PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Rookie Caps

NorthCoast
07-17-2010, 09:33 AM
After reading this, can there be any serious argument against a rookie salary cap? The sad thing....owners are doing it to themselves.

Report: Bradford asking for record contract from Rams

When Sam Bradford decided to return to Oklahoma for his junior year in January of 2009, the overwhelming response was positive. Fans lauded him for passing up millions to continue his education, while analysts believed that even though Bradford could have been selected first overall in the 2009 NFL Draft, he could also use some polishing. All of that praise went out the door the second that Bradford hit the turf at Cowboys Stadium against BYU. Bradford’s decision went from a noble choice of youth and academics over to a voluntary giveaway of millions of dollars.

Look who’s laughing now, all the way to the bank. Despite damage to a joint in his throwing shoulder, the St. Louis Rams still selected Bradford with the first overall pick in the 2010 Draft. Now, they will likely make him the highest-paid rookie ever, besting Matthew Stafford’s record contract worth $41.7 million guaranteed.

According to the National Football Post, Bradford may receive somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 to $50 million over the length of his contract before he even takes a snap in the NFL. The Rams want to get this deal done quickly in order to avoid Bradford missing any of their fall camp, which begins Wednesday, July 28 for rookies.

Bradford, who won the Heisman Trophy and led OU to the BCS Championship Game in 2008-09, said he’ll let his agent, Tom Condon, handle all negotiations. From all indications, he wants this deal to be finalized before camp as well.

While the negotiations should go smoothly because both sides understand what’s at stake and what the price range is, finalizing a contract never gets done in a flash. There are so many minor details that, even with the early head start, it’s possible that Bradford may miss the first few days. We’ll keep you updated with any breaking news as negotiations continue.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/07/16/10/Report-Bradford-asking-for-record-contra/landing_big12.html?blockID=272644&feedID=3585

hawaiiansteel
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
this money should be going to proven veterans, not rookies that haven't played a down yet in the NFL.

NJ-STEELER
07-17-2010, 04:00 PM
even the veteran players (the ones who will have a vote) are for a rookie cap.

i dont see how it doesn't get done

Doogie36
07-23-2010, 06:23 AM
It's like paying the WALMART GREETER more than the CEO of Walmart because one day that GREETER might become the CEO!!!! It's soooo DUMB!!!!!!!!

Shawn
07-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Pay for play. Until you prove you can get er done at the pro level you shouldn't be paid like an all pro. This will better the game for a multitude of reasons. More money for the guys who have earned it. Rookies with more motivation to excel rather than cash in and bust out. This will get done.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
It's like paying the WALMART GREETER more than the CEO of Walmart because one day that GREETER might become the CEO!!!! It's soooo DUMB!!!!!!!!

I never thought about the fact that the greeter should become CEO one day. I agree with you!!

A raise for all Wal Mart greeters!!!!!! :lol:

Ghost
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
<JaMarcus Russel> could have (and should) end any disagreement to a rookie cap.

feltdizz
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
There is no reason a rookie should make more than a proven vet.

How can you pay a guy so much based on college stats? I have no problem with paying a rookie MORE than other rookies based on projections but more than the best at his position who are already in the NFL??? That is crazy.

Ghost
07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Another one was Jake Long a couple of years back. Even though he had a great rookie season, when he signed with Miami he was given $30 million guranteed and immediately became the highest paid lineman in the entire NFL. That's just ridiculous for a guy who's never played a single down.

phillyesq
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I completely agree with everything said above re: the rookie cap. Veterans who have proven they can do the job should absolutely make more than rookies who haven't played a down.

The other big problem with the current system is that it really hurts bad teams. The whole purpose of the draft is to allow bad teams to rebuild. Instead of being able to do so, they're instead stuck paying huge money to unproven commodities, many of whom fail, further setting back the franchise.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Goodell thinks rookie wage scale doesn't need to pay more to instant stars

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2010

There has been, and will continue to be, ample discussion regarding the possibility of a rookie wage scale. Many favor it. Eventual NFLPA president Domonique Foxworth opposes it.

We think it's long overdue. But we also think that any effort to restrict the windfalls provide to players like JaMarcus Russell should also ensure that players who become instant stars should be paid before becoming free agents.

Commissioner Roger Goodell disagrees.

"I think it's doing that." Goodell said as to whether the system already takes care of players like Titans running back Chris Johnson and Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson. "My argument to that is one of the things that clubs are doing over the past several years is when they see someone perform at a level higher than they may have anticipated, they adjust and they try to avoid them becoming free agents by signing them to long-term deals."

Of course, Goodell explained that players like Johnson and Jackson have yet to get long-term deals because of the change in the system from a capped environment to uncapped, with plenty of rules making it harder to give new money to players already under contract.

Even without those uncertainties, the Titans could have opted to squat on Johnson's rights for three more seasons, the duration of his rookie deal. Thanks to the franchise tag, the Titans could have limited his options even longer than that.

Apart from the natural incentive that teams will have to sign great young players to long-term deals, a new system that trims out the fat paid to the men at the top of the draft needs to keep some of that money available for the players who end up being the best of the bunch.

That's really the fair thing to do. Teams already are dumping millions into the first-year contracts. Instead of using the cash as a carrot to get veterans to agree to take it from the rookies, the money needs to stay with the rookies -- but only with the rookies who earn it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ant-stars/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/goodell-thinks-rookie-wage-scale-doesnt-need-to-pay-more-to-instant-stars/)

papillon
07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I completely agree with everything said above re: the rookie cap. Veterans who have proven they can do the job should absolutely make more than rookies who haven't played a down.

The other big problem with the current system is that it really hurts bad teams. The whole purpose of the draft is to allow bad teams to rebuild. Instead of being able to do so, they're instead stuck paying huge money to unproven commodities, many of whom fail, further setting back the franchise.

I have always wondered why the veterans never raised Hades about the rookie versus veteran salary debate and simply gave it the old, "it is what it is" routine, in particular those vets who were not high draft selections to begin with and were never given that first huge contract that set you up for life.

As a union member that was something they should have been insisting on from the jump from their union representative.

Pappy

stlrz d
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Sam Bradford got $50 million guaranteed.

Insanity.

stlrz d
07-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Eric Berry got $34 million guaranteed. He's not played a down and is already the highest paid safety in NFL history.

Ridiculous.

BURGH86STEEL
07-31-2010, 10:55 AM

I have always wondered why the veterans never raised Hades about the rookie versus veteran salary debate and simply gave it the old, "it is what it is" routine, in particular those vets who were not high draft selections to begin with and were never given that first huge contract that set you up for life.

As a union member that was something they should have been insisting on from the jump from their union representative.

Pappy

I believe one reason the vets never raised Hades is because the rookies drive up the overall market value for positions. When vet contracts are close to ending, they know where to start negotiations.

I agree there should be a salary structure in place for rookies. I believe that at the very least, the top 5 picks are way over paid. Agents won't be to happy about a rookie salary structure.

ANPSTEEL
07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Pouncey will make significantly more than Woodley this season.

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Pouncey will make significantly more than Woodley this season.

Yeah...they are both working off rookie contracts, and guys that are drafted in the middle of the first round get bigger rookie contracts than guys that are drafted in the middle of the second round. Makes perfect sense to me. I have no problem with this whatsoever. I'd like to be able to extend Woodley today, but the Final League Year stipulations prevent us from being able to do that right now, without give him a Peyton-Manning-like signing bonus. It all evens out in the end, though. Soon enough, Woodley will be making $10 million per year with $20-something million in guaranteed money (as soon as the CBA is extended and we can extend to him such a deal).