PDA

View Full Version : Woodley wants a fair share

PSU_dropout43
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
by Michael Silver of Yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... sday072010 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai3hXsETfg9UXJKUQwrx_rw5nYcB?slug=ms-trippintuesday072010)

Crash
07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Can someone please inform Woodley to read LaCanfore's report on NFL.com before he opens his yapper?

Thanks-

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I know the 30% rule complicates things. But this is also a situation that shouldn't follow Steeler's guidlines. With the uncertainty of the new collective bargaining agreement this is risky. If there was one in place for 2011 Woodley's deal would have been done.

The best thing to do is sit down with Woodley & his agent and come to a "verbal agreement" on the future. Restructure his deal ala Johnson and make him happy. They could coin-up for 2010 within the rules and make the guy happy while keeping his loyalty home.

He is on the same level as Harrison and still has upside. If you saw him covering in the Pro Bowl, this guy could surpass Porter's coverage skills and has the ability to have a far more complete package than either Porter or Harrison. Woodley will hit a tier this year that will make him as important to this team as any named Polamalu, Smith, Hampton or Harrison and the fact of the matter is...He is the next generation. All 4 of the above mentioned are core superstars that will be stepping aside for the next in line. Woodley is at the head of the class for "NEXT IN LINE". I fear if they don't do something before this year...He will be lost. At least talk to him and his agent.

ter1230_4
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I know the 30% rule complicates things. But this is also a situation that shouldn't follow Steeler's guidlines. With the uncertainty of the new collective bargaining agreement this is risky. If there was one in place for 2011 Woodley's deal would have been done.

The best thing to do is sit down with Woodley & his agent and come to a "verbal agreement" on the future. Restructure his deal ala Johnson and make him happy. They could coin-up for 2010 within the rules and make the guy happy while keeping his loyalty home.

The 30% rule does more than complicate things, it makes it completely impossible for the Steelers to do the typical deal that they probably would have already done if this had been a normal year. His salary cannot go up more than 30% per year in a new contract, and since he's making $550,000 that means the most his salary could go up to is to $715,000. Any new contract would require that almost all of the money be in upfront bonus. When Silver wrote his article on Woodley a couple of months back, his so-called solution was for the Steelers to sign Wodley to a 2 year extension and pay him a $22-$24 million signing bonus. The problem with that proposal is that 2 years from now the Steelers would find themselves in the exact same situation, ie, Woodley entering the last year of his contract, and to resign him again the Steelers would have to come up with another $25 million or so in upfront money. There is just no way that the Steelers are going to pay anybody other than a franchise QB $50 million of bonus money in a 2 year time frame. Not going to happen. Essentially the only way that the Steelers can "coin-up" is to write Woodley a check and get nothing in return, which appears to be what the Eagles did with Kolb.

Chris Johnson had 3 years left on his first round contract, so there was money due later in the contract that the Titans could move up (and it was apparently about $1 million, not $12 or $24 million). That option is not available in Woodley's case. As for "verbal agreements", that makes me a little nervous. Seems to me that the Steelers lost a 3rd round draft pick some years back for having a verbal agreement with Will Wolford about adjusting his comp if he had to play tackle.

I understand Woodley's disappointment. He's done everything you could possibly ask him to do to deserve a big pay day. Football is a dangerous sport, and for all he knows he could have a major injury this season that makes him much less valuable (I sure hope not!). But it is what it is. What Woodley has to understand is that all of these guys tweeting him and whispering in his ear have their own agenda.

Steelers>NFL
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
The 30% rule is so dumb. The home team, or the team that draft the player should have first right of refusal and be able to sign him to any contract the player deserves.
This is where NBA does have it right.

phillyesq
07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
The 30% rule is so dumb. The home team, or the team that draft the player should have first right of refusal and be able to sign him to any contract the player deserves.

The 30% rule was only put in place to prevent teams from circumventing the cap going into the uncapped year by backloading contracts.

From reading the article, Woodley is clearly ticked, and justifiably so. I'm not saying that all of his frustration should be directed towards the Steelers, because he is mostly being hurt by the system. I'm surprised the Steelers haven't done something to try to placate Woodley. I'd like to see them sit down and talk with Woodley and his agent at some point this offseason before the situation gets out of hand.

cruzer8
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Disagree.

flippy
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Hate to say it, but Woodley should hold out.

SteelBucks
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM

He can do what ever he wants but the Steelers are not going to cave with a player who is under contract. Mike Merriweather tried the same thing long ago thinking the Steelers would talk if he held out. They didn't.....he lost the season. In Woodley's case he would lose two (assuming there's a lockout) only to have the franchise tag slapped on him in 2012.

NJ-STEELER
07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
looks like he's talked to hines

feltdizz
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

It's a business...

who do we dump to keep him?

Does Ben restructure his contract? Troy's contract? Harrison's? Someone has to make a move...

Woodley is too good to let go and very young.

ter1230_4
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Does Ben restructure his contract? Troy's contract? Harrison's? Someone has to make a move...

Wrong. Since it is an uncapped year the Steelers don't have to restructure anyone's contract in order to make money available under the cap (although I am not surprised that you listed Big Ben as the first person to be restructured). But because it is an uncapped year, the 30% limitation applies. What would normally have happened is that the Steelers would have resigned Woodley to say a 6 year deal worth $72 million (akin to what Demarcus Ware got). A large chunk of that would have been in the form of bonuses over the first couple of years, starting wth a signing bonus of $15 million right away and then another $14 million or so for roster bonuses and the like over the next 2 or 3 years. The salaries would have started low in the first year, say $1 milllion the first year, then escalating over the life of the contract to $12 million to $14 million in the final year. The 30% cap prohibits the salary escalation provisions,so that's why the Steelers can't do this deal.

The only thing the Steelers can do is pay him a big bonus. Mike Silver says pay Woodley $22-$24 million today, but the Steelers would only get two years of control and would then have to do something like the 6 year deal I discussed above. Or they could write him a check for $10 million for a one year extension, and be in the same position a year from now. I've been a Steelers fan long enough to know that the Steelers just aren't going to do those things. If they're gonna write Woodley that kind of check they're going to get 5 or 6 years of control. So Woodley is stuck this year through no fault of his own. Once a new CBA is in place, the Steelers will pay Woodley. If they can't reach a deal then they'll franchise Woodley. And if there's no franchise tag in the new CBA (unlikely I think) and Dan Snyder finds another $100 million under his sofa cushions, Woodley will be gone. And it's because of that possibility that the Steelers drafted Worldis and Gibson.

SteelHoss
07-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Wrong. Since it is an uncapped year the Steelers don't have to restructure anyone's contract in order to make money available under the cap (although I am not surprised that you listed Big Ben as the first person to be restructured). But because it is an uncapped year, the 30% limitation applies. What would normally have happened is that the Steelers would have resigned Woodley to say a 6 year deal worth $72 million (akin to what Demarcus Ware got). A large chunk of that would have been in the form of bonuses over the first couple of years, starting wth a signing bonus of $15 million right away and then another $14 million or so for roster bonuses and the like over the next 2 or 3 years. The salaries would have started low in the first year, say $1 milllion the first year, then escalating over the life of the contract to $12 million to $14 million in the final year. The 30% cap prohibits the salary escalation provisions,so that's why the Steelers can't do this deal.

The only thing the Steelers can do is pay him a big bonus. Mike Silver says pay Woodley $22-$24 million today, but the Steelers would only get two years of control and would then have to do something like the 6 year deal I discussed above. Or they could write him a check for $10 million for a one year extension, and be in the same position a year from now. I've been a Steelers fan long enough to know that the Steelers just aren't going to do those things. If they're gonna write Woodley that kind of check they're going to get 5 or 6 years of control. So Woodley is stuck this year through no fault of his own. Once a new CBA is in place, the Steelers will pay Woodley. If they can't reach a deal then they'll franchise Woodley. And if there's no franchise tag in the new CBA (unlikely I think) and Dan Snyder finds another $100 million under his sofa cushions, Woodley will be gone. And it's because of that possibility that the Steelers drafted Worldis and Gibson.

You make a lot of sense. Lets hope when the time comes something can be done.

Mel Blount's G
07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
No surprise there. It's frustrating to many of us fans than an obvious playmaker like L-Wood isn't shown some love prior to his contract expiration but at least the Steeler's FO have been pretty consistent that way.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
No surprise there. It's frustrating to many of us fans than an obvious playmaker like L-Wood isn't shown some love prior to his contract expiration but at least the Steeler's FO have been pretty consistent that way.

Was Hines' reward after a "holdout" the thin edge of the wedge, at least in the eyes of Wood's agent?

"The FO acted in a non-typical Steeler way for one superstar, they'll do it for my guy ..."

Doogie36
07-21-2010, 01:59 AM
I love WOODLEY and what he does on the field...NO QUESTION!!!!!! But to me this is another Santonio Holmes/plaxicio Burress waiting to happen. Woodley wont be smoking or shooting himself but he will be leaving PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!

He laughs at the thought of whats more important a coach or him???? I mean really??? How many players came and went under NOLL and COWHER??? How many great LB's have come and gone under their watches???? Woodley is just another one of many!!!

Tomlin vs Woodley-----Check those DVD's we buy highlighting the steeler super bowl run...........watch carefully and LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!! It's Mike Tomlin who is motivating the crap out of Woodley to perform................OH YOU DONT WANT TO BE GREAT???? or he asks him he wants to show up and join in................remember???? anyone else hearing this??????????? You dont hear Tomlin telling Harrison that do you???? WHY??? Because Harrison plays his butt off EVERYPLAY!!!!!!! Again listen to the DVD of the browns game highlights........The OL from the Browns says man 92 is bringing it EVERYPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do we ever hear that about 56???? It's because of 92 that 56 makes some of those plays......................92 killed the Cards in the superbowl so at the end it was Woodley who iced the game!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!! At the end WOODLEY steps up and its all we remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hate seeing players say stuff like this and then report it.....I know it happens around the league but i dont want to read our players talking to other players from other teams about contracts and money...................I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!

Again I love the guy and numbers are GREAT!!!!!!!!!! But 92 is a big reason why 56 is due that money and I also believe it's Mike Tomlin's motivation that makes this guy perform as well. Tomlin isnt on tape saying those things for NO REASON!!!!!!!

That's my take!!!!!!!!! I like to listen to these guys talk on the sideline..........You can tell the TEAM GUYS from the nonteam guys all day long!!! We have 6 Superbowl trophies, more than any other team in this league and one of the big reasons why is because we get rid of individuals and focus on TEAM PLAYERS of lesser value. We strive on using a system to win football games rather than an individual and even during our last drive to a superbowl victory we as fans want the HEAD of BA!!! LOL.....that's how we ROLL as STEELER FANS!!!!!!! $$$$ hungry players are shown the door in this town and this guy is working his way out of town regardless of his performance this year!!!

If we the fan can understand why he's not being paid then I'm sure he can tooo and yet he decides to call around and talk crap instead!!!!!!!! BYE WOODLEY!!!!!!!! Bring on the new ROOKIES!!!!!!!! 92 will make them GREAT TOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJ-STEELER
07-21-2010, 03:08 AM
do you know the contect in which he was asked that question?

it sure seems like your making some assumptions there. and yes, i would be a little peed off seeing other teams getting around to signing their would be free agentsn and go around the 30 % rule.

i agree that harrison is still the better player, but he's also the much older player. how long does that last

they should let their intentions known quickly cause if gets too far, bridges may be burned.

frankthetank1
07-21-2010, 09:11 AM

its very frustrating the steelers havent shown woodley any love. he is a player that needs to be locked up for a while. there aren't too many players i would want the steelers to re-sign no matter what but woodley is one of them. i would of rather of seen the steelers let harrison walk a year ago then let woodley walk next year. i hope this situation doesn't get out of hand. is it possible the steelers do not value woodley as much as everyone else does? i doubt that, but i guess it is possible. its not like we have another OLB waiting in the wings that is proven.

feltdizz
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Its an uncapped year but the FO said they were treating it like a capped year.

frankthetank1
07-21-2010, 10:03 AM

there is a salary cap this season. next season is very uncertain. it doesnt look like there will be a cap next season but it also looks like there will not be any football next season. it is a tough position for the steelers to be in, but woodley is so young so i dont see much risk in him.

Oviedo
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Will everyone quit panicking that the Steelers have no love for Woodley and he is leaving. They aren't stupid. The issue is three letters C-B-A. There are structural impediments to giving Woodley a contract that the FO can't do anything about no matter how much they want to. Every team is dealing with the same issue. The Jets with Revis. The Colts with Manning. The Pats with Brady.

It would be stupid to give Woodley a huge bonus because if he got injured and couldn't play we would be destroying our cap structure for half a decade. Keep in mind that with the new CBA the owners are looking for a 18% revenue give back from the players. That will mean a lower cap under the new CBA not more money so you can't sign Woodley to a mega-bonus deal.

cruzer8
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Why is everyone ignoring the recent story where the Steelers stated that signing Woodley was a priority and that it would be done in due time?

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM

there is a salary cap this season. next season is very uncertain. it doesnt look like there will be a cap next season but it also looks like there will not be any football next season. it is a tough position for the steelers to be in, but woodley is so young so i dont see much risk in him.

No, there is no cap this season. But Woodley cannot be signed to a long-term extension without giving him a franchise QB level mega-bonus, because Final League Year stipulations prevent his base salary from going up more than 30% from one year to the next (and since his base salary as a second round pick was much less than, say, Patrick Willis, who was an 11th overall pick, we are not able to do for Woodley what the Niners were able to do for Willis).

A deal will get done, when we know what the new parameters are after a new CBA gets worked out.

flippy
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Will everyone quit panicking that the Steelers have no love for Woodley and he is leaving. They aren't stupid. The issue is three letters C-B-A. There are structural impediments to giving Woodley a contract that the FO can't do anything about no matter how much they want to. Every team is dealing with the same issue. The Jets with Revis. The Colts with Manning. The Pats with Brady.

It would be stupid to give Woodley a huge bonus because if he got injured and couldn't play we would be destroying our cap structure for half a decade. Keep in mind that with the new CBA the owners are looking for a 18% revenue give back from the players. That will mean a lower cap under the new CBA not more money so you can't sign Woodley to a mega-bonus deal.

They should do a 2 year deal with a handshake agreement that it is part of the longer term deal they want to do with him once the CBA is done. That way they give him a little more to keep him happy and they avoid having to use the tag on him to potentially free it for someone else. Since Woodley is really against the CBA wall, they can minimize the SB now and let him know they'll make up for it post new CBA.

But he deserves something now in case god forbid, he gets hurt.

I still don't believe the Steelers won't do something here.

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 10:23 AM

They should do a 2 year deal with a handshake agreement that it is part of the longer term deal they want to do with him once the CBA is done. That way they give him a little more to keep him happy and they avoid having to use the tag on him to potentially free it for someone else. Since Woodley is really against the CBA wall, they can minimize the SB now and let him know they'll make up for it post new CBA.

The signing bonus on even a 2 year deal would have to be more than $20 million (because of the aforementioned 30% rule). If the Steelers paid out that kind of guaranteed money, they would want to have him in the fold for more than just 2 seasons.

Iron Shiek
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Oviedo is right. Its not just Woodley not getting anywhere on a new deal, its other's in his draft class that signed similar deals and all of the 1st rounders from this current draft class. The uncertainty of the CBA is making owners hold back.

Anyway, ESPN had an update in the Insider Rumors section that highlighted the OP's Yahoo Story...but then below it had this blurb that shows how valuable (and awesome Woodley truly is):

KC Joyner

Woodley does a lot with fewer chances

"Woodley's 13.5 sacks last year show that he can rush the passer, but they look even more impressive when put into the context of how often he was asked to go after quarterbacks. Woodley rushed the passer on 330 plays last year. Contrast to the rush play totals of DeMarcus Ware (467), Elvis Dumervil (357) and James Harrison (350) and it shows that Woodley did more with less rush opportunities than some of the biggest name pass rushers in the NFL. If he were to go to a team that allowed him to rush the passer more frequently, he could be a candidate for the rare 20-sack total."

NW Steeler
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't particularly like the vibe that his quotes give off in that story. He sounds like he is all about the money. I remember back when he was drafted how he always dreamed of being a Steeler. I understand his frustration, but I hate the way these guys put this stuff out there in the media. He is going to make his money no matter who pays him.

Oviedo
07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't particularly like the vibe that his quotes give off in that story. He sounds like he is all about the money. I remember back when he was drafted how he always dreamed of being a Steeler. I understand his frustration, but I hate the way these guys put this stuff out there in the media. He is going to make his money no matter who pays him.

After watching what just happened to your teammate Willie Colon wouldn't you be concerned about financial security too. I don't have any issue with him wanting a "fair" payday but I do have an issue with him opening up his mouth.

He complains no one has talked to him. Well Lamarr have you called Art Rooney or Kevin Colbert and asked for a private meeting. Not your freakin agent but You!!!!!!!!!!! Bet you haven't.

feltdizz
07-21-2010, 03:03 PM

After watching what just happened to your teammate Willie Colon wouldn't you be concerned about financial security too. I don't have any issue with him wanting a "fair" payday but I do have an issue with him opening up his mouth.

He complains no one has talked to him. Well Lamarr have you called Art Rooney or Kevin Colbert and asked for a private meeting. Not your freakin agent but You!!!!!!!!!!! Bet you haven't.

"I haven't heard anything..."
"I was promised... "
"This is where I want to be"
"I have a good feeling this will get done"

This is all part of negotiating... it's not anything new. What good does Woodley do by asking for a meeting? Who needs who? It's a chess game.

ter1230_4
07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
This is all part of negotiating... it's not anything new. What good does Woodley do by asking for a meeting? Who needs who? It's a chess game.

For once I agree with you. But having said that, it also doesn't do Woodley any good to run around saying woe is me when he knows exactly what the score is. He can complain all he wants, but the Steelers are not going to write him a big check without getting a number of years of control. But then, his frustration level has to be pretty high, because instead of cashing a check for $15 million more or less this summer, he's going to play the entire season for $550,000. That's a huge difference.

flippy
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM

The signing bonus on even a 2 year deal would have to be more than $20 million (because of the aforementioned 30% rule). If the Steelers paid out that kind of guaranteed money, they would want to have him in the fold for more than just 2 seasons.

I'm thinking give him a max signing bonus of $11M ($13M 2 year contract) which would put him at about the franchise tag level for next season with 30% increases in salary this year and next.

Then redo it next year after the CBA using this years numbers they would have given him and just subtract out the $11M from the SB we would have given him and adjust the salaries accordingly.

Heck, I'm sure Woodley would appreciate a $5M signing bonus which gives him some guaranteed money that he deserves. And then we redo it next year and make it fair.

Split the difference somehow to hold him over and keep him happy.

The contract doesn't have to be perfect to give Woodley value.

ter1230_4
07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking give him a max signing bonus of $11M ($13M 2 year contract) which would put him at about the franchise tag level for next season with 30% increases in salary this year and next.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if you mean that the Steelers should give Woodley a new contract that would cover 2010 and 2011 for an $11 million signing bonus, that would mean that this time next year the Steelers would be in the exact same situation as they are today, which is Woodley would be entering the last year of his contract.

Then redo it next year after the CBA using this years numbers they would have given him and just subtract out the $11M from the SB we would have given him and adjust the salaries accordingly

So one year from now Woodley would be willing to sign a 5 year deal with a much smaller bonus than players would ordinarily get for a 5 year deal? Call me cynical if you like, but I don't think there is much chance that is how Woodley would be looking at it a year from now. He would want to get paid (again). And if he was willing to take a clearly below market bonus, to the NFL it would probably look like the Steelers and Woodley had colluded.

Heck, I'm sure Woodley would appreciate a $5M signing bonus which gives him some guaranteed money that he deserves. And then we redo it next year and make it fair.

I'm certain that Woodley would appreciate anything that the Steelers would pay him out of the goodness of their hearts. But it's a business, and if Woodley didn't realize that before he certainly does now.

flippy
07-21-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if you mean that the Steelers should give Woodley a new contract that would cover 2010 and 2011 for an $11 million signing bonus, that would mean that this time next year the Steelers would be in the exact same situation as they are today, which is Woodley would be entering the last year of his contract.

Then redo it next year after the CBA using this years numbers they would have given him and just subtract out the $11M from the SB we would have given him and adjust the salaries accordingly

So one year from now Woodley would be willing to sign a 5 year deal with a much smaller bonus than players would ordinarily get for a 5 year deal? Call me cynical if you like, but I don't think there is much chance that is how Woodley would be looking at it a year from now. He would want to get paid (again). And if he was willing to take a clearly below market bonus, to the NFL it would probably look like the Steelers and Woodley had colluded.

I'm certain that Woodley would appreciate anything that the Steelers would pay him out of the goodness of their hearts. But it's a business, and if Woodley didn't realize that before he certainly does now.

Yes, I'm saying do a 2 year deal for a max of ~$12M that we re-do next year. Saves us a franchise tag for next year (possibly for Colon) and gives us an extra year to redo Woodley.

I think he'd take significantly less to get some money with the idea of getting a bigger payday next year.

And next year we ask Woodley to conceed a little in good faith because we paid him in good faith this year. I don't see it as collusion if both sides look at the total of this years deal + next years deal as 1 big contract. It can always go back to managing cash flow in the context of the position from the Steelers perspective and Woodley gets an advance on the big contract that just wasn't feasible prior to the CBA.

I think something reasonable can get done here. And if the Steelers don't do something, it would be in Woodley's best interest to just sit out for a season if he had to. The risk of injury is just too great.

The CBA is what it is. And the current contract is what it is. But I think there's mutual benefit to both sides meeting somewhere in the middle on this.

ter1230_4
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I think something reasonable can get done here. And if the Steelers don't do something, it would be in Woodley's best interest to just sit out for a season if he had to. The risk of injury is just too great.

That is precisely the problem, there is no reasonable middle ground under this particular set of circumstances. The only way for the Steelers to pay something to tide Woodley over so to speak until the new CBA is in place is to pay him a whole lot more in upfront cash over a relatively short period of time than they would if they had been able to do a normal long term extension. He's not going to be happy with getting anything less than $10 million a year for the next year or two if any deal is done, and then it will be time for a new deal. I would even argue that making that kind of charitable contribution to Woodley could make it tougher to sign him when the new CBA goes into place, because after a big payday he could afford to play one year on a small salary to get to free agancy if the Steelers didn't pony up what he thought he would be worth on the open market.

I don't want to see Woodley leave, but in my estimation the only way that he will leave is if (1) there is no franchise tag under the new CBA, and (2) he convinces himself that the Steelers have mistreated him (ignoring all facts to the contrary) and decides that he doesn't want to be a Steeler any more. In the event that both those events occur I won't feel particularly bad about losing him.

It may be in Woodley's best interest to sit out this season from an injury point of view, but that's probably impractical from a cash flow aspect. He's been playing 3 years now on relatively meager salaries and his rookie bonus, which wasn't that much, is probably long gone. So he needs the $550,000 he will earn this season to pay the bills. Add to that the possibility that even if he plays in 2010 he probably won't be able to set much aside to deal with the possibility of a lockout in 2011, as the Player's Union is strongly urging. And finally, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to sit out this year I don't think that he would get credit for this year for free agency purposes, so he wouldn't be a free agent for 2011. Any way you look at it, Woodley's in a tough position which is why he is so frustrated.

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
And finally, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to sit out this year I don't think that he would get credit for this year for free agency purposes, so he wouldn't be a free agent for 2011.

Correct. If he chose to sit out, he'd have to come back after 10 games in order to receive credit for an accrued season toward free agency. That is what Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are threatening to do in San Diego (they are restricted free agents this year who did not signed their tenders, then A.J. Smith pulled those tenders back and made them worth significantly less). Woodley won't do this.

Slapstick
07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Doesn't the expired CBA still apply? It was the last set of rules agreed to by both parties, no?

If that is the case, then Woodley will have to accrue 6 seasons before becoming an unrestricted free agent, won't he? Can't the Steelers just give him a first round tender offer?

Or, is everything null and void after this year?

NJ-STEELER
07-22-2010, 02:12 AM
its gotta suck when see someone they are comparing you to during the draft, the top LB prospect . a guy who replaced you in college

gets drafted and will make more money then you without playing a down

i can see the frustration

frankthetank1
07-22-2010, 08:27 AM
its gotta suck when see someone they are comparing you to during the draft, the top LB prospect . a guy who replaced you in college

gets drafted and will make more money then you without playing a down

i can see the frustration

i never even thought of that but its a great point. its pretty sad for woodley because he was better than graham in college. graham was good at michigan but woodley was dominant

NJ-STEELER
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
and the reason graham is a first round pick and gonna get signed to first round money is because of woodley showing the league he can play at that height /weight.

graham is waht 6'1 260lbs???

not too many guys that size get drafted at OLB/DE in the first round ove the last few years