PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey Takes Payment in College??

ikestops85
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Evidently they are investigating whether Maurkice took $100,000 payment before the Sugar Bowl game.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159)

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Since he has been accused, Goodell should suspend him for six games

hawaiiansteel
07-19-2010, 02:28 PM

this would only be the first violation which means Goodell places Pouncey on double super-secret probation.

http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/gotoit/animal_house.jpg

Snatch98
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Zero effect on us correct? The only repercussions would be with the Florida Gators and only the Florida Gators no?

Iron Shiek
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Probably, but still, just the fact that more negative press follows Pouncey onto our NFL team, still sucks. Maybe not a physical punishment, but mentally, it could affect him...who knows?

WTF else can happen to one of our players.

Gus
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Probably, but still, just the fact that more negative press follows Pouncey onto our NFL team, still sucks. Maybe not a physical punishment, but mentally, it could affect him...who knows?

Does Goodell issue canings?

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Does Goodell issue canings?

Depends how he feels on any given day and what his bio rhythms happen to be. :stirpot

ikestops85
07-19-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm with ya Shiek. I normally can't wait for the season to start but this year it is twice as bad. I'm afraid to see the sports headlines every day for fear another negative Steeler teaser will float across the screen.

I found out about this from a co-worker who walks over to my desk and says "So I see the Steelers are drafting more class players into the organization". Of course his tone is sarcastic as he proceeds to tell me about Pouncey. I'm like

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/deargod_stop.jpg

Eddie Spaghetti
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
shocking.

Urban Cryer runs such a clean program.

MeetJoeGreene
07-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Beat me to the punch!

My sentiments exactly

phillyesq
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I'm with ya Shiek. I normally can't wait for the season to start but this year it is twice as bad. I'm afraid to see the sports headlines every day for fear another negative Steeler teaser will float across the screen.

I found out about this from a co-worker who walks over to my desk and says "So I see the Steelers are drafting more class players into the organization". Of course his tone is sarcastic as he proceeds to tell me about Pouncey. I'm like

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/deargod_stop.jpg

I'm not thrilled about more bad press for the Steelers, but this shouldn't effect his availability to play for the Steelers, so I'm not overly concerned.

With any luck, the Phillies will turn things around, make it to the World Series, and hit another fan with a tazer. Or perhaps pelt somebody else with batteries. I'm quite sure that the Phillies, if given a nat'l stage, could easily do something to take negative headlines away from the Steelers for a few weeks.

birtikidis
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
God-del can't do anything. it's an NCAA rules violation not a criminal or NFL related event. just looks bad. but seriously, find me one program that hasn't done this in the past. And if this is a booster issue (which i think it is), you really can't pin it on Meyer, he actually DOES run a clean program. Kinda stupid on Pouncey's part though. he was just months away from a huge payday.

flippy
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe Goodell can suspend him.

Or Rooney can dump him for a 5th round pick.

TO's looking more like a class act every day that goes by.

Crash
07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I was told why Pouncey supposedly did what he did.

If it were me? I would have done the same thing.

Bravo Maurkice.

cruzer8
07-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Bravo Maurkice.

Don't keep us in the dark man!

Crash
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Bravo Maurkice.

Not burning a SOURCE. But needless to say he did what ANYONE with a brain in their head would do.

It's much to do about nothing. If this got out the NCAA would look like buffoons for nailing Florida for it.

SteelBucks
07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Zero effect on us correct? The only repercussions would be with the Florida Gators and only the Florida Gators no?

Correct. Gators might have to forfeit the Sugar Bowl victory if he accepted the $100k but it won't have any effect on the Steelers.

SteelHead
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Bravo Maurkice.

Not burning a SOURCE. But needless to say he did what ANYONE with a brain in their head would do.

It's much to do about nothing. If this got out the NCAA would look like buffoons for nailing Florida for it.

Why did you even post then ?

:wft

Crash
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Bravo Maurkice.

Because people on various boards are bashing Pouncey and questioning his character. All this would do is ENHANCE it.

hawaiiansteel
07-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Bravo Maurkice.

Because people on various boards are bashing Pouncey and questioning his character. All this would do is ENHANCE it.

Maurkice may have had a good personal reason to take the money, but this is still going to hurt the Gators' program.

feltdizz
07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Maybe Goodell can suspend him.

Or Rooney can dump him for a 5th round pick.

TO's looking more like a class act every day that goes by.

:Agree

Oviedo
07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
It will be a minor infraction for the Florida program because there was likely no loss of institutional control. This was an individual act.

Florida has elite athletes beating down the doors to get in. They have the facilities, they have the coach and they have the weather. This is a minor blip for the gators.

phillyesq
07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Per PFT, Pouncey is going to deny "any wrongdoing." If he is making a denial, he better be 100% clear of any wrongdoing. Otherwise, he is better off just keeping his mouth shut.

Report: Pounceys will deny wrongdoing on Tuesday
Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2010 10:09 PM ET
pouncey011110.jpgOn Monday, Pat Forde of ESPN.com reported that the NCAA and Florida are investigating whether former Gators center (and Steelers rookie) Maurkice Pouncey received $100,000 between the 2009 SEC title game and the team's January 2010 bowl game.

Now, Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports, via Twitter, that the Pouncey family "plans to deny any wrongdoing" on Tuesday.

Schad also explains that the letter sent to Florida tipping the program off to the potential problem was postmarked in Canada, and that it "contained photographic evidence of an alleged runner for an agent in social situations," presumably with the Pounceys.

Still, Schad reports that the Pounceys have provided "phone, bank and credit card statements that do not show large payments."

But Maurkice Pouncey bought an Escalade and jewelry after the draft. He claims that he paid for it with a deferred line of credit, and that at times he loaned it to his brother, Mike, who still plays for the Gators.

A separate source with knowledge of the Pouncey family tells us that, in the source's opinion, it's 99.99 percent likely that the Pounceys did not accept cash or other benefits from an agent before Maurkice's eligibility expired.

Though there's no NCAA ban on paying players after their college eligibility expires, the NFLPA prevents payments to induce players to sign with football agents. So it's possible that Maurkice Pouncey actually was paid -- if he was paid at all -- after the bowl game. This would create no problems for Pouncey or the Gators, but it would create a problem for the agent.

Complicating matters is the ongoing presence of Mike Pouncey at Florida. If an agent gave cash or any other thing of value to the Pounceys after Maurkice left Florida, the gesture could create problems for Mike.

aggiebones
07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I like how they were protecting the name of the person that gave him the money?
Huh?
Let's burn that guy down first, not the kid handed money.

The world is backwards sometimes.

Anyone caught giving money to college kids, should be banned from working with an NCAA program for 5 years.
Things will dry up very quickly at that point.

Ghost
07-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I'll wait to hear what the story is before I make any assumptions about Pouncey. Prior to the draft the word was all good about him and his family. And I believe Crash. Disagree with him or about certain opinions but he doesn't just make things up.

And it actually could be a legal issue for the agent. 38 states have laws regarding sports agent activities including possible civil and criminal prosecution with possible jail time.

Still glad we drafted this guy!!

Oviedo
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I like how they were protecting the name of the person that gave him the money?
Huh?
Let's burn that guy down first, not the kid handed money.

The world is backwards sometimes.

Anyone caught giving money to college kids, should be banned from working with an NCAA program for 5 years.
Things will dry up very quickly at that point.

Not sure, but I actually think Florida may have a law against improper contact with a college athlete. Whoever did this could be facing judicial issues if heis name comes out.

I could be wrong but will try to find out.

Ghost
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
FL has some of the toughest laws on the books regarding sports agents and their interactions with players. Goes back 10 or 11 years to an agent named Tank Black who was paying several Florida Gator players. He did 7 years in jail on money laundering and other charges.

feltdizz
07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398414

Pouncey denies accepting money

Former Florida standout offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey is denying allegations that he accepted $100,000 from a player agent before last season's Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati.

On Wednesday, Pouncey, through attorney Stephen Stanfield, issued a two-sentence statement denying the allegation.

"I did not accept $100,000, it is an absolutely ridiculous claim. I have completely cooperated with the investigation and answered any and all questions put to me," he said.

On Monday, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley told ESPN.com the university was made aware of the situation in June, reported it to law enforcement and shared what it knew with the NCAA and the SEC. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida," he said.

The NCAA on Monday acknowledged it was working with the university but declined further comment.

Pouncey left Florida after his junior year and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Two sources briefed on the anonymous letter sent to Florida told ESPN's Joe Schad that it was postmarked in Canada. Two sources also told Schad that the letter was accompanied by photographic evidence of an alleged runner for an agent in social situations with Pouncey and his brother Mike, including at two awards shows.

Mike Pouncey will be a senior offensive lineman with the Gators next season.

The sources told Schad that the Pounceys have provided phone, bank and credit card statements that do not show any large payments. Two sources added that Maurkice Pouncey said he paid for a Cadillac Escalade and jewelry after the NFL draft with a deferred line of credit and did at times lend the Escalade to Mike in Gainesville, Fla.

The Pouncey investigation is the latest in a series of agent-related inquiries making ripples in college football.

Sources told ESPN last week that NCAA investigators have interviewed North Carolina players, including defensive end Marvin Austin, about attending a party hosted by a player agent in Miami Beach earlier this summer. South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders also confirmed to ESPN on Sunday that he recently spoke with NCAA investigators about the same party. And Alabama is now looking at whether highly-rated defensive lineman Marcel Dareus attended the party as well.

North Carolina announced last week that an NCAA investigation is under way at the school, and subsequent media reports have tied it to alleged agent interaction with multiple players.

South Carolina athletic director Eric Hyman says the NCAA is investigating a possible rules violation of one of its athletic programs.

ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad and ESPN.com senior writer Pat Forde contributed to this report.

flippy
07-21-2010, 07:05 PM
There's a bigger issue here really.

College players should get paid. They generate enormous amounts of money for their universities and football programs. And their time commitment doesn't even allow them to realistically get a part time job while in school.

I've heard loads of stories about broke college football players.

Sure they're technically college kids. But in reality, they are minor league football players. And they should get paid as such.

This could really help out these kids and their struggling families.

Just give them stipends in line with the value they are providing the university. They provide more value to the school than someone that works in the library or book store. It's life. So what if they get paid?

Shoe
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
shocking.

Urban Cryer runs such a clean program.

Haha....

This is a NON-issue as far as I'm concerned. It says nothing of the player (notice I'm already assuming it's true, cuz I generally believe any allegations in cases like this), his character, anything like that.

The NCAA is a bull$hit scam organization!

At this level, they are pros--let's get that straight. So to continue in this sham of amateur athletics is a total joke! I hold nothing against Pouncey, Bush, Dez Bryant anyone of these guys... remember, most come from impoverished backgrounds. WTF do they expect them to do?