PDA

View Full Version : Steelers linebacker Farrior: better, not older

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Steelers linebacker Farrior: better, not older

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/10/24/Pittsburgh/james-farrior.jpg

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Ask inside linebacker and co-captain James Farrior about the uneven performance of the Steelers defense last season, and he doesn't hesitate to point the finger of blame at himself.

"I left a lot of plays out on the field. There were some situations I could have played a lot better," Farrior said Monday following a three-hour workout at ESPN Wide World of Sports. "No matter what anybody says, we had a bad year. I didn't play as well as I wanted to play, and I know a lot of guys on the team felt the same way."

Finishing 9-7 a year after winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers missed the playoffs by one game, For Farrior, a player accustomed to an overabundance of success during 13 NFL seasons, not reaching the postseason was unacceptable.

Especially when Farrior didn't perform up to his normal lofty standards.

At 35 and the second-oldest player on the team (behind quarterback Charlie Batch), Farrior suggests he's getting better, not older. He also predicts a turnaround not only for himself, but for a defense that's anxious to reclaim its status among the league's most dominant units.

Farrior said media criticism regarding his individual performance — despite leading the team in tackles four consecutive seasons — has given him unexpected motivation.

"That adds fuel to the fire. That's one of the motivating factors for me — how bad we played last year. You're going to do everything in your power not to let that happen again," said Farrior, who is entering the third year of a five-year contract. "Whenever people doubt you, say negative stuff about you, as a competitor, you try to prove everybody wrong. It makes you want to work that much harder.

"I don't feel like the oldest guy on the team. Age is just a number. I don't want to put a time limit on anything. As long as my body feels healthy, as long as I'm mentally into it, I want to keep playing."

That's why Farrior, who calls defensive signals, was pushing himself under the watchful eye of speed and conditioning guru Tom Shaw only 11 days before the opening of training camp.

Based on yesterday's workout, Farrior didn't act his age. He didn't take extra water breaks in the stifling heat and humidity and went all-out in every drill.

"That's why I come down here with Tom. He knows how to get people in shape," Farrior said. "He treats everybody the same. We know when he gives us a drill, it's going to be very beneficial for us."

Farrior appears determined to bounce back from last season. He remains confident he hasn't lost a step and sees no reason why he shouldn't be on the field for passing downs.

Dating to 2001 in his final season with the New York Jets before joining the Steelers as a free agent, Farrior has started 140 of a possible 144 games. He hasn't missed a start since 2005.

"That's my goal, to be out there as much as I can," said Farrior, who made it clear he believes he's the best player for the position. "I never want to come off the field. As far as the coaching goes, that's up to them what they decide to do."

Even after all these years, Farrior still believes his game has room for improvement.

"If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be out here busting my butt every day. If I didn't think I could get better and help this team try to get to another championship, I would give it up," Farrior said. "I understand that I'm getting older and I'm not getting any faster or stronger, but as long as I can maintain that high level of play, I still want to play."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_691133.html

Steelers>NFL
07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
He is still getting old. And definately getting slower. Still smart too!

ter1230_4
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Farrior is no longer a three down LB. He simply cannot be allowed to play on third (or fourth) downs. He cost us games last year.

Oviedo
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Farrior is no longer a three down LB. He simply cannot be allowed to play on third (or fourth) downs. He cost us games last year.

I wonder if on third down if he switched roles with Timmons with Timmons being the coverage guy and Farrior being the run stop guy if that would keep him on the field.

Bottomline is that he did take a step back last year and this is probably his last.

cruzer8
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the return of Smith and Polamalu will help Farrior's coverage abilities.

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM

I wonder if on third down if he switched roles with Timmons with Timmons being the coverage guy and Farrior being the run stop guy if that would keep him on the field.

Bottomline is that he did take a step back last year and this is probably his last.

In nickel, I'd rather put Timmons and Harrison next to each other in the middle, with Woodley and Worilds as rush ends.

flippy
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Key is deserving of more playing time imho.

NC Steeler Fan
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I have to agree with Cruzer8.

I think that our D had a cast of core characters that, if missing one key piece, lost a lot of chemistry on the field.

You could say that players ought to be able to adjust to whomever's in the mix, but I think they were all shocked and thrown off balance when Troy went down and never really recovered.

Easy to say after the fact, I know, but it just seemed all too clear we were never the same without him.

Maybe if, heaven forbid, we lose another component this year, it won't be such a shock that they don't realize how quickly they have to shake it off and adjust.

pittpete
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Id have to agree also.
Two that come to mind are the Bengal game on 4th down with thier FB and Ray Rice against the Ravens.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Id have to agree also.
Two that come to mind are the Bengal game on 4th down with thier FB and Ray Rice against the Ravens.

What Rice did to Farrior he does to a lot of LBers. He had 78 catches for 702 yards last year.

ter1230_4
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Id have to agree also.

What Rice did to Farrior he does to a lot of LBers. He had 78 catches for 702 yards last year.

Maybe, but let's take a little closer look at that particular situation. The Ratbirds were down by three points with about three and a half minutes left, had a couple of timeouts left, and were facing a 4th down and 5 on their side of the 50 yard line. Harbaugh sent on the punting unit, which given the situation is what an NFL team would do about 99% of the time. That is especially true given the Raven's confidence in their defense. All of a sudden Harbaugh calls a timeout, and then sends his offense back out to go for it on 4th down. If they go for it and don't get it, the Ravens have basically lost the game. The only thing they can hope for is to get the ball back deep in their own territory with no timeouts and less than 2 minutes to go. There is one and only one possible conclusion that can be drawn--Harbaugh had a play that, from watching the film, he KNEW would work, and that play was to throw to Rice because Farrior could no longer cover backs.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Id have to agree also.

Maybe, but let's take a little closer look at that particular situation. The Ratbirds were down by three points with about three and a half minutes left, had a couple of timeouts left, and were facing a 4th down and 5 on their side of the 50 yard line. Harbaugh sent on the punting unit, which given the situation is what an NFL team would do about 99% of the time. That is especially true given the Raven's confidence in their defense. All of a sudden Harbaugh calls a timeout, and then sends his offense back out to go for it on 4th down. If they go for it and don't get it, the Ravens have basically lost the game. The only thing they can hope for is to get the ball back deep in their own territory with no timeouts and less than 2 minutes to go. There is one and only one possible conclusion that can be drawn--Harbaugh had a play that, from watching the film, he KNEW would work, and that play was to throw to Rice because Farrior could no longer cover backs.

Flacco was checking down to Rice all season long. 78 catches for 702 yards. Yes it sucks that we got burned by it but so did a lot of other teams.

skyhawk
07-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Farrior gets alot of unfair criticism IMO.

ter1230_4
07-22-2010, 03:14 AM

Yeah, right, Potsie will be effective well into his 40's.

Shawn
07-22-2010, 06:57 AM
They didn't bring Foote in to sit. If Farrior isn't done as a starter...it's real real close. I seen a guy who was more than a step slower last season. Maybe Shaw can get him ready for one more season as a starter but I suspect he will not end the season as a Steeler starting LBr.

stlrz d
07-22-2010, 07:53 AM

I suspect that criticism will change once Smith is back collapsing the pocket and Troy is back doing his thing. Farrior won't be trying to cover for as long and suddenly his coverage skills will be "better".

frankthetank1
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
one thing that bothered me last season was all the missed tackles farrior had last season. it seemed like he had a lot more missed tackles last season then he has had throughout his career. we have the most depth at MLB in the nfl there is no reason why we need farrior to be on the field in 3rd down.

Leper Friend
07-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Id have to agree also.

What about the end of the first Bengal game ? It was 4th down with under a minute inside the 20 and Farrior was isolated with a fullback and couldn't cover him.

While isolating one or two plays isn't fair but there are other examples. It's obvious he's not a 3 down player anymore. With the athleticism they have at LB it's rediculous to put Farrior in that position anymore.Let him be a "leader" and make tackles on 1st and 2nd down.

cruzer8
07-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Id have to agree also.

What about the end of the first Bengal game ? It was 4th down with under a minute inside the 20 and Farrior was isolated with a fullback and couldn't cover him.

While isolating one or two plays isn't fair but there are other examples. It's obvious he's not a 3 down player anymore. With the athleticism they have at LB it's rediculous to put Farrior in that position anymore.Let him be a "leader" and make tackles on 1st and 2nd down.

I remember that play too. He took a bad angle and couldn't catch up. No one is perfect.

skyhawk
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Id have to agree also.

I remember that play too. He took a bad angle and couldn't catch up. No one is perfect.

You're right. You can't cover everyone. THEY get paid too! And with the AFC North having some of the best RB's in the NFL they will be harder to cover. Farrior is not like he was when he got here but he is becoming the whipping boy and scapegoat from everyone here. I don't buy it.

And if Foote was picked up to replace Farrior for his pass coverage that was one of the reasons he was expendable in the trade to the Lions b/c that was one of his weaknesses. :roll:

ter1230_4
07-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Yeah, Potsie took a LOT of bad angles last year.

And if Foote was picked up to replace Farrior for his pass coverage that was one of the reasons he was expendable in the trade to the Lions b/c that was one of his weaknesses

Ah, Foote wasn't traded to the Lions. He asked to be released from the final year of his contract, because he knew that the Steelers were looking to get their first round pick, Timmons, into his starting LB position. As to pass coverage skills, I'll take 30 year old Foote over 35 year old Potsie every day of the week. Riddle me this: Do you think that the Steelers resigned Foote to a 3 year $9 million contract to be a backup for the next three years? I don't. I think they resigned Foote because after the season was over they finally took a good look at the film and didn't like what they saw.

I don't blame people for having a soft spot for James Farrior. His play in 2004 and 2005 was spectacular. But time marches on, and his level of play has been diminishing for the past couple of seasons, especially last year. One of the toughest things for a football team to do is recognize when one of its most stalwart players is reaching the end of the line, especially someone who is not only a good player but a great guy, a team leader, like Farrior is. But failure to recognize the need for change, loyalty to players that have achieved so much, can be disasterous. One of the main reasons the Steelers were unable to sustain their initial dynasty (besides the loss of their franchise QB Bradshaw) was their reluctance to part with players who had reached the end of the road. We might get one more year out of Farrior, but he needs to be off the field on 3rd and 4th downs.

stlrz d
07-22-2010, 09:14 PM
It's got nothing to do with having a soft spot for Farrior.

You watch how it will be different with Troy and Smith back this season.

ter1230_4
07-22-2010, 11:09 PM
It's got nothing to do with having a soft spot for Farrior.

You watch how it will be different with Troy and Smith back this season

Maybe it will, assuming that they are both healthy and playing like they are capable of playing. Having McFadden back won't hurt either. But it's pure wishful thinking to believe that getting Troy and Smith back will get Farrior back the one or two steps that he had clearly lost last year. Do you really think that Farrior is going to play forever?

stlrz d
07-23-2010, 07:44 AM
[quote="stlrz d":pzupbukr]It's got nothing to do with having a soft spot for Farrior.

You watch how it will be different with Troy and Smith back this season

Maybe it will, assuming that they are both healthy and playing like they are capable of playing. Having McFadden back won't hurt either. But it's pure wishful thinking to believe that getting Troy and Smith back will get Farrior back the one or two steps that he had clearly lost last year. Do you really think that Farrior is going to play forever?[/quote:pzupbukr]

Of course not. But like any player in football he needs help from a supporting cast, and he's also supporting cast for other teammates.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how Farrior "steps up" his play when he's got those guys back. And steps up is in quotes for a reason.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Farrior IS getting older, and his skills ARE declining. It happens to all players as they age.
If you're dependent on a couple of star players to "mask" the deficiencies of the aging player, then you leave yourself vulnerable if those stars should become injured.

Farrior still can contribute, but it's obviously time to get him off the field part of the time, with younger talent learning his role.

cruzer8
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Farrior IS getting older, and his skills ARE declining. It happens to all players as they age.
If you're dependent on a couple of star players to "mask" the deficiencies of the aging player, then you leave yourself vulnerable if those stars should become injured.

Farrior still can contribute, but it's obviously time to get him off the field part of the time, with younger talent learning his role.

It's not about masking. Having a guy who can collapse the pocket and a guy who can roam the short middle makes any linebackers job (young or old) that much easier.

ter1230_4
07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Let's put Farrior's age into prospective. He was drafted by the Jets in the 1997 NFL Draft. Out of the approximately 230 picks that year, only 14 played in the NFL during the 2009 season. Other than Farrior, the list of players still playing from that year's draft include Orlando Pace, Darren Sharper, Jason Taylor, Tony Gonzalez, Ronde Barbar and Mike Vrabel. How many of those guys do you think will still be playing 2 years from now? Probably not many. And it will be because of the simple fact that football is a young man's game. Some of the players from that 1997 draft who are out of football include Peter Bouleware, Warrick Dunn, and Jamie Sharper (not to mention the Steelers 2nd round pick that year, Will Blackwell). Anyone who watched the Steelers last year saw that Farrior had lost a step or two. The only sure cure for that ailment is retirement.

cruzer8
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Let's put Farrior's age into prospective. He was drafted by the Jets in the 1997 NFL Draft. Out of the approximately 230 picks that year, only 14 played in the NFL during the 2009 season. Other than Farrior, the list of players still playing from that year's draft include Orlando Pace, Darren Sharper, Jason Taylor, Tony Gonzalez, Ronde Barbar and Mike Vrabel. How many of those guys do you think will still be playing 2 years from now? Probably not many. And it will be because of the simple fact that football is a young man's game. Some of the players from that 1997 draft who are out of football include Peter Bouleware, Warrick Dunn, and Jamie Sharper (not to mention the Steelers 2nd round pick that year, Will Blackwell). Anyone who watched the Steelers last year saw that Farrior had lost a step or two. The only sure cure for that ailment is retirement.

You're getting dangerously close to feltdizz territory with your misunderstanding of the discussion.

ter1230_4
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM

You're getting dangerously close to feltdizz territory with your misunderstanding of the discussion.

Actually, I understand the discussion quite well. My position is that Farrior is getting older and, based on his play last season, has lost a step or two and needs to be off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. You, and some others, think that Farrior's below average performance last season was the result of Polamalu and Aaron Smith being injured, and that with their return this season Farrior will once again perform at a high level and won't need to be taken off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. I think that your position is polyannish. If you think that I have mischaracterized the discussion, please feel free to enlighten me.

cruzer8
07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
[quote="ter1230_4":ggituoan]Let's put Farrior's age into prospective. He was drafted by the Jets in the 1997 NFL Draft. Out of the approximately 230 picks that year, only 14 played in the NFL during the 2009 season. Other than Farrior, the list of players still playing from that year's draft include Orlando Pace, Darren Sharper, Jason Taylor, Tony Gonzalez, Ronde Barbar and Mike Vrabel. How many of those guys do you think will still be playing 2 years from now? Probably not many. And it will be because of the simple fact that football is a young man's game. Some of the players from that 1997 draft who are out of football include Peter Bouleware, Warrick Dunn, and Jamie Sharper (not to mention the Steelers 2nd round pick that year, Will Blackwell). Anyone who watched the Steelers last year saw that Farrior had lost a step or two. The only sure cure for that ailment is retirement.

Actually, I understand the discussion quite well. My position is that Farrior is getting older and, based on his play last season, has lost a step or two and needs to be off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. You, and some others, think that Farrior's below average performance last season was the result of Polamalu and Aaron Smith being injured, and that with their return this season Farrior will once again perform at a high level and won't need to be taken off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. I think that your position is polyannish. If you think that I have mischaracterized the discussion, please feel free to enlighten me.[/quote:ggituoan]

My position is that his decline won't be as noticable with the return of those two key players. Of course as players age they will decline in skill level. But a smart player (like Farrior is) with a great supporting cast can still perform at a high level.

I believe the folks who think Farrior still can't perform at a high level will be in for a big surprise this season. That's my position.

ter1230_4
07-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I believe the folks who think Farrior still can't perform at a high level will be in for a big surprise this season. That's my position.

Make no mistake, I would be delighted if you are right about that. I just think that it is very unlikely.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Steelers LB coach: Farrior hasn't lost a step

August 2nd, 2010

One of the many conclusions the Steelers coaches made following a review of the 2009 season is that James Farrior has not lost a step.

That is why the Steelers plan on keeping the 35-year-old inside linebacker on the field for all downs even though he appeared to have trouble shadowing running backs in pass coverage last season.

“It’s not that he’s losing any speed,” Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. “He still runs as fast as he used to. He just got out of position a couple of times at the wrong time.”

Indeed, Farrior allowed fourth-down receptions that moved the chains in losses to the Bengals and Ravens last season when all the Steelers needed was one stop to preserve a victory.

Butler said the lapses by Farrior were more a product of technique than anything.

“He was not as effective on a couple of things (last season),” Butler said. “I think he would tell you that.”

If Farrior can correct those mistakes and continue to stuff arm Father Time, the Steelers’ situation at inside linebacker shouldn’t cost Butler any sleep this season.

Lawrence Timmons will have a breakout season if he can finally stay healthy. And the return of Larry Foote as well as the presence of Keyaron Fox gives the Steelers gives the Steelers quality depth behind Timmons and Farrior.

“I think I’ve got four starters at inside linebacker,” Butler said.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/02/steelers-lb-coach-farrior-hasnt-lost-a-step/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM

August 2nd, 2010

One of the many conclusions the Steelers coaches made following a review of the 2009 season is that James Farrior has not lost a step.

That is why the Steelers plan on keeping the 35-year-old inside linebacker on the field for all downs even though he appeared to have trouble shadowing running backs in pass coverage last season.

“It’s not that he’s losing any speed,” Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. “He still runs as fast as he used to. He just got out of position a couple of times at the wrong time.”

Indeed, Farrior allowed fourth-down receptions that moved the chains in losses to the Bengals and Ravens last season when all the Steelers needed was one stop to preserve a victory.

Butler said the lapses by Farrior were more a product of technique than anything.

“He was not as effective on a couple of things (last season),” Butler said. “I think he would tell you that.”

If Farrior can correct those mistakes and continue to stuff arm Father Time, the Steelers’ situation at inside linebacker shouldn’t cost Butler any sleep this season.

Lawrence Timmons will have a breakout season if he can finally stay healthy. And the return of Larry Foote as well as the presence of Keyaron Fox gives the Steelers gives the Steelers quality depth behind Timmons and Farrior.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/02/steelers-lb-coach-farrior-hasnt-lost-a-step/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Hmmmmmm...sounds like an opinion I've expressed a time or two.... :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 11:06 PM

August 2nd, 2010

but then the question begs, "Why is a veteran like Farrior getting caught out of position on crucial plays?"

stlrz d
08-02-2010, 11:35 PM

August 2nd, 2010

but then the question begs, "Why is a veteran like Farrior getting caught out of position on crucial plays?"

Maybe trying to cover for someone else who was out of position? Maybe misread something? Maybe just made a mistake?

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2010, 12:04 AM
[quote=hawaiiansteel]Steelers LB coach: Farrior hasn't lost a step

August 2nd, 2010

Maybe trying to cover for someone else who was out of position? Maybe misread something? Maybe just made a mistake?[/quote:2329wgqt]

i coach soccer and i tell my defenders, "if you get caught out of position, do too much and try to do someone else's job and forget about your own, misread plays and continue to make mistakes then i have a new position for you and it's called "Left Out."

stlrz d
08-03-2010, 07:51 AM
[quote=hawaiiansteel]Steelers LB coach: Farrior hasn't lost a step

August 2nd, 2010

Maybe trying to cover for someone else who was out of position? Maybe misread something? Maybe just made a mistake?

i coach soccer and i tell my defenders, "if you get caught out of position, do too much and try to do someone else's job and forget about your own, misread plays and continue to make mistakes then i have a new position for you and it's called "Left Out."[/quote:32v09kg1]

That's fine, but it happens.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Maybe trying to cover for someone else who was out of position? Maybe misread something? Maybe just made a mistake?[/quote]

i coach soccer and i tell my defenders, "if you get caught out of position, do too much and try to do someone else's job and forget about your own, misread plays and continue to make mistakes then i have a new position for you and it's called "Left Out."[/quote]

That's fine, but it happens.[/quote]

that's true, it does happen but if it happens too often or costs you games then you end up on the bench.