to our family. Her memory will never be forgotten. We would like to thank everyone who has kept our family in their thoughts and prayers and for those who have reached out to express their condolences. It is clear that Kaye touched a lot of lives."

Services are scheduled for Kaye Cowher Monday in North Carolina. The Cowher family asked that anyone interested in making a donation on Kaye's behalf be directed to Family Resources of Pennsylvania.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-lean-on/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/24/bill-cowher-kaye-was-the-rock-we-could-all-lean-on/)

NorthCoast
07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever,
because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever,
but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
- Miss Alabama, 1994 Miss Universe contestant

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
- Woody Allen

Kaye Cowher....may you find joy and happiness in the afterlife....

ANPSTEEL
07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
God Bless the Cowher family, Steelernation mourns with you coach, the Steeler family will help carry you in your time of grief. +

Pappy

Well said Pap

Steelers>NFL
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
RIP Kaye.
God Bless the Cowher family.

Ghost
07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
So young. Such a shame. The heart goes out to the family.

ramblinjim
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Rest in Peace Mrs. Cowher.

Oviedo
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
so his daughters are away at college, his wife just passed and his dad just passed....I really feel bad for Bill Cowher, he is all by himself, he has to feel like a very lonely person. I hope he has family in Carolina.

He has a home in Carolins but that doesn't mean he will be there much. His TV duties will start to ramp up over the next month and if I'm not mistaken his youngest daughter is going to college somewhere in the Carolinas.

What I do think this means is that Cowher will be coaching an NFL team next year. He is going to need something to fill the hole in his life. In order of who would want them once they get rid of their current coach I would say:

1. Dallas
2. Carolina
3. NY Giants
4. Chicago

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM

He has a home in Carolins but that doesn't mean he will be there much. His TV duties will start to ramp up over the next month and if I'm not mistaken his youngest daughter is going to college somewhere in the Carolinas.

What I do think this means is that Cowher will be coaching an NFL team next year. He is going to need something to fill the hole in his life. In order of who would want them once they get rid of their current coach I would say:

1. Dallas
2. Carolina
3. NY Giants
4. Chicago

Yeah, Lindsay (his youngest) is playing basketball at Wofford in Spartanburg, SC. Her older sisters Meagan and Lauren played together at Princeton.

As a possible Cowher return to coaching, Tomlin should hire him to be our defensive coordinator when LeBeau retires.

:stirpot :wink:

proudpittsburgher
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
wow, shocked when I read this. I, among many others had no idea she was sick. RIP.

BDESteel
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
my sympathies go out to the Cowher family.

Shoe
07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever,
because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever,
but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
- Miss Alabama, 1994 Miss Universe contestant

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
- Woody Allen

Kaye Cowher....may you find joy and happiness in the afterlife....

Did Miss Alabama really say that? It's so inane and profound at the same time.

RIP Mrs. Cowher.

Skin cancer--it's a even scarier proposition than other types of cancer... just feels like anyone can get it (us being in the sun all the time).

Lonbull
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I can only hope that Bill Cowher and the girls had the opportunity to spend a number of good days with Kaye before she passed away.

As a Steeler fan what I would like to see is the following - a large sign saying something like "Kaye's Korner" - for the rest of the season - hanging from one of the lower level corner sections, near the endzone.

It would show that Steeler fans appreciate the idea of loyalty and family - it would give Pittsburgh faithful a way of saying thank you to the Cowher Family, and a way of showing some support to Bill and his children.

And if the NFL wants to knock it down - do it again the following game - the message will eventually reach the right people (meaning Bill and his kids).

Below is "In his own words - with Bill Cowher - from the NFL Network"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/137409/in-their-own-words-bill-cowher

Lonbull
07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll add that Cowher's "In their own words" they have a couple of segments on his family life.

L.B.

proudpittsburgher
07-28-2010, 05:21 AM
As a Steeler fan what I would like to see is the following - a large sign saying something like "Kaye's Korner" - for the rest of the season - hanging from one of the lower level corner sections, near the endzone.

It would show that Steeler fans appreciate the idea of loyalty and family - it would give Pittsburgh faithful a way of saying thank you to the Cowher Family, and a way of showing some support to Bill and his children.

And if the NFL wants to knock it down - do it again the following game - the message will eventually reach the right people (meaning Bill and his kids).

Great idea, Lonbull. :tt1 Any season ticket holders on the rail wanna do it?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
My heart goes out to Cowher and his family.

grotonsteel
07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
RIP Mrs Cowher

I really hope Merck/Sanofi/Wyeth/Pfizer come up with vaccine for Cancer.