PDA

View Full Version : Randle El rails against Snyder, says owner held back 'Skins

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/18/randle-el-snyder-was-too-involved-hurt-zorn-skins/

Randle El: Snyder was ‘too involved,’ hurt Zorn, ‘Skins
Posted: July 18th, 2010 | Adam Rank

Antwaan Randle El is happy to be back with the Steelers. Or more to the point, away from the circus known as the Redskins.

The Redskins were a team in transition during the receiver’s four years in Washington. Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs came and went, and Jim Zorn seemingly was a lame-duck coach from the get go. Zorn’s employment status was one of the most deliberated topics inside the Beltway during his tumultuous two years, falling somewhere between health care and immigration reform.

Zorn never seemed to be the apple of Redskins owner Daniel Snyder‘s eye, and that was the problem, according to Randle El (via the Northwest Indiana Times).

“When Jim Zorn was there, he was hands-on,” Randle El said. “He had great potential, but Dan Snyder was too involved because he didn’t trust coach Zorn as much as he did coach (Joe) Gibbs, and those were things that prevented us from success as a team.”

The good news for both sides is that Randle El is where he wants to be after giving consideration to the Ravens and Patriots. And Snyder has found his man, Mike Shanahan.

Here is the Northwest Indiana Times article that was referenced in that NFL.com blog:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/article_4acc4eeb-adf2-53d9-95bd-ac92f74a1504.html

Randle El ready for second act in Pittsburgh
By Vince Vosti Times Correspondent
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:46 pm

As he addressed the teenagers who came out to the Antwaan Randle El Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy Saturday morning in the gymnasium at Thornton High School, the keynote speaker easily could have used any of a number of high-profile athletes to make his point about the dangers of being led astray, but he chose not to.

Antwaan Randle El, instead, focused on a positive way to view and handle life's many challenges.

"That's why we are here, young folks," Randle El said to the 200-plus youths in attendance. "This isn't all about football."

Randle El signed with his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, on March 8 after playing four seasons at wide receiver for the Washington Redskins. Randle El said he also considered offers from a handful of teams this spring, including Baltimore and New England, before deciding to return to the team with whom he won a Super Bowl in 2006.

"I just prayed to God to lead and guide me, and that is what he did," Randle El said. "Coming back to the Steelers was the best for me."

Though the Redskins released Randle El this spring, the former Thornton multi-sport star put up some of his best seasons, statistically, in Washington. Last year, he caught 50 passes for 530 yards and no touchdowns, numbers down slightly from his career-best 53 catches in 2008 or his 728 yards he compiled while a Redskin in 2007.

"When (former Redskins coach) Jim Zorn was there, he was hands-on," Randle El said. "He had great potential, but (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder was too involved because he didn't trust coach Zorn as much as he did coach (Joe) Gibbs, and those were things that prevented us from success as a team."

Randle El has already gone through June workouts with the Steelers, and he will return to Pittsburgh in two weeks to begin training camp. The Steelers will be without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was suspended for six games by the NFL for an offseason incident at a bar involving a young woman in Georgia. Randle El said the situation has affected the team, which needs Roethlisberger at quarterback this season.

"When mistakes like that happen, especially to athletes, we are held under a microscope like you wouldn't believe," Randle El said as he watched campers begin agility drills. "We know we have to watch who we hang out with and who we are around, because as athletes we are held to a different standard."

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I actually found myself feeling sorry for Jim Zorn at times last season.

Daniel Snyder, Al Davis and Jerry Jones are the three owners I dislike the most.

Steelers>NFL
07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Randle El can say all he wants about Snyder. But Randle El did not have a problem
with being one of the most overpaid WR in the game, did he? He took the money.
He knew what he was getting into when he went to the Skins.

Eich
07-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Dan Snyder is an awful owner and everyone here in the DC area loathes him. But I also don't think that Zorn was a good head coach. And I don't see the need for Randel El to comment about it.

stlrz d
07-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Randle El can say all he wants about Snyder. But Randle El did not have a problem

So he's not allowed to comment on it?

ikestops85
07-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Of course he took the money. Why wouldn't he? Snyder is stupid enough to offer outrageous salaries to players and Randle El was fortunate enough to get one of those offers.

I'll never understand why fans get so ticked off at players who accept those offers yet have no qualms about casting off players who are starting to slide (Farrior anyone?). It's a business. The teams have to make a business decision and the players have to make a business decision.

I'm not a big fan of the city of Cleveland but if someone offered me a job there at double my salary I'm calling the moving company. This year, more than any other, shows what type of organization the Steelers have. The PR they've gotten from ARE, Foote, Leftwich and McFadden is priceless.

I think it will help them greatly down the road keep the players they want for a discount. That discount will problably only be 5 or 10 percent but $100,000 here and $100,000 there and pretty soon you are talking about real money. :) Just don't think a player is going to leave a million dollars or more on the table. That would just be stupid.

Steelers>NFL
07-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Of course he took the money. Why wouldn't he? Snyder is stupid enough to offer outrageous salaries to players and Randle El was fortunate enough to get one of those offers.

I'll never understand why fans get so ticked off at players who accept those offers yet have no qualms about casting off players who are starting to slide (Farrior anyone?). It's a business. The teams have to make a business decision and the players have to make a business decision.

I'm not a big fan of the city of Cleveland but if someone offered me a job there at double my salary I'm calling the moving company. This year, more than any other, shows what type of organization the Steelers have. The PR they've gotten from ARE, Foote, Leftwich and McFadden is priceless.

I think it will help them greatly down the road keep the players they want for a discount. That discount will problably only be 5 or 10 percent but $100,000 here and $100,000 there and pretty soon you are talking about real money. :) Just don't think a player is going to leave a million dollars or more on the table. That would just be stupid.
I am not, nor was ticked off that he got that kind of money. I like El alot.
But he knew what he was getting into when he went to the Skins. Not winners.
In plain words, quit bitching. He got paid alot of money playing for losers.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":8ff4m24e]Randle El can say all he wants about Snyder. But Randle El did not have a problem

In plain words, quit bitching. He got paid alot of money playing for losers.[/quote:8ff4m24e]

So if he's asked about it he's not supposed to say anything? It has no impact on his current team other than to actually boost their status as doing things the right way so what's the big deal? He's simply saying what everyone already knows anyway. Didn't sound like whining to me, just sounded like someone saying something about an organization they were once part of.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 12:11 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":29emypeh]Randle El can say all he wants about Snyder. But Randle El did not have a problem

In plain words, quit bitching. He got paid alot of money playing for losers.[/quote:29emypeh]

So if he's asked about it he's not supposed to say anything? It has no impact on his current team other than to actually boost their status as doing things the right way so what's the big deal? He's simply saying what everyone already knows anyway. Didn't sound like whining to me, just sounded like someone saying something about an organization they were once part of.

ikestops85
07-21-2010, 12:19 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":126955qa]Randle El can say all he wants about Snyder. But Randle El did not have a problem

In plain words, quit bitching. He got paid alot of money playing for losers.[/quote:126955qa]

I don't hear him bitching. He was expressing an opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. I live in the DC area and you never heard a negative thing about ARE when he was here.

I don't think he thought he was going to play for losers. He played for a 3 time SB winning coach with Joe Gibbs. I don't think players considered playing for Gibbs as playing for a loser. I am sure their are many players in the league who don't realize how big of an arse Snyder is.

Anyway, I'm glad ARE decided to return the Steeler family. I look forward to him making some big plays for us this year. Of course that depends on Arians figuring out a way to use his diverse talents.