PDA

View Full Version : Farrior, others tightening their belts preparing for lockout

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Steelers' Farrior, others tightening their belts

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, July 20, 2010

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nfl.top.free.agent.signings.alltime/images/james-farrior.jpg

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Steelers players are preparing for a lockout in 2011, linebacker James Farrior said Monday.

As such, Farrior and other veterans have met with teammates about saving money in preparation for a season without paychecks if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached.

"I've been talking about it," Farrior said. "Charlie (Batch) is our player rep. He keeps me updated. It's the reality of it. We might not be playing football next year. It was a point of emphasis this offseason for everybody to start saving their money — just in case."

Farrior said players have been led to believe there will be a lockout and that ownership holds the key to a new contract.

Ownership, of course, believes just the opposite — that players must make concessions to facilitate a deal.

"It's pretty much in the owners' hands. It's up to them to try to get a deal done for next year," Farrior said. "We don't know what's going to happen. Everything that we've seen so far is leaning toward us getting locked out, so you don't want guys to not be prepared if it does happen."

In the meantime, Farrior said, players need to become more conservative spenders.

Some players need to be reminded more than others.

"It's going to be tough on some guys," Farrior said. "A lot of guys rely on that money and have a lot of responsibilities with that money. They better start saving now."

Farrior hopes that some of his teammates don't have to learn the hard way in the event of a lockout.

He said stories are plentiful about players who mismanage their money during the best of times.

How, Farrior wonders, will those same players be able to manage their money if they're not being paid?

"I've seen guys spend their money, living check to check," Farrior said. "It's terrible to say, but you've got a guy borrowing money in the offseason just to make it to next season."

On the other hand, Farrior believes the threat of a lockout will force players to take better care of their finances.

"This is our only opportunity to be able to make this kind of money, so you don't want to blow it," Farrior said. "Even though you're making it right now and it seems like you can spend what you want to spend, you have the whole rest of your life to live.

"This is not the time for us to be spending money. We have such a small window to make this kind of money in our lifetime. We're going to have the rest of our lives to live. If you want to live comfortable for the rest of your life, you don't need to spend it all now."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_691138.html

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Charlie Batch on Local Radio- Lockout is coming for 2011

July 14th, 2010
sportsradiointerviews.com

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Charlie Batch was on local radio in Tampa this morning, conducting an interview on WQYK. He discussed several things regarding the Steelers, and as the Steelers Player Representative in the Players Union, addressed the possibility of a lockout in 2011, saying that he’s 100 % certain there will be a lockout. He is after all, the union rep and it’s his job to make the unions position look good and the owners look bad, and as always, the truth is generally somewhere in the middle as I support positions from both sides in this matter. Any way, the possibility of a work stoppage in 2011 is frightening for football fans.

On the chances of a lockout in 2011 Batch responded,

“Well one thing for sure, you can’t say a holdout on the players’ side because we’re not striking over labor negotiations; we’re okay with everything, so labor is not an issue with us as far as where we stand from there. But from the owners’ standpoint, you have to put it at 100 percent. I said it over a year ago heading into training camp. People called me crazy for making those statements but it was the truth. And I think here we are sitting here less than a year from a possible lockout from the owners’ side, the fans have to understand that this isn’t the players doing this. This can be a trickle down effect from the owners meaning no games, no stadium revenues, meaning people who are employed at the stadium – you’re talking about over 100,000 stadium workers that will get laid off because there will be no season played. And then ultimately bar and restaurant owners, vendors, hot dog vendors who may possibly lose out because there are no games on Sunday. I can only imagine. I know what it’s like here in Pittsburgh on Sundays, so now I can only imagine over the course of 31 other NFL cities, there’s going to be a trickle down effect for business owners as losing money. And I think it’s a reality that these people need to start thinking about what they’re going to do if there is no season in the 2011 season. So it’s just really, really frustrating for a lot of people, and I think that everybody wants a deal, but make sure it’s a fair deal for both sides. Just make sure it gets done. But just to make myself clear – this is not a strike by the players; we’re not fighting over labor issues. This is an actual lockout coming from the owners locking out the players that can ultimately have a trickle down effect on everybody.”

http://www.sportsradiointerviews.com

Steelers>NFL
07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Farrior should be saving his money, not because of the potential lockout.
But because this will be his last season in Steeler uniform.
He will be a salary cap casualty before next season. If there is still a cap.
One way or the other, I do believe this is his last hurrah...

williar
07-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Farrior has led the team in tackles pretty much since he's been on this team. He is the leader of our defense and continues to be one of the most productive and durable players we have, even at 35. I'll say he'll be alright for now.

Eich
07-20-2010, 08:17 PM
OH - how will guys like Farrior ever make ends meet? I wish I had his financial concerns.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
OH - how will guys like Farrior ever make ends meet? I wish I had his financial concerns.

congratulations, your first post huh? :Cheers

Eich
07-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Ha! Yeah... my first post here !! I've lurked for quite a while, and post on some other boards. But more and more lately, I'm finding myself preferring this board over all the others so I decided to register.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Ha! Yeah... my first post here !! I've lurked for quite a while, and post on some other boards. But more and more lately, I'm finding myself preferring this board over all the others so I decided to register.

http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/images/smilies/welcome.gif

Eich
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
:tt1 Thanks ! :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Be sure to visit our "Explain your board name" thread at some point...Eich sounds Germanic, but I don't know what it means.

Welcome.

frankthetank1
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Farrior has led the team in tackles pretty much since he's been on this team. He is the leader of our defense and continues to be one of the most productive and durable players we have, even at 35. I'll say he'll be alright for now.

there is no way he will be playing through his entire current contract. farrior has declined a lot in the last two seasons. he may lead the team in tackles every year but who ever plays his position in this defense will lead the team with tackles. when timmons replaces farrior in the future he will be leading the team in tackles. i love potsy but all players get old some time.

Oviedo
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM

The problem is a potential Ty Carter issue where a player intellectually knows LeBeau's complex defense so well that he continues to hold off younger players based on "knowledge of the system" and not the physical ability to play the position.

Keep in mind the scheme is designed for Farrior's position to lead the team in tackles. That is part Farrior but it also a big part other players doing their roles correctly.

I like Farrior and I think he was the best FA acquisition the Steelers ever made but I think he showed some chinks in the armor last season that teams will be looking to exploit this season. Hopefully he went to the repair shop and was able to get those chinks fixed.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Be sure to visit our "Explain your board name" thread at some point...Eich sounds Germanic, but I don't know what it means.

Welcome.

I think it's the sound a German cat makes when hacking up a fur ball. :lol:

Shawn
07-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Lots o drama, struting and posturing by both sides. This will get done...I believe that. If they decide to lock out in 2011 I will seriously consider just watching college football in the future.

SteelAbility
07-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Welcome. Just remember that since your post count is low, you will be automagically considered not to have much Steeler knowledge. :P Other than that, you should be fine. :moon