PDA

View Full Version : Ravens '10

NorthCoast
07-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Anyone else share some concern with how the Ravens have upgraded the WR position? It has been the one lagging piece of their offense and now they have Boldin, who is a genuine stud, coming in. Given how they performed last season, I think teams will be going after our DBs big time. I know I would. With Rice out of the backfield, Flacco finally has a few tools to work with. I think their main problem will be how to prevent other teams from scoring because they have DB issues themselves. I don't think Reed will see the field this season, or if he does it will be spot duty.

fezziwig
07-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Every year teams try to improve and that is just how it is. Plug in this player and plug in that player. The chess match is always going to go on. Competition makes you better and the Steelers will need to put more points on the board because their defense can keep everyone under two touch downs.
I hope Ben and Wallace can become a dynamic duo along with Randell El and Hines. I would have more faith in our team if our O-line didn't stink so badly. Bruce Arians is so stupid he can't even figure out that full back can help when you have such a poor offensive line.

Djfan
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
I think that they have to be the odds on favorite to win the AFC North.

AB is the real deal. His numbers won't be as good as when he was opposite Larry Fitz, but LF's numbers will go down not having AB, too.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Boldin, like Ward, it a hard-nosed, tough posession receiver.

Stallworth, like Wallace, is a deep threat.

Mason, like Randle El, offers a veteran presence in the slot.

And for all the concern we have about our corners, they have the same concerns, plus their starters are coming off injury. Both of our elite safeties have been dinged up of late, but it seems like Troy is in better condition now than Reed, who was openly pondering retirement at one point. They have just as much to worry about with covering our receivers as we have to worry about with theirs.

Jooser
07-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Boldin, like Ward, it a hard-nosed, tough posession receiver.

Stallworth, like Wallace, is a deep threat.

Mason, like Randle El, offers a veteran presence in the slot.

And for all the concern we have about our corners, they have the same concerns, plus their starters are coming off injury. Both of our elite safeties have been dinged up of late, but it seems like Troy is in better condition now than Reed, who was openly pondering retirement at one point. They have just as much to worry about with covering our receivers as we have to worry about with theirs.

:Agree All good points Ruthless, and I'd add that AB has been prone to injury in the past, especially his knees. He's also less of a team player than Hines has demonstrated to be in the past. I look for AB to come out of the gates hot and fade down the stretch, the AFC North is a much more hard-nosed division to deal with than the candy-assed NFC West. Just my thoughts. Also, Stallworth is coming back after a year out of football, so who knows how that will turn out at this point.

grotonsteel
07-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I am not worried about Boldin yet. We need to see how it works out between Boldin and Flacco.I think it might not click like Mason-Flacco.

Ravens have a huge advantage as far as O-line and their running game goes over Steelers.

SteelHoss
07-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I am not worried about Boldin yet. We need to see how it works out between Boldin and Flacco.I think it might not click like Mason-Flacco.

Ravens have a huge advantage as far as O-line and their running game goes over Steelers.

:Agree I'm not too worried about Boldin either. He's definitely an improvement, but I have a feeling his production will fall off with the overall change. The NFC West IMO, has great weather condiitions and is rather soft all-over. 6 games in the AFC North is a challenge to anyone new. Make sense?

fezziwig
07-17-2010, 05:32 PM
We would probably have been thrilled to get Boldin or some of us would but I wouldn't be. The guy is not aging too well in my opinion and when you start seing a player and especially a receiver move along the teams they, are not all they believe themselves to be.
If we picked him up I would be worried about injuries, cry baby stuff about not getting the ball, etc. Let the Ravens have him because they have never found the formula to make it over the top with offense.

stlrz d
07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Boldin isn't going to improve Flacco's accuracy over the middle.

ikestops85
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Boldin reminds me a lot of Hines Ward. He is one of the toughest receivers in the game today. He has no qualms about getting hit or doing the hitting. I don't think he is the blocker that Ward is but for those of you portraying him to be soft I think you are way off base.

In my mind the biggest question is if Flaccid can get the ball into Boldin's hands. If he can then the Ravens will have a very potent offense. We all know the Ravens can run the ball so if they can become dangerous in the air they could be known more as an offensive team than a defensive team.

It will just make it tougher on us to wrestle the division championship away from them. I have faith that we can. Sometimes I just worry about my heart with all the close games the steelers have put us through the last couple of years. Is there a reason we can't blow the opponent out and I can enjoy my beer instead of seeing the scattered bottles around the house (I tend to pace in between plays) after another nail biter?