PDA

View Full Version : way OT...the buccos

JTP53609
07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I really do think that we are going to be okay, and next year we will challenge to go over the magical 500 mark. Pedro Alvarez is a star in the making, he has the 45 home run potential that we have been waiting to see, he will be an all star for years to come, we need to lock him up NOW....
McCutchen is an all star and has been hitting around 300 all year with little around him.
Tabata and Walker are young and good, they have the right attitudes and I love watching them play, especially Walker,
Garrett Jones is decent, I dont think he is a superstar, but a 280 hitter with 20 homers and 90 RBI's is fine with me,
Cedeno is okay for a shortstop and Doumit is decent for a catcher. Millledge gives it his all and thats all I can ask for, if he can develop a little more power than I am happy.

That leaves our pitching as the question, if we can get some arms throgh free agency and develop our pitching with the decent bullpen we have, I really thing we are going to be good next year. This team is going to be good in 2 years, I mean competing for the division, and I think McCutchen and Alvarez are the reasons for the turnaround, we finally have 2 super stars in the making with a decent supporting cast.

SteelBucks
07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
The Lumber Company! :Boobs

IMO, they still need a quality SS, C, and a couple of solid starting pitchers before competing within the division. I will admit though, it's been fun watching the young guys since the All-Star break.

grotonsteel
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I really do think that we are going to be okay, and next year we will challenge to go over the magical 500 mark. Pedro Alvarez is a star in the making, he has the 45 home run potential that we have been waiting to see, he will be an all star for years to come, we need to lock him up NOW....
McCutchen is an all star and has been hitting around 300 all year with little around him.
Tabata and Walker are young and good, they have the right attitudes and I love watching them play, especially Walker,
Garrett Jones is decent, I dont think he is a superstar, but a 280 hitter with 20 homers and 90 RBI's is fine with me,
Cedeno is okay for a shortstop and Doumit is decent for a catcher. Millledge gives it his all and thats all I can ask for, if he can develop a little more power than I am happy.

That leaves our pitching as the question, if we can get some arms throgh free agency and develop our pitching with the decent bullpen we have, I really thing we are going to be good next year. This team is going to be good in 2 years, I mean competing for the division, and I think McCutchen and Alvarez are the reasons for the turnaround, we finally have 2 super stars in the making with a decent supporting cast.

One good season from Alvarez and Nutting will trade Alvarez to the highest bidder. Most probably Yankees or Red Sux.

frankthetank1
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM

One good season from Alvarez and Nutting will trade Alvarez to the highest bidder. Most probably Yankees or Red Sux.

if alvarez was a veteran that would be true. no way the pirates will trade away young talent, besides capps. mcclouth wasnt old when he was traded but he seems to be a one season wonder.

aggiebones
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
This is my last go around for the Buccos. If they gut this team again, then I'm sending them my World Series ring in a body bag.

Seriously, I don't believe that they will chop the team this time. The pieces are there. They could add a bit and make a run next season.

flippy
07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I wanna believe, but am skeptical.

I've gotten my hopes up too many times. I felt like this would be a promising year and the only excitement has been Alvarez imho.

We still have so many needs.

A couple of arms could get us to 500. But I don't see any being ready fast enough. And by the time this happens, Alvarez will be long gone.

We essentially need a bunch of young guys to come along at the same time to the MLB level and dominate. For this to happen, we're gonna need an improved farm club. And then we need to win before guys leave for big money elsewhere.

I've gotten to see the minor league teams for Tampa (AAA) and Colorado (AA) and Florida (AA) over the last decade or so a bunch of times and if you saw them play, you knew these players were gonna boost their major league teams and turn them into some of the leagues best. There have been sensational players that have come through NC during this time.

I just don't see those bunches of MLB star players in the Pittsburgh farm club. And I definitely don't see them coming along together. That's our only hope.

msp26505
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I wanna believe, but am skeptical.

I've gotten my hopes up too many times. I felt like this would be a promising year and the only excitement has been Alvarez imho.

We still have so many needs.

A couple of arms could get us to 500. But I don't see any being ready fast enough. And by the time this happens, Alvarez will be long gone.

We essentially need a bunch of young guys to come along at the same time to the MLB level and dominate. For this to happen, we're gonna need an improved farm club. And then we need to win before guys leave for big money elsewhere.

I've gotten to see the minor league teams for Tampa (AAA) and Colorado (AA) and Florida (AA) over the last decade or so a bunch of times and if you saw them play, you knew these players were gonna boost their major league teams and turn them into some of the leagues best. There have been sensational players that have come through NC during this time.

I just don't see those bunches of MLB star players in the Pittsburgh farm club. And I definitely don't see them coming along together. That's our only hope.

Always the pessimist, flip.

Jeez...these are the buccos we're talking about. What could possibly go wrong?

flippy
07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Always the pessimist, flip.

Jeez...these are the buccos we're talking about. What could possibly go wrong?

:lol

Skepticism is the new optimism where the Buccos are concerned.

proudpittsburgher
07-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Honestly, I am so jaded by the nuttings for a couple of reasons. One, I work for one of their newspapers, and they have run the team just like our newspaper. And not in a good way. I just don't think you buy a sports team of any kind if you are so concerned about the bottom line, that it effects how you go about tryign to win. Up until this point, i feel like this is the way they go about their business, and it has jaded me as a fan.

That being said, this is my last go around too. I just plunked down 25 bucks a month to watch these young guys, Tabata, Alvarez, Walker, and some of the pitchers because I really o feel like this is the start of something good. I told my co-workers that I really feel like we are going to finish the second half playing better than .500 ball. So far, so good . . . I like what I am seeing out there.

Now, it's up to the Nuttings to follow through on this. At some point,, possibly as early as next season but definately by the following season, we are going to have to ad some kind of veteran presence on this team, at least one pitcher or vet position player, who is going to require them to spend the money to get him. I'm not talking Arod, but someone like a Cliff Lee or a roy Oswalt type . . . someone to get us over the hump and compete for a World Series.

The pieces are definately in place for the next few years . . . I am willing to wipe the slate clean on the Nuttings and start over with how I feel about the way they go about their business. Let's see what they do with this.

Oviedo
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
The Lumber Company! :Boobs

IMO, they still need a quality SS, C, and a couple of solid starting pitchers before competing within the division. I will admit though, it's been fun watching the young guys since the All-Star break.

I think Cedeno is doing OK at shortstop.

We definitely need a Catcher but the greatest need is two top of the order pitchers who are not soft throwing off speed guys. This will be the biggest challenge because the Pirates will never be able to afford them in free agency and it takes 3-5 years to develop them within the system.

Dee Dub
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
....Pedro Alvarez is a star in the making....

True Dat...but his glory years will more than likely be with the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, or Mets.

Pirates are the worst organization in all of baseball.

Go REDS!!! :wink: