PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell to visit Steelers camp

hawaiiansteel
07-19-2010, 02:38 AM
the Steelers invited Goodell to camp as long as he would teach Ben a lesson and suspend him for at least 4 games... :stirpot

Roger Goodell to visit Steelers camp

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/Goodell.jpg

The NFL has announced that commissioner Roger Goodell will visit the training camps of seven teams in the coming weeks, including that of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Goodell is scheduled to be at the Steelers training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe Thurs., Aug 5.

Any guesses on what the main topic of conversation will be if - and I'm assuming he will - Goodell fields questions from the media?

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Crash
07-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Goodell truly is a piece of garbage. He has to know that when he goes to Latrobe that it will be a zoo. He has no business going there. His ego is out of control. The only good that would come out of it would be if he admitted he overreacted and will reduce Ben's suspension to the same two games that convicted felon Mike Vick got.

I hope Ben ignores him and just goes about his work that day.

stlrz d
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Goodell truly is a piece of garbage. He has to know that when he goes to Latrobe that it will be a zoo. He has no business going there. His ego is out of control. The only good that would come out of it would be if he admitted he overreacted and will reduce Ben's suspension to the same two games that convicted felon Mike Vick got.

Unfortunately he can't. He's in a position where he's forced to be nice and play along. I'm sure we'll see a pic or two of Ben and Rog shaking hands.

What I hope is that the fans lay into him while he's there.

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Still waiting for "The Judge's" action on Vince Young and Cedric Benson. Two cases of clear Assault and Battery and nothing. Just getting accused gets Ben suspended.

Let's see now what is the difference here? :stirpot Oh yea, the media isn't caling for a scrifice on the media alter for Benson and Young like it did for Ben. Can't figure why not???

feltdizz
07-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Still waiting for "The Judge's" action on Vince Young and Cedric Benson. Two cases of clear Assault and Battery and nothing. Just getting accused gets Ben suspended.

Let's see now what is the difference here? :stirpot Oh yea, the media isn't caling for a scrifice on the media alter for Benson and Young like it did for Ben. Can't figure why not???

The lack of media attention is exactly why they haven't been taken to the woodshed.

When you are an elite 2 SB winning QB you are held to a higher standard.

For years fans wanted Ben to be considered elite and top tier... now that he gets in trouble they want him to be treated like a nobody.

Even if Young and Benson got 2 to 4 games... it wouldn't change Ben's situation.

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 08:25 AM

The lack of media attention is exactly why they haven't been taken to the woodshed.

For years fans wanted Ben to be considered elite and top tier... now that he gets in trouble they want him to be treated like a nobody.

Even if Young and Benson got 2 to 4 games... it wouldn't change Ben's situation.

It would show that there is an actual standard and not an arbitrary whim depending on which way the winds of media interest happen to be blowing.

That is the trouble with Goodell. Hhe makes things up as he goes.

ghettoscott
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM

It would show that there is an actual standard and not an arbitrary whim depending on which way the winds of media interest happen to be blowing.

$$$$$

siss
07-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Unfortunately he can't. He's in a position where he's forced to be nice and play along. I'm sure we'll see a pic or two of Ben and Rog shaking hands.

Ummmm love him or hate him he does hold out franchise QB's career in his hand and if Ben was smart he would show him respect.

cruzer8
07-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Ummmm love him or hate him he does hold out franchise QB's career in his hand and if Ben was smart he would show him respect.

I don't think anyone's disputing that Goodell has Ben's fate in his hands.

To me this is like being nice to your mother-in-law. You don't want to be nice to her because she's not nice to you, but she can take you out of the will if you aren't nice to her. You do it because you have to, not because you want to.

Nice point Ovi. There is no consistency to Goodell's policy whatsoever.

siss
07-19-2010, 10:43 AM

I don't think anyone's disputing that Goodell has Ben's fate in his hands.

To me this is like being nice to your mother-in-law. You don't want to be nice to her because she's not nice to you, but she can take you out of the will if you aren't nice to her. You do it because you have to, not because you want to.

Nice point Ovi. There is no consistency to Goodell's policy whatsoever.

*tries not to go into a rant about what a witch my mother in law is*

Good point!

Do not mention my mother in law or I will go into a rant that will last from now until the end of Bens suspension!

Djfan
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Goodell can kiss my boot.

What Rooney loves about this turd is beyond me. I have more respect for Pelosi than him.

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Goodell can kiss my boot.

What Rooney loves about this turd is beyond me. I have more respect for Pelosi than him.

At least Pelosi is consistently stupid and will always make a bad decision for the country. You at least know what you got.

Goodell is a total wildcard who has been consistent on any issue since the day he took over.

Crash
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM

So lesser players are allowed to commit actualk crimes with no punishment?

feltdizz
07-19-2010, 12:58 PM

I think an elite player who cast a huge shadow in the media will get a larger punishment than the average player who doesn't receive any real media attention.

I'm not saying it's fair... just sayin' I think it's the way Goodell handled this with Ben.

Crash
07-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Goodell caved in to black media and players who wanted Ben's head on a stick mere DAYS after this incident came out.

"Treat Ben like Pac Man" "Treat Ben like Vick"

That was the battle cry.

Unfortunately for Ben, he was treated even WORSE.

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM

I think an elite player who cast a huge shadow in the media will get a larger punishment than the average player who doesn't receive any real media attention.

I'm not saying it's fair... just sayin' I think it's the way Goodell handled this with Ben.

Once again it is called a STANDARD. Even in the military for non-judicial punishment there were a standard of guidelines for what I could dispense for what. I didn't get to make it up as I went.

That is the problem with Goodell. He was so anxious to prove that he wasn't unfairly treating black players because of the criticism and scrutiny he was getting, he went overboard with ben to pacify those in the media who openly were commenting on "watching" how he was going to deal with a high visibility white QB. Unfortunately, the Rooney's were willing co-conspirators because of their obsession for doing things for "the good of the league."

Can't see how this long term is good for the league except if you consider politically correct good for the league. You still have ambiguous, arbitrary decisions on punishment made or ignored.

As stated. Benson and Young are receive citations for assaulyt and it is captured on video and nothing. Ben is accused with no real evidence and six games.

feltdizz
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Goodell caved in to black media and players who wanted Ben's head on a stick mere DAYS after this incident came out.

"Treat Ben like Pac Man" "Treat Ben like Vick"

That was the battle cry.

Unfortunately for Ben, he was treated even WORSE.

it was all of the media... black, white, asian, latino.

You can keep blaming the black media if it makes you feel better.

Sugar
07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Ben will have to eat dirt until his career is over. Then he can write that tell-all book. :wink:

feltdizz
07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Once again it is called a STANDARD. Even in the military for non-judicial punishment there were a standard of guidelines for what I could dispense for what. I didn't get to make it up as I went.

That is the problem with Goodell. He was so anxious to prove that he wasn't unfairly treating black players because of the criticism and scrutiny he was getting, he went overboard with ben to pacify those in the media who openly were commenting on "watching" how he was going to deal with a high visibility white QB. Unfortunately, the Rooney's were willing co-conspirators because of their obsession for doing things for "the good of the league."

Can't see how this long term is good for the league except if you consider politically correct good for the league. You still have ambiguous, arbitrary decisions on punishment made or ignored.

As stated. Benson and Young are receive citations for assaulyt and it is captured on video and nothing. Ben is accused with no real evidence and six games.
It's the NFL not the Army.

The players don't come into the league as equals. You won't see a non drafted guy getting the same money, attention or media exposure as the first rounder.

Goodell can and will punish as he sees fit and the team, player and union can fight it if they feel it is unfair.

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 02:04 PM

It's the NFL not the Army.

The players don't come into the league as equals. You won't see a non drafted guy getting the same money, attention or media exposure as the first rounder.

Goodell can and will punish as he sees fit and the team, player and union can fight it if they feel it is unfair.

Given your definition they don't come into the military as equals either: officers vs warrant officers vs non commisioned officers vs enlisted.

Any effective orgainization has establihed organizational norms that are unambiguous and well known. That allows the organization to operate effectively.

Crash
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM

"Kobe (in 2003) is innocent until proven guilty" -Jerome Bettis

"Ben should be suspended" - Jerome Bettis

Ben's the white guy, right? Where was Bussie's innocent until proven guilty statement for him?

Sugar
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Ben's the white guy, right? Where was Bussie's innocent until proven guilty statement for him?

Bettis is the last guy who wants to talk. He's had enough of his stuff covered up through the years.

Crash
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Bettis is the last guy who wants to talk. He's had enough of his stuff covered up through the years.

Yep. Fight at Bobby Dale's in 2001, accused of sexual assault in 2002.

He held out of Rams camp with not one, not two, but THREE YEARS left on his contract.

flippy
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Goodell gets hated, but Rooney was likely the one that wanted the big suspension.

birtikidis
07-19-2010, 05:25 PM

I wish i was black.

Crash
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Goodell gets hated, but Rooney was likely the one that wanted the big suspension.

TEAMS can only suspend players 4 games max. They wanted to suspend Ben themselves. So you at least know they don't agree with 6 games max set by Goodell.

flippy
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM

TEAMS can only suspend players 4 games max. They wanted to suspend Ben themselves. So you at least know they don't agree with 6 games max set by Goodell.

I think it's quite the coincidence it'll end up being 4 games.

I suspect the Rooney's let Goodell do their dirty work so they could save face in Pittsburgh. And it makes Goodell looks more look a tough leader.

I have no idea what happened, but I think the Rooney's are just as much involved as Goodell. And I bet Goodell wouldn't have been so harsh if the Rooney's weren't on board with the suspension.

I'm sure Goodell's smart enough to know he'd get flack for not being consistent. But he got more out of it than his credibility loses.

cruzer8
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
If the Rooneys wanted to save face they would have cut Ben when 70% + fans were in favor of it, and when fans were actually mailing their #7 jerseys to Steelers HQ.

This was all Goodell.

NJ-STEELER
07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
wasn't KY, er i mean VY a hiesman trophy winner and led his team to a national chamionship in an epic title game?

cant get more high profile then that

Oviedo
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
The Dolphins Phillip Merling was just charged with felony battery

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5393510

Think "Judge Goodell" will do anything? Nope! Violence and assault are OK, but the accusation of sexual contact gets you 6 games.

Goodell looks more stupid everyday with regards to the severity of Ben's punishment. We now have Benson, Young and Merling in the cue for judgement. Let's see what happens. My bet is nothing. Just a warning at most.

Think the NFL Network or ESPN will be running character assassination specials on Young, Benson or Merling? That would be politically incorrect wouldn't it?

feltdizz
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM

I wish i was black.

9/11, Obama and immigration arguments have done wonders for the black man.

Ghost
07-20-2010, 10:32 AM
If the Rooneys wanted to save face they would have cut Ben when 70% + fans were in favor of it, and when fans were actually mailing their #7 jerseys to Steelers HQ.

This was all Goodell.

I don't know about that cruzer. Ben comes back and plays great and all will be forgiven. He takes the Steelers to the playoffs and you'll see Ben jerseys all over the place again. The Rooney's are in the football business and Ben is good for winning and they know it.

I tend to agree with Flippy - the Rooney's gave their blessing to RG on the suspension. He bears the brunt of the anger, the Rooney's look like upstanding NFL citizens, and they get to keep their franchis QB. It's a huge win for them on the business and PR front.

feltdizz
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
wasn't KY, er i mean VY a hiesman trophy winner and led his team to a national chamionship in an epic title game?

cant get more high profile then that

That was almost 5 years ago.

grotonsteel
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Goodell is on his ego trip..screw that a-hole Commish

I am really hoping Steeler Nation tell Goodell what they feel about his stupid 6 game suspension of Big Ben.

People who are charged with crime don't even get slap on wrist. I can't believe he still has a job. What has goodell done for the league apart from bending down to Mr. Kraft.

papillon
07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure what positive take away there could be from him showing up in Latrobe. He has to know that Steeler fans are loathe him with all their collective might. He should just stay the hell away and talk with Ben, Tomlin and Art once the season gets underway. There really isn't any good purpose for him to show up except to turn the Steeler training camp into a sideshow.

If I were Ben I'd say hello, shake his hand and walk away; Ben isn't obligated to anything more than that.

Pappy

Steel Life
07-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Police Blotter

7/19/10: Falcons DT Jonathan Babineaux pleads no contest to marijuana possession.

7/18/10: Jaguars Senior Sales Manager, Season and Premium Seating, Thomas Patterson is arrested for disorderly intoxication/public disturbance and resisting an officer without violence.

7/13/10: Browns DT Shaun Rogers enters a diversion program following an arrest for attempting to board a plane with a gun.

7/3/10: Seahawks RB Quinton Ganther is arrested for DUI.

6/29/2010: Bengals RB Cedric Benson is arrested for assault with injury.

6/26/2010: Lions president Tom Lewand is arrested for DUI.

6/13/2010: Titans QB Vince Young is cited for misdemeanor assault.

6/12/2010: 49ers DT Ray McDonald is arrested for suspicion of DUI.

5/26/2010: Dolphins DE Phillip Merling is arrested for aggravated battery.

5/24/2010: Chargers S Kevin Ellison is arrested for possession of 100 Vicodin pills.

5/23/2010: Saints rookie Harry Coleman is arrested for simple battery.

5/4/2010: Bengals WR Maurice Purify is arrested for disorderly conduct.

4/27/2010: Free-agent S Clinton Hart is arrested for domestic battery.

4/17/2010: Browns RB Chris Jennings is arrested for suspicion of assault.

4/10/2010: Seahawks LB Leroy Hill is arrested for domestic violence.

4/1/2010: Browns DT Shaun Rogers is arrested for possession of a weapon.

4/1/2010: Seahawks LB Leroy Hill pleads guilty to marijuana possession.

3/27/10: Cardinals LB Joey Porter is arrested for DUI, resisting arrest, and assaulting a peace officer.

3/26/10: Bears OL Lance Louis pleads guilty to misdemeanor battery.

...don't see Ben's name up there...see Leroy Hill's name TWICE...Merling beat up his PREGNANT girlfriend.

So what does this say?...apparently that possession, DUI, battery, domestic abuse & taking a loaded gun on a plane are all lesser offenses than what happened with Ben...who wasn't charged with anything - and you would think that after Leonard Little's & Donte Stallworth's DUI issues that the league would be coming down HARD on these guys. So with Ben's suspension, Santonio's suspension & the Hines Ward rule, & now a visit to Latrobe which will bring all this crap up all over again - I just have one question for the Commish....sir, why do you hate the Steelers?

Crash
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Because the Goodell family and the Rooney family's political opinions differ.

Steelers fans in Latrobe should let Goodell have it. Throw eggs at him, hell throw ANYTHING at him, shoes, footballs, water bottles, etc. This POS needs to be called to the carpet for his BS inconsistency.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Steelers fans in Latrobe should let Goodell have it. Throw eggs at him, hell throw ANYTHING at him, shoes, footballs, water bottles, etc. This POS needs to be called to the carpet for his BS inconsistency.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0812/who-throws-a-shoe-demotivational-poster-1229460904.jpg

:wink:

ikestops85
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM

Every time he tries to speak we need to drown him out with chants of

HYP-O-CRITE

grotonsteel
07-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Every time he tries to speak we need to drown him out with chants of

HYP-O-CRITE

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
If we refuse to feed Goodell in his visit to Latrobe, will he be a Hungry, Hungry Hypocrite?

:P